• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Incudes Worldwide Leaderboards

JoeM86

Sorry if this has already been posted, did a quick search and saw nothing

On the back of the case, as posted around the net, it states that Pikmin 3 has got online scoreboards. Definitely an interesting thing to have!

hd76QjW.jpg

Back Cover Rundown:

Outputs in 1080p - Renders in 720p
Nintendo Network: Online Rankings, Miiverse functionality
Controller compatibility: GamePad, Wiimote+Nunchuck, Pro Controller
Sound: 5.1
White & Purple Pikmin relegated to multiplaer mode only

Mariolee

A little off topic, but that art on the back is absolutely beautiful. Is there a high resolution picture of it online?

The classic controller is supported too? I'm surprised at how many Wii U games support it. Its great as I have a regular and pro, as well as a Wii U pro controller so people have options for local multiplayer.

JoeM86

The classic controller is supported too? I'm surprised at how many Wii U games support it. Its great as I have a regular and pro, as well as a Wii U pro controller so people have options for local multiplayer.

Nope, the Classic Controller isn't. Just the Pro Controller, GamePad and Wiimote/Nunchuck

Purple and White Pikmin are only available within the two-player mission mode.

Thanks! That is a huge bummer. So we are still only controlling five units max like Pikmin 2. It seems like such a missed opportunity to increase the complexity of the gameplay along with the three captains.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
26th of July. Hopefully pre-order arrives on sweet time!!!!!

wrowa

Wait.. it's out already? Why is there no thread?

NoE sent out (some?) review codes a week or two ago. Though, online reviews have a release date embargo I think. But, yeah, a few GAFers are probably playing it right now
I wish I was one of them

Point of the game is to replay it and get better at it... it's a strategy game.

I didn't say it's a bad thing, just thought it might be an interesting tidbit.

I didn't say it's a bad thing, just thought it might be an interesting tidbit.

Sure, I get that. I just don't see anyone who buys this game to just play it once and be done with it. That's not really where the full joy of a strategy game is.

JoeM86

I don't really see how online play is that feasible. Say it's two player co-op. Each player has 100 Pikmin. Each Pikmin has its own AI and runs independently, despite you giving orders. As such, the console is constantly sending and receiving data for 202 chaeracters, not to mention what is going on with enemies, items etc.

That would bottleneck most connections.

DrNeroCF

I don't really see how online play is that feasible. Say it's two player co-op. Each player has 100 Pikmin. Each Pikmin has its own AI and runs independently, despite you giving orders. As such, the console is constantly sending and receiving data for 202 chaeracters, not to mention what is going on with enemies, items etc.

That would bottleneck most connections.

Nah, just has to send player commands. Pretty sure that's how most (all?) RTSes do it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
White/Purple only in multiplayer? What the fuck. How is there not more controversy over this?

Because they aren't great Pikmin.

White is horrible and killing a Pikmin so wilfully is a crime. Purple is a nice design but pretty two dimensional.

I suspect that having so many different pikmin types would have increased tedious micro managing for little tactical flexibility - white and purple have their uses but lack the creative and tactical applications that the originals do.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
White & Purple Pikmin relegated to multiplaer mode only

god damn it

Can you play mission mode in single player? If so it's not so bad, having 7 Pikmin types along with 3 main characters would probably have been too much. At least Purple/White Pikmin are still around.

Darryl

Banned
this is funny in the context of like 6 months now hearing people complain about how nintendo hasn't embraced the simpler elements of online and refuses to put the smaller things like leaderboards in their games.

Top Bottom