• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Gameplay Montage

Galang

Banned
I Always felt it looked okay, but it looks really stunning in the new video. Love the monster designs and the atmosphere of the game is very well put together. Ground textures kind of bother me since everything else looks amazing in comparison, but eh.. Im impressed.

Appleman

Play mario Wii-U on the Wii-U. It looks really great. i know the game is not as demanding as let's say CoD BLOPS2, but it DOES run in real 720P, at a solid 60 fps and it's really clean, so there is some noce anti aliassing going on. (not on the world map for some reason though..).

Trine looks absolutely phenomenal.

Pikim3 will look great. But games made from the ground up for Wii-U will look way better even.

However, if you buy a Wii-U for multiplats,.. then maybe that's not your best bet. Devs rarely rewally go the extra mile to build the same game again from the ground up for one system.
And, the xbox720 and ps4 will get much better versions when they come out.

But i have no single doubt that the first party games will look absoletely breathtaking.

Yep. If the IQ is anything like Mario U this is going to look really, really good. NSMBU has somehow turned into one of my favourite looking games

seems you need to be less subtle. not sure why, I chuckled at your first post

How are you guys not getting that Error Macro is being ironic. He's being really really obvious. They really need to make the irony punctuation mark official.

Hilarious that it took almost a whole page for someone to notice.

Haha :D

I'll just have to assume it was either really early in the morning or late at night for most ;)

Too many Pikmin getting eaten, can not watch.

Seriously now, this is actually the biggest thing that would make me not want to play the game. Having Pikmin get crushed, gobbled up, and squeezed to death and then seeing their little souls float upwards really gets to me. I must be getting really emotionally sensitive in my old age; I don't recall having as much of a problem when I first played the GameCube titles...

Yep. If the IQ is anything like Mario U this is going to look really, really good. NSMBU has somehow turned into one of my favourite looking games

Nintendo always produce fantastic looking games and i doubt this gen will be any different. Hell some of my favorite looking games from the wii/360/PS3 gen were made by nintendo despite being on the wii.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This looks fantastic!
They just keep getting better and better at designing those monsters!

I thought the E3 version looked fine, and this video shows even more impressive stuff.
Can't wait for multiplayer!

Jacobi

Banned
Looks better than the e3 version, but the texturework still looks really crappy. Come on, this game will release in 2013!

sonic-generations-pc-1v47_resized_1020_wm.jpg

Even sega managed to have really nice textures in a comic look game...

Mit-

Does anyone REALLY think this is up to par with nice looking PS3/360 games? I think it's pretty apparent that this was once a Wii game, now moved to WiiU. It also seems to look nicer from the last time we saw it (more lighting effects), leading me to believe they've been trying to make it look prettier these past few months.

Also, no release date and no information until later? I have a feeling this game will be missing the "launch window" that ends March 31st.

Also for whatever reason, the point at which I got the most excited was at the end where you throw the girl onto the platform in the pond to pick some blue pikmin and then carry cherries through the water. That's when it clicked that I will be getting a WiiU when this game comes out.

Seriously now, this is actually the biggest thing that would make me not want to play the game. Having Pikmin get crushed, gobbled up, and squeezed to death and then seeing their little souls float upwards really gets to me. I must be getting really emotionally sensitive in my old age; I don't recall having as much of a problem when I first played the GameCube titles...
I've always had this problem :( Losing Pikmin is so sad. Such adorable, innocent creatures, and they scream and then let out their last breath when they die :( At least their souls clearly go to heaven.

Jacobi

Banned
Also for whatever reason, the point at which I got the most excited was at the end where you throw the girl onto the platform in the pond to pick some blue pikmin and then carry cherries through the water. That's when it clicked that I will be getting a WiiU when this game comes out.
Haha yeah, I also though I WOULD HAVE DONE IT THAT WAY TOO! what's up with the Olis in this game though? Can you customize them like Miis or are they just ugly?

Mit-

Haha yeah, I also though I WOULD HAVE DONE IT THAT WAY TOO! what's up with the Olis in this game though? Can you customize them like Miis or are they just ugly?

There are four of them. They're actual characters, so, not customizable.

Someone help me out here, this game looks great and I love the setting. However, is there some sort of overarching story going on here or is it simply get a mission head out into the wild and complete it? Seems like that would get boring after awhile, to me. The best part to me was when they were on the lily pads gathering the cherries lol. On the flip side Little King's Story held my interest quite well because there was a loose story tying things together and there was a lot of base building happening to compliment the core game.

kinggroin

Banned
Does anyone REALLY think this is up to par with nice looking PS3/360 games? I think it's pretty apparent that this was once a Wii game, now moved to WiiU. It also seems to look nicer from the last time we saw it (more lighting effects), leading me to believe they've been trying to make it look prettier these past few months.

Also, no release date and no information until later? I have a feeling this game will be missing the "launch window" that ends March 31st.

I've always had this problem :( Losing Pikmin is so sad. Such adorable, innocent creatures, and they scream and then let out their last breath when they die :( At least their souls clearly go to heaven.

give me an example of a 360 or PlayStation 3 game, and I'll give you my opinion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think the crab onion thing wasn't killing the pikmin much. He was crunching them in his mouth a lot but I didn't see any souls rising to heaven.

Someone help me out here, this game looks great and I love the setting. However, is there some sort of overarching story going on here or is it simply get a mission head out into the wild and complete it? Seems like that would get boring after awhile, to me. The best part to me was when they were on the lily pads gathering the cherries lol. On the flip side Little King's Story held my interest quite well because there was a loose story tying things together and there was a lot of base building happening to compliment the core game.

hmm. Were there any objects that weren't fruit? Saw cherries, apple, orange and a strawberry. I hope they still have silly names for everyday objects.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
This will be the last Pikmin we ever get. It will bomb and then be placed on F-Zero status.

OH MY GOD STOP ATTACKING THE CRAB

STOP

IT'S KILLING EVERYONE

EDIT: My only major concern with Pikmin 3's graphics is the texture filtering. I hope they're doing something there. ZombiU and Nintendo Land have shitty texture filtering and jesus fuck I do not want another Nintendo generation of textures blurring two feet in front of me. Seriously, 16xAF. 8xAF. Please, Wii U. Please be able to do it.

Though to be fair, that heavy DOF probably hides an absence of AF pretty well.

lol

Also, did we know about this female character beforehand? Louie and Olimar are both back so that brings the chracter count to 3, might there be a another to bring this thing to 4 player multiplayer? Loved Pikmin 2's multiplayer, so if this comes anywhere close to that I'll be a happy camper. Also looks like you can throw lead characters now too. Good, backtracking to get back to the top of cliffs was so damn annoying.

The story for the last two games has generally involved a need to collect special parts/objects out in the wilds, in the first to repair your ship in time before you lost your oxygen producing machine, and in the second to repay your hiring company's debt. It's a pretty paper thin plot, but it's there at least. But Pikmin's never meant to be about the plot anyway, this is very much a "get lost in the little details/atmosphere" kinda game.

This will be the last Pikmin we ever get. It will bomb and then be placed on F-Zero status.

You shut your dirty whore mouth you

lol

Also, did we know about this female character beforehand? Louie and Olimar are both back so that brings the chracter count to 3, might there be a another to bring this thing to 4 player multiplayer? Loved Pikmin 2's multiplayer, so if this comes anywhere close to that I'll be a happy camper. Also looks like you can throw lead characters now too. Good, backtracking to get back to the top of cliffs was so damn annoying.
The character count is 4 but for some reason at E3 I remember them saying Louie was not playable/ a part of the group of 4.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
* waiting for US Nintendo Direct to see new footage *

btw, I'm much less concerned with how it looks than how it plays. I very much want a GCN style control method. I hope they do a good job mapping the controls from Pikmin Gamecube onto the Gamepad. After that I just want online anything.

There is a story, it's just not that important. On the first Pikmin Capt. Olimar's ship was hit by a meteor while passing near the Pikmin planet(which is implied to be Earth, thus making Olimar and the Pikmin miniature species), so he crash lands on the planet and has to collect as much ship parts as possible before the oxygen supply on the ship empties. Each time a day passes you get an entry on Olimar's journal giving us an insight on his family and thoughts.

Pikmin 2 starts right after Olimar returns to his planet, as the president of the company he works for declares that it's going bankrupt so he sends Louie and Olimar back to the Pikmin planet since it's apparently rich in treasure. This time you don't have a time limit to complete youur objectives and instead of a journal you receive letters.

In this one apparently Olimar is in trouble so you start the game by using his son and daughter, not much else is known about the story yet.

So it does have a loose story, but it's really not that important, and missing it wouldn't really detract from the game.

* waiting for US Nintendo Direct to see new footage *

btw, I'm much less concerned with how it looks than how it plays. I very much want a GCN style control method. I hope they do a good job mapping the controls from Pikmin Gamecube onto the Gamepad. After that I just want online anything.
I think the touch screen controls would work well. The nintendoland pikmin game works well on almost entire touch screen controls. I think they could also do regular GCN controls with the Wii u pad.

Mit-

With the controls introduced in the Wii versions of Pikmin 1 and 2, are you still able to rally your Pikmin in circles around yourself? It was painful watching that Olimar play run while all his Pikmin behind him got gobbled up. I always used the c-stick to swing my pikmin to the side or in front of myself to prevent them from getting eaten.
give me an example of a 360 or PlayStation 3 game, and I'll give you my opinion.
It's hard finding a good game to use as a comparison. I'll instead bring up Pikmin 1 and 2, and how the geometry hardly looks any better in Pikmin 3 compared to the two. The characters and animations look great, but they have always looked great in the Pikmin series. I was expecting a major leap in detail with the geometry, and it is simply not there. Still low-poly, flat looking, and the textures also appear pretty low-res. Disappointing.

The story for the last two games has generally involved a need to collect special parts/objects out in the wilds, in the first to repair your ship in time before you lost your oxygen producing machine, and in the second to repay your hiring company's debt. It's a pretty paper thin plot, but it's there at least. But Pikmin's never meant to be about the plot anyway, this is very much a "get lost in the little details/atmosphere" kinda game.

Guess I am just not seeing enough of those details in that trailer. I think a friend of mine is picking this up, will check it out further when he gets it.

Jacobi

Banned
So it does have a loose story, but it's really not that important, and missing it wouldn't really detract from the game.
There's probably going to be an Intro and an Outro like in all Pikmin games... I really loved watching the Outro in Pikmin 2. Maybe it's about rescuing Oliluigi...

With the controls introduced in the Wii versions of Pikmin 1 and 2, are you still able to rally your Pikmin in circles around yourself? It was painful watching that Olimar play run while all his Pikmin behind him got gobbled up. I always used the c-stick to swing my pikmin to the side or in front of myself to prevent them from getting eaten.

You're not able to do that with Wii controls and I think it wasn't possible on the Gamepad too (at E3)

Oh man I know I'm going to be throwing my Wii U pad in that pitch black area. This game looks great. It's all about the level design and EAD4 hasn't lost it. Also, some of those monsters in these are fucking horrendous.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There's probably going to be an Intro and an Outro like in all Pikmin games... I really loved watching the Outro in Pikmin 2. Maybe it's about rescuing Oliluigi...

You're not able to do that with Wii controls and I think it wasn't possible on the Gamepad too (at E3)

you could line them up behind you with the dpad.

I expect GCN style controls at least as an option - the gamepad lends itself to that and I don't think using it as pointer controls would work (with perhaps pointer options if you have a wiimote).

if the map is on the gamepad screen and is used to switch characters etc, then it can't be used for aiming

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
you could line them up behind you with the dpad.

I expect GCN style controls at least as an option - the gamepad lends itself to that and I don't think using it as pointer controls would work (with perhaps pointer options if you have a wiimote).

if the map is on the gamepad screen and is used to switch characters etc, then it can't be used for aiming

I hope you're right. Lining up Pikmin was borderline useless in the NPC games, for the reasons stated earlier. We need some way to have formations or even giving basic simple macro-commands to your whole party.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I used it all the time, never had any problems.

Every time I was attacked on a narrow passage or bridge I would have to turn the line of Pikmin around in order to avoid being eaten, and consequently either create a bottle-neck or have a lot of them fall into the water or get burned by fires and die.

The Boat

Every time I was attacked on a narrow passage or bridge I would have to turn the line of Pikmin around in order to avoid being eaten, and consequently either create a bottle-neck or have a lot of them fall into the water or get burned by fires and die.

And how is this different from the GC versions? Honest question, because it's been years since I played them.

I thought it was useful in circumstances such as in the trailer where a giant bulborb is trying to help itself to a meal. Also you could use it and have all the pikmin swarm an enemy instead of waiting to throw them all.

Neiteio

Pikmin 2 was one of my favorite games ever, yet I wasn't excited about Pikmin 3.... UNTIL NOW. Looks amazing -- did you see that fuckin crab? I love how it blocks incoming Pikmin with its large pincer and instead of killing Pikmin, it turns them into bubbles. AWESOME! Also, that bioluminescent flying stingray that creates whirlwinds looks awesome. THIS GAME BETTER HAVE A BESTIARY, like Pikmin 2, but I'm worried it'll be two steps forward, one step back, like taking single-player Versus out of the otherwise immaculate Mario Kart 7. :-\ Also, if there's another new Pikmin type in this game, I wish they'd confirm it already. I'd love for those pink flying Pikmin in the one trailer to be playable...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
And how is this different from the GC versions? Honest question, because it's been years since I played them.

I never played the GC versions, wanted to pick them up when I got a Wii but by then they were difficult to come by and the NPC versions were cheaper.
Was just basing my opinion on some of the other posts in this thread that made it sound like you could use the GC controller's C stick to rally pikmin in more ways then you could with the single button on the wiimote, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

edit: Also, this crossover needs to happen eventually. Maybe this is what Nintendo are going for with 4 player co-op in Pikmin 3.
tumblr_m64ziw0j4A1qdpt0co1_1280.jpg

The Boat

I never played the GC versions, wanted to pick them up when I got a Wii but by then they were difficult to come by and the NPC versions were cheaper.
Was just basing my opinion on some of the other posts in this thread that made it sound like you could use the GC controller's C stick to rally pikmin in more ways then you could with the single button on the wiimote, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

If I recall correctly, it works pretty much the same, you just need to pay more attention in the Wii version because you're aiming the line somewhere instead of pressing a stick. Like I said, I played the GC ones ages ago, but the functionality is the same.

Game looks fucking stunning.

Love the depth of field effects - it's even noticeable when the bubbles are flying into the screen. Gives a better sense of depth than any 'pop out' 3D tech could hope to achieve.

Still looks like a gussied up Gamecube game but I don't care so hard.

The part of the video with the black bulborb stalking them in the darkness reminded me of how good Pikmin was at instilling me with fear.

Amikami

Banned
Yeah. it definitely looks like it's look improved. Looking at the video, I already feel frustrated. I'm gonna lose so many pikmin.

Top Bottom