• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Importance of new IP

vhialhp.png

yP3mxhH.png

Unannounced large scale games in development

xuQAN5X.png

On Gears of War and Black Tusk

yWomYIC.png

dCn8HMl.png

TPcbiyh.png

On Sunset Overdrive

0c9tY3Y.png

Quantum Break

0VZ9R98.png

https://twitter.com/XboxP3

I'll throw this one in on the house :p

gXmQbrM.png

6MWIneU.png

wJidCyB.png

komplanen

They can't battle PS4 with the same games running at lower resolutions or frame rates. They'd better have large-scale new IP's coming out or it won't be a bright future for the platform.

Silky

Banned
Microsoft IP always puts me to sleep.

You should see a doctor about that.

They can't battle PS4 with the same games running at lower resolutions or frame rates. They'd better have large-scale new IP's coming out or it won't be a bright future for the platform.

Came to say this. I don't expect MS to have a lot of in-house work, so the approach they have been doing regarding acquiring IPs is their best bet

SO looks better than that CG trailer? Damn!

sweet christ

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Talk is cheap, mothasuckaa. Show me the goods!
I wanna see some Viva Pinata type new IPs, something different and fresh.

Hold me.

I hope that Microsoft follows through with that line of thinking that a few new IPs are going to be needed to succeed throughout the generation. Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive look to be fantastic first steps in that direction.

Marcel

Hold me.

I hope that Microsoft follows through with that line of thinking that a few new IPs are going to be needed to succeed throughout the generation. Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive look to be fantastic first steps in that direction.

Let's hope the live-action stuff in Quantum Break isn't as cringeworthy as the live-action stuff in Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

I dunno, BF4 and CoD sales pretty much being the same between Xbone and PS4 make it clear people don't care about resolution or frame rate. The average consumer doesn't even know what fps means or 1080p is. Then again, BF4 sold millions of copies and it's a broken game, so maybe people don't care if products work either.

Bsigg12

For the love of god, revive Phantom Dust and let Rare do something not Kinect related and I will be ok with the fact Black Tusk is stuck with Gears.

SO now looks better than that CG trailer? Damn!
I wonder if he is talking graphics. I guess it couldn't be much else. I'm not gonna let these guys hype me for anything. BT working on gears was a hug let down. I have very confused emotions right now because I love gears but I wanted that damn spy game!

RoKKeR

Phil does a great job of interacting on Twitter, some exciting things in here.

I am actually quite excited about a lot of the stuff MS has lined up right now, they just have to keep the foot on the pedal.

For the love of god, revive Phantom Dust and let Rare do something not Kinect related and I will be ok with the fact Black Tusk is stuck with Gears.

he's talk about phantom dust plenty of times probably should be in the OP as well, it is probably coming since he switch from gears to phantom dust to gears again so who knows..unless he's trolling the shit out of fans which i doubt it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
he's talk about phantom dust plenty of times probably should be in the OP as well, it is probably coming since he switch from gears to phantom dust to gears again so who knows..unless he's trolling the shit out of fans which i doubt it.

I feel like Phantom Dust would be a candidate for an IP they would give Platinum for their exclusive.

Silky

Banned
How does Phil get anything done when he tweets all day?

Not everyone can be Yosp. Yosp tweets, sleeps, watches hentai streams and does work stuff at the same time

I feel like Phantom Dust would be a candidate for an IP they would give Platinum for their exclusive.

GOD no.

I thought it was Fable MMO.

Edit: It's new IP, still that's only one game and he said games.

It's 2 months. Give it time.

Marcel

Phil Harrison? I dunno. Pennello. Maybe Kai from Blood wake could be the new mascot.

Pennello is only allowed out of the J Allard Memorial Prison when they need someone to run damage control about underlying hardware issues. ;)

I'm calling bullshit in this one.

Bullshit that they have new AAA games in development? Come on.

There are obviously possibilities in games that are published by MS but developed by an independent developer like Ryse (Crytek) or Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac). Gears of Wars was a success doing just that. I wouldn't be surprised to see MS go this route with some of the old RARE IPs.

I'm mildly skeptical on the SSO claim that it looks better than a CGi trailer. Everything else is believable and rational, though of course he specifies no dates/expectations of when we can get to see all the teased 'new stuff' in their pipeline.

How does Phil get anything done when he tweets all day?

Shuhei Yoshida tweets way more than Spencer. They're both fighting to see who's the better Customer Service 1st-Party Studio El Presidente Tweeter.

You don't think anything else will come?

Maybe in 2016.

It feels like the pipeline from MS is pretty tight atm, and everything new comes after everything's that announced so far. ( RARE's new stuff after Kinect, Lionhead's new stuff after Legends, BT's new stuff after Gears, etc )

MilkBeard

I like how honest he's being here at least. No beating around the bush, says BT are pretty much working on Gears exclusively at this point in time.

With all the teasing that guy has done about phantom dust lately he should lose his job if that game isn't developed. I dreamed of a next Gen phantom dust in the 360 days and now its even better if I get a next next Gen phantom dust reboot sequel whatever I don't care.

ramuh

Pennello is only allowed out of the J Allard Memorial Prison when they need someone to run damage control about underlying hardware issues. ;)
:) Probably will have to assume a different identity for that. Maybe as Darth Revan and say he's from the future.

Chobel

Why they already tried with Ryse(yes it didn't really succeed but they tried) and we know they're trying this with Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break so why can't they have more than those in development?
Bullshit that they have new AAA games in development? Come on.

There are obviously possibilities in games that are published by MS but developed by an independent developer like Ryse (Crytek) or Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac). Gears of Wars was a success doing just that. I wouldn't be surprised to see MS go this route with some of the old RARE IPs.

2nd party games? He may have a point.

You don't think anything else will come?

I was thinking 1st party games.

komplanen

I dunno, BF4 and CoD sales pretty much being the same between Xbone and PS4 make it clear people don't care about resolution or frame rate. The average consumer doesn't even know what fps means or 1080p is. Then again, BF4 sold millions of copies and it's a broken game, so maybe people don't care if products work either.

Early sales are really bad source for anythign meaningful at this point. The messages (both good and bad) need a little time to find their targets.

With all the teasing that guy has done about phantom dust lately he should lose his job if that game isn't developed. I dreamed of a next Gen phantom dust in the 360 days and now its even better if I get a next next Gen phantom dust reboot sequel whatever I don't care.

In one of his tweets, he said he teases things when they are actually coming, so I think Crackdown and Phantom Dust are pretty much a given at this point.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I hope this is all true, especially on Sunset Overdrive having been a longtime fan of Insomniac but have to take everything from Phil Spencer with a grain of salt

Top Bottom