• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer, the hero we do not deserve.

>umm yeah im a gamer
>we are trying to do good with xbox
>i talked to sega about pso
basically nothing happened.
I just caught the end of it. He is also more transparent and honest than usual. Seems to really answer more than most people in his position, with details. And they do get into some back and forth on technical questions.

And they are just chilling and it was a fun watch for me. Seems like a cool dude.

brap

Banned
We must have watched different interviews. I saw hardly any PR speak and a bunch of candid answers. 🤔
There was literally nothing juicy in it. I guess I just expected something notable since somebody made a thread about it.

joe_zazen

Interesting claim. Every leader from big corporations to a home business plumber is a CEO.

So the guy running the variety store down the street or a real estate agent being his own boss are nutcases. And here I thought they were just people trying to be their own boss. Who knew they are bad people.

successful ceos
Trillion dollar global corp with ties to military and cia, they’re gonna be run by sharks. Maybe nice guy phil is the exception in that tank, idk him personally.

Anyway, handy socio v psycho infographic:

psycopath-vs-sociopath-infographic1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like him a little more if he puts out IPs that people been begging like Conker, Crimson Skies, Mechassault, and not depend on the same 3 current IPs for the next 10 year's or so... But Im glad he's still the one calling the shots on the XB brand and I'm looking forward on their nexrgen plans ahead.

odhiex

The Knack guy for PlayStation had similar knowledge and expertise, but you would not see him being interviewed by random gaming sites.

How about the Knack Guy's interview with some random website (WIRED) about the next PlayStation? hehehe...

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

I do not trust him. Over the past few years he always comes off like a jackass during conferences and then goes on after and does some interviews where he comes off as this grounded great guy and totally contradicts even things he himself says when on stage.
Now, that being said I also know very well the "public stage persona" and that it can be totally different than a real person. I mean would you ever know how great and charming a fellow I was by my press? Deceitful? Hah! Like a roaring lion? Come now.

It was a fantastic interview, and I do want to believe. I will look forward to the road to next year to see where things fall.

C4lukin2

Banned
I'd like him a little more if he puts out IPs that people been begging like Conker, Crimson Skies, Mechassault, and not depend on the same 3 current IPs for the next 10 year's or so... But Im glad he's still the one calling the shots on the XB brand and I'm looking forward on their nexrgen plans ahead.

I think the problem is, that you need a triple A studio to want to make said game.

I would love to see a new Crimson Sky’s, but if you force it, it will just be shit. The studio needs to be passionate about the idea.

Look at the Crimson Dragoon remake, or Phantom Dust. They tried to make or remake these games, and it turned into a wet fart.

You cannot will these games into existence. You cannot even buy them if the people originally involved have moved on.

ethomaz

Banned
How about the Knack Guy's interview with some random website (WIRED) about the next PlayStation? hehehe...
I would not call Wired random... at least in the US their magazine are the biggest ones you can get for the subject.

If Sony wanted to spread the interview across the tech starving in US I don’t believe there is better option.

Last edited:

renzolama

These post e3 Phil Spencer love fest posts always baffle me. I watch the interviews and all I hear is marketing speak on a slightly more clever tier than the usual Reggie spiel. He never gets asked any real hardball questions, and he never makes any definitive statements that can be fact checked or verified for actual follow through down the road. Microsoft's riding high on a serious smoke and mirrors game at the moment, whoever is doing their marketing strategy should be getting raises a lot faster than the people in charge of their first party development pipelines.

Last edited:

C4lukin2

Banned
Wired is a legitimate source.

Point being. Spencer is very open to what MS is trying to achieve...

Sony and Nintendo are a bit more secretive and do not have a figurehead that we can get honest direct communication from.

That is not a bad thing. MS is very much a team player, because it benefits them to be so. Their success is dependent on reaching past just selling consoles, and into providing a product for PC users, IOS users, Android and so on. When Spencer is talking about gaming, it is not simply XBox.

pr0cs

Great interview, thanks everyone for the twitch feed links.
He ate some humble pie for a number of things and generally seems pretty grounded on a lot of the cloud stuff.
His interviews are probably my favorite part of Xbox at e3. The pr stuff is out the window and he can talk off the cuff where his gamer cred comes out. At least he's accessible which can't be said of the other console front facing people.
Worth a watch if you have any interest in the future of Microsoft in gaming.

VAL0R

Banned
I really like Phil. He's my favorite video game talking head. Very slow to insult/criticize others and very quick to criticize himself and have a laugh at his own expense.

Edit:

I also thought the black lady (Sara?) did a great job at the presser and they should have her back.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Oh for sure he's a hero. A yearly salary upwards of a million dollars, a stable job with benefits. Oh and his job consists of promoting the Xbox in the best way possible. A true fucking hero, I mean fuck mother Teresa, damn hoe was taking advantage of poor people by producing snuff films. Phil Spencer is the true fucking hero.

Why so bitter?

HeresJohnny

I had a great boss who said his greatest talent was to eat shit gracefully. Spencer has ascended tp the next level and figured out how to make his customers do that while thanking him and asking for seconds.

Behind Spencer's Cheshire Cat grin is a cold, calculating company that wants to give you as little as possible for maximum coin. Don't pretend otherwise.

SaucyJack

Spencer honestly puts him self out there. Now that does not make him a great human, but he is the only face of the big 3 that comes of as honest.

Phil comes across well, but largely because he says the things that people want to hear. Now whether he actually delivers on this things is another matter ...........

Virex

Banned
I'm so fucking tired of hearing about Phil Spencer now. Just change the name to SpencerGAF and get it over with. Seriously it's all you hear on here lately.

Phil Spencer
Phil Spencer
Phil Spencer
Phil Spencer
Phil Spencer

He like any other company doesn't really give a shit about you. They all virtue signal and do the PR shindig because at the end of the day they want your money. He is no different. So fucking tired of Phil Spencer

jakinov

Interview starts at 14:28:

I am just going to leave it at that.

It is a rare thing that the main PR guy is both honest about said company, and actually has an understanding of how the soup is made.

The Knack guy for PlayStation had similar knowledge and expertise, but you would not see him being interviewed by random gaming sites.

Reggie love him or hate him, his tech knowledge was zero, and if you asked him about the future of Nintendo, he had no clue. He would learn the 3 games Nintendo was showing at E3, but if you asked him about online or the future of the company, my guess is that he not only was allowed to tell, but they do not even reveal that to him. Reggie only knew the info provided to him by Nintendo Japan.

That Knack guy is not an exec so he doesn't do PR. Normally those kinds of people don't do interviews but he does do interviews (rarely) and does great presentations.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
This is basically one of the best interviews all year and yet people can’t help but shitpost. Jeff is one of the best interviewers out there and the GB Live events are some of the best interviews you’ll get all year. Lots of insight in that interview, can’t believe people sum it up with “oh lol PR Speech” when it’s more than that.

To whoever says he is lying in that interview too, Do you have some proof of that? It’s fun to just say shit on a message board, but I don’t see you backing any of your claims!

Also, if you listen to any of the MS Game studios heads now or other parts of MS, it’s all about the user experience and a more humble approach. It’s a company wide philosophy that MS has adopted ever Since Satya took charge and can be seen in all MS products. It’s not just some Phil Spencer PR speech, that’s complete bullshit!

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't know if I'd call him "our hero" but as others have said, he is a good guy. If I put myself in his shoes, I don't see myself finding many ways to do a better job. The industry has a lot of complications that most don't take into consideration and he is handling them very well.

SaucyJack

This is basically one of the best interviews all year and yet people can’t help but shitpost. Jeff is one of the best interviewers out there and the GB Live events are some of the best interviews you’ll get all year. Lots of insight in that interview, can’t believe people sum it up with “oh lol PR Speech” when it’s more than that.

To whoever says he is lying in that interview too, Do you have some proof of that? It’s fun to just say shit on a message board, but I don’t see you backing any of your claims!

Also, if you listen to any of the MS Game studios heads now or other parts of MS, it’s all about the user experience and a more humble approach. It’s a company wide philosophy that MS has adopted ever Since Satya took charge and can be seen in all MS products. It’s not just some Phil Spencer PR speech, that’s complete bullshit!

Well that’s the result of a fawning OP.

Phil is a completely likeable guy and has improved Xbox perception massively since he took over. But hero worshipping corporate executives is not a great idea.

And Microsoft humble since Satya? Puhleese. They are still the same ruthless shark that they’ve always been. They’re a money making machine, they just have more likeable executives at the moment.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Well that’s the result of a fawning OP.

Phil is a completely likeable guy and has improved Xbox perception massively since he took over. But hero worshipping corporate executives is not a great idea.

And Microsoft humble since Satya? Puhleese. They are still the same ruthless shark that they’ve always been. They’re a money making machine, they just have more likeable executives at the moment.
Every company is about making money, and it’s not about likeable OR people at all, it’s their company philosophy.

MS was about pushing whatever they wanted down people’s throats. That has changed since Ballmer’s been kicked out. Now it’s about asking what the consumer wants and giving him what he wants, and if you do That they will come to you. It’s a different strategy and it’s working very well for them, just look at their profits and trillion dollar market cap. By asking and giving, consumers are coming back en masse to MS and they are reaping the profits company wide right now.

People want to use office everywhere, MS delivers. People want SQL on Linux, MS delivers. People want Xbox games on PC, MS gives it to them. They don’t want to use the windows store, they put those games on steam. People have been asking for crossplay forever, they deliver yet again! They dropped windows phone as people didn’t want it and put all of their services where people wanted to be, on iOS and Android. BC is another one that’s a huge plus for consumers, and Scarlet having 4 gens worth. is a statement to that.

Ask Sony or Nintendo to release their games on PC where lots of people would like to play them and see what do. You could argue MS owns Windows 10, however having Sony games on Steam doesn’t give a 30% share to MS, so it doesn’t really matter much. MS could have tried to keep their games to Xbox but they decided to do what gamers were asking and let them choose.

If Sony and Nintendo were more for the consumer they’d give them choice. As it is, they’re forcing you to spend extra money on locked hardware ecosystems when they shouldn’t have to.

So while it is PR, they are still humble in the sense that their design philosophy is a company wide thing being pushed by the CEO down to all MS divisions and they all abide by it and push that vision, and that is what you are hearing in those interviews. It’s transparent and you can’t say they are lying, you are seeing it in all things MS right now so they do apply what they say.

Last edited:

Senhua

At least he making XBOX game going multiplatform with Xcloud/Windows store and the rumored Nintendo's XBOX-app.
Not to mention Gamepass and crossplay.

Only Sony who still comfy in their wallet garden alone. PS NOW is worthless as long as only available and can be played by first world country.

This gen Sony is perfectly copy the practices of their competitor from 360 era.
- Exclusive deals
- Payed online
- No crossplay
While Xbox more like Sony at ps3 era to aggressively acquire a lot of studios

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
You may like him calling the shots, but remember he was there during the Mattrick Era, he called some shots there too, he wasn't the janitor at that time...…...What we have to judge persons by is results......Great games on consoles, not whether he looks like is a guy you drink a beer with......Like I hear so often in these threads......

I do not trust him. Over the past few years he always comes off like a jackass during conferences and then goes on after and does some interviews where he comes off as this grounded great guy and totally contradicts even things he himself says when on stage.
Now, that being said I also know very well the "public stage persona" and that it can be totally different than a real person. I mean would you ever know how great and charming a fellow I was by my press? Deceitful? Hah! Like a roaring lion? Come now.

It was a fantastic interview, and I do want to believe. I will look forward to the road to next year to see where things fall.
I've said the same, people who think Phil is not competitive and is some nice guy, that they can cuddle with or play "pinch your cheeks" with are some of the most naïve persons alive...….Phil is the guy who goes to church with a good christian girl, warms the heart of the parents with gifts and promise, greets the pastor at the door and has a nice chat, just so he could smash and run.........Perhaps even going the back route sans lube....

Tbh, experience has taught me, trust no one who smiles/smirks too much, it's like they're forcing a persona......Phil to me is like the bad guys in those kids movies...…..Nice guy in front of the camera for show, but a villain behind closed quarters..

Wired is a legitimate source.

Point being. Spencer is very open to what MS is trying to achieve...

Sony and Nintendo are a bit more secretive and do not have a figurehead that we can get honest direct communication from.

That is not a bad thing. MS is very much a team player, because it benefits them to be so. Their success is dependent on reaching past just selling consoles, and into providing a product for PC users, IOS users, Android and so on. When Spencer is talking about gaming, it is not simply XBox.
Phil is more open, because he needs to convince people to trust him or his vision more for next gen...After the horror show that was XBOX this gen of course he needs to go out of his way to prevent the fans he has left from leaving....Even Xbox faithful hyped for E3 this gen, where Phil promised them the best E3 ever, even these guys were disappointed in what MS showed.........Phil is the guy who promises the girl, they would get married the first day he met her, and now she's grey and using a walking stick, it's 80 years later....Look at Phil's history, lots of hype, lots of promise......but nothing tangible to show.....

If people are about this non-nutritional coolaid, where Phil promises all types of flavors/colors, be my guest......But last I checked, successful consoles were never founded on flake and fodder.......If that's your Jive, in an endless loophole of emptiness, I guess Phil is your man......That's for sure...

I'm not sure why you consider Cerny Spencer's equivalent. Spencer runs the whole Xbox division, Cerny is the system architect of the recent PlayStation systems, he does plenty of interviews, and seems pretty down to earth, especially when talking tech. I'm not sure who is the equivalent at Sony, I would say that I don't care if the person making the decisions doesn't want to be the face of the platform as well.

I can't watch the video now, but Spencer comes off as a regular management person to me, not very interesting or particularly relatable, I don't get why people hold him to such high respect, after all the Xbox platform has never been so starving for exclusive titles. Like Cerny he seems a bit uptight.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Was this thread about Phil or about sucking off Microsoft while disparaging the competitors in the same breath?

Goodness, I don't mind people expressing love for their brand, but the obsession with Savior Phil is unhealthy.

GPMubV9.png

Usually you cheer for a hero after they've saved the day, not after they've spent all generation talking about saving the day.

This gen Sony is perfectly copy the practices of their competitor from 360 era.
- Exclusive deals
- Payed online
- No crossplay
No exclusive deals means one of two things in this context:
1 - they aren't willing to invest in their platform to make it stand out
2 - they're so far ahead that they don't need to pay for exclusivity (hint hint Sony don't always pay for it on the ps4)

Payment for online play:
Granted, it's not as if MS stopped the practice

No cross play:
MS needs it now because they are so far behind that many mp games on their platform don't have enough players to keep match making reasonably fast... Reducing the value of Xbox gold (people will get a ps4 to play online, they get psn+ instead of gold... MS looses two chances of making money, the console + the recurring payments for gold, they need cross play to keep Xbox subscription levels viable).

Top Bottom