• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Suggests Perfect Dark Reboot Helps Xbox Lineup Become Less Male-Oriented

silent head

In a recent interview, the head of Xbox told IGN Unlocked that details are thin on the ground for the reboot as of yet, but also said that main character Joanna Dark offers "a lot of modern opportunities" compared to the console's "men-with-guns" lineup.

"I think it's awesome that for us we can focus on a female protagonist in our lineup, we don't have a lot of that in our our first-party," he said. "I think Joanna offers a lot of modern opportunities that I love to see the team focusing on, having a strong protagonist..."

Last edited:

Interfectum

crushed noo GIF

Kuranghi

Its really funny to read these talking points pretending you have no knowledge of progressivism, like people couldn't create whatever kind of character they wanted in the past already.

Its "a modern opportunity":

Tom Cruise What GIF

They make it sound like we're perpetually in a state of arrested development with womens rights/representation :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Whatever, who gives a fuck really, I just want a good game and I can't wait to see gameplay/more.

Kuranghi

Looks like they will make her ugly...

vs.

IMG_20210601_231043.jpg

Battle of woke console makers!

*breathy aloy voice* "I HAVE to finish this block of cheese"

Seriously though is this actually real and not disengenuous due to wide angle for the specific shot or something? I know there were a ton of photoshops going around and I genuinely just want to see a fair comparison to judge for myself whether they gavaged her.

Gavage is a hilarious metaphor for them fattening up women in games actually :messenger_tears_of_joy: digitally "forced to eat" by the progressive climate.

Last edited:

elliot5

nothing riles people up more than talking about strong female protagonists (actually, just female protags, don't need to be "strong" lol)

he's not wrong though. Since 2000 they've had what... Kameo? Joule? More recently, Kait? Other leads come in via recent acquisitions like Senua and Emily.

Most other games in MS' line-up have been dudes, character created male/female, or cars lol.

Last edited:
Look at the people making this game. This is as close to an all star cast a new studio can have. If this game is bad xbox is cursed and should just give up

elliot5

Rare Ltd Xbox GIF by Everwild

Big Boi Xbox GIF by Everwild

Is this game not coming out or what?
It's unclear if that's a playable character or what with Everwild. No real point in commenting on that. It could even be like Sea of Thieves which is a character creation. There's a pretty big difference between a protagonist and story centered around a character and one of 4 options/created characters.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It's unclear if that's a playable character or what with Everwild. No real point in commenting on that. It could even be like Sea of Thieves which is a character creation. There's a pretty big difference between a protagonist and story centered around a character and one of 4 options/created characters.
I don't know what your frame of reference is, but when we are talking about male oriented media, a game trailer featuring 3/4 women featured in prominent roles actively participating in the narrative of the trailer without relying on sexually or taking a backseat, is less "male-oriented". Yes maybe the game will be drastically different, but if the rumors about the current development are true, then the trailer is all about the tone they are targeting and I think it's fairly clear they are either neutral or female oriented.

So long as it doesn’t play out like the new Charlie’s Angels where every male is a caricature and always bad, and Joanna doesn’t have a constant bitchy attitude as her only characteristic, I don’t care.

Just make it like the old game where she’s cool, a little sexy, with some occasional humor thrown in, top it off with fun gameplay, and I’m down. Also gotta have Elvis. Hopefully that isn’t too much to ask for in “current year.”

Kinda wish they had just let the game speak for itself instead of making the default corporate pandering statement of “female main character is female, give us praise.”

Nintendo is just like “ey mane, new Metroid yo,” and Samus being a cool female character just speaks for itself as a cherry on top of a game that looks fun to play.

elliot5

It's first person and all you see is a gun, so you can pretend you're playing as Giga Chad if you want.
I think the rumor I read was something like first person with third person takedowns or cutscenes? Halo style, I guess? So... maybe no pretending as Giga Chad unless you have a powerful imagination

It's just great to see society has progressed so much since the first Perfect Dark in May 2000, when women were never allowed to star in video games. 5 years after that, it was amazing to see Perfect Dark Zero even be allowed to be made when women had never starred in a video game prior. Now, 21 years later, the unprecedented opportunity here to finally have a Perfect Dark game starring a woman in 2021 is truly worth celebrating.

Top Bottom