• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Picking up a DS Lite today!

neoxavean

Banned
I've had a DS since launch, but have pretty much neglected it for over a year. The last game I bought for it was Metroid Prime: Hunters, so I've ignored a number of great titles that came out for it.

Even though I was going to wait until Dragon Quest IX came out to pick a Lite up, I actually have the cash now. So, two questions:

1. What color?
2. What game?

I like the look of black more than white (I still like white though), but I was thinking that white would match my Wii. So I'm a bit torn on that.

As for games, here's a list of games I want to choose from:

Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Bros.
Puzzle Quest, Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Final Fantasy III
Phoenix Wright
Electroplankton
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

Help me out, GAF.

1) Colour: Um... who cares, honestly? What colours do you like? White stains a bit easier, black makes fingerprints easy to spot.

2) Games from your list that I'd buy:

Elite Beat Agents
Puzzle Quest
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Final Fantasy III (Caveat: Must like old-school jRPGs.)
Phoenix Wright

If you want me to narrow it down further, make Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Elite Beat Agents top priority.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Have fun! :)

Tobor

I just traded in my launch DSL(white) for a new black one. Black makes the screen appear brighter and has better contrast.

As far as your list, everything except Mario and Luigi(GBA version was far better).

radiuhm

neoxavean said:

Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Bros.
Final Fantasy III
Phoenix Wright
Electroplankton

No Pokemon love?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
i'm gonna be buying a lite soon, too, and i'm going with a pink model + pokemon pearl. CAUSE I'M COOL LIKE THAT.

Pureauthor said:
make Advance Wars: Dual Strike top priority.

YES. you can easily get 100+ hours out of this game.

Tobor

Captain Glanton said:
You should pick the color that will correctly reflect your existence as an individual, as is the case with any commodity.

But I don't want the pink one!
kidding, kidding

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
neoxavean said:
I've had a DS since launch, but have pretty much neglected it for over a year. The last game I bought for it was Metroid Prime: Hunters, so I've ignored a number of great titles that came out for it.

Even though I was going to wait until Dragon Quest IX came out to pick a Lite up, I actually have the cash now. So, two questions:

1. What color?
2. What game?

I like the look of black more than white (I still like white though), but I was thinking that white would match my Wii. So I'm a bit torn on that.

Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Bros.
Final Fantasy III
Phoenix Wright
Electroplankton

Help me out, GAF.

+Ace Attorney: Justice for All + Pokemon Diamond/Pearl = Gaming Bliss

acidviper

Banned
omg.kittens said:
i'm gonna be buying a lite soon, too, and i'm going with a pink model + pokemon pearl. CAUSE I'M COOL LIKE THAT.

YES. you can easily get 100+ hours out of this game.
GBA AW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS

I'd go with White (fingerprints don't show up and it looks sleek)

In terms of games: Buy all of these...

Elite Beat Agents
Clubhouse Games
Brain Age
Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario
New York Times Crosswords (comes out in two weeks)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
perryfarrell said:
Overrated (it's also called Kirby Canvas Curse).

yes and no. it's too easy and too short, but it's charming as hell and has the most innovative use of the stylus in the entire DS library. it was my first DS game, and i had a blast for weeks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
You might have to settle for a Pink... it's the most common one in stores around me.

Doesn't the white's hinge crack easier than the black's? Was that just a myth?

acidviper said:
GBA AW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS

AWDS has every single thing that the GBA AWs have and more, save campaign missions, and the campaign of AWDS is no more lacking than the GBA AWs (save perhaps a bit of difficulty in the Final Mission). Of course, there're also a couple of boneheaded design decisions (stupid Drake nerf, anyone?), but otherwise AWDS is better than the GBA AWs.

Natedeezy

Go with the white, and get NSMB, Castlevania PoR, Elite Beat Agents, and Sonic Rush

That should keep ya busy for a while

I didn't see Yoshis Island DS on your list, definitly get that too

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Get EBA and the Castlevania games, that's all you need to get started. Oh and before I forget: buy EBA.

Mudhoney

Good luck finding Electroplankton, I don't think they ship it anymore unless they changed that recently. I'd recommend Castlevania and EBA out of your list. Kirby's Canvas Curse is amazing though, I have to mention it.

ghibli99

^^^ Yep. Once you "get" Meteos, man, it's a serious addiction.

I seem to be in the minority, but I love NSMB. At first, I didn't think it was that great, but then something about the game clicked with me, and it quickly became one of my most-played games on the system. Really fun and challenging with lots of little secrets here and there. You'll scratch your head trying to figure out all the shortcuts, and will probably die a lot trying to get all three tokens in each level. I love it.

And while I didn't think much of it when it came out (and it's not on your list), I play Club House Games almost daily, and have done so for months. Really fun multiplayer (either locally or online), so many unlockables, and while there are some duds, the sheer variety in this cart is amazing. The Sudoku section in Brain Age also still has me going. Wish Nintendo would release a beefed-up Sudoku game based on the system in Brain Age (did they?). AFAIK, it's the best implementation and execution on the system.

levious said:
Doesn't the white's hinge crack easier than the black's? Was that just a myth?
Don't know, but mine's cracked... don't think I would have ever noticed if it weren't for GAF. Thanks, fellas!

Deku

Banned
I highly recommend this game. It is my pick as one of the better strategy games published for a portable, held back only by bugs and some spotty AI.

AgeOfEmpires_DS_COMP-RatingPendingboxart_160h.jpg

New Super Mario Bros. Defense Force In! When played for the full value (all the coins and levels), this game is awesome. I think it holds up well to the old games and I'd recommend it over the Castlevania games in terms of actiony stuff.

I also picked up Meteos recently myself and I'm really enjoying it. It's a great handheld game and it looks like there's a lot of value to it. Plus you should be able to find it for $20 new now.

And you must eventually try out the first Phoenix Wright. It was my best gaming experience last year believe it or not.

neoxavean said:

1. What color?
2. What game?

Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Bros.
Final Fantasy III
Phoenix Wright
Electroplankton

Help me out, GAF.

The ones you have to buy no matter what are

Elite Beat Agents
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Phoenix Wright 1
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Pokemon Diamond

I'm not saying the others are bad, just that these are the best.

CANLI

I recommend you Phoenix Wright series, Elite Beat Agents and Pokemon Diamond for the beginning. The others in the list that you've written are good too but just buy those first.

Top Bottom