• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer, the hero we do not deserve.

C4lukin2

Banned
Interview starts at 14:28:

I am just going to leave it at that.

It is a rare thing that the main PR guy is both honest about said company, and actually has an understanding of how the soup is made.

The Knack guy for PlayStation had similar knowledge and expertise, but you would not see him being interviewed by random gaming sites.

Reggie love him or hate him, his tech knowledge was zero, and if you asked him about the future of Nintendo, he had no clue. He would learn the 3 games Nintendo was showing at E3, but if you asked him about online or the future of the company, my guess is that he not only was allowed to tell, but they do not even reveal that to him. Reggie only knew the info provided to him by Nintendo Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean Cerny? They have two totally different roles. Cerny is the PlayStation architect, Spencer is the head of Xbox.

And he’s done magazine interviews as well as website interviews, but that’s usually when they talk about the hardware in their vision/choices with it.

He’s not the frontman head and main marketeer like Spencer is.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

"knack guy" severely diminishes Cerny's expertise and contribution at Sony and he's also just in a completely different role than Spencer.

Spencer comes off well, but I also lost interest in the Xbox this generation and moved on.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You are pretty wrong about Cerny interviews...

Said that nice to know you love Phil (even he lying about some things in that Giant Bomb interview) but it really needs a thread without any info from the interview?

If you want to talk and make a thread add content to it... transcribe some part of the interview you found interesting and you a better title.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The OP is probably talking about his Giant Bomb interview he just did.

It's probably one of the most likeable gaming interviews I've ever seen. He honestly seems pretty cool.
So make a thread with the content of the interview?

I can’t blame people thinking this is a joke thread.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

He’s a good guy.
He does like to lie a lot though to save face.
Hence all the memes of ‘don’t believe his lies.’

But otherwise he seems nice.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

I'm sure his nice guy but at end of the day his job to sell us on Xbox and make money for MS, his not your friend and this is true with all CEO or PR person. As long as they deliver the games I care about I'm happy.

wipeout364

I like Phil, he comes across as honest and even though he is a Microsoft employee he seems genuinely passionate about gaming, Xbox, and Microsoft.

He seems like a person you could sit down and have a beer with, which when you think about his position seems kinda crazy. Compared to Reggie, Shawn Layden or Don Mattrick who all seem like corporate shills to me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Out of all Sony, Nintendo and MS suits, the only ones that don't seem like arrogant asses, slimeballs, or have that used car salesman attitude I'd say are:

Sony: Shu
MS: Spencer
Nintendo: Miyamoto

Everyone else seem shady as fuck.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
giphy.gif

I'm sure his nice guy but at end of the day his job to sell us on Xbox and make money for MS, his not your friend and this is true with all CEO or PR person. As long as they deliver the games I care about I'm happy.

He can be both? Just because his job is to sell Xbox doesn't mean he can't be a genuine person.

C4lukin2

Banned
You mean Cerny? They have two totally different roles. Cerny is the PlayStation architect, Spencer is the head of Xbox.

And he’s done magazine interviews as well as website interviews, but that’s usually when they talk about the hardware in their vision/choices with it.

He’s not the front man head and main marketeer like Spencer is.

Yeah Cerny. He had the knowledge and influence to be the face of PlayStation.

But at some point, Sony put executives front and center. People who can read shit off of a TelePrompTer.

Cerny actually understood Sony, for better or worse.

He understood the technology involved with Sony, unlike that goofy ass I would never leave my child with that man who became the face of Sony for a couple of years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah Cerny. He had the knowledge and influence to be the face of PlayStation.

But at some point, Sony put executives front and center. People who can read shit off of a TelePrompTer.

Cerny actually understood Sony, for better or worse.

He understood the technology involved with Sony, unlike that goofy ass I would never leave my child with that man who became the face of Sony for a couple of years.

Now you’re just being derpy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
giphy.gif

The job of high level people is to steer the ship and make the company successful. Doesn't mean they are asses. I know many high level execs having worked with them and they all seem like good people. Even when it comes to stuff like Facebook, they are no different than you or me when it comes to home life.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He can be both? Just because his job is to sell Xbox doesn't mean he can't be a genuine person.
I'm not saying he isn't, it just is not something I care about, if a system doesn't deliver on the game I want then I simply wont buy that system doesn't matter how "genuine" he is.

ethomaz

Banned
I will try to make a little summary (I did not watch everything because my favorite football team start to play in the middle of the interview):

- He read the forums do he started with the joke about Scarlett name being PS5
- He said one of the focus of Scarlet is the performance crow... power matter a lot to them
- But he can’t say they will be the performance leader because he have no ideia of the PS5 target (that is obvious not true but I understand he needs to lie about that in public)

Last edited:

C4lukin2

Banned
The way he went on about PSO really does show how passionate his is and how much he cares about games. IMO

His interview with Giant Bomb earlier today was great. Just very honest about the future of streaming gaming. Stated we are a few years from it being legit. Or at least it being as good as having a powerful system at your home delivering a superior experience.

joe_zazen

The job of high level people is to steer the ship and make the company successful. Doesn't mean they are asses. I know many high level execs having worked with them and they all seem like good people. Even when it comes to stuff like Facebook, they are no different than you or me when it comes to home life.

Successful ceos are either psychopaths or have traits of psychopaths. Like, seriously, do a google.

TwiztidElf

Hero? lol.
He does come across as genuine, passionate, and as honest as his position allows.
It's just that he hasn't delivered anything compelling.
Scarlett is 100% Phil, so it's his chance to shine.

That Google guy on the other hand.....ugh. Awful, and a liar.
Exactly why is it that any other box under a TV can't connect to any other companies massive single shard game hosted on any cloud service?

joe_zazen

Hero? lol.
He does come across as genuine, passionate, and as honest as his position allows.
It's just that he hasn't delivered anything compelling.
Scarlett is 100% Phil, so it's his chance to shine.

That Google guy on the other hand.....ugh. Awful, and a liar.
Exactly why is it that any other box under a TV can't connect to any other companies massive single shard game hosted on any cloud service?

“We have some amazing AI....hmmm i wonder how much I can charge for child killing robots?” Yeah, google is an evil joke.

Oh for sure he's a hero. A yearly salary upwards of a million dollars, a stable job with benefits. Oh and his job consists of promoting the Xbox in the best way possible. A true fucking hero, I mean fuck mother Teresa, damn hoe was taking advantage of poor people by producing snuff films. Phil Spencer is the true fucking hero.

Last edited:

kbear

Anyone have a summary of the Giantbomb interview?

The OP is probably talking about his Giant Bomb interview he just did.

It's probably one of the most likeable gaming interviews I've ever seen. He honestly seems pretty cool.
Ok nevermind, I'm just gonna watch it. :D

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Successful ceos are either psychopaths or have traits of psychopaths. Like, seriously, do a google.
Interesting claim. Every leader from big corporations to a home business plumber is a CEO.

So the guy running the variety store down the street or a real estate agent being his own boss are nutcases. And here I thought they were just people trying to be their own boss. Who knew they are bad people.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I read that any of their first party devs can now dip into their old IPs.

Oh word! There is a chance, and he did mention in the past he knew fans have asked for it.

Hopefully they also get one who wants to do a sports sim and make High Heat baseball since they had that license for well over a decade and didn’t do anything with it.

Not gonna hold my breath on the second one however.

CyberPanda

Banned
Out of all Sony, Nintendo and MS suits, the only ones that don't seem like arrogant asses, slimeballs, or have that used car salesman attitude I'd say are:

Sony: Shu
MS: Spencer
Nintendo: Miyamoto

Everyone else seem shady as fuck.
Yea, they are all nice people or whatever but at the end of the day they just want our money! They don’t care about any of us, just whatever we invest into their corporate products.

Oh word! There is a chance, and he did mention in the past he knew fans have asked for it.

Hopefully they also get one who wants to do a sports sim and make High Heat baseball since they had that license for well over a decade and didn’t do anything with it.

Not gonna hold my breath on the second one however.

B896-B073-E1-A5-461-B-9-DB2-A2-E3172-A348-D.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom