• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

stilgar

1FnZZ.jpg

Impressive and frightening.

raindoc

awesome. if you're into architecture, check this .pdf:
http://www.architekturfuehrer.com/i...pecialcontent&task=download&id=1432&Itemid=26

it's my dream house, designed by my uncle, unfortunately owned by a dentist.
there is no place in the house from which you cannot see outside, no privacy issues though, since it is situated on a mountain, with the full-glass-front allowing an incredible view over the lake of constance.

Seguin

Banned

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
It does to me. I've seen pictures similar to this and it was Mexico City then. I could be wrong, though. Anybody know? (And I'm aware we could just reverse image search it, but what fun is that?)

It's odd because even if I don't know where it is, I still have some sort of feeling that it's Latin America (Mexico/Brazil/Venezuela). It's the combination of concentration+Hill/type of houses i guess

Movement

I wanted to share some pics of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta 2012 with you all. They don't quite capture how cool it is, but some may come close. All taken by me. There were ~100,000 people in attendance, which is a pretty large amount of people, for New Mexico.

tstELh.jpg

dRssQh.jpg

Jjbz7h.jpg

uYroKh.jpg

7f3yVh.jpg

flvnfh.jpg

DXAuuh.jpg

FIJwHh.jpg

xF7R4h.jpg

SbmTrh.jpg

I3Ebqh.jpg

Nickiepoo

Just because the object is 'solid' doesn't mean that all parts of the object move instantaneously when one end is pushed. It just looks like that to our simple monkey brains on a small scale.

Zeppu

Would it be true not because it's not traveling faster than light but because the stick is already in place taking space and the poke "inches" area is the only distance to be covered?

The movement would act like a queue of atoms. Each atom pushes the one in front of it forward from the place where the force is applied to the other extreme making up the total movement. The material itself is contracting and then expanding into the new position. It travels like a wave throughout the stick at a speed slower than light.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The movement would act like a queue of atoms. Each atom pushes the one in front of it forward from the place where the force is applied to the other extreme making up the total movement. The material itself is contracting and then expanding into the new position. It travels like a wave throughout the stick at a speed slower than light.
If I hold up something solid the length of the extended slinky the bottom would move imminently since it's constricted tho?

raindoc

Not a great quality image, but a pretty cool thing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/4331098-3x4-700x933.jpg

reminds me of this picture i saw a couple of years ago. it's probably been posted on GAF before, i think it's beautiful enough to warrant posting it again - just one guy not having seen this is one guy too many.

volcano-lightning-03.jpg

electrical discharge during a volcanic eruption. if the gates of hell ever open, i'm sure it'll look like this.

Top Bottom