• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says the Future of Banjo-Kazooie Is Up to Rare. Rare the the witch is in your court

What should Rare do with the Banjo Kazooie IP

• Make a new game themselves

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • Get a another studio to make a new game

Votes: 66 57.4%

• Total voters
Some things are better left as fond memories.
If a new Banjo were to happen, entrust it to a team that idolized it as players when they were young. Rare is not the same team it once was and those people are long gone.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I want a new wizards and warriors. It doesn’t have to be the same gameplay just translate the graphic style to 3D and make it an adventure.

Mattyp

Gold Member
People complained Microsoft didn't give studios freedom, now they have the freedom to do whatever they please and that isn't Banjo. I personally wouldn't want to go back to work on a game I finished 20 years ago when I have an unlimited budget to try any of the new dozens of ideas they have either.

That said it could be done well by Playful Corp or Toys for Bob. Playtonic shouldn't go anywhere near it YL was trash and shows just having a couple of developers from RARE doesn't mean you'll get any of the magic you had previously.

People complained Microsoft didn't give studios freedom, now they have the freedom to do whatever they please and that isn't Banjo. I personally wouldn't want to go back to work on a game I finished 20 years ago when I have an unlimited budget to try any of the new dozens of ideas they have either.

I doubt these theories of yours.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The great Company known as Rare that made that Goldeneye 007 and many other classics has been dead for years. It's only Rare in the name but all that talent has been long gone. I rather a talented developer make it.

LordOfChaos

Use it or license it to someone who cares imo. The whole "we won't make them do anything" bit is why there was no Half Life for 13 years and is still on a cliffhanger.

Playtonic's output isn't perfect, but I'm sure they'd LOVE to have the license rights and would put their hearts into it.

Seraphym

Playtonic seems the obvious choice for a 3D platformer, and yes I played Yooka Laylee.
Nuts and Bolts just didn't do anything for me.
Moon studios is another option for a reinterpretation of the series, Click Clock Wood in their art style and the seasonal changes would be awesome.

Rare are better off with their own original IP, it is a shadow of its former self. The days of Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Banjo, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker and Perfect Dark are long behind them.

jigglet

Banned
Don't confuse freedom with not having to make a return on investment. They have the freedom to choose whatever project they want, sure, but they also need to make money. They can't just do passion project after passion project without any regard to profitability. I'm not saying Banjo wouldn't be profitable, but I think it's worth pointing out creative freedom doesn't = do whatever the fuck you want without any repercussions. Peoples' jobs will always be on the line if the wrong calls are made.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I don't care about Banjo or Conker, but the fact that he mentioned Blinx brings me a little bit of hope.

Beardsalt

Man, I miss the old days..............
Nintendo had Rare
Sega had Treasure

Rare Treasures indeed................

diffusionx

Gold Member
Remember this isn't the same Rare that made BK, and not even the people who made BK back in the day could make a good new one.

Good IP should not go to waste. This goes all studios. There is northing wrong with a IP Holding a long break. But come on it has been 20 years since Banjo Tooie. Nuts and bolts doesn`t count.

Resources are finite and new IP are valuable too. By this logic any time a studio makes a good new game then now resources should be allocated into perpetuity to make games for it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Rare is a terrible developer.

Isn't Sea of Thieves supposed to be a good game now?
I don't think modern Rare are terrible, they just aren't as good as old Rare.

As for Banjo, if they are gonna do anything with it then surely they should let Playtonic have a go.

Give Conker to Double Fine as well.

MagnesD3

I don’t mean to hate but I’ve seen a lot of people suggest playtonic and honestly that would be a terrible idea.
As someone who was very excited for yooka laylee and played it for 4 hours it was just a banjo Kazooie skin on a mediocrely designed game that felt like it was made by developers who only understood banjo Kazooie at a superficial level and nothing more. Best thing in it was how Yooka and Laylee controlled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom