• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - "Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will convince gamers of its value"

mocoworm

Microsoft points to all-in-one nature of Xbox One in price debate - "Price is important. There's no doubt about that."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-30-microsoft-points-to-all-in-one-nature-of-xbox-one-in-price-debate

"One of the key points of difference between the next-gen consoles is price, and Microsoft has acknowledged it'll play an important part in determining the success of both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One when both go on sale this November. Since both companies revealed their pricing strategy, Microsoft has tried to increase the value of the Xbox One, and at Gamescom earlier this month it announced that all Xbox One pre-orders would include a code to download FIFA 14 for free - in Europe.

Still, analysts predict the lower PS4 price point will remain a powerful weapon in Sony's arsenal as it battles to convince gamers to fork out their hard-earned cash this Christmas - especially gamers who have little or no interest in Kinect.

"Price is important," Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer told Eurogamer. "There's no doubt about that, especially in today's economy."

At Gamescom Sony announced it had seen over one million pre-orders for PlayStation 4. This announcement was seen by some as an attempt to spark Microsoft into revealing its corresponding figure for Xbox One, but Spencer declined to go into detail.

"What we're seeing in the pre-order numbers is the overall value of what they get in Xbox One," he told Eurogamer. "I feel really good about how things are trending." Spencer said the Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will help convince gamers of its value when push comes to shove and both are on shop shelves this Christmas. "People see a box that has the gaming stuff, a great lineup of games, and a commitment from us that great games will continue to come.

"And then Skype and communication, and the camera that's in the Kinect sensor that allows you to Skype and communicate with all of your friends wherever you go. "It's interesting, when you think about all that Xbox One is capable of."

At E3 Microsoft announced Twitch as an official partner for Xbox One, with integration with the Kinect camera for video streaming for those with an Xbox Live Gold subscription. On Xbox One you'll be able to upload your gameplay directly to Twitch and to stream Twitch content on Xbox One.

At Gamescom, Sony announced that Twitch would come to PS4, too. On PS4 you can broadcast gameplay direct to your Twitch channel by pressing the new "Share" button on the DualShock 4 controller, but Spencer remains unconvinced by its viability on the console because it lacks a camera.

"Twitch, I know it's on both platforms, but there's a camera requirement to it, so I don't know what you do with a console that doesn't have a camera," he said, "when you think about what we're doing in terms of letting you capture."

Another company keenly aware of the cost to upgrade to next-gen is Activision. Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin told Eurogamer the decision to let gamers pay £10 to upgrade to next-gen Call of Duty: Ghosts was in part prompted by the "tough console transition". Both Sony and Microsoft have similar game upgrade schemes, which allow gamers to pay around £10 to play the next-gen versions of some multiplatform games if they already own the current-gen version.

"People will make the right decision for their families," Spencer concluded. "There's no doubt about that. And I'm not at all dismissive of the investment people have to make and what that means. "I'll say our investment in them as a customer is a long-standing commitment that this box will be a great gaming, entertainment and communication box."

danmaku

Sure, just like the PS3 all-in-one solution convinced everyone. It's funny to see how roles have switched in this gen.

Majine

Banned
"Twitch, I know it's on both platforms, but there's a camera requirement to it, so I don't know what you do with a console that doesn't have a camera," he said, "when you think about what we're doing in terms of letting you capture."

It doesn't capture your face.... no?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You have to stream a video of yourself when you broadcast on Twitch? I've never used it but that seems like a needlessly restrictive policy.

Xater

Sure, just like the PS3 all-in-one solution convinced everyone. It's funny to see how roles have switched in this gen.

I was just thinking the same thing. The situation is remarkably similar and so is the PR speak. I am sure Xbox One will be fine but they will have to drop the price 1 year in or remove Kinect.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Xbone.

Sweet discounts for guys getting it first. It's grade a trolling.

level44

"and a commitment from us that great games will continue to come."

How do I know the exclusives aren't going to dry up in the end few years of the consoles life like the 360?
It's still too much of a risk.

kadotsu

Banned
You have to stream a video of yourself when you broadcast on Twitch? I've never used it but that seems like a needlessly restrictive policy.

It's also not an actual policy. The only policy of Twitch is that your stream has to be legal and videogame related. Many streamers don't even have a voice feed.

EagleEyes

I was just thinking the same thing. The situation is remarkably similar and so is the PR speak. I am sure Xbox One will be fine but they will have to drop the price 1 year in or remove Kinect.
Sony dropped the price of the PS3 like 6-8 months after launch, right? I think Microsoft will have to do the same by next holiday.

Goldmund

The box is more like a coupon sheet in most countries, for goods and services that don't exist and probably never will.

gruenel

Somebody should tell him that Playstation Camera exists, and those interested in having their face streamed will get one.

Apart from the fact that there is no camera requirement, of course.

Bedlam

"All-in-one" sounds substantially less impressive when you consider that you have to have an XBL Gold subscription in order to use most of the Xbone's essential features. Hell, you even need additional peripherals in order to use the TV stuff. That's quite a bit of money you have to pay on top of the $499.

And that Twitch comment... jeez. It's not like anyone streams or uploads gameplay these days, right Phil? Moreover, people who are interested in streaming their face on the internets can get a PS4 camera for 59 bucks. I'm not interested in that at all and I'm glad I will be able to invest that money in games instead.

Pinktaco

No. What the ps4 offers is what I'm interested in. I don't care about an all-in-one box, but more and better gaming experiences. The most attractive thing for the XB1 is dead rising and I can live without ._.

Blueblur1

I'm not a fan of fluffy PR speak. He's fighting an uphill battle at this point. With all that's happened and the fact that they're still charging an extra $100 for what is rumored to be a less powerful system, no PR speak is going to turn things around. They should focus their efforts on the mainstream media because they've already lost a good chunk of us.

EagleEyes

"and a commitment from us that great games will continue to come."

How do I know the exclusives aren't going to dry up in the end few years of the consoles life like the 360?
It's still too much of a risk.
But they didn't really. Xbox 360 still has more exclusives this year thanks to XBLA. At least now with the new consoles where games are just gonna be games and there will be no labeling retail or downloadable people will see the Xbox 360 has always had a steady stream of exclusives.

stryke

Somebody should tell him that Playstation Camera exists, and those interested in having their face streamed will get one.

Apart from the fact that there is no camera requirement, of course.

Not to mention the fact that PS4 + camera is still cheaper in some regions.

jjasper

I think the twitch comment is referring to the lack of a camera included in the PS4, otherwise known as an option.

He is saying you have to have a camera to use twitch and that without one you can't use twitch on your PS4 so for most people it will not be available. Which apparently is not true.

Raide

After seeing the Recording and Uploading stuff, I am glad they bundle the camera. Kinda cool to do that picture in picture stuff straight out of the box. Plus the edit options look really easy to use. I am sure it will lead to plenty of people using the features to upload their Battlefield Moments or KI Ultra's etc.

Since some gamers don't have the kit for recoding footage of their favorite console, it is cool to see this option. Then being able to narrate over it as well.

Darklord

Banned
Most features behind a paywall.
Can't play 360 games.
Useless cable box for most countries outside America
Voice commands for only a very select number of countries.
More expensive.

How is that all-on-one exactly?

"All-in-one" sounds substantially less impressive when you consider that you have to have an XBL Gold subscription in order to use most of the Xbone's essential features. Hell, you even need additional peripherals in order to use the TV stuff. That's quite a bit of money you have to pay on top of the $499.

Yeah, weren't there talks of a subsidized version that would be more attractive to consumers?

Most people will see the $500 price tag and laugh

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Well, I buy the camera if I care about showing my face on Twitch. Or I don't buy it if I don't.

Of course they won't talk about preorders. They had to bundle FIFA to preorders to encourage preorders in Europe. That right there is a sign things are not going well.

Top Bottom