• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philadelphia opening nation’s first supervised injection site

pennythots

May 14, 2019
What a stupid argument. this isn’t going to stop being from dealing, or becoming “career criminals”.

they tried the same thing in San Francisco and drug use soared, petty crimes rose, criminality increased.
San Francisco opened one and they have results in already? Source?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
San Francisco opened one and they have results in already? Source?
I am sure he is talking about them handing out needles to addicts which then litter the streets, especially in front of schools.

You don't have to stick up for every asinine thing "liberals" do you know.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
I am sure he is talking about them handing out needles to addicts which then litter the streets, especially in front of schools.

You don't have to stick up for every asinine thing "liberals" do you know.
He can speak for himself and I'm not really sure how my asking for more information is sticking up for anyone. These programs might have value (results seem to be mixed for similar attempts) but I wouldn't put them up in any community if that community doesn't actually want them there, will of the people and all.

The problem with any kind of this facility is it needs to be one, readily accessible to the public, but two, not in my backyard and I can't say I fault anyone for point two.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
He can speak for himself and I'm not really sure how my asking for more information is sticking up for anyone. These programs might have value (results seem to be mixed for similar attempts) but I wouldn't put them up in any community if that community doesn't actually want them there, will of the people and all.

The problem with any kind of this facility is it needs to be one, readily accessible to the public, but two, not in my backyard and I can't say I fault anyone for point two.
This is a discussion forum, what you post is open for anyone to discuss.

They are promoting illegal use of drugs. Crack houses get shut down because they are illegal... correct?

Reactions: slugbahr
Oct 27, 2012
1839 - The Qing Dinasty fights the British Empire over their rightful right to ban the opium trade that was destroying the country from the inside-out.
2020 - State-sanctioned opium dens manned by civil servants.

🤡🌍

• Fire
Reactions: DeepEnigma

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
This isn't as cut and dry as folks make it seem.

SISs have largely fulfilled their initial objectives without enhancing drug use or drug trafficking. Almost all of the studies found in this review were performed in Canada or Australia, whereas the majority of SISs are located in Europe. The implementation of new SISs in places with high rates of injection drug use and associated harms appears to be supported by evidence.

This systematic review suggests that SCFs are effectively meeting their primary public health and order objectives and therefore supports their role within a continuum of services for PWUD. Additional studies are needed to better understand the potential long-term health impacts of SCFs and how innovations in SCF programming may help to optimize the effectiveness of this intervention.
I won't claim its the definitive correct solution, but its arrogant to frame this as a simple problem. Most people who are addicted to heroin are like zombies and cannot help themselves. It goes beyond mere self determination.

Who cares if they overdose? That's less junkies robbing and crowding the streets
People didn't care until it started affecting white people. 47k dead Americans from opioid overdoses in 2017 will turn some heads.

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
This isn't as cut and dry as folks make it seem.

I won't claim its the definitive correct solution, but its arrogant to frame this as a simple problem. Most people who are addicted to heroin are like zombies and cannot help themselves. It goes beyond mere self determination.

People didn't care until it started affecting white people. 47k dead Americans from opioid overdoses in 2017 will turn some heads.
They made a choice to inject themselves with that shit. Why should I or any other hard working, sober person, gave to pay for their bad choices? Am I also responsible for the reject who tries leaping from building to building, falls and breaks both his legs? I think not.

People are responsible for their own actions. They must bear the consequences. Hardcore drugs are illegal. They should be put in jail long enough to detox and the put to work while they serve out the rest of their sentence. In fact, I think most prisoners in the United States should be forced to work. It's more useful than having them sit behind bars or in solitary for 23 hours a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: slugbahr

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
If you have ever set foot in Philly like I have, you know just by reading the thread title this is not needed or helpful and there are much bigger priorities to deal with.

Oct 26, 2018
Wow. Can't believe the city listened. Typically city planners are stubborn. But the medical building seemed to just cancel their lease because they listened.

Good on those people living in the area to tell the gov to fuck off with druggies, and the landlord agreed.

As I said, if any gov wants to support drug users with addiction facilities, plunk that shit into hospitals. Not neighbourhoods with a nearby restaurant district.

Only problem now is the city will just try to shoehorn that same drug facility into another area of town.

Last edited: