• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pier Solar OT – the BEST 16-bit RPG you've never played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric C

This is my first |OT|.

Pier Solar |OT| – the BEST 16-bit RPG you've never played. I know what you're thinking how can that be I've never even heard of “Pier Solar”. But yes it's true, if only because you've never played before because it's BRAND NEW, for the SEGA GENESIS / MEGA DRIVE!

Yes the title of this thread is a bit hyperbolic. I did that on purpose because I wanted fans of 16-bit RPGs to at least check it out if they've never heard of it.

Full disclosure. But, I was fortunate enough to VOLUNTEER and help beta test so I've played through the entire game. I still payed for my copy of the game myself. Right now I'll just give you my very brief impressions of the game. I won't spoil anything. I posted a longer review on post # 2 of this thread.

This game is fantastic, while it did not surpass my favorite 16-bit RPGs it's a very good game. I have no doubt that if this game was released during the 90s it would've been a hit. If you think of a great 16-bit RPG I bet Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, The Lunars, Phanatasy Star IV, Earthbound and some others immediately come to mind. As I said it did not surpass my personal favorites from the 16-bit generation. But IMO Pier Solar can sit proudly next to the any of the great 16-bit RPGs. If your a fan of 16-bit RPGs I urge you to try and get a copy of this game, I think you'd really enjoy it. I was somewhat surprised to find how much I really enjoyed this game. I'm sort of sad that it's audience will be limited by it's retro release.

REVIEWS AND SCORES ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST

fvJXv.jpg

So what is Pier Solar? When was it released
It's a brand new RPG for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive
It was firt shipped from China to customers on about December 13th or 14th 2010.
More info at http://www.piersolar.com/

So it's a new Genesis game. Is it really on a cartridge?
Yes it's actually on a cartridge. It can also make use of an OPTIONAL audio CD too.

CD??? So is it a Sega CD / Mega CD game too?
No it's not
No it is strictly a Cartridge game, the CD just has enhanced audio on it.
You'll have to burn the optional CD yourself.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Mirrors are allowed I'll try and have some posted here before the REPRINT ships in-case their servers get bombarded when it's released with everybody trying to download it at the same time.

Be sure to only use a CD-R not a CD-RW as the Sega CD can't read CD-RWs. It also can't read any-sort of DVD disc so don't use those either.

So what's unique about it?

It's a 64Mb cartridge. Larger than any other Genesis cartridge. Phantasy Star IV was 24Mb One of the versions of Street Fighter II was 40Mb

It's the only Genesis game to make use of an enhanced audio CD. If you don't have a Sega CD fine, the cartridge will play just fine with regular music like any normal cartridge. If you do have a Sega CD the cartridge can access the CD and stream some of the highest quality(at least in bit rate) PCM music ever heard on the Sega CD.

This is a feature that has never been done before on any game, not even by SEGA themselves.

A cartridge can access and use data off of the CD!

Can I play the audio CD on a standard CD player?
No.
Lunar the Silver Star uses redbook audio that you can play on a CD player.
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue uses PCM audio, you can't play it on a CD player.
Pier Solar also uses PCM audio. But supposedly at a bit rate so high that only a few FMV games streamed at comparable bit rates and that was video.

SO WHAT DOES THE MUSIC SOUND LIKE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dudBuSkj_QY
Here is a small comparison of the title screen. First Cartridge Music, next what it sounds like with the CD

Below are just a few of the over 50 tracks in the game. That's what it should sound like if you use the optional CD.

Alina's Theme - Pier Solar Sega CD PCM Sound Track
The Flowing Waters - Pier Solar Sega CD PCM Sound Track
Boss Remix - Pier Solar Sega CD PCM Sound Track
Forest Theme - Pier Solar Sega CD PCM Sound Track
Sea Of Tears - Pier Solar Sega CD PCM Sound Track
Kruller Town - Pier Solar Sega CD PCM Sound Track

What about the 32X
It's supposed to have a small “Easter Egg” only accessible when played through the 32X system.

No color or graphic enhancements though.

So where did this game come from? How did it happen?

Slightly modified from Sega Wikia

Pier Solar and the Great Architects is the first game made by Water Melon Development, a development team that originated in the homebrew gaming scene of Eidolon's Inn and focused on releasing new games to the Sega Mega Drive.
Pier Solar will be the very first all new game to appear on the Sega Mega Drive and Sega CD in this millennium. It is not a port, not a translation, and has no ripped content whatsoever.

Development of the game started in 2004 as a mini-game starring the members of the homebrew website Eidolon's Inn, such as Kega Fusion-developer Steven Snake. It soon became an effort to create a full role-playing game in the style of Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Phantasy Star IV. A fully playable demo of the game was released on September 1, 2008.
The first big announcement of the game was made in 2007 in an interview with the popular Mega Drive fansite Sega-16. On October 29, 2007 a teaser was released. On January 13, 2008 the game was officially named Pier Solar and the Great Architects, and an official website and forums were launched. Since then the game has been reported about on many gaming-related websites.
More info at
Interview: Pier Solar Team
Preview: Pier Solar & the Great Architects

After the demo was released, Later in the fall of 2008 they started taking Pre-Orders. Then an artist left the project, and didn't want any of his artwork used. And the project was delayed

And now finally on December 13th/14th 2010 it shipped out.

SO WHATS THE STORY ABOUT

Taken from Sega Wikia
''In a prospered and peaceful town called Reja, there live three best friends: Hoston, Alina and Edessot.
Young and curious, they want to go on a herb-seeking quest to help cure Hoston's father's illness.
Little do they know ... it will be the beginning their lifetime journey where they will learn
the true meaning of friendship and the thrill of adventure.
This journey will demand their courage and wisdom to solve the long lost mystery while
they face the forces of destruction by the evil man who is trying to change the world for his own good.
Trough his escapade, they will be reborn as great heroes to protect the universe from a mistaken purpose.

CAN I STILL BUY IT? WHAT IS THIS ABOUT IT IT SELLING OUT?
A special Pre-Order edition of the game sold out months ago before the game was even finished.

REPRINT HAS NOW ALSO SOLD OUT IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!
IT LOOKS LIKE THEY'LL BE MAKING MORE SO CHECK BACK SOON.

A "RePrint" edition has now been made and is available for purchase from
http://www.piersolar.com
IT LOOKS LIKE THE REPRINT WILL START SHIPPING IN FEBRUARY.
It's $45 US and that includes FREE world wide shipping charges.

It looks like they are only making 1 version or style of the "RePrint". And it seems like the packaging and design is based on the classic black and white grid style of the older Sega boxes.

It will feature:
Cartridge with English, French, and German languages
HARD PLASTIC GAME CASE
Manual
PIER SOLAR STICKERS(use them to enter the contest for the WHITE NOMAD)

REGION FREE WILL WORK WORLD WIDE ON NTSC AND PAL SYSTEMS ORIGINALLY MANUFACTURED BY SEGA
Will probably have compatibility problems with the newer clone systems that are currently being sold. And it also might have some problems on *some* of the Majesco manufactured systems.

You'll have to burn the optional CD yourself.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Mirrors are allowed I'll try and have some posted here before the REPRINT ships in-case their servers get bombarded when it's released with everybody trying to download it at the same time.

Be sure to only use a CD-R not a CD-RW as the Sega CD can't read CD-RWs. It also can't read any-sort of DVD disc so don't use those either.

SO WHAT DID THE SOLD OUT PRE-ORDER EDITION INCLUDE?

It had a few things the REPRINT doesn't

Choice of (3)versions of packaging and some extra language choices
Sturdy cardboard case(no plastic)
a folded up Poster
and probably most notable it included the enhanced audio CD

The 3 pre-order versions of the game were available for pre-orders starting in 2008. These versions are sold out now.
They were all region free and should work on any official hardware originally manufactured by SEGA.
a US version featuring the red Genesis logo, and English, Spanish, and Portuguese languages.
A EUR version featuring the blue Mega Drive logo and English, French, and German languages
a JPN version featuring the blue Mega Drive logo and English, Spanish, French languages and Japanese menus.

WHAT ABOUT A ROM OR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD RELEASE?
No info about anything like that yet.
Even if the cartridge gets dumped, the rom included on the cartridge is *supposedly* coded not to work on any of the current Sega emulators.

I personally wouldn't expect them announce anything like a rom or digital download release while cartridges are still being sold. If ever, I honestly don't know what future plans they have for the game.

But IF something like that happens I'll be sure to update this post about it.

SCREENSHOTS
4453e.jpg

zoC98.jpg

9kkUO.jpg

8Rnse.jpg

SADEm.jpg

I tried to resize the 3 below to match the ones above but they came out kind of blurry.
mNlMZ.jpg

eozTO.jpg

21h0x.jpg

Packaging and BOX ART

These pics below are for the pre-order versions. The reprint version looks to be based on the classic B&W design, no actual pics of that yet. We had to wait until it was actually released to get these pics below

Click to enlarge

Here's what the "Reprint" cartridge will probably look like. No large pics of the case yet.

LG4DW.jpg

Unboxing video

Someone posted this unboxing of the Japanese PRE-ORDER version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyocQnonHDo

Gameplay Videos
Here's the only one I could find that is from the final version of the game, and wasn't some blurry thing with a camera pointed at a TV screen. Currently most of the other gameplay videos on youtube are of the Demo or Beta, and the game has changed since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFwL8id1Ysg

I'll try to post a better gameplay video when I can find one.

REVIEWS AND SCORES

SPANISH
GamesTribune (Spain)
http://issuu.com/gamestribune/docs/...issuu.com/v/light/layout.xml&showFlipBtn=true
(pages 92-95)
SCORE 90 out 100

Someone posted a user review. But, I don't think he finished the entire game yet
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9068543
RATING B

The development team said they just started or will be sending review copies out to some websites. So more professional reviews should be showing up soon.
I'll add more here as I find them, even negative ones.

Also HERE are impressions from people that beat the game WARNING SPOILERS

Eric C

MY PERSONAL REVIEW

Some on other forums have asked me some questions about my review I'll be making additions to my original review in red.

16-bit RPGs are probably my favorite period of RPGs. I feel they weren't bogged down by FMV video, battles didn't take forever with overly long flashy attack sequences. Now that my bias for 16-bit RPGs is out of the way my review.

Pier Solar is not a game filled with level grinding. You have to master Pier Solar's battle system for this to be true. I hate RPGs that are just grind grind grind. Sure if want to grind you can grind all you want. I generally found just fighting most of the battles as you normally encounter them going through the “dungeons” is enough, maybe not enough to always have the best armor at all times but enough to get through the game. It seems really balanced throughout most of the game. When I'm talking about balance here I'm specifically talking about level grindingAlthough I personally found the area between the first and second “boss” fights to be an exception to this, as I did have to grind a little. And in one or two places I wish I would have spent a little more time grinding for money.

I never really felt like I was doing something just for almost no other reason but to drag out the play time.

With that said I wouldn't call Pier Solar a very easy game either. I'd say most will probably see the game over screen at the very least once or twice.

Battles are in the classic 16-bit random encounter style. No battles on the over-world map, or in towns, battles only occur in dungeons. The random encounter rate is not too frequent at all IMO. Pier Solar is not a game where I felt like every other step I was in a battle(I'm looking at you Vay).

The battles themselves are turn based. Your characters if they aren't using magic have to actually walk up to the enemies to hit them. The battles are very reminiscent of Lunar games or maybe even a little of the 2D Final Fantasy games. Most aspects of the battles are pretty standard for 16-bit RPGs. A few exceptions though. Flying or floating enemies can only be hit with magic or projectile type weapons such as bows, swords can't reach them.

The most unique part of battles would have to be the “Gather” feature. I'm not really sure how to best describe it. Maybe like a user controlled “limit break”. You can choose to have a character “gather” energy instead of attacking an enemy or defending . Your character then earns a gather point and all of his/her attacks and magic will be stronger, it will even make healing magic stronger. You can even “gather” several times in a row to earn a maximum of 5 gather points and all your attacks and magic will be much much stronger. But each “gather” point you earn doesn't last forever, they only last a few rounds before you have to “gather” again. You also can't carry over “gather” points from one battle to the next, but some equipment might give you free “gather” points. The gather points can also be traded between characters during battle.

While Pier Solar has plenty of different monsters to fight throughout the entire game. The monster variety in each individual dungeon could have been a little better.

“Dungeon” design I felt was a real highlight of the game. At least for me it was. I expect Dungeon design to either be a love it or hate it kind of thing for most peopleIt was somewhat challenging, as in if you weren't paying attention you might get lost and end up going in circles. In one or two spots the correct “path” might be hidden very very well. Some might actually hate how hidden one or two things are. None of the “dungeons” felt like they were of a brutal unending length. Some make you do things in a specific order that can be confusing at firstAlso I did get lost in some of the dungeons. But I was always able to find my way out.

You'll want to be sure to stock up on items to heal because you'll probably actually need to use them. There's at least one point in the game where you'll go quite awhile without access to an INN. Keep your inventory stocked with lots of healing items all the time. LOTS AT ALL TIMES. A long stretch without fully restoring your HP/MP combined with the point above about things sometimes being confusing at first, can make certain parts of the game VERY frustrating.

Saving is free and you can save pretty much anywhere you want. But saving does have a unique issue. Inside “dungeons” you can only save your previous progress of the “dungeon” when a new screen loads, so if you save right after opening a chest it's not going to save that you opened that chest until you enter a new room.

The story. They've kept the story mostly a secret and I'm not going to spoil it. It has enough unique about it and a few twists to keep you interested. But overall the story is nothing that veteran RPG players haven't at least generally seen before. I guess that could be both a good thing or a bad thing depending upon how you look at it.

The weak point for me was characterization, it's not that I didn't care about the characters at all. It's just that I felt that I could have cared about them more. I'd still rate it's characterization well ahead of a lot of the 16-bit RPGs though.

Pier Solar has tons of secrets to find too. I'm not sure if I found everything. I know I missed a secret boss on my first playthrough. Also besides the dungeons and bosses Pier Solar has a few really clever puzzles put into the dungeons.

One last thing the extra bonuses and mini games! The back of the box advertises 2 player bonuses. *I think* I know what those are, I can't and wont spoil those. But I was really surprised to see some of that stuff. I didn't even know they'd be 2 player but that has me really excited.

Overall I'd recommend Pier Solar to anyone that likes 16-bit RPGs. If you don't like 16-bit RPGs Pier Solar is probably not going to change your mind. Pier Solar plays and feels almost feels like a tribute to the great 16-bit RPGs. It didn't surpass my very favorite RPGs of the 16-bit generation. But, I'm very happy I'll have Pier Solar in my collection, and I'm even happier I was able to play it. As I said if you like 16-bit RPGs I urge you to try and get a copy of this. They don't make em like this anymore.

I didn't talk about graphics because you can see them for yourself.

Nice, awesome OP man - can't wait for my copy to arrive, it's a shame they couldn't have gotten the game out a week or so earlier, I can't imagine that many peoples copies arrived before Christmas.

I've had the prestige edition pre-ordered for over 2 years now, so I hope the game lives up to the hype, or at least is better than other recent Megadrive RPGs (Beggar King & Legend of WuKong).

I'm interested, but I don't have a megadrive and don't feel like buying one because of the region 50hz bullshit.
If it runs in an emulator I'd pay the normal price of physical copy for the rom.

Ranger X

Woaah wait, this is the kind of retro projects that truly hits my nostalgia switch!

Is this game only compatible with the Megadrive or I can play it on my american Genesis?

Eric C

Bootaaay said:
Nice, awesome OP man - can't wait for my copy to arrive, it's a shame they couldn't have gotten the game out a week or so earlier, I can't imagine that many peoples copies arrived before Christmas.

I've had the prestige edition pre-ordered for over 2 years now, so I hope the game lives up to the hype, or at least is better than other recent Megadrive RPGs (Beggar King & Legend of WuKong).

I didn't get my copy yet either. Some people in the US started getting them this week. So I'm hopeful I'll get mine Thursday or Friday.

I think you'll like Pier Solar.

Herbspicesoy said:
I'm interested, but I don't have a megadrive and don't feel like buying one because of the region 50hz bullshit.
If it runs in an emulator I'd pay the normal price of physical copy for the rom.

*I think* the rom that's on the cartridge has been coded not to work on any of the current emulators. But who knows what they'll do in the future after they sell out of all the carts

Ranger X said:
Woaah wait, this is the kind of retro projects that truly hits my nostalgia switch!

Is this game only compatible with the Megadrive or I can play it on my american Genesis?

It's region free. It works on all official Sega Genesis or Mega Drives. Either 50hz or 60hz although I think they said the ending might play slightly better in 60hz though.

It most likely WONT work with the newer clone systems though. And some Majesco manufactured systems might have some problems too.

animlboogy said:
If I get some cash together by the next round of carts, I'd get another Genesis for this. Is the music still good without the CD?

Listen for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dudBuSkj_QY

Ranger X

I have another question. Do I get this incredible music with the cartridge only?
How did they pull off PCM great sound like that? It's 64mb cartridge with 54mb of sound on it? lol

Eric C

Ranger X said:
I have another question. Do I get this incredible music with the cartridge only?
How did they pull off PCM great sound like that? It's 64mb cartridge with 54mb of sound on it? lol

You only get the PCM music with the CD. The cartridge can actually look for the CD and stream the music if a CD is present.

But the cartridge music sounds pretty great too, if you look up some of the demo or beta videos from 2008 on youtube you can hear the cartridge music. They might have even improved it since then I'm not sure, I don't have my copy yet to compare.

The youtube video I linked to above when it says "without CD" that's what the cartridge music sounds like, that's just the music on the cartridge.

Eric C

OnPoint said:
I'm at work so I can't check the order form. What's this cost? I'm incredibly interested

I'm not sure.

I know pre-orders had two versions a $50 special edition and a CLASSIC version for $35 those prices included worldwide shipping charges.
The unboxing video above is the CLASSIC version.
Also keep in mind when you pre-ordered you had to pay in full at the time of the pre-order, and pre-orders started in autumn of 2008 before the game got delayed and delayed.

*I think* they said somewhere that new versions might cost a bit more than $35 though. But I can't find where I read that online anywhere. I'm sure they'll announce it themselves in January.

Jigsaw

Banned
this packaging looks amazing,how the hell do they produce these?

i'm tempted to buy this and i never even owned a megadrive

probably more people would click on this thread if the topic would read that it's a new megadrive game from 2010

Red

Eh, cool and all, but as a Sega CD game it's got very limited appeal. I'd buy an XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/PC release though.

Wait, misread OP. This is a Genesis cartridge? Will buy.

seat

Seems like an awfully limited market to appeal to. I don't even have my Genesis anymore. Beside just a Genesis release, why don't they just port it to other platforms as well while retaining the Genesis look and music?

How is the system compatibility?

I know some of these homebrewish games only run on certain hardware.

I ask because my main Genesis is a Laseractive. If it works with that, I'll put in an order tomorrow.

Red

seat said:
Seems like an awfully limited market to appeal to. I don't even have my Genesis anymore. Beside just a Genesis release, why don't they just port it to other platforms as well while retaining the Genesis look and music?
Was Mega Man 9 released as a cartridge along with the digital release? I remember something about that. Would be cool to see Pier receive similar treatment.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Not sure about this one, saw a video and there are definitely many things I don't like:

- Not diagonal moving?? Come on!
- I HATE circular menus, never know where it is moving, never know what the symbols mean, I prefer a square menu with titles.
- Same problem as all fan made games: characters and backgrounds use similar pallets of colors (or some shit like that), so it's not obvious what is there and what isn't.
- Also, I don't like the colors of the game, so bright...
- It's a chore to get the characters to attack.

Love all the customization you can do in the game.

Eric C

Jigsaw said:
this packaging looks amazing,how the hell do they produce these?

i'm tempted to buy this and i never even owned a megadrive

probably more people would click on this thread if the topic would read that it's a new megadrive game from 2010

They found a factory in China that would still make Genesis cartridges.

I guess something like that could be added to the title, but an old topic from 2008 mentioned that and it didn't get very many replies.

Crunched said:
Wait, misread OP. This is a Genesis cartridge? Will buy.

Yes it's a cartridge

evilernLeGG said:
How is the system compatibility?

I know some of these homebrewish games only run on certain hardware.

I ask because my main Genesis is a Laseractive. If it works with that, I'll put in an order tomorrow.

Ask them on the official forums.

I know it works on the official Sega manufactured Model 1, the Model 2, the CDX/Multimega, JVC X'eye, Nomad. So I'm thinking it probably will work with the LaserActive too.

It would probably have problems working on new "clone" units and possibly some systems manufactured by Majesco.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I too would be most interested in ordering a copy once they have more stock.
However, I don't have a SegaCD or 32X, and probably will never get around to busting out my old Genny and actually hooking it up to anything, so I'd love it if they'd release a ROM download that works with an emulator (preferably with the bonus goodies such as the CD sound and easter eggs). A brand new (hopefully quality) 16-bit RPG on the go via a PSP? Yes please!

Ranger X

Fuck so this means I need a Sega CD. I am not exactly appealed by the Genesis sound and especially in RPG style tunes. The Genny is good for beat and techno music really.

Anyhow, this looks really great. I love the looks they pulled off. I will seriously consider this game. (depending how hard it is to get a Sega CD and for what price)

Eric C

Ranger X said:
Fuck so this means I need a Sega CD. I am not exactly appealed by the Genesis sound and especially in RPG style tunes. The Genny is good for beat and techno music really.

Anyhow, this looks really great. I love the looks they pulled off. I will seriously consider this game. (depending how hard it is to get a Sega CD and for what price)

pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, goodwill, or maybe you'll be lucky and find one on craigslist or ebay for a good price

epmode

nincompoop said:
I would buy this if you could play it in an emulator.
Same here. I'm not about to dig out a Genesis + CD drive for one game, even if it's something I'd really like to play (like this!).

Digital release or no sale, sorry :(

BTW, would it be possible to get something like this on Steam? I'm convinced that it would sell very well but I guess the Genesis thing would screw that up?

Eric C

Super Thunder Drive III

Well this is a flyer thats included inside the Pier Solar box
It appears to be a new 32X game

Nobody seems to know what it is though and the Pier Solar developers aren't talking yet.

It might be somesort of joke or fake game though. Super Thunder Drive abbreviates to STD...

Feck, I just realised I have no idea where my Megadrive/MegaCD AV or power cables are - better get hunting for them and make sure my set-up still works before the game arrives.

seat said:
Seems like an awfully limited market to appeal to.

Yet they sold out the entire print run.

seat said:
I don't even have my Genesis anymore. Beside just a Genesis release, why don't they just port it to other platforms as well while retaining the Genesis look and music?

I'm sure that after working on it for so many years it'll eventually get ported to another platform somewhere down the line - but people always say the same thing about legacy releases for older systems, it's a labour of love, if they were that worried about the limited appeal they'd have brought it to a modern console in the first place.

Ericsc said:
Super Thunder Drive III

Well this is a flyer thats included inside the Pier Solar box
It appears to be a new 32X game

Oh wow, that's really cool - I like how the flyer is different depending on which version of Pier Solar you got. I'd love to see how far a developer can push the 32x, and I'm a big fan of old-school pseudo-3D-style racers, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. There appears to be a website up, but there's no information on there at the moment;

http://www.superthunderdrive.com/

Oh man. I really want a copy of this.

seat said:

After they sell the physical copies, they really should go for a WiiWare/PSN/XBLA release.

seat said:
How many copies of the game does that entail?

800 per version (JP/EU/US), so at least 2,400 at about $45 a pop - granted, it's nothing compared to the sort of numbers you'd get releasing the game on PSN or XBLA, but you could hardly charge a full retail price either. They'd have to sell at least 4x or 5x at much to make the same kind of money.

Psy-Phi

Genesis was stolen off my Mothers porch when she was cleaning out the attic while I was in college. Won't get to try this one unless they decide to step into the 21st century and release it on PC/Wii/360/PS3. Could do PS2 too but I'd prefer to not plug that thing back in.

Eric C

seat said:
How many copies of the game does that entail?

Edit: Found this topic on the site's message board: http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1496

Apparently it's confidential, but if the theoretical number of a meager 2500 copies is close to true, my point still stands.

2500 (just in pre-orders) if true would probably be the most successful homebrew cartridge release ever! EVER. Most of them have struggled to sell probably 500. The only thing comparable would be Beggar Prince at 1600 but that took 3 print runs and almost 3.5 to 4 years to sell that many.

Digital release on a modern console isn't necessarily the going to do drastically better for a new IP either. According to vireland himself, Arc the lad and Alundra priced at $5.99 each on PSN have sold around half of the 20,000 to 30,000 Vic said he was hoping for. That's a tragedy especially for Alundra IMO. People BUY Alundra and if you only buy one Arc game buy Arc II.

I'm not really digging the graphics, they're a tad too grainy for my liking. But then again, most classic Genesis RPGs had the same problem. I'd love a Genesis RPG with a look as clean as, say, Wonderboy in Monster World.

I watched some youtube videos of the beta release and have to say it grabs my phantasy star bone for the overworld stuff, how the party follows and the general grid style movement feeling, the battles seem to look nice and remind me of final fantasy obviously due to the classic side on approach.

$45, right? hm i'd love to own a copy for my pal machine at that price, will have to look into it when there is a 2nd run.

Eric C

Diablohead said:
I watched some youtube videos of the beta release and have to say it grabs my phantasy star bone for the overworld stuff, how the party follows and the general grid style movement feeling, the battles seem to look nice and remind me of final fantasy obviously due to the classic side on approach.

The battle system has changed the most from the demo/beta.

But yeah they do remind me of Final Fantasy games, and Lunar.

Eric C

This was just recently posted on the website. Thought a few people might be interested in this. Didn't see it yesterday or even this morning so it must've just been posted.

A WHITE NOMAD!

3XkKZ.png

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Keep us updated when more become available in the States. Really interested in a copy of this (and StarOdyssey!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom