• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Aeana

Here's the thing: I loved, LOVED Torment and other infinity engine games. Obsidian also has a good track record. But there's no details about the game on offer. No characters, no RPG system, nothing. Just a generic fantasy map. It doesn't exactly stoke the fires of my imagination.

I backed DoubleFine because I wanted to see them take a crack at nearly-dead genre: the adventure game. At this point, however, if you come to Kickstarter asking for my backing, I want a little more. At least great concept art or a plot or SOMETHING. What is this game that I'm backing?

I guess they just assume that the pedigree of the people working on it will be enough. And I think for lots of people, it will be. But yeah, it would be nice if they had a bit more.

Decado

Wow. What a terrible kickstarter page. There is no info! "We want to make a game that's like the Infinity Engine games. Give us money."

Ridiculous.

Dennis

Banned
abh35.png

What have I done

Pledged $250.

...now to explain that to the wife...lol.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Here's the thing: I loved, LOVED Torment and other infinity engine games. Obsidian also has a good track record. But there's no details about the game on offer. No characters, no RPG system, nothing. Just a generic fantasy map. It doesn't exactly stoke the fires of my imagination.

I backed DoubleFine because I wanted to see them take a crack at a nearly-dead genre: the adventure game. At this point, however, if you come to Kickstarter asking for my backing, I want a little more. At least great concept art or a plot or SOMETHING. What is this game that I'm backing?

there will be more detailes and Sawyer talks about some game mechanics in the video.

EVOL 100%

I backed DoubleFine because I wanted to see them take a crack at a nearly-dead genre: the adventure game. At this point, however, if you come to Kickstarter asking for my backing, I want a little more. At least great concept art or a plot or SOMETHING. What is this game that I'm backing?

They're most likely going to trickle out some details for the remaining 32 days.

Yeah, I guess it'll be partial VA, à la Infinite Engine games.

Which is best VA <3

Alastor

I'm thinking about robbing a bank to fund this project. Or maybe they just give me the money if I tell them about this.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I backed DoubleFine because I wanted to see them take a crack at nearly-dead genre: the adventure game. At this point, however, if you come to Kickstarter asking for my backing, I want a little more. At least great concept art or a plot or SOMETHING. What is this game that I'm backing?

Which is why people are leaping on this one. CRPGs of this kind are damn near extinct. Spiderweb is burning the lone candle at its vigil, but this is the first breath of air the genre has taken in a while.

And it's not like these guys don't have a track record for making great RPGs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm glad this project exists, and I did contribute some money, but I'm actually beginning to hit my limit with Kickstarters since I've yet to actually have one of the things I've backed come out. I feel like this is probably my last one.

I try to donate to a wide variety of stuff (including non-game stuff) in various stages of completion so loot keeps steadily flowing in.

I've donated to 18 projects and the stats look like:
5 unsuccessful
4 in my hands
1 currently shipping / in the mail
8 still in development (6 games, 2 film/tv projects)

Aaron

I'm still going to pledge, but I also wish there were a few more images beyond some character art. Not expecting anything from an actual game, but a little more concept art would go a long way, especially with its generic as hell title.

ShaneB

Well my goodness. This may be the first game I kickstart, not that there haven't been other kickstarter games I'll buy on release, but this... damn!

SerRodrik

Usually I just go for the preorder price for Kickstarters, but I'm thinking I'll go for the 35$ price this time around. They name dropped Arcanum, take all my money.

ok, so far the only thing we know is that magic is connected to people's souls and that's enough for me to get excited about the project because it's a)an idea which can be exectuted through game mechanics and that is the way for the medium to go b)I believe that Obsidian will execute it right and it won't be just another mana pool.

also I expect more details (screens, art, game mechanics) to follow.

Exactly, if they can have the lore and mechanics reflect each other like that, that would be amazing.

Pooya

yeah, this is not a good kickstarter page, there is really nothing. and the game is estimated for April 2014! so I think they really have nothing at the moment. $1.1m for nearly 2 years seems low, no? they will easily hit their goal though, how much more than that will be interesting.

Hambone

My wallet is ready. Probably drop the $65

This is a no brainer for me. Still playing New Vegas, and recently finished KOTOR2 (again) and Alpha Protocol (for the 4th time)

Loving the GIFs, keep them up.

Dynoro

Pledged a little to start - but bound to escalate quickly as I see which way they are going with the themes and gameplay

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
They will reach the goal and go beyond, it's clear !

It's the dream project of all gamers in love with 90's/early 2000's PC RPG, and requested since a decade.

PBalfredo

I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, I love the writing in Obsidian games. Fallout:NV, Alpha Protocol, KOTOR II, all great stuff. On the other hand I didn't grow up playing their isometric RPGs at the time and my attempts to go back and play Fallout 2, Arcanium and Planescape via GOG have not gone well. Too much hinderance by slow, cluncky interfaces and I feel the pulled back perspective hurts immersion.

DTKT

I'm in for 80 bucks and a physical copy.

It might be a trainwreck of immense proportion but I'm glad I can do my part for good games to be made.

wrowa

I've got to admit, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't tell us any details about the game except "It got all the best parts of all the best games we've developed". Avellone was talking so long about starting a Kickstarter that I assume that they already have dozens of concepts flying around.

Same for story. The quotes of the last days makes it seem as if they've already significant parts of the plot outlined. Why not share anything?

Though, I guess they are saving some stuff for future updates. You've got to keep the attention after all.

Lancehead

Yeah, I guess it'll be partial VA, à la Infinite Engine games.

There should be very little voice acting, if any. Because you can't voice act this:

A man was looking at me with a strange, bug-eyed stare. His eyes were huge… so huge they looked ready to pop out of his sockets and roll across the cobblestones. He nodded eagerly as I approached, bobbing his head like a bird… and as I neared him, I suddenly noticed the smell of urine and feces surrounded him. The man sniffled, wiping his nose on his sleeve, then opened his mouth to reveal blackened, rotted gums.

“Stories-for-coin, sirrah?” His breath reeked; it smelled like this man had been keeping rotten meat stored inside his mouth. “Stories-for-coin?”

Hari Seldon

yeah, this is not a good kickstarter page, there is really nothing. and the game is estiamted for April 2014! so I think they really have nothing at the moment. 1.1$ for nearly 2 years seems low, no?

I'm just guessing here, but I think these low kickstarter numbers for a game that is obviously going to take more money than 1.1m is to get some publisher interested when they can say, "Look we already have X# preorders and we only need 50% funding" or something.

SkyandSun

Banned
I'd like a Mac version, as I don't have a PC - still backed, though.

Also, fantasy is cool, but it doesn't immediately strike me as a cool setting in the way PS:T does. The stuff about magic being connected to someone's soul is interesting - but I'm hoping the world is a bit more unique than the standard fantasy magic stuff...

Started with the $20 level. Though I'm not into most high fantasy RPGs, I gotta support these guys just on the basis of having a game that they fully own and want to make, but also that they decided everything about how it ends up. Will be tempted to upgrade depending on their info updates.

ill contribute, just need to figure out how much. i am generally a fan of boxed copies, so probably 65 at least.

I hope this has voice acting too but not expecting it :\ IE games had pretty good VA.

as a few people have said, i would only really hope for partial VA. if a game had as much text as torment but was all VA it would probably cost a billion dollars. more likely there was just be less text, which is bad.

i have backed 9 projects:

2 unsuccessful
1 in my hands (diamond trust of london)
6 outstanding (4 games, 2 movies)

one of those movies is by my cousin, so i am pretty sure he will follow through.

wrowa

I'm just guessing here, but I think these low kickstarter numbers for a game that is obviously going to take more money than 1.1m is to get some publisher interested when they can say, "Look we already have X# preorders and we only need 50% funding" or something.

No, that's definitely not the case. Obsidian is probably the last developer on earth who would voluntarily work together with a publisher. The whole point why they talked about a kickstarter for the last 6 months was in order to make a game without a publisher interferring.

Xater

I'd like a Mac version, as I don't have a PC - still backed, though.

Also, fantasy is cool, but it doesn't immediately strike me as a cool setting in the way PS:T does. The stuff about magic being connected to someone's soul is interesting - but I'm hoping the world is a bit more unique than the standard fantasy magic stuff...

Same here. I asked them about it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Put in my $35. I really hope this succeeds. I want this to be a big middle finger to publishers like Bethesda, EA, & Square-Enix. I'd much rather see developers creating the games they feel passionate about, rather than just targeting whatever specific market segment their publisher is aiming for.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
And backed. No hesitation.

Also, GOG has the best RPG's ever on sale this weekend.

Edit - calling it now: they're going to hit at least 3 million

Top Bottom