• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Yeah its fun, but I never take any of it seriously. I much prefer to wait till a product has been released and comment on that and judge that product. Maybe it is just me...

Trouble is I don't know anyone who has a XBox One and the Best Buys and other retailers dont have a demo set up. They have a Wii U and a PS4 to try but not a XBox One.

gaming_noob

What I find is that it's generally Microsoft 'enthusiasts' who don't like to read in to what these insiders have to say or try to constantly discredit them, for obvious reasons, as often the leaks aren't the best news and often do Microsoft's image harm, despite all the evidence there is by now to trust in these guys, and the fact that they are or have confirmed sources.

Also, I do find it funny proelite PM'd you to ask if you work for Microsoft, that's quite telling...

This plays both ways. For example, the likes of you posting heavily in negative Xbox news threads.

Sponge

Banned
I hope they haven't forgotten about the Rare IPs they are sitting on, too. Killer Instinct is an example of great things to come if they keep bringing them back.

Actually, Microsoft is working with Insomniac at the moment right? Get them to make Banjo, Conker or even Jet Force Gemini.

Also, I do find it funny proelite PM'd you to ask if you work for Microsoft, that's quite telling...

Yeah, perhaps it's telling. Telling of my common sense, that is, because the reason he contacted me was that I was apparently getting a lot of things right, going by his knowledge about next gen systems at the time.

Chettlar

Banned
I hope they haven't forgotten about the Rare IPs they are sitting on, too. Killer Instinct is an example of great things to come if they keep bringing them back.

Actually, Microsoft is working with Insomniac at the moment right? Get them to make Banjo, Conker or even Jet Force Gemini.

I don't think they have. I think MS just goes really slow. I mean, they took forever to get Killer Instinct out, and look what happened. It's fantastic.

I just REALLY hope they don't go free to play with Viva Pinata. I will literally refuse to buy an Xbox if Viva Pinata goes that route. I can maybe, maybe stand to see some cosmetic items that aren't required for gameplay (like, a neck brace for a swanana is required, and thus should be included in the game without the need for separate payment) go with microtransactions, but otherwise, nothing else.

But yeah, I think they're just being really careful with how they handle this stuff.

Interesting tweet from Phil Spencer in response to someone asking for some news,

Capture2_zps8b47b182.jpg

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/430188078616285184

Prine

Banned
ntkernal is a titan himself. Ive not seen a single insider get almost everything right, and deliver same volume of info. Crackdown 3 godamn

Dlacy13g

ntkernal is a titan himself. Ive not seen a single insider get almost everything right, and deliver same volume of info. Crackdown 3 godamn

I would say the jury is still very much out on how much or how little ntkernal got right wouldn't you?

What does this imply? "News" could be Spencer confirming the leaked info was not a controlled leak or it could imply otherwise. It's a vague tweet.

EDIT: It could even be denial.

Why even respond then? The guy asked for news, Phil says we've already head enough "news" this week. Sounds like he's trying to hint at it without really saying anything.

edit: nice find ^. Sounds like we'll get news soon. Ntkrnl did say we'd hear stuff February/March.

I feel like since Mattrick left Phil Spencer has been unleashed. Lots of good news and hints and teases at stuff the fans want like Halo 2 Anniversary and Phantom Dust.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Why even respond then? The guy asked for news, Phil says we've already head enough "news" this week. Sounds like he's trying to hint at it without really saying anything.

It was a vague tweet that could be interpreted in many ways, but Phil Spencer's last tweet definitely makes me agree with you now.

As much as I want to be "fuck you I know all!" I don't. I know people, they tell me things. More often than not those things are true, which is why I've never been banned. But even I, with the info I dug up myself, don't take it as absolute truth. I think this is where people may get hung up on what I or others say. I'm passing along a message. It doesn't mean it's true. It doesn't mean I believe it. It just means it's info from someone I deem at the time to be trustworthy. Have I been wrong about that? Of course.

I openly admit that if you are in the market to get a next gen console you shouldn't listen just to me. I know that I know some things, and I think I can guess some things... but I'm just one voice. Wanna buy a xbox one? I say yes. Sales thus far are strong. The library is strong. There are also a million in depth reviews on the hardware and games.

As much as I'd like to think i'm the authority I'm just one small voice. The problem is console warriors live and die over every word said. Is that my fault? Maybe. I say no.

This is what gets me about the "message" that you pass along. If you know it may not be true, or that you don't believe it they why post it? Why tweet it? You're not a journalist and so I recognize that the standards you adhere to are your own, but your statements feed the console warriors and you know they do.They also of course have some self promotion built in. Your "I'm just one small voice" humility comes off as being disingenuous because you DO want people to listen to you and think of you as an authority. Your podcast listener count does matter to you, you're on twitter for a reason.
To me it's really sad that you would pass along a message that you don't believe, but then intimate,as you have in the past, that you do this to get the truth out there.

The mort I like is the one that posts his no BS opinions and experiences on the various topics here on GAF, but in the posts above you make me question how frequent that mort uses his keyboard.

AlStrong

Crimson Skies and MechAssault, thanks. I'll wait here.

Would be great if they could work something out with Day 1 Studios for MA1/2. As different as they were from the MW series, they were still pretty fun and taking down the skyscrapers was just awesome.

Wonder what the situation was for MechAssault: Phantom War (DS game). Never played it.

---

It's probably too much to ask for other 3rd party exclusives like Kingdom Under Fire & Otogi. :(

No and Yes.

Anyway, Phil's got a good sense of humour and seems like a top bloke. But he still has a lot to prove, the XBO first party line-up so far has been diverse but the games themselves have no lived up to expectations.

Which games haven't lived up to expectations?

Only game I can think of that wasn't particularly great was Lococycle

I'll give you Crimson Dragon, not played it myself. Rest sold well, and were good/great games in my opinion.

Hmm does fighter within count for the lineup or is that disregarded as its made by Ubisoft?

Still thus far MS has done a very good job delivering good games

Its a Ubisoft game, I wouldn't personally count it.

Regardless of whether you count it or not, the only thing I feel they missed at launch was a game to justify the kinect. Other than that it was a diverse lineup of games people quite liked aside from CD and lococycle etc.

Top Bottom