• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that make you laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Giant Robot said:
wbuzco.jpg

Not a frequenter of this thread, but just thought I'd stop by and add this:

It's not uncommon for crabs to lose limbs/claws, and they are able to grow them back when they molt. The most interesting of these phenomena occurs with the fiddler crab -- that's the one with one giant claw and one tiny one.

If the giant arm of the fiddler crab falls off, then two things happen: 1) the large arm is regrown as a smaller arm, and 2) the once-smaller arm begins to grow, until it becomes the large arm.

The more you know, etc.

Gui_PT

Opiate said:
Not a frequenter of this thread, but just through I'd stop by and add this:

It's not uncommon for crabs to lose limbs/claws, and they are able to grow them back when they molt. The most interesting of these phenomena occurs with the fiddler crab -- that's the one with one giant claw and one tiny one.

If the giant arm of the fiddler crab falls off, then two things happen: 1) the large arm is regrown as a smaller arm, and 2) the once-smaller arm begins to grow, until it becomes the large arm.

The more you know, etc.

You ruined it. Ruined it! =(

MisterHero

I like a lot of funny images but one in particular makes me lose it in public. I can't help but smile and do that Rex Banner sputtering thing when trying not to laugh.

It's that baseball picture featured in my avatar

the expression and the position of the hands is priceless

Goldrusher

Opiate said:

The more you know, etc.
Amazing.

6ej2x.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Opiate said:

The more you know, etc.

You are now reading this in Sheldon Cooper's voice.

Interesting nonetheless.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Lobsters can do the same thing.
And Sea Stars can regrow their legs as long as part of the central disc is attached. So you can chop it up into pieces and as long as part of the central disc is attached to one of the arms, it will grow into a full sea star, turning one star into multiple. A fact fishermen learned the hard way after they would chop them up thinking it was killing them and toss them back into the ocean only to have them multiply and become an even bigger pest.

Sorry, back to funny pictures.

Manp

sound like troll science... get crab, cut limb, let it regrow, repeat -> infinite food

problem Jacques Diouf?

luoapp

Manp said:
sound like troll science... get crab, cut limb, let it regrow, repeat -> infinite food

The more and more you know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_stone_crab
Florida stone crab said:
...Harvesting is accomplished by removing one or both claws from the live animal and returning it to the ocean where it can regrow the lost limb(s)...

Manp said:
problem Jacques Diouf?

We have enough foods on Earth, just don't have ways to distribute to those who need them. /beingnotfunny

Forkball

Supposedly, that crab gif comes from a documentary. The crab was attacked by a bird, and he ripped off his injured arm. I think they grow back kind of slowly though, so it's still inconvenient.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Opiate said:

The more you know, etc.
wbuzco.jpg

Manp said:

problem Jacques Diouf?

So... for a restaurant:

Con:
- can only eat the claws
- need enough aquariums, food and lobsters to always have fully (re)grown claws available

Pro:
- don't have to buy new lobsters
- don't have to throw living lobsters into boiling waters
- animal friends/vegetarians can eat lobster meat

Mad Max

SolidusDave said:
So... for a restaurant:

Con:
- can only eat the claws
- need enough aquariums, food and lobsters to always have fully (re)grown claws available

Pro:
- don't have to buy new lobsters
- don't have to throw living lobsters into boiling waters
- animal friends/vegetarians can eat lobster meat

Killing them would probably be more humane.

FoxSpirit

tafer said:
Science is not very sure if those guys do feel pain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_in_crustaceans

I just want to note that this article just shows how full of bullshit conscicous science still is.

They all seem to be hung up on opioid receptors, hey, maybe crustaceans use other meditators for pain?

Reminds me of the time when birds were believed to have intelligence because they lacked parts of the barins scientists deemed "essential". Well, turns out bird brains work differently.

At least nice to see that 2009 brought some good news for crabs thanks to Prof. Elwood and Mirjam Appel.

FoxSpirit said:
I just want to note that this article just shows how full of bullshit conscicous science still is.

They all seem to be hung up on opioid receptors, hey, maybe crustaceans use other meditators for pain?

Reminds me of the time when birds were believed to have intelligence because they lacked parts of the barins scientists deemed "essential". Well, turns out bird brains work differently.

At least nice to see that 2009 brought some good news for crabs thanks to Prof. Elwood and Mirjam Appel.
damn, i read the article about how hermit crabs feel the pain from the electric shocks :(
so i guess i won't be eating invertebrates any more, either...ugh

daffy

Banned
Lijik said:
Yeah I was debating if I should have just linked it, but theres more spoileriffic stuff in the trailer so I thought it'd be fine.
Yeah the gif wasn't a big deal, I just thought someone would start connecting dots and spoil something else relating to it.

scar tissue said:
damn, i read the article about how hermit crabs feel the pain from the electric shocks :(
so i guess i won't be eating invertebrates any more, either...ugh

Don't fool yourself Timmy, if they could, those crabs would eat you and everyone you care about!

Lijik

Shit those have me super intrigued.
Did anybody bother to show up? Did Chris even bother to check?
Did he get his star quarterback?

Sirius

^ Looks like someone who's just trying to spread some humour - the lack of traceability in the flyers seems to suggest they don't want to be found.

Forkball

Cohsae said:
Things don't have to be real to be funny.
But these are just boring if they're fake (which they are). Yeah, autocorrect does screw you over sometime, but I've never seen it autocorrect a word into a curse or body part etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom