• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says the Future of Banjo-Kazooie Is Up to Rare. Rare the the witch is in your court

What should Rare do with the Banjo Kazooie IP

• Make a new game themselves

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • Get a another studio to make a new game

Votes: 66 57.4%

• Total voters

Mildudon

Phil Spencer Says:
On whether Rare might do more with some of its classic characters such as Banjo-Kazooie and Conker: “I leave it up to the studios in terms of the things that they want to go work on,” he said. “I have a lot of respect for Rare and the work that they do. They do like building new things, and they’ve seen success with Sea of Thieves. I think they’re really excited about Everwild. But also the response to Battletoads was nice. And I think [partner studio] Dlala did a good job with the game. And so I think it’s just always a balance. My inbox is full of: ‘Let every studio do new [intellectual property].’ And also: ‘Why have you brought back Crimson Skies and Blinx?’

What does this mean for the future of the banjo Kazooie franchise? Only time will tell but I for one like Rare to either make a new game themselves or get another studio to do it. In my opinion it is to good of an IP to go to waste.

Codes 208

crash and spyro’s resurrection (and the ungodly success of sm3das) all price there’s still a place for 3d platformers. Give it to us already MS/rare. You know we want it!
This means Banjo sequel by double helix and iron galaxy while rare makes more pirates.
Ftfy

EDMIX

Hell no. YL is trash.

Yet funny enough, that is where the actual Banjo team is sooooooooo

Consider having Rare do it would be worse, its by a team where the majority never even worked on those IP. So I'd rather have it handled by the core original team, even if that team made a flop with their last title.

DerFuggler

I think Microsoft should acquire Gears for Breakfast (A Hat in Time). Have them work on it and even if they're not interested, I think they could do a lot more with MS$.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Unless there’s a fantastic 3D platformer developer whose name doesn’t begin with N, I don’t think it should be done.

The skill set to create these kinds of games just doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Even what’s left of actual old Rare took their best shot at it, and apparently whiffed.

Best to just keep the old memories, or do a replay on GamePass, until it can be done justice.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I think Microsoft should acquire Gears for Breakfast (A Hat in Time). Have them work on it and even if they're not interested, I think they could do a lot more with MS$.

Resetera will boycot Rare and MS for eternity if that happens.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
They should do some quality remakes of the first two, to gauge interest, then go from there. Same for many of their old ip's honestly, not just Rare's.

I need a new Banjo-Kazooie. I don't care who makes it, as long as it's in-line with the general design of the N64 games. And as long as it's good.
Don't depend on Rare, Phil. Just find someone to make a new Banjo-Kazooie. You really need some more adventure/platform games, as well as kid friendly games.

Iced Arcade

they should make a Banjo that's a realistic grizzly that goes around shredding campers and collect the campers musical instruments as music notes and bones as collectable jigsaw puzzle pieces.... or ahhh umm

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Isnt this the same thing he said about remedy and quantum break sequel and then the creative at remedy came out and said theyve been begging for a while to make it yet nothing to come to fruition?

Man. This is the first poll on NeoGaf that made me really think hard about how I want to answer it. I really don't know what I would want. I think I'm leaning more towards let another studio take a stab at it? I just don't know who could do it justice. Was Nuts and Bolts well received? Because I really loved that one.

Saber

Gold Member
You guys bought Banjo and Conker to say its up to them to make a Banjo game?

Would be better if other companies picked Banjo and Conker instead. At least they would try to make their games instead of let them be forgotten.

Mildudon

Sell the ip to Nintendo. Don’t need kiddie platformers on anything but a Nintendo console.

JUp3aAHaEWWWHPEyBV7Mg1G5_P8XWjt_7VodrQYnKaWQ7Mo8lLa8hQqtPHusM27P-rzAN_k80sAAwjNOv4fcVm7Z_wLQM-Dm0G0WnSIclU0EAv_q2x3w9eEHOI_Oucx7zDukrXXBEjRBZoTKCCUYOLDBRvLVPtyHo-Y

Riky

$MSFT
Would love to see a proper Banjo Threeie and would prefer Rare to do it themselves, as well as Perfect Dark 2.

Mildudon

Good IP should not go to waste. This goes all studios. There is northing wrong with a IP Holding a long break. But come on it has been 20 years since Banjo Tooie. Nuts and bolts doesn`t count.

ZeroGravity

Banjo should stay dead if the alternative is ending up like what happened with Battletoads. And I say this as a huge Banjo fan. They already killed the franchise once with Nuts and Bolts, no need to go through it again.

That's a petty thing to say for him, if he goes ahead and tell them you do the banjo k. Game they will do it for sure, if they begin work on a game he doesn't like he can cancel it.

So yes,but in the end no.

Zannegan

While I'm nit convinced they could pull off another great Banjo (though I loved N&B), the concept video for Everwild looked completely awful, so anything but that please.

Top Bottom