• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 release date: Japan July 14th, US August 4th

They probably hit the wall that is HD game development because they did not prepare themselves after watching everyone else in the industry hit that same wall at the beginning of this gen.

This excuse needs to die in a fire. It's so silly it's not even worth discussing.

I wonder what this means for Wonderful 101? October?

I can't believe this went from launch title to launch window to the second half of the year.

What a joke.

Did you see what those textures were looking like in previous showings? They had to re-work a lot of this game, and do so under a perfectionist.

Here's the current software lineup for Wii U:

April - Injustice: Gods Among US, free Rayman Legends challenge mode eShop release
May - Resident Evil: Revelations HD, Deus Ex: Director's Cut, Fast & Furious: Showdown, Sniper Elite V2
June - Lego Batman 2, Game & Wario
TBA Summer - Wii U Party, Duck Tales Remastered, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, Spin the Bottle
August - Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell: Black List, Disney Infinity, Disney's Planes
TBA Fall - Rayman Legends, Wind Waker Remake, Shovel Knight

Missing in action: The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Yoshi's Epic Yarn, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros 4, X, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart, and confirmed but unannounced 2013 titles (planed for late release according to Iwata)

Deus Ex is my next buy for Wii U

Hmm, well hopefully it'll have off-TV play, I'm going on a vacay in August and it'll be nice to play Pikmin 3 during that time :)

Wished they revealed more about the pink pikmin T_T So far it looks like it has terrain immunity, which will be helpful for carrying stuff around and having to deal with water and additional environmental hazards at the same time.

So I guess I'll be turning on my Wii U again in August.

One of these days I'll learn not to rush out and buy a Nintendo console at launch. Ah, who am I kidding. No I won't.

Turns out Pachter was right about something - they're not selling an average of 4 games per system by the end of April. Hopefully they bring it for Holiday. This kind of title drought is not good for a system. The lack of exclusives early on got the Ps3 labelled as the system with no games, and the lack of non-mingame titles for the Wii got that labelled as the casual system.

Its not a excuse. Nintendo should have prepared themselves when transitioning from SD to HD development. They had the time and money to do so.

I'm saying that the excuse is not even valid. HD game development doesn't rewrite the book on game development. Rendering in 720p doesn't change everything.

Burnburn

Still no EU date?

I bought my Wii U at launch for this game...

Oh well, at least the EU is getting some 3DS titles earlier, so that balances it out :).

Here's the current software lineup for Wii U:

Updated

April - Injustice: Gods Among US, free Rayman Legends challenge mode eShop release
May - Resident Evil: Revelations HD, Deus Ex: Director's Cut, Fast & Furious: Showdown, Sniper Elite V2
June - Lego Batman 2, Game & Wario
TBA Spring - Mutant Mudds Deluxe
TBA Summer - Wii U Party, Duck Tales Remastered, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, Spin the Bottle
August - Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell: Black List, Disney Infinity, Disney's Planes
TBA Fall - Rayman Legends, Wind Waker Remake, Watch Dogs
September - Shovel Knight
October - Assassin's Creed 4, Batman: Origins

Missing in action:
Ghost Recon Online, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Yoshi's Epic Yarn, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros 4, X, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart, and confirmed but unannounced 2013 titles (planned for late release according to Iwata)

I was thinking of this earlier. Knowing Nintendo, there is no way all of these games are goine to come out this year. I would bet everything from Nintendo is delayed into 2014 except the following. Keep in mind this is just Nintendo games not the others.

August - Pikmin
September - Wind Waker
October - W101
November - Yoshi Yarn
December Wii Fit U

I just dont see Bayonetta , Smash 4, FEXSMT or 3d Mario releasing this year.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I mean, I'll have 3DS games for days... but my Wii U is going to be covered in a thick layer of dust by August 4th.

Do you guys have consoles that like.. shoot jets of air from every surface when you play them, blowing the dust off them? Maybe mine are defective.

I was thinking of this earlier. Knowing Nintendo, there is no way all of these games are goine to come out this year. I would bet everything from Nintendo is delayed into 2014 except the following. Keep in mind this is just Nintendo games not the others.

August - Pikmin
September - Wind Waker
October - W101
November - Yoshi Yarn
December Wii Fit U

I just dont see Bayonetta , Smash 4, FEXSMT or 3d Mario releasing this year.

Are they expecting a HD remake and Wii-Fit U to be their big holiday titles?

Big N pls

It doesn't even look particularly ambitious, it's just the original game with slightly better visuals. The scope certainly doesn't look like it's changed much either. What the fuck are they playing at?!!

Just.. Urgh, fucking Nintendo.

Anth0ny

Do you guys have consoles that like.. shoot jets of air from every surface when you play them, blowing the dust off them? Maybe mine are defective.

this is true lol

I'll reword my sentence: my Wii U gamepad is going to be covered in a thick layer of dust by August 4th.

It doesn't even look particularly ambitious, it's just the original game with slightly better visuals. The scope certainly doesn't look like it's changed much either. What the fuck are they playing at?!!

Just.. Urgh, fucking Nintendo.

We've seen literally 2 areas of this game. Calm down.

Going to bed now, will update the OP tomorrow if any official screens pop up.

Hiltz

Back at E3 2012, Miyamoto said Pikmin 3's been in development for 5 years, but with a small development team for most of the time. It's been developed on Wii U for slightly under 2 years ago. The title was first announced at E3 2008.

Tookay

I knew it had been pushed back until summer, but this is fucking ridiculous.

I'm sure this is part of some initiative to release one first-party game a month to gain momentum; however, it's clear they weren't ready to release this system.

Big N pls

Yeah, I just don't imagine they could possibly get something like Mario or Smash out when nothing has been shown yet. Mario Kart is a maybe that probably has the best chance. Even then though, This is Nintendo. Look how long Pikmin has been delayed.

Tookay

Yeah, I just don't imagine they could possibly get something like Mario or Smash out when nothing has been shown yet. Mario Kart is a maybe that probably has the best chance. Even then though, This is Nintendo. Look how long Pikmin has been delayed.

If 3D Mario's been delayed, they'll probably push it back to May at earliest, if not to next holiday entirely.

I don't see them releasing it January-April, or most of the summer. Sales potential during those periods are too low.

effzee

Big N pls

I think, and I emphasize THINK, that Mario Kart U and or Mario 3D U are supposed to be released this fall. At least that is what Nintendo said or implied in their last Nintendo Direct which was dedicated to the Wii U.

As much as this delay sucks lets hope this means the game is an absolute gem. If they can release one top quality 1st party game per month starting August then it should go long ways to help them out. No they won't regain #1 but it will ensure the survival of the system.

Mario Kart online if done right could be huge.

I think Smash Bros 4 they said would be shown in only images this E3 so that one is def for next year. And considering their terrible shape right now I think they will at least show Zelda U this E3.

Makonero

Back at E3 2012, Miyamoto said Pikmin 3's been in development for 5 years, but with a small development team for most of the time. It's been developed on Wii U for slightly under 2 years ago. The title was first announced at E3 2008.

Clearly something went wrong with development. My assumption is that quite a few tea tables were up-ended and Nintendo's philosophy since the Gamecube days (after Sunshine and Wind Waker were both rushed) has been to push back release dates in order to perfect gameplay.

At the very least, I now know when I'm picking up my Wii U.

I think, and I emphasize THINK, that Mario Kart U and or Mario 3D U are supposed to be released this fall. At least that is what Nintendo said or implied in their last Nintendo Direct which was dedicated to the Wii U.

As much as this delay sucks lets hope this means the game is an absolute gem. If they can release one top quality 1st party game per month starting August then it should go long ways to help them out. No they won't regain #1 but it will ensure the survival of the system.

I think Smash Bros 4 they said would be shown in only images this E3 so that one is def for next year. And considering their terrible shape right now I think they will at least show Zelda U this E3.

I doubt they will show much more than concept art for the next Zelda, Its too far off would be my guess.

That's the impression I got too. And, did we not get Mario Galaxy after the first year of Wii? And Mario Kart Wii too?

I am hopeful, but there is also a train coming with PS4-XBOX written on the side of it too so whatever.

effzee

I doubt they will show much more than concept art for the next Zelda, Its too far off would be my guess.

Well typically yes but they recently started to announce and show some games that are way off to combat the negative press and terrible sales. So while last generation or so I wouldn't expect to see a new Zelda until it was close to a year away, even if Zelda U isn't slated to come out for another 2 years I can see them showing something this E3. Or maybe the Wind Waker HD remake will be enough for now.

Also why they made sure to mention the next Smash Bros game even though they did say only images this E3.

God I wish we were getting a Majora's Mask HD remake instead or maybe next year. Best Zelda ever and could totally use the upgrade to HD graphics much more than Wind Waker needs.

Not that Pikmin was a system seller or anything, but with it delays to Aug what does Nintendo have between now and then? Man Wii U is going to put up some abysmal sales numbers this summer. Iwata better get that resume updated.

Katzii

Not sure what you're trying to say with this?

Europe doesn't have a release date yet. Which could be worrying, considering how Nintendo isn't adverse to having multiple months between release dates in different regions.

Pretty much the above. At least you HAVE a release date. No release date in Europe means that we might be lucky and get it close to NA, but we also might have months on top of what you're waiting for it before we can get it.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Just jumped on the hype train for this and bought Pikmin 1 and 2 Wii editions to play on my Wii U. I feel I owe it to myself as a gamer.

Top Bottom