• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo surfaces of Sonic Mania Switch cases at EB Games AU(?)

Edit: The artwork is actually from this fan mock-up at VG Boxart (thanks Piston Hyundai!):

75159-sonic-mania.png

###

EB Games AU answered that they are indeed at least at this stage "expecting" a physical release, so the listing from earlier wasn't just a mistake it seems.

https://twitter.com/EBGamesAus/status/824794530448867328?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

That boxart does look perfectly fit for the shape of the case, as if it was made for it in mind. Only slight thing as I point out is that the logo is altered a bit. Though I don't think that's something that hasn't happened before. Bayonetta 2 did this where the box in I think NA and Japan had a red "2", but in-game it's gold.

Edit: The Sega logo looks a little off, first it looks like it's been blown up, and also, you can see in the upper-right corner it almost looked like it was pasted poorly.

It's obviously not "final", but it might be something we could expect, who knows.

Coreda

First time clicking the full size image. The low res logo and visible pixel stepping from scaling...

s3Lc8Kl.png
zVlquiu.png

they just cut the shit out of this

you can even see how they just sloppily pasted the SEGA logo by looking at the corners of it

pretty low bar if that's the best you've ever seen

Aaaaaah. So it is just fanart, thanks for finding that. :)

STILL, odds are still good in my opinion. Really odd for them to just use fanart though, I mean they already had an official piece they used on the website, why not use that? They legit kind of stole it...

Cerium

STILL, odds are still good in my opinion. Really odd for them to just use fanart though, I mean they already had an official piece they used on the website, why not use that? They legit kind of stole it...

Retailers use filler cases all the time.

Considering the twitter responded with them EXPECTING a physical, I'd say chances are high they were just making their own covers until real marketing comes.

Nesther

they just cut the shit out of this

you can even see how they just sloppily pasted the SEGA logo by looking at the corners of it

pretty low bar if that's the best you've ever seen

It's probably due to the minimalistic approach of Switch covers in general. Like the one you linked, having the PS4 bar on top just doesn't look as good as these photoshopped ones in the OP. On first glance I wouldn't even have noticed the shopped logos.

Zalman

Just so I don't get disappointed I'm going to assume this is all a mistake and that Sega has no plans to actually do this.

I hope I'm wrong.

Zalman

In retrospect it's pretty strange they announced a physical release for Puyo Puyo Tetris but refuse to do the same for Sonic Mania.

You heard it here first folks -

If there isn't an official release physically - you can bet your ass Limited Games will do one and it'll sell out quicker than anything else they've done

floater6

Neo Member
Wow what the shit, that's my store!

EDIT: The photo from OP's post of the sonic case. My boss spent a lot of time getting that display ready.

Baleoce

I like the concept of the boxart, but that top picture (back and front) doesn't look real to me. Weird fonts, odd character art.

EDIT - Nvm I can't read. But yeah I hope they end up using something along this theme.

floater6

Neo Member
That's awesome, it does seem to be a fanmade box though which is strange.

The company has not issued physical cases or official merchandise to actually display at stores yet. He went out of his spare time to make a big merchandise wall showing all the games and accessories at launch, he even had to source the PSP cases because we haven't had any in a long time (we found the gaf post about the size of the cases a few weeks back and used that to judge what we should display).
So yeah, every one of those cases are fan made.

Baleoce

The company has not issued physical cases or official merchandise to actually display at stores yet. He went out of his spare time to make a big merchandise wall showing all the games and accessories at launch, he even had to source the PSP cases because we haven't had any in a long time (we found the gaf post about the size of the cases a few weeks back and used that to judge what we should display).
So yeah, every one of those cases are fan made.

That's actually pretty cool. Having a physical presence in the store at an earlier stage helps.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

This might be me getting caught up in semantics, but saying "no news" is the typical non-answer "We have nothing to announce at this time" and not "We have no plans at this time." And it's certainly not "There will not be a physical edition." At least, that's how I read it.

My guess is that this possibility is something currently being investigated internally (which might be completely unrelated to EB Games's listings), and nothing will be said one way or the other until a final decision is made.

This might be me getting caught up in semantics, but saying "no news" is the typical non-answer "We have nothing to announce at this time" and not "We have no plans at this time." And it's certainly not "There will not be a physical edition." At least, that's how I read it.

My guess is that this possibility is something currently being investigated internally (which might be completely unrelated to EB Games's listings), and nothing will be said one way or the other until a final decision is made.

Exactly, it's a very carefully chosen response, it's in no way saying there isn't any in development, just that there's no news yet.

More smoke I say.

Phoenixus

Would it be too much to believe Sega might do a limited retail run after seeing the demand? Dunno how widespread and vocal the request is.

Top Bottom