• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillips Hue - Lifx - Smart Bulb intergration

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Does anyone know of Smart Lighting integration for gaming?

I personally have Lifx lighting in my home. I would love to see home lighting support in games for better immersion.
I know Xbox has an app store with various apps that allow control over lighting, but none that I know of supported by games.

Is this purely a limitation set by Console manufacturers to prevent maybe opening the floodgates for hacking? or simply no developer has attempted this yet?

I have asked the question directly to Rocket League devs, who said they will look at my request but nothing has materialised yet.

Fingers crossed for future integration.

Catphish

Sadly, I have to do the integration myself.

Example, Rocket League...
When on blue team, "Alexa, lights to blue."
When on orange team, "Alexa, lights to orange." :)

But it would be cool if, like in RDR2, for example, if the lights changed based on your health status or wanted level. Or they changed based on circumstance. Like, when you're in a burning barn, the lights flicker red and orange, etc. That'd be sweet. 👍

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
My old keyboard did this, used to flash red/blue when you were getting chased by the cops in GTA. It gets old. Fast. :)

Caayn

If you've got a Philips Ambilight TV, chances are that your TV can integrate with Philips Hue. This will result in the TV controlling the Hue lights based on what's on screen.

Last edited:
The only game I know that does it natively is Chariot on the Xbox one, you can pair it to a Philips Hue bridge and tell it what lights you want it to control and the will change colour depending on where you are in the game. They go green when your in a leafy section and such, and they flash red when you take damage.

I always wanted Gears of War to support it and change the red intensity to match the crimson omen.

Mihos

Gold Member
There are a few projects along the lines of using a camera an raspberry pi to do ambilight stuff, there is also an app for your phone that will do that based on the camera (but it's clunky unless you want to make a mount)

XMBC/Kodi have plugins for streaming media

I think there was a project that integrated Alienware FX to HUE also, but I can't find it now. I will check my Github history. I have an X51 on my projector and was messing with it a long time ago. Razer Chroma I think does it out of the box.

There was an inline HDMI solution on, I think it was Indigogo, but it added lag to the video stream. So good for movies, but not gaming.

Right now, I have my hue tied to motion sensors through SmartThings so I know when someone is coming down the stairs, at the front door etc. I hate when people sneak up behind me when I am entranced.

edit: Found the GitHub, it is probably way out of date.
https://github.com/Archomeda/lightfx-extender

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I love tv backlighting. It does make the picture a lot better. I’ve always thought about using a micro controller hooked up to leds that changed based on measuring the sound waves.

Mihos

Gold Member
I love tv backlighting. It does make the picture a lot better. I’ve always thought about using a micro controller hooked up to leds that changed based on measuring the sound waves.

There are tons of sound to hue apps available already. You can even have different lights triggered by certain frequencies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom