• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

nib95

Banned
One thing I will say, new IP be damned on this one. Get Rare working on a new, proper Banjo and Kazooie sequel. That franchise was one of my favourite platformers, in many ways topping Mario for me. Nuts and Bolts was just a shadow in comparison to the former glory of the old games.

Rare hinted at working on their older ips so i dont think its just kinect. if they can do that then new ips can also be done.

That's possible sure but I very much doubt and there's no confirmation of it. I think MS would rather keep them pumping out Kinect games and farming their old IPs to other devs

Rare just isn't anywhere near close to what it used to be

Rare hinted at working on their older ips so i dont think its just kinect. if they can do that then new ips can also be done.

Their hints was that they're constantly looking into their library of old IPs and seeing what new stuff could be done with them.

However, I recall in a similar vein ( maybe I'm wrong) that a bulk of their resources are on Kinect Sports atm.

Of course, with devs, sometimes they're being untruthful to lull us ( and the competition ) into thinking they're only making one game at a time, but as it is, a lot of the teases being made by RARE about their future developments are supposed to be 'after KSR ships"

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm skeptical about anything Phil says now that our very own insider claims Black Tusk was working on an actual game.

Looks like most new IPs will come from third parties. That's cool but doesn't scream "committed to new IP" to me.

I dunno, BF4 and CoD sales pretty much being the same between Xbone and PS4 make it clear people don't care about resolution or frame rate. The average consumer doesn't even know what fps means or 1080p is. Then again, BF4 sold millions of copies and it's a broken game, so maybe people don't care if products work either.

a) you're only comparing north america sales and
b) i'm betting most people don't have both systems so that they would willingly choose one over the other due to resolution/framerate.

anyways, MS have their work cut out for them if they really want big new IPs.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So again, what studios of theirs could actually be doing a new IP? Outside of small titles from Press Play and Twisted Pixel, nothing comes to mind

Microsoft's strategy is focusing on getting exclusive IP via not just their studios, but other studios as well. I would say that that's where most of the new major IPs will come from - look at Gears - it was made by Epic (who was a major third party engine provider, certainly not a first party studio). It's hard to tell what new IP Microsoft have cooking up but I think Microsoft is more interested in acquiring IP by well tested studios than creating a lot of studios on their own. For instance, Quantum Break (an IP that Microsoft owns) is being made by Remedy (who Microsoft doesn't own) - another recent example is Ryse (an IP Microsoft owns) being made by Crytek (a company Microsoft doesn't).

For all we know, Microsoft could very well have so many new IPs ready to be waiting to be revealed by companies we didn't expect. You can't look at Microsoft's internal studios as a gauge for what new IP they may or may not have and they can't really announce what companies are working on the new IP either because that company could very well be part of the big surprise.

Even with TitanFall - for some reason, I don't think Microsoft wants to give up exclusivity of that title. I think they will likely try to make it a Microsoft franchise, but I think they will fail in acquiring exclusive rights to that particular IP. However, as it is right now, TitanFall 1 is forever going to be exclusive to Xbox One. TitanFall 2 will very much likely be multiplatform unless Microsoft spends obscene amounts of money in trying to secure the whole thing from EA and if Respawn even wants or desires that.

I would say that the most surprising loss of a possible, exclusive IP that Microsoft very well could have retained in some fashion was Destiny. That decision, if Microsoft had such a decision, would have been bizarre not to make any deal - Microsoft could have even done the deal that Activision did with Bungie where Bungie retains rights but Microsoft finances and gets publishing rights of the title.

Overall, Microsoft is an IP driven company, not a studio driven one. That doesn't necessarily mean that they try and create many, many new and different IP, but that they focus on obtaining rights and control over IP as opposed to obtaining control of a studio. As for if that strategy will work? I think the strategy worked for the 360 and I think Microsoft will attempt to replicate it somewhat for the Xbox One (albeit with a bigger focus on more IP this time around). With that said, once the beginning of the generation is up, we will start to see the core IP that Microsoft creates turn into major franchises and that will, I feel, be their focus from that point onward rather than creating new IP throughout the entire generation. Once they get those big sellers that aren't just Halo, Gears, Forza, or Fable.

E3 going to be great for MS. Crackdown 3 please.

I don't believe we'll ever see Crackdown 3. It feels like Spencer rides the popularity wave and then move backs to the middle ground once he feels he's suckered in enough people...

I refuse to believe anything he says until I have proof in the form on an announcement video that there's a new CD and a PD coming out. It's all BS up until that point...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It wasn't bullshit. MS cancelled a lot of RARE games during the 360 era.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707691

Still hurts reading through that OP. What might have been...

No, I understand that. I just think it is bullshit that MS holds them back. Rare may have shit in the pipeline but if MS doesn't let them deliver it is a travesty.

I don't believe we'll ever see Crackdown 3. It feels like Spencer rides the popularity wave and then move backs to the middle ground once he feels he's suckered in enough people...

I refuse to believe anything he says until I have proof in the form on an announcement video that there's a new CD and a PD coming out. It's all BS up until that point...

I concur. 'Oh you like this...well we have something like this in the pipeline.' Bleh

I personally feel Crackdown 3 will come eventually, but I do agree on not having any expectations whatsoever on Spencer's tweets.

"Oh, you'd like that, don't you? I liked it too." is the vibes I get from Spencer whenever he throws out random IP names in his tweets. Yet I've never seen him actually commit to actually reviving said IPs whenever he's in an interview, or in a position that his words could actually imply something real outside of his throwing crackers at the salivating fans.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It infuriates me that Phil lied to us at some point about the Black Tusk IP. But it's really, really, hard to keep hating on him when he does these kind of tweets and kinda says, well, things that aren't lies. He gives us enough to read between some lines. I think he's aware of who cares when MS people say stuff, and knows how to talk to those specific people, especially those who will carry the message *coughShinobicough*. Hell, my favorite message of Penello was the NuAds thing. No ever even cites it anymore! Why? Because he handled it by stepping out of his bounds as a MS employee. Just like Spencer does every once in a whole.

It's hard to predict what MS has because they do a lot of commissioning. Maybe they have deals with 5 studios and have 5 games coming for 2015. We'll never know, because it's impossible to tell who those studios are and speculate on what they're doing. They could be anybody. Their small internal studio size doesn't help their perceptions in that matter.

I like that the managers of both of every Sony and Microsoft published game are both Twitter and community active. They are the gatekeepers, and it's good for them to have a finger on the pulse.

Prine

Banned

We'll see, but I've been impressed with how much attention he's given phantom dust. My dream game would be a new Perfect Dark, MS have some the most talented people in the FPS field, I'd love them to step in and help Rare (who still remain as one of the strongest technical wizards in the industry ) to create a hybrid FPS/Mirrors Edge PD. I'm expecting big things at e3 regardless.

Jito

Banned
Give me Banjo Threeie, Crackdown 3, Conker and Voodo Vince at E3 and I'll have your babies Phil. Where can they even take Gears now? Judgment proved you can't mess with the formula much.

G_Berry

Banned
One thing I will say, new IP be damned on this one. Get Rare working on a new, proper Banjo and Kazooie sequel. That franchise was one of my favourite platformers, in many ways topping Mario for me. Nuts and Bolts was just a shadow in comparison to the former glory of the old games.
Oh man oh man oh man how fucking awesome would a new Banjo be!!!!!!!

zhao3gold

Banned
Well, I don't trust this guy any more. All his talks including teases & hints are shits. He must be responsible for the lack of 1st party exclusives from Microsoft Studios.

viveks86

0c9tY3Y.png

Looked better than the E3 trailer eh? Hmmm. Wasn't the trailer CGI?

Copenap

Just wanted to chime in to say I appreciate the honisty regarding the capacity of BT and that they are only working on Gears, really fresh to read something from MS that is not obviously deceiving these days. Though he is still dancing around the "fact" the original presentation was obviously more than a concept work.

Microsoft's strategy is focusing on getting exclusive IP via not just their studios, but other studios as well. I would say that that's where most of the new major IPs will come from - look at Gears - it was made by Epic (who was a major third party engine provider, certainly not a first party studio). It's hard to tell what new IP Microsoft have cooking up but I think Microsoft is more interested in acquiring IP by well tested studios than creating a lot of studios on their own. For instance, Quantum Break (an IP that Microsoft owns) is being made by Remedy (who Microsoft doesn't own) - another recent example is Ryse (an IP Microsoft owns) being made by Crytek (a company Microsoft doesn't).

For all we know, Microsoft could very well have so many new IPs ready to be waiting to be revealed by companies we didn't expect. You can't look at Microsoft's internal studios as a gauge for what new IP they may or may not have and they can't really announce what companies are working on the new IP either because that company could very well be part of the big surprise.

Even with TitanFall - for some reason, I don't think Microsoft wants to give up exclusivity of that title. I think they will likely try to make it a Microsoft franchise, but I think they will fail in acquiring exclusive rights to that particular IP. However, as it is right now, TitanFall 1 is forever going to be exclusive to Xbox One. TitanFall 2 will very much likely be multiplatform unless Microsoft spends obscene amounts of money in trying to secure the whole thing from EA and if Respawn even wants or desires that.

I would say that the most surprising loss of a possible, exclusive IP that Microsoft very well could have retained in some fashion was Destiny. That decision, if Microsoft had such a decision, would have been bizarre not to make any deal - Microsoft could have even done the deal that Activision did with Bungie where Bungie retains rights but Microsoft finances and gets publishing rights of the title.

Overall, Microsoft is an IP driven company, not a studio driven one. That doesn't necessarily mean that they try and create many, many new and different IP, but that they focus on obtaining rights and control over IP as opposed to obtaining control of a studio. As for if that strategy will work? I think the strategy worked for the 360 and I think Microsoft will attempt to replicate it somewhat for the Xbox One (albeit with a bigger focus on more IP this time around). With that said, once the beginning of the generation is up, we will start to see the core IP that Microsoft creates turn into major franchises and that will, I feel, be their focus from that point onward rather than creating new IP throughout the entire generation. Once they get those big sellers that aren't just Halo, Gears, Forza, or Fable.

well said!
and I agree

Hyunashi

Look I am fully in camp Sony and am not impressed at all the the XBone that my brother has but MS have been doing great in terms of getting information out lately on what to expect. They have made some significant moves (even if I think the Gears franchise is going to continually be milked to oblivion) and have locked down some significant exclusives (D4, out of the many announced, being the one that has me hyped).

While MS seem to be setting the groundwork on what games and when to expect them, Sony have shown nothing and are absolutely discouraging. For Sony, the delays have been incredibly disappointing. Imagine for a second Driveclub was released at launch, Sony really have very little this year, except indies which they love to shine the spotlight on, possibly because it IS the only thing to expect this year (ugh...).

While I would never recommend an XBone, I could hardly recommend a PS4 at this point too. You have to give props to MS on the games front, they really are locking up a great number of named titles and showing their fans that they will pour out the games in the near future. Spencer is absolutely right in that new IP are critical and irregardless of the pedigree of their studios (I feel that people love to hype some of the newer ones with little to no track record), they are showing a commitment t bringing something new to its player base. Sony? They are probably more interested in promoting indies and hoping fans continue to hype about nothing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so that'll be why you just cancelled one of your new IPs and turned the company that was working on it into a franchise factory for an old IP

What studio are making those?

343 is Halo
Black tusk is Gears
Rare is Sports Island
Lionhead is Fable Legends
Insomniac: Sunset Overdrive
Remedy: Quantum Break

What else is left?

Rumored 3rd party: Platinum Xbone exclusive

Miles X

343 is Halo
Black tusk is Gears
Rare is Sports Island

What else is left?

Rare are working on new IP, so is Lionhead. As with the case of Insomniac and SO, (and Capcom, DR, Crytek, Ryse) ect. We won't know until they announce it.

Look I am fully in camp Sony and am not impressed at all the the XBone that my brother has but MS have been doing great in terms of getting information out lately on what to expect. They have made some significant moves (even if I think the Gears franchise is going to continually be milked to oblivion) and have locked down some significant exclusives (D4, out of the many announced, being the one that has me hyped).

While MS seem to be setting the groundwork on what games and when to expect them, Sony have shown nothing and are absolutely discouraging. For Sony, the delays have been incredibly disappointing. Imagine for a second Driveclub was released at launch, Sony really have very little this year, except indies which they love to shine the spotlight on, possibly because it IS the only thing to expect this year (ugh...).

While I would never recommend an XBone, I could hardly recommend a PS4 at this point too. You have to give props to MS on the games front, they really are locking up a great number of named titles and showing their fans that they will pour out the games in the near future. Spencer is absolutely right in that new IP are critical and irregardless of the pedigree of their studios (I feel that people love to hype some of the newer ones with little to no track record), they are showing a commitment t bringing something new to its player base. Sony? They are probably more interested in promoting indies and hoping fans continue to hype about nothing.

This is how I feel. Got both consoles at launch, tried Killzone and traded it back in out of disgust. Infamous doesn't interest me either, I didn't like what I played of the first 2 and after Uncharted 3, I am over that franchise. I feel like at the moment, Sony has absolutely nothing to offer me all year except for timed exclusive indies and slightly superior multiplatform games. It's a shame because I prefer their hardware, UI and overall message but over on the Xbox camp, I'm disappointed in their hardware, UI and focus on things not related to gaming. So I find it odd that that despite all that, they seem to be bringing it with the games harder than Sony is. I'm genuinely excited for Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Halo, Below, D4 and the potential for Crackdown 3 or a non kinect Rare game. Can't wait for the new Gears too. The potential for multiplayer in the vein of Gears 3 on Unreal Engine 4 makes me salivate. Just add the free for all mode from Judgement and we're good to go.

Rare are working on new IP, so is Lionhead. As with the case of Insomniac and SO, (and Capcom, DR, Crytek, Ryse) ect. We won't know until they announce it.

DR is not a new IP though. :/

And while it's fair to assume to Crytek will want to continue development of the Ryse franchise, it's harder to tell with Capcom Vancouver. They're not beholden to continue developing exclusives for Xbox, unless there's some sort of multi-deal contract that we're not aware of.

jem0208

This is how I feel. Got both consoles at launch, tried Killzone and traded it back in out of disgust. Infamous doesn't interest me either, I didn't like what I played of the first 2 and after Uncharted 3, I am over that franchise. I feel like at the moment, Sony has absolutely nothing to offer me all year except for timed exclusive indies and slightly superior multiplatform games. It's a shame because I prefer their hardware, UI and overall message but over on the Xbox camp, I'm disappointed in their hardware, UI and focus on things not related to gaming. So I find it odd that that despite all that, they seem to be bringing it with the games harder than Sony is. I'm genuinely excited for Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Halo, Below, D4 and the potential for Crackdown 3 or a non kinect Rare game. Can't wait for the new Gears too. The potential for multiplayer in the vein of Gears 3 on Unreal Engine 4 makes me salivate. Just add the free for all mode from Judgement and we're good to go.

I don't really understand this.

MS can focus on more than one thing. The fact that they are also doing stuff related to TV etc. obviously isn't affecting their focus on games, which is evident by the fact that so many games are coming out for the X1.

Miles X

DR is not a new IP though. :/

And while it's fair to assume to Crytek will want to continue development of the Ryse franchise, it's harder to tell with Capcom Vancouver. They're not beholden to continue developing exclusives for Xbox, unless there's some sort of multi-deal contract that we're not aware of.

Erm, my point was it was exclusive and we didn't know about it. I'm not saying there will be another, just saying MS throw a lot of surprises at us buying stuff.

343 is Halo
Black tusk is Gears
Rare is Sports Island

What else is left?

Turn 10: next FM
Twisted Pixel: probably working on the next game
Press Play: started work on the next game
Soho Productions: I'd say they're likely to be working on that 1 vs. 100 type project that was teased a few days ago
BigPark - reportedly working on apps now, not games
Lift London - god knows what; also incubating indies
Team Dakota - Project Spark
Good Science - I have no idea, not sure if they even exist anymore

As Dynopia already noted, some of their studios have multiple teams working on multiple games.

As for third parties:

Undead Labs - next zombie game
Access Games - D4
Playground Games - likely Horizon 2
Grounding Inc - possibly Phantom Dust?
Crytek - possibly Ryse 2
???

Erm, my point was it was exclusive and we didn't know about it. I'm not saying there will be another, just saying MS throw a lot of surprises at us buying stuff.

I would rather not make assumptions about 'unannounced exclusives' unless we have something relatively concrete to go by.

I'm sure MS and Sony both have partners and games from 2nd party devs that aren't announced yet, even outside games we know are in development. ( Playground-Forza Horizon, Undead Labs-new game, Zindangi-new PS4 Move game, Sumo Digital-new Sony game )

But anyone else is simply an assumptions game until we've got some leaks of resumes or other stuff.

Like, Micheal Denny ( Sony 1st-party UK ) claims there's over 50 external development teams working on exclusives for Playstation platforms. Until we know who are those '50 teams', I would rather not put on a checklist there, stating:

Sony Exclusives:
50 exclusives in development.

Miles X

I would rather not make assumptions about 'unannounced exclusives' unless we have something relatively concrete to go by.

I'm sure MS and Sony both have partners and games from 2nd party devs that aren't announced yet, even outside games we know are in development. ( Playground-Forza Horizon, Undead Labs-new game, Zindangi-new PS4 Move game, Sumo Digital-new Sony game )

But anyone else is simply an assumptions game until we've got some leaks of resumes or other stuff.

Like, Micheal Denny ( Sony 1st-party UK ) claims there's over 50 external development teams working on exclusives for Playstation platforms. Until we know who are those '50 teams', I would rather not put on a checklist there, stating:

Sony Exclusives:
50 exclusives in development.

It's not really assumptions when you're not naming names, just that they will happen. You can pretend you they won't but they will. It's what MS do. Quoting figures is pointless tho.

Turn 10: next FM
Twisted Pixel: probably working on the next game
Press Play: started work on the next game
Soho Productions: I'd say they're likely to be working on that 1 vs. 100 type project that was teased a few days ago
BigPark - reportedly working on apps now, not games
Lift London - god knows what; also incubating indies
Team Dakota - Project Spark
Good Science - I have no idea, not sure if they even exist anymore

As Dynopia already noted, some of their studios have multiple teams working on multiple games.

As for third parties:

Undead Labs - next zombie game
Access Games - D4
Playground Games - likely Horizon 2
Grounding Inc - possibly Phantom Dust?
Crytek - possibly Ryse 2
???
Are we really listing developers who just finished development of the previous game two months ago? Most of those developers probably just finished post development holidays and would have barely even considered whats next let alone been approved for it

Prine

Banned
I don't really understand this.

MS can focus on more than one thing. The fact that they are also doing stuff related to TV etc. obviously isn't affecting their focus on games, which is evident by the fact that so many games are coming out for the X1.

And this is probably the most games they've had in development in the history of Xbox at this point of a console life cycle. TV is one thing but theyve not slowed down at all with gaming, theres no evidence to back up that claim. Its always come across as a half arsed criticism from people that are looking for reasons rather than whats taking place.

I mean this: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-investing-1-billion-into-xbox-one-games/1100-6408992/

1billion investment into games - theres alot to look forward to if you enjoy games.

Miles X

Are we really listing developers who just finished development of the previous game two months ago? Most of those developers probably just finished post development holidays and would have barely even considered whats next let alone been approved for it

He said possibly for Ryse? Phil already confirmed PP and TP are working on new games.

I completely agree with that.

MS has been doing that since the 360 early days with Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery, and I'm sure they will do the same with the exclusive JP titles for XBOX One

amardilo

Shuhei Yoshida tweets way more than Spencer. They're both fighting to see who's the better Customer Service 1st-Party Studio El Presidente Tweeter.

I like to think of both of them as some crazy globe trotters (visit internal studios constantly) and they are tweeting from their private G6s.

It feels like the pipeline from MS is pretty tight atm, and everything new comes after everything's that announced so far. ( RARE's new stuff after Kinect, Lionhead's new stuff after Legends, BT's new stuff after Gears, etc )

I hope that's true as it seems like big budget large scale new IP are not coming from MS internal studios any more and are only coming out of 3rd party studios. It sometimes feels like MS is really risk adverse and they don't trust their own internal studios to try new things (in the core gamer space, as they do new things with family games).

Top Bottom