• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical PS4 Versions of Spyro Re-ignited Trilogy Now Have All Three Games on Disc!

sublimit

Banned
Sorry if this was posted before.I searched but didn't find anything and i consider this big news for those of us who prefer physical and were disappointed by Activision's initial stance for this trilogy.
I just happened upon this video and was pleasantly surprised to learn that Activision has (silently) reprinted the Re-ignited Trilogy and the new version includes ALL three games in the disc without the need of any patch. These are brilliant news!

However the problem is that there are still copies of the original version out there and Activision did nothing to make it easy for us to distinguish which version is which. Even the cover of the new version is the exact same as the old one and says that it requires download of Spyro 2 & 3. The video says that you have to open the box and look on the disc itself on which if it's the newer version it will say "printed 2018-2019".Or "printed 2019". If it says printed 2018 then it's obviously the original version that we want to avoid. But the problem is you can't order it online or go to a shop and ask them to open the box just to see which version it is.

But i was wondering for those of you who got the new reprinted version that includes all three games doesn't it also say which year it was printed on the back of the box? I currently don't have any game shops near by so i can't check for myself.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is good news. I'll wait a while for the price to go down and buy a used copy where I can personally verify the disc.

Alternatively, you could ask the Gamestop rep if you could look at any opened "new" discs before buying the collection, since they gut a lot of their brand-new games to put the empty cases on the shelf. Their stupid policy finally has a purpose lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

xrnzaaas

This was expected after Crash Trilogy becoming a surprise hit. Spyro trilogy felt like it was pushed by Activision to be released as soon as possible, not only because of some content missing on disc, but also because of Spyro 3 having way more bugs than 1 & 2.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The video was talking about the PS4 version but i'd guess it also applies to the XB1 version.But i'm not sure.
There are versions that are certainly printed in 2019 though, because there were dual releases Crash Racing + Spyro Reignited Trilogy (still with the banner), I wonder whether they are safe?

JimboJones

When the servers go offline years from now situations like this will be a disaster. Suddenly you will lose something you purchased
Will people care though?

It will be repackaged for PS5,6,7 etcand people will lap it up everytime

And worse comes to worse it will probably be uploaded and playable on a PS4 emulator in 20 years anyway.

Fake

Thats great so. I avoid this game because of this particular problem. Now I'll start my journey to find this physical version.

Any chance of we spot the different between the old and the new one?

Reactions: TLZ

sublimit

Banned
Thats great so. I avoid this game because of this particular problem. Now I'll start my journey to find this physical version.

Any chance of we spot the different between the old and the new one?
I think it's impossible when ordering online. But i wonder if we can spot the differrence on the back of the box when we go to a game store.

It's a bit sad that people now celebrate games being distributed in their entirety on disc...

A lot of games from Japanese developers are complete on disc. Sure they will need a patch for better performance but most are playable from the disc. This trend mostly comes from big Western developers and publishers.

Last edited:

FranXico

A lot of games from Japanese developers are complete on disc. Sure they will need a patch for better performance but most are playable from the disc. This trend mostly comes from big Western developers and publishers.
Aye, fuck Activision.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So activision cheat the costumers? Because the say that the game cannot be All in disc because lack of space of blu Ray disc.

JimboJones

Is the loading any longer now with the filesize shrink? Wonder if they compressed everything or maybe it was just badly optimized at launch.

Is the loading any longer now with the filesize shrink? Wonder if they compressed everything or maybe it was just badly optimized at launch.
It was just bad optimization. The game was incredibly rushed, Spyro 2 and 3 in particular had a lot of major glitches until the big patch that shrunk file size, not to mention didn't even have things like subtitles until said patch too.

KiteGr

OMG!
My patience has paid off!
I had the first game, but I never played much of it back in the day, and I was looking for another excuse to jump in. That excuse never came as I only buy Physical and that retail version was a mockery of retail version.

You've made my day sir!

EDIT:
And here we go from one shit to another...
HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO TELL WHICH ONE IS THE GOOD EDITION!

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom