• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

isnt the atmosphere basically a superthin layer above the earth? I dont think the atmosphere itself would be that much higher than a milimeter compared to the average globe

IceCold

isnt the atmosphere basically a superthin layer above the earth? I dont think the atmosphere itself would be that much higher than a milimeter compared to the average globe

No it would be. Even our satellites are in the Earth's atmosphere.

1000px-Atmosphere_layers-en.PNG

He was like midway into the stratosphere..

Melchiah

Not a pic, but a vid. Perhaps the best and most elaborate domino clip I've ever seen.

http://2dhouse.com/blog/2011/07/rube-goldberg/
So we’ve been working on a project for the last while. To me personally, this is a BIG project. Probably the largest thus far of my photography career, and it’s not even a photo-shoot. Along with the usual workload at 2D Photography Inc., we’ve been secretly (somewhat) working on this Rube Goldberg Machine for nearly six months give or take. Some of you may have guessed what we were up to from our teasers but hopefully it was still a surprise.

It’s been a while since the idea came to me in late November, 2010. We started construction on it in January and while there have been a lot of delays, we’ve essentially just worked our butts off to get this thing shot. So without any further adieu.. here it is!!

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpxd8hzOcQ

There's a couple of making of videos on the website.

Prez

It's still and impressive feat, and dunno why anyone try to detract value from it. No one's comparing it to anything else like a manned Mars mission.

You're right but it's still pretty sad that everyone knows about the Red Bull Stratos jump and almost no one cares about Curiosity. People these days only care about things that are considered awesome while real scientific advancement is boring until it's used in the next big consumer product. I think that's what Tyson is annoyed, but maybe I'm wrong.

Naturally occurring pyrite cubic crystals. You'd never think nature could create something so... unnatural.
Here is a picture of a salt grain:
images

A common name for Pyrite is "fool's gold." Its prety common but those crystals that were posted are great, I've never seen such large "cubes" of that stuff. Used to find it all the time as a kid.

Pretty powerful stuff.

From The Atlantic

Scenes From World War II Photoshopped Onto Today's Streets

She got the idea for her project, "Ghost of History," a few years ago when she found some old negatives at a flea market in Amsterdam, where she lives. "I was very curious about these mysterious photos and wanted to find out who took them and where. So I started to walk around Amsterdam and made photos in the same spot where the old photos were made and combined them on the computer."

i3C4VZENXrHDd.png

i4zlBBWS9dkNU.png

One the images she believes is the most interesting is this one taken on Rue Armand Levéel in Cherbourg, France. "People walk there every day and don't realize that someone died there."
iBy8Obvpse304.png

More at her Flicker account

Top Bottom