• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phobias - you got any?

Mista

Banned
Used to have heights phobia but not anymore. Now my only phobia is the dark, can’t stand it, makes me nervous

giphy.gif

Stimpak

Used to have heights phobia but not anymore. Now my only phobia is the dark, can’t stand it, makes me nervous

giphy.gif

I used to be afraid of the dark. But the dark can be your friend. If you can’t see them, most likely they can’t see you.

Unless you’re combating something that can see in the dark better than you (which outside of fiction and predatory cats, you’re safe).

Alternatively, have NVGs for home defense.

Fear not the dark my friend, and let the feast, begin.

Stimpak

1.) being slowly eaten alive piece by piece.
Ex.) monkeys, bears, zombies, cannibals, parasites, etc.

Pretty dense fear because it can be tied to pain and/or disease

2.) demons/ evil entities (corporeal or ethereal)
Ex.) internal/psychological and/or external/fictitious. Lycanthropy reports has been tied to ergot poisoning in the Middle Ages.

This ones half fear and half interest. Stories about how supernatural beings entered the public psyche is somewhat fascinating to me.

3.) claustrophobia
Specifically, if the spaces are so small I can’t move. No fucking way would I go cave crawling through holes that I could get Winnie the Pooh’d With.

Awesome thread idea, OP! 👏

Hatred thread next? That would be a shorter list for me.

Thurible

Don't worry, the second one probably doesn't exist. Just be a good person and leave a positive mark on the current timeline 👍
Why are you trying yo convince me dude?

Anyway, onto less religious phobias. When I was a child in elementary school, I thought of falling up sometimes when I was on the swings. It was a scary idea, to fall into the atmosphere and lose oxygen until you reach space, with nothing to hold on to.

lil puff

Another afraid of heights person. I have high ceilings and can barely screw in a lightbulb.

Fear of drowning or burning in a fire. Childhood incidents that left mental scars, like pranks where someone holds you down in a pool.

Roaches. When we were kids, my brother once trapped a few in a glass jar, one with the egg about to burst. When it did that glass really filled up. Days later, he dropped the jar and it broke over our bedroom floor.

One time we left the house for a day so my mom could "roach bomb" the home with some of those fogging devices. When we got home the entire floor and all surfaces was almost coated in dead roach.

Mihos

Gold Member
Closest would be hospitals, doctors offices, etc. My anxiety level goes through the roof to the point of being mis-diagnosed a few times.
Ironically enough, I married a nurse.

Not a fan of spiders either.... not sure what would happen if I saw a spider in a doctors office.

Michele

you.
I really hate very graphic blood, etc. So... I try to avoid somewhat games like Resident Evil for example..

Galaed27310

Neo Member
ok so I am not scared of snakes but my gf says I am because I won't go near one and respect its space. I am however scared of needles

Galaed27310

Neo Member
I have pretty man fears, just not sure how irrational they are (sorted from most common to weird).

1. Fear of any insect that bites or stings.

2. Fear of any animal that has poison. (Even if people say they only attack when provoked.)

3. Fear of dogs. (Got bitten twice already and the moment dogs see me they always try to attack me.)

4. Fear of male heterosexual cisgender humans that I don't know. (Got beaten up or robbed on the street multiple times.)

5. Fear of leaving the house for longer than one hour because I'm scared I might need to go to the toilet and can't.

6. Fear of viruses and bacteria. (I wash my hands unnaturally often. Y'know, like Monk from the series with the same name.)

This actually might be closer to having extreme anxiety than 6 individual fears or phobias

GAMETA

Banned
I really fear getting close to the edge of high places. Makes my hands and armpits pour sweat just from watching videos.

I once climbed the outer stairs of a building up to the roof to take some photos for work, boy that was some intense shit, I was trembling, my legs didn't want to move, I was sweating like a pig, I could hear and feel my heart pumping inside my ears.... do not recommend.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Claustrophobia. I hate enclosed places , I even have my windows open year round even in winter.

Overgrown unkempt foliage especially in smaller spaces. There is an alley between my mom's house and the one next door when that gets high mowing that sh*t is nightmare , i try to do it as fast as possible f*ck how it looks, I'm getting itchy just thinking about it

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Flying... And I have to do it fairly often. Sucks!

Best way to get rid fears is to face them though and I'm getting better each time... Still bad though.

Anki

Banned
I don't know if its irrational fear but I get stomach sick whenever I see something like this:

upwaq46wevm0qc7edztg.gif

IKSTUGA

I have the irrational fear of:

- Bugs, all of them
- Swallowing pills (capsules)
- Being upside down

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Framedrops.

I black out when a game drops below 60 fps.

Oh, and tight spaces. Fuck those dudes that scuba through those tiny little underwater passages. I'd shit myself so hard I'd turn into a torpedo.

Orpheum

I can't go to the dentist without almost shitting myself.

Luckily my best friends sister just started working as a dentist and she's the only one who gets to look at my biters again, i trust her enough.

Top Bottom