• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philadelphia opening nation’s first supervised injection site

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013

Some residents are really angry about it.

It’s basically for people to bring their own drugs and have them be administered under supervision and medical trainees. To try to prevent overdosing and deaths. Residents are angry because it’s opening up near daycare centers and schools, and also that it enables addiction.

City officials believe it will help and cut down on opioid deaths.

Thoughts?

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Sounds like a BYOB opium den. I'm all for trying to help people kick that habit, but I'm not sure that approach will help anyone.

Reactions: quickwhips

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
This is a fucking disgrace as I'm from the Philadelphia suburbs. I'm hardcore anti drug and think sentencing and punishment should be way harsher, including execution with no exceptions for any one who manufactures, transports, distributes, or even just sells weed on the corner. That's how you end this shit.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
It has zero effect. Haven't they seen SF needle program? They claim that it works, but they don't tell you that the method delivery has changed and druggies have OD'd so the population is shrinking.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Oct 26, 2018

Some residents are really angry about it.

It’s basically for people to bring their own drugs and have them be administered under supervision and medical trainees. To try to prevent overdosing and deaths. Residents are angry because it’s opening up near daycare centers and schools, and also that it enables addiction.

City officials believe it will help and cut down on opioid deaths.

Thoughts?
Of course people are mad. What idiot wants sketchy places like this in their neighbourhood? Here's the answer: nobody.

Even a total druggie probably wouldn't want it beside their home.

For all the people who are supporters helping out losers, that's all fine. But don't cry if the gov puts it near your home or kid's school. They have to be put somewhere.

To me, these kinds of places should be in hospital wings in cooperation with the government. But I'm no city planner. It looks like it will be part of a medical building, so it's not as bad as a standalone office, but still, what you're going to get is a stream of weird people coming and going.

Going by a different article, this area is supposed to be near a decent area of restaurants too. Not the type of thing that goes with drug addiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son Tofu
Mar 27, 2008
Buffalo
goo.gl
My initial thought is, one could still get a hot dose no matter who is administering it. There's no way to be sure what shit is cut with anymore.

Still gotta read the article thought, maybe they considered this?

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I expect lots of lawsuits from the families of people who use this service.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
The feds can just come right in and arrest not only the users, but those that run the place and administration as well. They could also go after everyone who approved it as well. This is what they should do and use draconian punishments so it doesn't happen again.

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Philly was always the biggest cesspit of miserable assholes and misanthropes I ever experienced as an OTR trucker. The only pleasant individual I ever interacted with in that city was the dreadlocked secuity guard for the state-run liquor warehouse who was born and raised in Jamaica. We talked for about 2 hours around 3am while I was waiting for a door, talking about food, videogames, guns, and any other fun topic that crossed our minds.

Every single other person I had the misfortune of interacting with in that shithole was a miserable cunt. Not really on topic, but there it is.

Reactions: Queso de Grande

pennythots

May 14, 2019
It seems the ire from residents is directed towards the exact location of the facility, not so much the existence of the facility itself. I don't like the idea of this at all but it's far better than throwing these people into prison and ensuring they continue down this terrible path while also giving them a certified street level education on how to become a career criminal.

The location issue seems difficult to solve. For the purpose of the facility you want it somewhere readily accessible, not too far away from whatever public transport stops in the area while also being easy to get to for someone who may not have a phone but that also will put it in the vicinity of plenty of other commercial and public facilities that also meet that same criteria...

Reactions: Madonis

Macapala

Banned
Jun 25, 2013
These injection rooms are bullshit. Just let the dumbass junkies overdose and die. They're absolutely useless to society.

Mar 18, 2018
Well. Gosh. Here I was making my plans to buy property deeper into the rural south to get away from people shitting up the place with high crime and open use of drugs on the streets.

Hell, I can now move to philly because they got an office building and a staff to gentrify the use of smack.

Brb looking up housing on Zillow...

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
First we gave them free needles which they shit up cities by leaving them everywhere. Now we’re doing injection sites. Why don’t we just start doing the drugs for them too?

Reinforcing bad behavior is only going to get more people killed.

Also bummed to see Ed Rendell falling into the poop and needles scheme the Democrats seem to love these days. Rendell used to be one of the sane Democrats. I guess not anymore.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Philadelphia is a garbage dump of a city. This will only make things worst. It is a lazy half-assed guesture, instead of actually taking steps to clean up the city.

May 22, 2018
On one hand this seems like an amazing idea to cut down on overdoses but at the same time I feel like there should be some kind of program in place to help people with their addictions. However I do realize that the presence of such a program would deter a lot of people from visiting the centre in the first place so I'm not really sure what a good course here would look like.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Just another fleecing program to line their pockets with the ire on the back of citizens. Welcome to a sanctuary city.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
Soon you will probably be able to buy the drugs from them too.

How else are they going to be able to administer the stuff safely if they don't know what the fuck you are bringing in and what it has in it or its potency?

And how many people are going to use this anyways? People on this shit are usually so fucked out of their mind and paranoid they aren't going to trust a place like this anyway.

Last edited:

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
Next we need a place where we can get legal help to murder someone. We need to be able to murder people safely. /s

Reactions: slugbahr

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
It seems the ire from residents is directed towards the exact location of the facility, not so much the existence of the facility itself. I don't like the idea of this at all but it's far better than throwing these people into prison and ensuring they continue down this terrible path while also giving them a certified street level education on how to become a career criminal.

The location issue seems difficult to solve. For the purpose of the facility you want it somewhere readily accessible, not too far away from whatever public transport stops in the area while also being easy to get to for someone who may not have a phone but that also will put it in the vicinity of plenty of other commercial and public facilities that also meet that same criteria...
What a stupid argument. this isn’t going to stop being from dealing, or becoming “career criminals”.

they tried the same thing in San Francisco and drug use soared, petty crimes rose, criminality increased.

These programs have slowed the spread of HIV. You wanna ask Mike Pence how that HIV epidemic he caused is working out?

“HIV epidemic he caused” 😂😂😂

of course in liberal fairytale land Mike Pence personally went around and gave people HIV

Last edited: