• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phobias - you got any?

ROMhack

The Kojima thread in the gaming section made me wonder, do you guys/gals have any phobias?

I have an irrational phobia of crabs and won't go near the beach. With the sea, I'll happily dive in from a boat but nothing near the shore.

Edit: I mean fear. Like when shivers go up your spine.

Last edited:

Ellis

SnivelingSkinnyBluemorphobutterfly-size_restricted.gif

As cool as they are, they have no place on this Earth.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Arachnophobia.
While i am not really scared of spiders, seeing them sends a shiver down my spine.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
  1. Spiders, like many.​
  2. A pretty strong phobia for water levels in games. Started with Jolly Roger Bay in SM64 and has never went away.​
  3. Infinite spaces in games can really weird me out.​

All 3 of these were present in this boss fight and it was extremely uncomfortable for me to get through it

byrgenwerth_2.jpg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Found out I'm afraid of heights at age 33 when I tried indoor mountain climbing for the first time.

That was fun.

ROMhack

1. Spiders, like many.​
  2. A pretty strong phobia for water levels in games. Started with Jolly Roger Bay in SM64 and has never went away.
  3. Infinite spaces in games can really weird me out.
All 3 of these were present in this boss fight and it was extremely uncomfortable for me to get through it
byrgenwerth_2.jpg

That's an interesting one. I've heard a few people with the same problem actually - it's always water levels.

Do you know why for you personally?

ROMhack

Thalassophobia (Large, deep body of water)

Trypophobia (Irregular pattern of holes)

This seems like a recurring theme.

That second one is insane. Just wow.

Edit: After looking it up, it does make sense because there's something very unnatural about that type of pattern. I took a class once on human cognition and one of the things we discussed was the concept of 'disgust'. Due to evolutionary tendencies of self-survival the human body is naturally adverse to symptoms of disease and illness. I can't explain it perfectly but looking at images, there's something deeply unsettling about them. They feel dirty and dangerous.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
That's an interesting one. I've heard a few people with the same problem actually - it's always water levels.

Do you know why for you personally?

I have a hard time trying to explain why, it's a strong feeling but seems pretty irrational. I am almost certain it started with the Jolly Roger Bay level in Super Mario 64. The eel is creepy as fuck, and just hides down there waiting to pounce on you.

The only real answer I can think of is that you are seriously handicapped in the water in most games with your abilities and movement options gone, and thus you feel particularly helpless.

Though one of my "white whales" of gaming (check out my thread on it!) is Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future - I get seriously stressed every time I play that game and I've never made it all the way through. And although you do have decent movement options as a dolphin underwater obviously, underwater landscapes just look creepy, and there's always that sense of danger because you need air - I hate countdown clocks in games, and water areas are always presenting you with one because you need to breathe. Ecco gets crazy later on you go soooo deep and you have to rely on finding these little air bubble jets...ugh.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I'm afraid of heights. When I lived on the 10th floor and didn't have children, I still had a net in my balcony. Hate heights.

I used to be afraid of flying but I'm no longer afraid.

I also don't like to be in spaces that are too closed for a lot of time. Shit like magnetic resonance exams are frightening to me.

Also, I don't know if that's a phobia, but there's something about islands that make me uncomfortable. I enjoy living in this huge chunk of land called the Americas.

lock2k

Banned
  1. Spiders, like many.​
  2. A pretty strong phobia for water levels in games. Started with Jolly Roger Bay in SM64 and has never went away.​
  3. Infinite spaces in games can really weird me out.​

byrgenwerth_2.jpg

I fucking LOVE water levels. :D

Weilthain

Banned
I hate having my movement restricted especially in my arms. I don’t think it’s quite a phobia but let’s not test that shall we?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
My grandpappy always taught me to be afraid of black ice. He called it "naggers" for some reason though when he was really mad

Last edited:

Airola

1. Heights
My legs stop working if I go near an edge of some high place and it causes me tons of problems if I try to look down in a situation where I'm close to the edge.

2. Wasps
And bees often too. Bumblebees are ok.
It took me a couple of hours the last time to get rid of a wasp in the apartment. Pretty much like with heights, my legs just stop working if I have to approach a wasp. I become stiff and heart beats like hell and I become sweaty. And if a wasp surprises me, I run like a bitch and become paranoid for the next 10 minutes.

3. Vomiting
Haven't vomited in 24 years. I've successfully fought against vomiting countless of times. A couple of years ago I fainted when I was really really sick and fought against vomiting (I think I had noro because my gf had it before I got sick and my symptoms were exactly the same - didn't go to hospital to make sure of it though). It was the hardest battle and required tons of willpower and eventually things became black and I woke up my head between my legs (I was sitting on a toilet).
Every single time I feel like vomiting I get this horrible fear and the thought of having to do it becomes so unbearable that I will do anything and everything to avoid it.
I have no issue with others vomiting though.
I'm sure one reason for why I'm too picky eater might be because I avoid swallowing anything that gives me gag reflex. It's also hard for me to swallow pills. And I spit a lot especially if I have too much spit in my mouth. Can't stand the feeling of swallowing a lot of saliva. When I'm in bathroom I usually also spit a lot in the toilet (or to the sink) after doing my thing because I feel the need to get rid of any extra saliva in my mouth because I try to avoid getting this uneasy feeling in my throat. I think these are connected to my fear of vomiting somehow.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Ha. Weird. I was about to make this exact thread. I have a major fear of sink holes. It's like they can pop up anywhere. Who knows how deep they are? What's in them? How deep are they? Horrifying shit. I have nightmares about them.

That and moths. Terrifying creatures.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
1. Heights
My legs stop working if I go near an edge of some high place and it causes me tons of problems if I try to look down in a situation where I'm close to the edge.

2. Wasps
And bees often too. Bumblebees are ok.
It took me a couple of hours the last time to get rid of a wasp in the apartment. Pretty much like with heights, my legs just stop working if I have to approach a wasp. I become stiff and heart beats like hell and I become sweaty. And if a wasp surprises me, I run like a bitch and become paranoid for the next 10 minutes.

3. Vomiting
Haven't vomited in 24 years. I've successfully fought against vomiting countless of times. A couple of years ago I fainted when I was really really sick and fought against vomiting (I think I had noro because my gf had it before I got sick and my symptoms were exactly the same - didn't go to hospital to make sure of it though). It was the hardest battle and required tons of willpower and eventually things became black and I woke up my head between my legs (I was sitting on a toilet).
Every single time I feel like vomiting I get this horrible fear and the thought of having to do it becomes so unbearable that I will do anything and everything to avoid it.
I have no issue with others vomiting though.
I'm sure one reason for why I'm too picky eater might be because I avoid swallowing anything that gives me gag reflex. It's also hard for me to swallow pills. And I spit a lot especially if I have too much spit in my mouth. Can't stand the feeling of swallowing a lot of saliva. When I'm in bathroom I usually also spit a lot in the toilet (or to the sink) after doing my thing because I feel the need to get rid of any extra saliva in my mouth because I try to avoid getting this uneasy feeling in my throat. I think these are connected to my fear of vomiting somehow.

I'm with you on the vomiting issue.

I take pride for spending years and years of not vomiting. It's the most disgusting and fucked up feeling ever to me. It fucking ruins my day. Everything feels awful.

My mother had bulimia and I was terrified with the fact that she vomited almost every day and treated it as "not a big deal" and I was always like "you are insane for doing this shit". She wasn't a classic bulimic-for-being-skinny. It's like the vomited her own problems. It was weird as fuck.

Tesseract

Banned
The water stuff makes sense from an evolutionary point of view, if you believe that.

I’m the same, I freak out in open ocean because I don’t know if there is a man eater underneath me.

ja, you are basically powerless, absolutely no way to control that situation unless you have navy gear on

Cravis

If we are talking irrational that sends shivers down your spine mine is probably the fear that while I’m sitting on the toilet a snake is going to come up through the pipes and bite my dick off.

Dark Star

tight spaces, small spaces, arms and limbs being constricted, can't breathe, etc - basically claustrophobia

i would have a heart attack if i was forced to crawl through a an air vent or something in an emergency situation, like that scene in Poseidon where they have water flowing in the room and they have to escape by air ducts into another area of the ship... yeah, I'd faint.

Last edited:

ROMhack

If we are talking irrational that sends shivers down your spine mine is probably the fear that while I’m sitting on the toilet a snake is going to come up through the pipes and bite my dick off.

That will happen so it's probably best you get used to the idea now.

Tesseract

Banned
tight spaces, small spaces, arms and limbs being constricted, can't breathe, etc - basically claustrophobia

i would have a heart attack if i was forced to crawl through a an air vent or something in an emergency situation, like that scene in Poseidon where they have water flowing in the room and they have to escape by air ducts into another area of the ship... yeah, I'd faint.

i'm not a fan of being in tight spaces with no wiggle room and no choice but to continue on

basically narrowing caves

suck my dick i ain't doing that

i'm not a fan of being in tight spaces with no wiggle room and no choice but to continue on

basically narrowing caves

suck my dick i ain't doing that

i did some of those in north fl once where you basically have to wiggle thru as you are laying down. Did it once. Never again. Was horrible.

Heights and I hate that I have it too. It takes be a minute to adjust when I go to high levels in skycrapers sometimes. I love watching people climb them or mountains though.

Big Cliff edges also worry me.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
My eyes getting cut. Fuck that Un Chien Andalou movie forever.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Heights.
If i have to climb more than 3 or 4 steps on a slightly unstable ladder to change a light bulb, I'm gonna nope the fuck out of that shit.

I have pretty man fears, just not sure how irrational they are (sorted from most common to weird).

1. Fear of any insect that bites or stings.

2. Fear of any animal that has poison. (Even if people say they only attack when provoked.)

3. Fear of dogs. (Got bitten twice already and the moment dogs see me they always try to attack me.)

4. Fear of male heterosexual cisgender humans that I don't know. (Got beaten up or robbed on the street multiple times.)

5. Fear of leaving the house for longer than one hour because I'm scared I might need to go to the toilet and can't.

6. Fear of viruses and bacteria. (I wash my hands unnaturally often. Y'know, like Monk from the series with the same name.)

Ar¢tos

Heights
Balloons... (can't stand the feel or sound of balloon "skin", and I hate when they explode/burst)
Being touched by children (i avoid my nephews as much as i can)

H4ze

For me it would be to lose a finger or toe nail in some way..

I once got a door slammed against my right foot when I was 16, had to rip off my own nail two times since this fucker just can't grow like it should again. Terrible feeling.

Top Bottom