• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbox Game Pass has millions and millions of subscribers.

Leonidas

Today, players love it; we launched Game Pass for PC, with over 100 games for a PC player, and then we created Ultimate [a new subscription tier featuring Game Pass for console, PC, and Xbox Live Gold]. I think we had such a reaction when we announced it that our store stalled a little bit."

Spencer continues: "I would say the thing about Game Pass, relative to maybe some other subscriptions out there, is just its scale. Game Pass is at a point where it has millions and millions of subscribers...

"The next step for us is showing the PC player that we are as committed as we are on console [with Game Pass]," Spencer says. "When we launched on console two years ago, there were some questions from the community on how it's just old games and 'I don't know if I want to subscribe,' which was fair. We saw the subscribers grow, and then we added our first party in, now we have a lot more third-parties that are premiering their games. It has become a really positive force in gaming, my opinion.

Source: gameindustry.biz

Good to see Game Pass selling well.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate was a game changer for me personally as it's one subscription for both Xbox consoles and PC.

inb4: but wh3re are the numb3rs

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

mejin

Yet still better then 700,000.

you are talking about this?

3474156-2628421411-hyDju.jpg

mejin

You mean not good enough for you unless they're specific.

It is not a complete information, so it just feels like cheap PR for me. It is clear gamepass is growing as a service and would be great to measure this growth.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Why are some of you so invested in the numbers, genuine question? if phil came out and said we only have 10,000 subs then what?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Already getting ready to move goal posts I see. Once MS has a Billion subscribers, the narrative will be about revenue and not total subscribers.

The problem with the Xbox community on here is that they want to take everything as great news when this literally means nothing.

There's no denying that it's good for the consumer, but people cannot ignore the fact that they have been giving away game pass subscriptions for a dollar all year long, which will boost the number of subscribers by millions.

There's people who are going to resubscribe for 10 dollars, but more people are coming in for just a mere dollar.

That doesn't scream major success. They're probably losing money in the short term because they believe it will pay off big time in the future.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Why are some of you so invested in the numbers, genuine question? if phil came out and said we only have 10,000 subs then what?

I couldn't give a shit, I would still be happy as with the service. It's great value for anyone that has an xbox.

Good for you, but the majority do not. Lots of those subs came from $1.

Stop moving the goalposts, everyone I know pays full freight who has the time to waste canceling their $1 monthly promo, then waiting for another promo to come around and signing back up again? It's just a monthly debit for most adults for entertainment, $10 a month is still half the price of just one movie ticket for absolute endless hours.

Even if its only 1/3 of their membership who pay full, or to lazy to do what you think everyone does it still makes more than Sonys. But who really gives a shit? Stop downplaying good numbers and enjoy the amazing service for what it is.

Last edited:

demigod

I couldn't give a shit, I would still be happy as with the service. It's great value for anyone that has an xbox.

Stop moving the goalposts, everyone I know pays full freight who has the time to waste canceling their $1 monthly promo, then waiting for another promo to come around and signing back up again? It's just a monthly debit for most adults for entertainment, $10 a month is still half the price of just one movie ticket for absolute endless hours.

Even if its only 1/3 of their membership who pay full, or to lazy to do what you think everyone does it still makes more than Sonys. But who really gives a shit? Stop downplaying good numbers and enjoy the amazing service for what it is.

lol, plenty of people sign up for free stuff or very low subs and then cancel, ALL THE TIME. And no it doesn't make more than Sony, you have the receipts to back that up?

Mattyp

Gold Member
lol, plenty of people sign up for free stuff or very low subs and then cancel, ALL THE TIME. And no it doesn't make more than Sony, you have the receipts to back that up?

I said EVEN IF 1/3 of customers paid full price. Neither of us can prove that one way or the other.

I'm confused if you are trying to make a point or just fun of yourself :messenger_hushed:

Would honestly be more worried about anyone going to the effort of all that over $9 bucks lad, its less than 15 minutes worth of wage work. I know to some $9 might break the bank a month but.

ethomaz

Banned
Would honestly be more worried about anyone going to the effort of all that over $9 bucks lad, its less than 15 minutes worth of wage work. I know to some $9 might break the bank a month but.
When you see all the time the subscription being sold at less than $10... why pay $10?

I'm subscriber of Office 365 Home... people asked me the price... well it is R$250 year but I never payed more than R$99 because it is in constant deals (and I have a year to get a good deal)... why should I pay R$250?

I'm not against subscription services but show that you are paying full price in a public forum is really making fun of yourself... so I was confused what were your intentions.

Even if I pay R$250 in my Office 365 sub I will never tell anybody... thanks God I always found it below R$99.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Million + million = 2 million. Mystery solved.

Millions and millions were both plural. As has been stated they already had at least 2 million subscribers back in November when they announced they had millions of subscribers...

Mattyp

Gold Member
Subscription WARZ! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

War, War never changes. I couldn't give a shit what either numbers are but there was no reason for everyone to come in shitting on good numbers.

When you see all the time the subscription being sold at less than $10... why pay $10?

I'm not against subscription services but show that you are paying full price in a public forum is really making fun of yourself...

I would loose more money in the time it takes me to cancel, change their service, then resign up then the $9 a month it currently costs me. I could be spending that time on actual work, and invoicing. $9 is just such a non factor, a cup of coffee can cost that much in Sydney. (No coffee for me personally $5 can of redbull instead :messenger_tears_of_joy:) Thankfully I'm on holidays so I can spend my time shit posting but at a heavier then normal rate.

But I understand everyone's financial situations are not the same, that's what you're failing to take into account.

Some people would go to the effort of canceling, and yet some won't. Some people will pay $5 each a month to share a Netflix account, yet some will pay $20 a solely for themselves just for 4K even though they could share that cost with others. I just feel that people that think everyone and anyone only pays $1 and constantly goes to the effort of cancelling in a cycle miffs me a bit.

Netflix used the same tactic to get their foothold in the market with discounts and promos, now they constantly raise prices with no promos and no one bats an eye lid. This is the exact same tactic you are seeing in play here, build up the years while its cheap because sooner or later once they have the install base the promos will stop.

demigod

I said EVEN IF 1/3 of customers paid full price. Neither of us can prove that one way or the other.

Uhh yeah I can, you obviously missed the part where I said Mat said PSNow is ahead by a mile. But I already knew you can't back it up because you're just making stuff up.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Uhh yeah I can, you obviously missed the part where I said Mat said PSNow is ahead by a mile.

Does matt want to post some inside Microsoft receipts? Until both produce hard figures I couldn't give a shit about a third party on the internet.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

"Stop downplaying good numbers"

Stop overhyping it.

They have been giving out 1 dollar subscriptions all year long. Not just for a month, but for 2-3 months.

That's not a "good number" because IT'S A DOLLAR.

A single dollar.

They could sell Halo Infinite day one for a dollar and sell 15 million copies... That's not nearly as good as another triple A developer selling 2 million copies day one at full retail price. The 15 million number would be nothing to brag about compared to the 2 million number.

Riven326

Banned
"Stop downplaying good numbers"

Stop overhyping it.

They have been giving out 1 dollar subscriptions all year long. Not just for a month, but for 2-3 months.

That's not a "good number" because IT'S A DOLLAR.

A single dollar.

They could sell Halo Infinite day one for a dollar and sell 15 million copies... That's not nearly as good as another triple A developer selling 2 million copies day one at full retail price. The 15 million number would be nothing to brag about compared to the 2 million number.
That's what I've been saying too. How is impressive if it's just a dollar? And you can cancel it after playing the major games anyway.

kingwingin

They have been pushing those $1 deals too often for me to believe in its success.

When they announce how xbox ultimate is doing well just remember a lot of us got 3 year subs for $1.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
What a bizarre way to talk about a service. I'd like to offer Phil a few more terms for his next interviews:
-A boat load
-Hella subs
-A metric shit-ton
-More than the eye can see
-So many subs, we have the best subs
-THIS many subs *show size with hands*
-More subs than you can shake a stick at
-Dude, it's so many subs
-More than the competition, trust me
-Subs-a-plenty

Mattyp

Gold Member
Are you saying now NPD is not reliable? This is not looking good for you.

One country only? and NPD actually has a break down of full paying and promo paying numbers? Not even their shareholders get that information.

I was never aware NPD keeps track of when existing subscribers change from one payment amount to another? That I would have to see receipts on.

demigod

One country only? and NPD actually has a break down of full paying and promo paying numbers? Not even their shareholders get that information.

I was never aware NPD keeps track of when existing subscribers change from one payment amount to another? That I would have to see receipts on.

Yes dude, the Xbox's strongest market, that country. Are you implying that other countries have more gamepass subs? I bet you think other countries sells more games too than NA right?

DanielsM

Banned
Nobody knows what the subscriber numbers are unless they are official released. Sony didn't give numbers until last quarter on PS Now, but they do and have been releasing numbers on PS+ for years now. Microsoft stopped releasing numbers many years ago on pay subscriptions for Xbox. I would not be surprised by 2+m users as they're selling it for a $1, I'm still not seeing the forest from the trees as all this stuff is - is a rental program. Millions of subscribers also doesn't give context, meaning does that mean millions of unique ids since the program started, or current paying members, or how many user during the quarter, users paying full price?

My guess is way less than "millions" have paid for a whole year at full price since the program started, PS Now gives a pretty good guide. Microsoft wishes it had millions of subscribers at full price that have signed up for a year, but even if they did, these numbers are pretty much insignificant at this stage.

Cherry picking one month at a time, free trials and $1 deals.

Last edited:

Leonidas

When they announce how xbox ultimate is doing well just remember a lot of us got 3 year subs for $1.

Those of us who got 3 years had to buy at least 35 months of other Xbox subs before paying the $1 conversion, so it wasn't really $1 for 3 years...

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
How long until the "well it's only the people who paid a $1" stops? You know players can't get it for a $1 forever right? It's only a trial month.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
As a consumer, you folks wanna argue how much better Sony's services are doing, while altogether being basically fine with Sony raising it's prices for PS+ in Europe.

How wide is you posterior that you essentially don't feel how hard you're being fucked right now?

Gimme dat Game Pass Ultimate for a dollar all day anyday everyday, And leave my booty alone.

Top Bottom