• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Selling as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo is not our approach

Yeah he knows Xbox will never be the #1 console seller ever again, they fucked up so bad with Xbox One. I do like the new approach though, but I doubt Phil would be saying this if Xbox One came up on top last gen (lol).
They shouldn't care about being number 1 or 10. All they should care about is providing quality content which will push software and hardware sales to the roof. I accept to be number 3 as long as I can sell 95 million consoles and 60 million gold subscriptions.

Spencer is either stupid or he is dealing with lack of support from higher executive level. I won't blame him if the latter is his issue.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
There was little competition. When one is selling over SEVENTEEN times the amount of another, that's not competitive.

Is there more competition now for PS5 because there is Switch, Xbox, Atari and Intellivision?

my original post you quoted with this insane bullshit was about competition being good for the industry. You then go off on how Sony has no competition becuase they sold more.

yet Xbox brought online gaming to the masses with a stable network connection (XbL), that alone was worth them exisiting. Sony took years to come up with anything that matched it.

next gen wii took off and Sony copied them with there shit ass move stuff.

competition is good for the industry not bad.

Sony can not see the future, other people have to do shit for them to copy/move the industry forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We've built the most mind blowing powerful dedicated game console in existence. Billions in design and r&d went into this project.

Please don't buy it. "

Honestly, it sounds like you're preparing us all for the mind blowing price Phil.
It may just be thw neogeo of its generation... More powerful (but mode 7 like effects like the SNES, or CD audio like the CD consoles).

They shouldn't care about being number 1 or 10. All they should care about is providing quality content which will push software and hardware sales to the roof. I accept to be number 3 as long as I can sell 95 million consoles and 60 million gold subscriptions.
Realize that if you're good enough to be number one your games and your cut on platform games sales will be that much higher... There is no benefits in finishing second or third in your category.

Warnen

Maybe you should think about yourself first?

Being disrespectful and engaging in homophobia isn't going to help you here. Take a break if you need to.

guy is tagged for trolling Xbox littlerly tagged as a troll and keeps quoting me.

guess I should just ignore them?

nothing homophobic about giving a bj to someone you love, unless you are saying that kind of thing is worng

man that’s homophobic dude.

Last edited:
guy is tagged for trolling Xbox littlerly tagged as a troll and keeps quoting me.

Well if you continue with this behavior you can earn yourself a different tag. The mods will definitely see the personal attacks that you used against him. Just because he has a rag doesn't give you the right to attack him this way.

Best thing to do is report or ignore.

nothing homophobic about giving a bj to someone you love, unless you are saying that kind of thing is worng

man that’s homophobic dude.
Well if you continue with this behavior you can earn yourself a different tag. The mods will definitely see the personal attacks that you used against him. Just because he has a rag doesn't give you the right to attack him this way.

Best thing to do is report or ignore.
I deleted the portions in regards to Cock and BJs. Argue the point and topic, but don't attack the user.

And their are tools for you the Gaffer to ignore an individual as well as threads that rustle your jimmies. If you believe someone is a troll, feel free to ignore them.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I hope its not another western studio, they have more than enough. I want god damn first party Japanese games from Sony.
I would be totally down for that. Microsoft had the western rpg locked down. Sony getting a few eastern studios including a rpg one would be awesome and best way to spend money. Problem is people are so impatient expect immediate results lol. You should be part of Sony I like how you think.

Warnen

I deleted the portions in regards to Cock and BJs. Argue the point and topic, but don't attack the user.

And their are tools for you the Gaffer to ignore an individual as well as threads that rustle your jimmies. If you believe someone is a troll, feel free to ignore them.

cools ignore it is then.

I apologize for my behavior. I get annoyed when I see personal attacks used by anyone.

I was trying to be helpful but I guess I went a little overboard as well.

Again sorry about that.

S0ULZB0URNE

But it wasn't a contest:

Dreamcast - 9 Million
GameCube - 22 Million
Xbox - 24 Million
PS2 - 155 Million

If the Dreamcast, GC and Xbox each had sold double what they had actually sold, PS2 would have still outsold them all combined by 45 million units.

That's not competitive.
The competition had quality AAA games and great gameplay experiences (xb live)

You can't play sales.

HeresJohnny

"Hey, don't buy our new system, we're fine if you don't" sounds like an awesome way to move units. With Halo moved away from launch and considering the reveal was pretty middle of the road, it seems like Microsoft is trying to manage expectations, which may be a smart move depending on if the console is super expensive. If either machine is priced above $450 at most, they're not gonna move the kind of units they need to move to justify the expense. They really needed Halo to look mind-blowing and stoke people up with that gotta have it feeling, but it looked like a current-gen game for the most part (partly due to their shitty stream, it looked better when Digital Foundry took a closer look at it).

It's gonna come down to library and price, just like it always has, and more importantly -- what Sony does. The next generation is Sony's to lose imo.

Say Sony sells 100 million and you sell 95 million. Being 1st or 2nd doesn't matter at all.
We have yet to see that scenario... And it would still matter.

MS still has to have a console that sells abovr 83million (good, buy their other consoles stuck at roughly 20 and 40 millions if I am not mistaken). For Sony a 100million unit console is a disappointment.

So it's more like a 140 million units vs 70million units ballpark thing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No worries. No need for apologies from anyone.

Have fun

What a nice mod:messenger_clapping:, better than that axe-swinging swagger called Mod of War Mod of War .

giphy.gif

bronxct1

In the same way Nintendo plays the game market differently Microsoft is taking a different route.

Series X is the most powerful console on the market if you want to play there.

PC gamers can play Xbox games there.

If you have an Xbox One gamepass still works for you

or if you aren’t near any of those, use gamepass to stream with xcloud.

there’s a potential to reach a larger customer base than just one console

if they pull this off, Sony could sell double the consoles again but MS’s revenue can still be through the roof. That’s why they say system sales aren’t everything.

In the same way Nintendo plays the game market differently Microsoft is taking a different route.

Series X is the most powerful console on the market if you want to play there.

PC gamers can play Xbox games there.

If you have an Xbox One gamepass still works for you

or if you aren’t near any of those, use gamepass to stream with xcloud.

there’s a potential to reach a larger customer base than just one console

if they pull this off, Sony could sell double the consoles again but MS’s revenue can still be through the roof. That’s why they say system sales aren’t everything.
Sony is already reaching the phone gamer base through Fate Grand Order. If you think MS is a genius for wanting to make games that run on phones, they are a decade too late.

The only difference is that MS think they can use the same set of games to sell to entirely different kinds of gamers at the same time. While Sony is making console games for console gamers, and phone games for phone gamers.
Phone gamers have wants and needs different to those who play in from of a TV. Sony know this.

Question is, does Microsoft?

bronxct1

Sony is already reaching the phone gamer base through Fate Grand Order. If you think MS is a genius for wanting to make games that run on phones, they are a decade too late.

The only difference is that MS think they can use the same set of games to sell to entirely different kinds of gamers at the same time. While Sony is making console games for console gamers, and phone games for phone gamers.
Phone gamers have wants and needs different to those who play in from of a TV. Sony know this.

Question is, does Microsoft?

What I’m trying to point out is that Microsoft doesn’t view being successful as selling the most consoles. A lot of people expect all companies to use that as THE metric of success in this part of the industry. I think it’s clear that Microsoft is moving past that. If they weren’t changing their metric we may be talking about Xbox being killed off and that would be good for no one.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Video games are inevitably going "digital". Priority now is getting people to start building a libary at your store.

Microsoft is all about the backwards compatability. Windows and MS Office are built around it. That does make building a libary there attractive and MS ain't going away soon.

Last edited:
Video games are inevitably going "digital". Priority now is getting people to start building a libary at your store.

Microsoft is all about the backwards compatability. Windows and MS Office are built around it. That does make building a libary there attractive and MS ain't going away soon.
Both phones and PCs already have huge libraries of games. They are not untapped virgin territory to expand into. Especially PCs, which some Xbox fans insanely think Microsoft already own for some reason.

MS is free to try and enter PC gaming and Phone gaming. But they have already failed to enter PC gaming twice already, and the phone gaming industry is downright cut-throat. I wish them luck, they are going to need it. if they can't stay in the console buisness then they are not going to have an easy time anywhere else either.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

MagnesG

Banned
Anyone tried the GamePass beta on android? Works well enough for me to be convinced about this new venture of theirs.

Smoke6

You guys are really missing the point of what he's saying. He's saying we could sell 100 million consoles and 5 games per unit over thier lifetime, or we could sell 40 million and have the all on game pass and or xbox live. Guess which one makes them more money?

It's already happened this generation, I haven't checked the numbers directly, but I would wager that ms made more profit on xbox one and its online services than sony despite losing the "console war" total sales figure.
100million consoles would make more money and it’s not even close dude! You’re not even applying all the factors associated with an equation like this to begin with!​

Smoke6

Yup

I said this months ago, Microsoft metrics for success isn't hardware sales. That's been obvious for anyone paying attention. Console warriors are just pissed because they're still worried about sales numbers
So you own a company with hardware and software and you’re not concerned about sales?

more than half your subscriptions customers are paying way less than the intended cost of entry into the subscription you’re selling and admittedly acknowledge that there was no profit to be made which is quite obvious!

so what was your point against?

Smoke6

Also keep in mind that buying a song used to cost 0,99$ vs buying a game that costs up to 70$.

So how do you translate that huge difference into a successful streaming service for games...
Because gp subscribers are only paying $1-15 for games costing them millions to make! It don’t take millions to make a song!

MrFunSocks

Banned
All-in on games as a service it seems.
I know you mean this as a negative, but most people don’t seem to realise that 90% of single player games are also “GaaS”. TLOU2 is GaaS. RDR2 is GaaS. Cyberpunk will be GaaS.

GaaS means games get support after release, and I have no idea why anyone would *not* want that.

Gears 5 had a big ol campaign that people liked. It’s GaaS. Halo 3 was GaaS and it was universally loved.

People need to stop believing FUD.

Because gp subscribers are only paying $1-15 for games costing them millions to make! It don’t take millions to make a song!
Game pass isn’t supposed to make a profit from subscriptions. It will run at a loss in that regard forever. That’s ok with Ms because that’s literally the plan.

where it will make them profit is by getting people in the ecosystem. People that are on Xbox because of game pass will spend money on micro transactions and digital games in the Xbox ecosystem, and that’s where the big money comes.

game pass is a loss leader. It’s quite astounding how many people don’t realise this.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
GaaS means games get support after release, and I have no idea why anyone would *not* want that

That's not what it means. It means they plan to profit off it by getting you to play it for years and invested enough to spend more and more money on the same game.

It's basically the F2P model locked behind an additional paywall.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah he knows Xbox will never be the #1 console seller ever again, they fucked up so bad with Xbox One. I do like the new approach though, but I doubt Phil would be saying this if Xbox One came up on top last gen (lol).
Microsoft don’t care about being number 1, they care about healthy profits and recurring revenue.

Despite what the console warriors like to say, it’s not an “if you ain’t first you’re last” business. Apple don’t sell the most phones yet they make mass profits and could not care less about not selling the most hardware.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That's not what it means. It means they plan to profit off it by getting you to play it for years and invested enough to spend more and more money on the same game.

It's basically the F2P model locked behind an additional paywall.
That’s literally what GaaS is lol. Updates and content delivered over time. You know, like TLOU2, RDR2, etc.

It doesn’t mean every single game is going to just be all multiplayer filled with battle passes and paid cosmetics and loot boxes lol. It means things like Hitman where they constantly release new content even for single player games. It means games like destiny with constantly releasing expansions.

It’s not the f2p model lol.

Shmunter

That’s literally what GaaS is lol. Updates and content delivered over time. You know, like TLOU2, RDR2, etc.

It doesn’t mean every single game is going to just be all multiplayer filled with battle passes and paid cosmetics and loot boxes lol. It means things like Hitman where they constantly release new content even for single player games. It means games like destiny with constantly releasing expansions.

It’s not the f2p model lol.
Releasing content overtime is not a service.

GaaS is about creating an economic system within a game that has no defined end.

Jon Neu

Banned
So let's stop with the fud about Sony censoring shit, basing in one or two random cases.... Shall we?

First, not every criticism of your favourite company is “FUD”.

Second, it‘s very clear Sony has gone woke recently and has been more than “one or two random cases” showing that. You can even see the shift in their exclusives.

Sony cancelling a white lady WNBA executive for critizicing BLM

This is a morally corrupt company going full woke and cancel culture.

First, not every criticism of your favourite company is “FUD”.

Second, it‘s very clear Sony has gone woke recently and has been more than “one or two random cases” showing that. You can even see the shift in their exclusives.

Sony cancelling a white lady WNBA executive for critizicing BLM

This is a morally corrupt company going full woke and cancel culture.
Funny enough Xbox customers are completely okay with Xbox Studio making up complete LIES. And yet somehow view it as "Just American Marketing! Lies are normal!".

Trying to make moral arguments when a corporation only has financial interactions with its customers is strange. By all means, don't buy Sony if that is where you are going with, but trying to say you are making moral choices is insane.

Jon Neu

Banned
Funny enough Xbox customers are completely okay with Xbox Studio making up complete LIES. And yet somehow view it as "Just American Marketing! Lies are normal!".

What’s this tantrum and how it has to do with anything?

Trying to make moral arguments when a corporation only has financial interactions with its customers is strange.

Tell that to the company cancelling people for daring to voice their opinion and that opinion being outside of the woke narrative.

Top Bottom