• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - "Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will convince gamers of its value"

The_Monk

Thank you for posting fellow GAFfer.

This interview sure is... interesting. I feel Microsoft is so out of touch with the Europe Market and the way they communicate with it. It's a shame.

I wish they could hire me, I would love the challenge, in fact, I'm trying something. Already got a Recommendation letter from Microsoft in here so that's a great start.

Oppo

Mocoworm – this is like your Kinect thread.

Why do you keep posting PR fluff? Not trying to be a dick but I genuinely am confused as to what the takeaway is here. Is it a tonal thing, or...?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can we get some lawyers in here please.

He's gonna sell that box like a used car salesmen. I wouldn't expect nothing else but over embellishment.

"and a commitment from us that great games will continue to come."

How do I know the exclusives aren't going to dry up in the end few years of the consoles life like the 360?
It's still too much of a risk.

This is my #1 worry. Everything is just lip service and actually a lot of the features I think are awesome, but it's still a games machine first. And their lineup isn't providing me much confidence coupled with the past 2.5 years on the 360.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly couldn't make anything solid out of whatever Phil Spencer told Eurogamer, its is so bad.

But it hasn't convinced them so far? Hence Fifa?

Unfortunately MS, the PS4's all-in-one proposition has convinced me more. It does everything the XBone will do (bar connecting another set top box into it) for cheaper. So it's a hard sell especially when I have no need for Kinect.

Epsilon

Banned
Microsoft is either completely out of touch, or they have a distorted view of the value of their product.

or both.

This is my #1 worry. Everything is just lip service and actually a lot of the features I think are awesome, but it's still a games machine first. And their lineup isn't providing me much confidence coupled with the past 2.5 years on the 360.

Lip you say.

carvaultlips.gif

kpaadet

I like that the PS4 dosn't come with a camera, seeing Twich streamers with a camera is so damn annoying why do I care what you look like?

Not remotely convinced.

Until there are game so want I won't spend on these machines.

Ill continue to stack up stuff from cheap humble bundles and enjoy real value.

CoG

"And then Skype and communication, and the camera that's in the Kinect sensor that allows you to Skype and communicate with all of your friends wherever you go. "It's interesting, when you think about all that Xbox One is capable of."

What if wherever I go is not the living room?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Danmaku said:
It's funny to see how roles have switched in this gen.

You really couldn't make this turnaround more pointedly obvious if you were writing it as work of fiction.

Its utterly confounding to me that MS would opt for a strategy so similar to that which saw the PS3 off to such a sluggish start!

Maybe that third-console-curse is a real thing?!?

coldfoot

Banned
I see he's been taking PR lessons from his namesake Phil Harrison, tapping into all that PR experience he got from the PS3 launch, and applying it to the Xbone.

"What we're seeing in the pre-order numbers is the overall value of what they get in Xbox One,"

Actually Phil, I think what you're seeing there and this goes for all launch machines, is that gamers want the next best thing. They are ready to have it first and the early adopters will almost buy anything. Once the launch buzz dies off (January) we'll see how this all-in-one value convinces consumers when you have one machine which is $100/£80 cheaper and (the other) $499/£430 is too much for people to pay away from holidays and launch times.

Steroyd

"And then Skype and communication, and the camera that's in the Kinect sensor that allows you to Skype and communicate with all of your friends wherever you go.

The XB1 is a portable machine like the Vita?

muzzymate

Can't play 360 games.

This one for me mostly. If it could play Xbox 360 games (XBLA, Games on Demand, Disc based 360 games, Original Xbox games), then the $100 difference would be justified. If the Xbox One truly was an all-in-one device with Xbox 360 and Original Xbox support, I'd consider a day one purchase.

As it is now, I'm looking to get a newer version of the Xbox 360 to replace my Jasper model (fan has gotten too loud and obnoxious to put up with anymore). Too many games to walk away from that I'm still enjoying or haven't completed. Way more value in that than promises of value. I'll wait a few years and for a price drop or two on the One and then make a determination. I see no reason to rush into next generation.

I know I'm "backwards", but backwards compatibility is very important to me. Makes me wish I would have invested in a Steam box about 5 years ago...

Xbox One reeks of a fast as hell price drop (or rather dropping the Kinect) if there is even a hint of PS4 gaining ground in the US/UK because of it. I'm on the team CBOAT that they will do a Kinectless model very early next year unless they can get surprising amount of people moving.

Good thing too since 399 will ensure much faster adoption of next gen consoles and the faster we get out of the cross gen period the better.

Seanspeed

Banned
Its just normal PR speak.

We all hate it. Everybody does it.

I know we're not supposed to complain about thread-worthiness, but c'mon now. This just seems like another 'lets bash MS thread'.

Mocoworm – this is like your Kinect thread.

Why do you keep posting PR fluff? Not trying to be a dick but I genuinely am confused as to what the takeaway is here. Is it a tonal thing, or...?

Marketing guff as news is the basis for tons of threads from all the big players to be fair.

Marcel

Its utterly confounding to me that MS would opt for a strategy so similar to that which saw the PS3 off to such a sluggish start!

Maybe that third-console-curse is a real thing?!?

Microsoft has a design-by-committee console (obviously created in an insular development environment) that they couldn't commit to anything on until late in the game. These kinds of screw ups, mixed PR messaging, and overall arrogance are pretty much guaranteed. Sony was doing the same thing in 2006.

wapplew

Can Xbone use app from Win 8 store? That Win RT app?
If can, that the killer app for me, I mean lots of Chinese video streaming app offer free of charge movie drama streaming like 2000% better than netflix.

Marleyman

Banned

I think the lineup is loaded, and is so because they focused on it to the detriment of the 360 exclusive lineup towards the end.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
All MS' statements have revolved around "once you understand it, you'll be impressed".

So why don't you stop talking about understanding it and start actually explaining it

Sony haven't done a great job on this either but they did at least release the UI demo video and the did their bit on stage to show people how all this new stuff is going to help make gaming better, and it gets you excited about actually owning the box. There's been none of that from MS outside of the initial reveal which didn't address anything about how the people that pre-order games consoles (ie gamers) will use the system.

Top Bottom