• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piano/Keyboard In Rock Band 3

I think this deserves it's own thread.

Green Day Demo Confirms Keyboard Download the Green Day Demo. Load the demo. Go to Exit on the main menu. Press A. See it. Believe it. Keyboard/Piano LOGO

49cfba7d.jpg

Thoughts?

KingGondo

Banned
It's kind of shocking to me in retrospect (considering how into RB I was at one time), but it's gonna take a lot to get me to buy anything more than the game disc this time around. I've got enough plastic instruments.

lawblob said:
No new instruments could revive my interest in this genre

This.

All this says to me is that the bundle will be even more over priced and there will be even more of them lining half the shelves in Wal-Mart/Best Buy.

Whoever buys this complete bundle and also owns bundles of other older music games, please take a photo of your room with like 12 guitars & bass', multiple drum sets, 6 mics and a keyboard setup :lol

Keyboard opens up new interesting possibilities.

If it's life-like enough, I'll bite.

I want to learn to play some piano xD

So: RB3 will potentially have a 7 player coop mode?

Hell yeah. I really only play RB with friends, so this is going to be good.

Beer and RB3. xD

lljride

Fuck it, I'll buy a keyboard peripheral. I won't get another full band bundle or anything, but I'll definitely get the keyboard + RB3 bundle if available.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pilonv1 said:
If this doesn't have any They Might Be Giants songs now it's an utter failure.

:O

It was the loveliest party that I’ve ever attended
If anything was broken I’m sure it could be mended
My head can’t tolerate this bobbing and pretending
Listen to some bullet-head and the madness that he’s saying

JMizzlin

Damn :( If only Beatles had been released while the Keyboard was available. WE COULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING 'LET IT BE'!

Also: What the hell is the difference between playing a fake keyboard and a real one? This only going to have 5 buttons on it? =/

Minsc

Gold Member
The Keyboard will be one of the most useful instruments, perhaps even more than the drums, in the sense that game skills will translate to real life skills.

I've somehow managed to avoid owning any music related hardware/software until now, perhaps RB3 will be the first.

Is it slated for this year?

Hopefully we get some nice Ben Folds Five too!

Kinyou

That's a joke right? Why play this virtual piano if you could play a real one.

Think about it. You just need to push the buttons in the order they want you to. There is no difference in getting the notes from the TV screen instead of a note sheet ...

Eye Drop said:
Damn :( If only Beatles had been released while the Keyboard was available. WE COULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING 'LET IT BE'!

Also: What the hell is the difference between playing a fake keyboard and a real one? This only going to have 5 buttons on it? =/
Can you imagine 38+ keys all colour coded :p

Kinyou said:

Think about it. You just need to push the buttons in the order they want you to. There is no difference in getting the notes from the TV screen instead of a note sheet ...
Same for the guitar and bass, right?

Lot's of people said the same sort of thing back when guitar hero was new, why not play a real guitar? ect.

I don't buy these game's but they are fun once in a while to play with friends and family.

Interfectum

Kinyou said:

So? This might actually encourage people to play a real piano. How is this a bad thing?

fisheyes

I'm probably going to end up buying this, but I'm curious how this is going to be different to an actual keyboard, if at all.

SmokyDave

lawblob said:
No new instruments could revive my interest in this genre
Yeah, sadly this. I saw my guitars behind the sofa the other day and thought "I haven't played Rock Band in ages!". Then I realised I've had my PS3 replaced so I'd need to install and import RB1, install RB2 and download 8 million tunes. So I said "fuck it" and I doubt I'll ever play it again.

It's funny how the 'hot new thing' can become so horribly dated, so quickly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Interfectum said:
So? This might actually encourage people to play a real piano. How is this a bad thing?

Yea, basically this will probably become a great tool in teaching how to play piano, given that it is always checking your keys/timings.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Kinyou said:

the difference would be for people who can't read music.

Kinyou said:
There is no difference in getting the notes from the TV screen instead of a note sheet ...

Yes, but there's no need to know anything about music.

Plus, it's a game, it has an easier learning curve, it should be much easier to translate what you learn into muscle memory.

Most important: you play just for fun. And end up learning something new.

It's a softer approach; moreover: not everyone is intersted in learning to play an instrument.

P.S: given that the keyboard has more than 5 buttons/keys.

I've lost all faith in Harmonix as a company.

The Walmart-exclusive AC/DC track pack (bombed), track packs in general, Lego (it's terrible for everyone) RB, RBN only accessible from RB2 and nothing else, and soon: Green Day:RB (I love Green Day btw; no band has 40 good songs, NO BAND)

Still, I was hoping RB3 was actually going to be good. No gimmicks, just a solid upgrade to RB2 (like 2 was to 1) that would keep my friends and I playing.

The introduction of a keyboard smacks of desperation (new gimmick). It also pretty much ensures a bad setlist. The focus on RB3 should have been to make the ultimate band music game, not send the company into financial ruin.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Archie said:
Hocus Pocus has to be the RB3 finale. Music GOTY confirmed.

duh nuh nuh nuh nuh
duh nuh nuh nuh nuh
nuh nuh... nuh... nuh nuh

yodel ellay odel ellay odel ellay bum bum bum

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Gaming Truth said:
no band has 40 good songs, NO BAND)

you spend your sunday mornings listening to Ryan Seacrest's countdown or something?

Vinterbird said:
They need to bring the fucking keytar

[mg]http://images.bt.dk/node-images/92/2/608x403-c/2092238-nephew.jpg[/img]

This or bust HMX

Noooo, coz they'll probably end up doing the shit RickRoll cover from Family Guy

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So sold.
Just imagining playing Telegraph Road by Dire Straits with friends and all 5 peripherals makes makes me giddy.

Top Bottom