• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe looks like ass

McCheese

iu

iu

CuQOdPwWgAAj8qH.jpg

Wii U version

This is the Wii U version for folks wondering, it shows the anti-aliasing on the fruit edges. Would love to post a side-by-side Switch version but unfortunately this is further along than the demo goes.

Here is the Switch version:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There's a free demo if you ever really cared to get it for Switch. 👀

I'm not big on demos. So I appreciate that OP went out there and shared their experience with us. But I was seriously considering getting this beforehand.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
If that’s true about the resolution, Nintendo definitely deserves criticism for this. Drop in/Drop out co-op is lovely, but not at this cost. It’s one of those where it’s hard to understand what they were thinking, especially in handheld.

Kikorin

I think it looks amazing, one of my favourite looking games on Wii U (some screen I took years ago with photo mode when I played it):

9oDZNK9.jpg

YfqmAV0.jpg

KDnLztX.jpg

77SbYNr.jpg

t1sojln.jpg

BGpLiak.jpg

Esp5j5r.jpg

3XLvPjl.jpg

FEx2jCG.jpg

Hudo

I agree that it doesn't look as cool/impressive as it looked back then on Wii U but I still have as much fun as I had back then.

Keihart

Looks alright, maybe OP was hoping for something cleaner like emulated nintendo games on PC?
It doesn't look worst than the original, so unless there was more promised, i think OP had the wrong expectations.

e0n

Major thing for me is the price which is the easiest change they will never make. This year has the feeling like everything is rushed to satiate fans while most of the main team works on Pikmin 4. I'm sure other dev teams are full with bayonetta, mp4, botw 2 as well.

Quasicat

Sometimes I pick these up, even though I already own it previously. This is one of those games, like Mario Maker, where I play it so much on the game pad that it would be hard to play it Any other way.

ZoolNL

The moest shitty thing about this is that “gamejournalists” will give this a 9/10 like what they did with that romcollection from last month.

I hate gaming journalism.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The moest shitty thing about this is that “gamejournalists” will give this a 9/10 like what they did with that romcollection from last month.

I hate gaming journalism.

You mean a good game is reviewed favorably? How terrible.

They made it look worse than Wii U, and it has no wiimote support, nor second screen. worthless port. I must say however, the Wii U game looks stunning for the most part.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pikman if it were a sports draft pick would be in the 5th or 6th round, c'mon Nintendo.

"Borderline unplayable"? lol

I agree that it looks bad... but you need to chill a bit, mate. It looks like a simple port they threw up together in a short amount of time to fill up the Switch lineup for the rest of the year.
Nintendo has had an insanely difficult time working from home, for some reason.

McCheese

"Borderline unplayable"? lol

I agree that it looks bad... but you need to chill a bit, mate.

Hah, well - I didn't say it's technically unplayable, I'm sure you can play it. But I no longer want to play it. It looks and controls worse than the Wii U version I already own. It has a new mode and co-op sounds decent, but it's far from the 'deluxe' edition I was expecting, they set a high bar with Mario Kart Deluxe, but for whatever reason decided Pikmin didn't deserve the same treatment but does deserve the same moniker and retail price.

If Nintendo had a better refund policy it wouldn't have made an angry thread about it, but they don't let you cancel pre-orders once the pre-loading has begun, they won a french lawsuit the other month fighting this, and In this case in particular, they began pre-loading on the day the pre-orders started which is even more anti-consumer. All we had at that point was footage that does not represent the 1.0 demo (and presumably retail).

It's worth noting that they could fix it, if enough people kicked up a stink they would release a statement and likely patch in some sort of dynamic resolution, or at least an upgrade for when not playing in split-screen mode.

But we are too lenient on them as consumers, and the gaming press is too scared of getting blackballed.

Zelda's shitty frame-rate got a free pass, 3D all-stars got great review scores despite being low effort emulation, and I'm sure reviewers will overlook what a weak port this is and instead say "the Switch Pro can't come soon enough!" and frame a 7-year-old game running at 540p/30fps as some weird positive for their next hardware release.

Sorry - If I'm going to be £50 down, I'm going to rant about it, and maybe stop others from making the same mistake of giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Xellos

Pikmin 3 has some amazing looking environments and creatures, but for a 'Deluxe' edition the image quality is disappointing.

Also weird that some of the ground textures seem to be different between Wii U and Switch.

Carna

Banned
Switch is kind of an odd beast, there's some appealing games on it (Botw/Arms) but other times, it's just sequel and port machine where the sequels haven't evolved past the gamecube and feel downgraded (Mario franchise/Kirby/Pokemon) and a bunch of ports you can probably get for a lower price elsewhere, you can find a little bit of niche games that interest you, but that requires some scurrying all over the internet to find them.

ZoolNL

You mean a good game is reviewed favorably? How terrible.
They tend to forget that we need to pay 60 dollar for this great game, which was 20 a few months ago.

Being not that good port should be at least mentioned for the consumers why they need to pay 40 dollar more...

Great game 7 years ago. Now more ugly and 40 dollar more expensive than the original. 9/10 must buy.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They tend to forget that we need to pay 60 dollar for this great game, which was 20 a few months ago.

Being not that good port should be at least mentioned for the consumers why they need to pay 40 dollar more...

Great game 7 years ago. Now more ugly and 40 dollar more expensive than the original. 9/10 must buy.

Yes, the game still can be picked up for under 20 dollars... assuming you have a Wii U. Most don’t. Buying a Wii U + Pikmin 3 is still more expensive than Pikmin 3 on switch. If you want the game cheaper and have a Wii U then buy it there.

A good game remains a good game. Graphics are not that important and never were.Solid art direction is more important and that hasn’t changed over the past 7 years.

Also the game doesn’t look worse. Unless something is up with both my phone and monitor, the screenshots shown are near indistinguishable.

The fact that it doesn't run at 720 in portable and 1080 docked is a dead giveaway that they didn't put any work other than the complete bare minimum to get it out the door. If they were selling this for 20$ I would be cool with it, but 60$ for a shitty port? No AA, additional texture filtering or anything?

C'mon Nintendo.

me0wish

Well, it started out as a Wii game, so they're trying to make you experience the original vision of the game.

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day post on a message board where games will be judged not by their pixel counts and shaders but by the quality of their game mechanics!"

33870486865_c4be14daa8_o-1600x720.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
gotta admit, the low resolution is making me rethink purchasing this. i'm hoping Nintendo has one last megaton for the year they have yet to unveil so i will get that instead. kind of a pathetic year for the system tbh.

pixelation

Vote with your wallets, the problem is that people seem to buy whatever Nintendo puts out regardless of the effort put in or the quality of the product (the recent 3D Mario collection as an example).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
gotta admit, the low resolution is making me rethink purchasing this. i'm hoping Nintendo has one last megaton for the year they have yet to unveil so i will get that instead. kind of a pathetic year for the system tbh.
I still have my Wii U hooked up and actually never got around to playing this. All the coverage is making me want to start it up at some point soon.

Bridges

I haven't tried the Switch port but I thought it was beautiful on Wii U. Seeing some of the screenshots here maybe it does look worse in the port? If so that's a real shame, but the Wii U version was probably always going to be superior for its Gamepad controls regardless.

Zog

Banned
How does Mario Kart 8 Deluxe get such a nice upgrade, but Pikmin is 720p blur-fest? Another simple port it seems.
..because Nintendo fans have sent the message that they will buy the Wii U ports at full price because they can play them "on the go" and because "they didn't own a Wii U", quality doesn't matter.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
..because Nintendo fans have sent the message that they will buy the Wii U ports at full price because they can play them "on the go" and because "they didn't own a Wii U", quality doesn't matter.
It’s sad. Nintendo has had barely any original content this gen.

McCheese

Wow, its almost like there is very little to zero difference between the two!

So why are people trying so desperately to try and claim otherwise?

Portable mode looks noticeably worse, docked looks marginally worse, this is supposed to be the deluxe edition of a 7 year old game and costs $50.

Top Bottom