• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire |OT| No Rest For The Wizard

e0n

pillars-of-eternity-ii9uix.jpg

Release Date: May 8, 2018
Platform: Windows (7, 8, 10), macOS (10.9+), Linux (Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04), PlayStation 4 (Q4 2018), Xbox One (Q4 2018), Nintendo Switch (Q4 2018)
Genre: Role-Playing
Mode: Single-player
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Versus Evil
Price:
Standard $49.99, £32.99, 45,99€
Deluxe $59.99, £46.49, 54,99€
Obsidian $74.99, £57.99, 69,99€
Official Website
deluxexnu3w.png

obsidiancesud.png
physicaleditionq9sjh.jpg

Information
Eothas, a god once thought dead, has emerged beneath your stronghold Caed Nua, destroying the keep and nearly killing you in his wake.
You are the Watcher, an individual capable of perceiving and affecting souls, who must travel to the Deadfire Archipelago to chase down Eothas.
Explore the Deadfire on your ship, recruit companions, and seek answers among mortals and gods.

- Import a game save from the first Pillars of Eternity or make starting choices in order to define your backstory
- Assemble a team of five composed of companions, sidekicks, or custom party members
- A multiclass system which allows you to select powers from two classes out of the total eleven classes
- Every class can be altered with a subclass that offers different bonuses and penalties
- Customizable AI behavior routines
- Companion and faction relationships
- Fully voiced dialogue
- Hire and manage a crew for your own upgradeable ship

Screenshots
image1trqfr.jpg
image2pnqvc.jpg

image3pwojm.jpg
image4b8r55.jpg

Videos
30 Second Trailer
Features Trailer
Launch Trailer

Reviews
Metacritic
OpenCritic

MMORPG - 10
If you’re looking for the next, and perhaps greatest, grand cRPG; if you’re aching for an epic single player adventure; if you’re seeking a setting outside the norm; if you’re hoping for a story that takes you in and hangs on, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire fills the bill.

PCGamesN - 9
The mechanics underpinning everything in Pillars II have shifted marginally towards accessibility, but that still leaves a huge amount of room for brutal challenge levels to its combat - and, crucially, it’s scalable enough that you can whack down the challenge, ignore your party composition, leave the pause key unpressed, and enjoy the adventure. That’s what this is, in a very real sense: an adventure.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is a worthy successor to the original. It demands time from the player to fully understand the in-depth character growth and creation system, though doing so results in a rewarding gaming experience.

PCGamer - 88
Pillars of Eternity II is another fine RPG from Obsidian, brilliantly showcasing the studio's knack for strong world-building, intelligent, expressive writing, and varied quest design.

GameSpot - 8
The richness of Deadfire takes a while to appreciate, and like the brined sailors that call it come, you'll be left with an indelible attachment to these islands when you do finally step away.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Really looking forward to this. Everything I've seen so far looks great! I need to finish the first so I can take advantage of the save import!

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
So, would someone who never finished the first game be totally lost if they just started this one?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Haven't been following this game, never made it through the original, but fucking boats?!?!? I'm sold.

e0n

So, would someone who never finished the first game be totally lost if they just started this one?
It's a continuation but places you as a starting character in a new area with a different goal. If you don't have an endgame save, you either pick a preset history or decide on all the choices you would have made in the first game. There's in-game tooltips as well.

Hopefully this turns out to be the BG2 of PoE and I'll be satisfied. Another successful Kickstarter Fig.

I'm really looking forward to the Xbox 1 (X) release. Hopefully by that time it includes 4k and HDR. At least 4k should be doable, haven't seen an isometric game use HDR yet to my knowledge. That way I can do a full controller playthrough from 1-2. Kinda lame they don't include that on the PC version, but w/e. I understand it's outsourced/etc.

Last edited:

e0n

Reviews just got released. Complaints seemed to be about the main quest line, the lack of depth while sailing, and verbose writing.

I guess the writing being mediocre was to be expected since Avellone gave us that glimpse into Obsidian's inner workings.

Last edited:
I like the gameplay in 2 a lot more than the first so far. It definitely feels like an IWD2 so far which is a good thing.

It obviously looks a lot better as well than the original, playing in 4k on top of that.

The class combinations are ridiculous/crazy in a good way and remind me of BG2 with the kits and the different types of characters you can come up with, so I think they nailed that.

My main party is a fully player created party (5 max):
Main: Swashbuckler - Rogue (assassin subclass)/Fighter (Devotee subclass, to Stiletto)
2nd: Full Cipher (Ascendant subclass)
3rd: Wyldryhmer - Chanter (Beckoner subclass) / Ranger (stalker subclass) going a beastmaster/summoner hybrid on this guy. The skeleton summon song is powerful, and Beckoner makes it quite nice.
4th: full Druid (shifter)
5th: Brawler - [Boreal Dwarf] Monk (Nalpazca subclass)/Fighter (no subclass)

The Wyldryhmer has been quite the surprise. It looked good on paper and has delivered so far.

First premium DLC, Beast of Winter, has been released. Along with Update 2.0 and the free DLC Deck of Many Things:

Update 2.0 is now live along with the Beast of Winter and Deck of Many Things DLC!
AUGUST 2 - OEI_AARIK
Hello everyone!

Welcome to Update 2.0.0! This update Features the launches of both the Beast of Winter and Deck of Many Things DLCs. As well as many fixes and some balance changes. Below is a list of many of the fixes and changes that the community has mentioned.

Build 2.0.0 Update Notes
New Features & Updates

• Beast of Winter
    • The first paid DLC that has the Watcher travel to Harbinger's Watch to investigate an ever expanding iceberg in the Deadfire Archipelago.
  • Deck of Many Things
    • The fifth free DLC that includes a Junk that sails around the Deadfire selling magical items and goods.
  • Magran's Fires - New challenges and old favorites have been added for players that want a difficult experience with a twist. These challenges can only be done on Path of the Damned difficulty and can be found by clicking the head of Magran at the bottom of the Title Menu.
    • Triple Crown
      • Expert Mode
      • Trial of Iron
    • Solo
      • Cannot recruit companions, sidekicks, or adventurers
    • Berath's Challenge
      • Any party member Knocked Out for 6 seconds is Killed
      • Cannot flee from combat
    • Magran's Challenge
      • The game cannot be paused
      • The game time cannot be slowed
  • Essence Interrupter - A new Hunting Bow created by you, the community, that has been infused with animancer technology to provide interesting effects to attacks. You can find this for sale in Henric's shop in Port Maje.
Major Issues
  • Fixed an issue where users would crash upon getting into combat with Cave Grubs.
  • Fixed an issue where users would crash upon getting into combat with the Giant Cave Grub.
  • Fixed an issue where users would crash after leaving the pre-Ukaizo god Scripted Interaction.
  • Fixed an issue where some players could not turn in A Shrewd Proposition if Aeldys relocates to Dunnage.
  • Fixed an issue where solo Rogues could instantly win ship boarding combat by using Smoke Veil.
  • Fixed various issues where interactables would only highlight from certain angles or positions.
  • Fixed an issue where some users would crash after declining to help Berath during the Prologue.
  • Fixed an issue where a save file would be deleted if the player created a save, didn't move, then saved on the same file.
  • Fixed an issue where leveling a companion could turn the player character into a duplicate of the companion.
  • Updated many French, Italian, German, & Spanish strings UI strings that were still referencing Pillars I mechanics (such as Endurance instead of Health).
Companions/Crew
  • Fixed an issue where Pallegina's Exalted Focus buff would stay on the party after she was removed from the party.
  • Fixed an issue where the Crookspur Archer SI was only using Xoti's reaction even if she wasn't in the party.
  • Fixed an issue where Monk Xoti was dealing less base damage than what was intended.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would still see Baltia in Motare o Kozi as well as on their ship after recruitment.
  • Fixed an issue where Mirke would come back to life if the player had killed her and later spoke to Aeldys.
  • Fixed an issue where Aloth could gain infinite negative reputation with Serafen.
  • Fixed an issue where the Watcher could gain infinite reputation(positive and negative) with Maia in a conversation with Fleet Master Okaya.
  • Fixed an issue where Eder would still have dialogue on Vilario's Rest even if he was dead.
  • Fixed an issue where players could ask Rekke about Eder even if Eder had not been recruited.
  • A "Serafen wants to talk" option now appears after completing A Sorcerer and a Gentleman.
User Interface
  • Fixed an issue where the skill assist tooltip progress bar was populating incorrectly on its first activation.
  • Fixed an issue where Berath's Wrath would display incorrectly on character status windows.
  • Fixed an issue where negative effects would permanently display a negative effect timer.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would get a blank Enemy Defeated window after winning a ship battle.
  • Fixed an issue where the Crafting UI would show players being able to craft more food than they have materials available.
  • Fixed an issue where modals would not display active or inactive properly when one was on cooldown and another was clicked.
  • Fixed an issue where skill indicators in Scripted Interactions would display when playing on Expert Mode.
  • Fixed an issue where players could have more than the max value of ship supplies by looting the items and putting them in personal inventory.
  • Fixed an issue where players could enchant items belonging to vendors while they were in the trade section of the store UI.
  • Ship injury count label refreshes when a character recovers and on load.

Also, the console version is on Amazon but has the placeholder date of 12/31/2018, so I'm taking it's not releasing in August like previously mentioned earlier in the year. So it'll likely come out early next year after the 3rd expansion, Forgotten Sanctum, releases in December on PC, as a complete edition. (like the first one did on PS4/XB1)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QF1PYZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Doesn't have any Xbox X Enhanced details (yet?). Hopefully it'll have 4k.

Edit: Also, for the Switch owners:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QGSDRH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I need to complete Torment: ToN, Wasteland 2 (replay), and the first PoE before I get to this, but it looks like a ton of fun. Glad this subgenre of RPGs is getting a revival, albeit a small one.

I played all their predecessors on PC growing up, but I'm happy with a console release, if for no other reason than I can own them physically.

My actual reasoning is slightly different. I played all of the infinity engine games on PC back in the day, but my hands can't really do the keyboard/mouse thing anymore for gaming, especially the dungeon crawler clickers like Diablo 3/Grim Dawn (use a controller on those). So I'm grateful they've come to consoles since controllers are much easier on my hands these days. I use an XB1 controller on PC where I can, steam controller otherwise and mouse/keyboard on the few games I really want to play that don't really/fully support the aforementioned options.

I've bought several of these rpgs mentioned above on PC and console. Mostly because I support the effort on PC and want them to come to consoles for the controller support. Edit: Full controller support that is.

Last edited:
Update 3.0 and the Seeker, Slayer, & Survivor DLC is now available. (Just one final DLC to go from the Season Pass, then the console release will follow shortly after)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/560130/announcements/detail/1694933128101258458

Patch Notes for 3.0.0 are listed below!

New Features & Updates
  • Seeker, Slayer, Survivor
    • The second DLC has the Watcher journey to the island to Kazuwari in search for some answers to a mysterious package...
  • New Berath's Blessings - New and exciting blessing come in to add some interesting replayability to the Deadfire:
    • Loaded Pockets - NPC pockets are filled with more and rarer items.
    • Legendary Crew - 3 Veteran Sailors become available in the Kraken's Eye tavern, they are better than normal and cheaper than normal.
    • Discount Craftsman - Crafting and enchanting costs are reduced.
    • Mythical Discovery - Start with a Mythical Adra Stone in the prologue armoire (free upgrade from Legendary → Mythic Quality)
  • New Ranger Abilities - Five new Ranger abilities have been added to the Ranger's arsenal of skills:
    • Hunter's Claw - 2 Bond Full Attack, The first target hit with this grants +1 Accuracy vs the target's Race until Rest. Subsequent hits against the same race will increase stacks (up to +20). Resting clears all stacks and allows a different race to be chosen.
    • Hunter's Fang - Same as Hunter's Claw, but also grants +1% Damage per stack.
    • Beast's Claw - Same as Hunter's Claw, but also grants +1 Defense per stack.
    • Bonded Fury - 3 Bond, Grants the Ranger's Animal Companion all 6 Tier 2 Inspirations, for 30s.
    • Heart Seeker - 4 Bond, Primary Attack (Ranged Only) Fires an unerring ranged attack that strikes all characters in a line, dealing +100% Damage with +4 Penetration and Enfeebling for 20s.
  • Megaboss Battles - Megabosses make their debut with the first to make their way into the game with the first boss included in the patch; The Crystal Empress! Test your mettle against one the toughest fights within the game.
  • Kill Camera - A new feature has been added to allow for some excitement to combat! Kill Cam will exemplify combat with key events! This feature will include options to customize how it works and can be found in the new Camera Tab of the Options Menu.
  • Eothas and Galawain's Challenge - Two New exciting Challenges will be coming in with this patch from Eothas and Galawain:
    • Eothas- The player must complete crit-path quests within a set game time or be met with a Game Over.
    • Galawain - Beasts now contain random buffs that are defined at the start of the game, for the duration of the game! Can you survive these dangerous new changes?
      • Vampiric - Heal from damage dealt
      • Reflecting - Reflect damage back as Raw
      • Unstoppable - Cannot be interrupted / Immune to Afflictions
      • Exalted - Gain Permanent T3 Inspiration (random)
      • Vengeful - Gain stacking Power Level when a friendly is killed
      • Accelerated - Attacks much faster
      • Bullish - Attacks interrupt and knock back
      • Hardened - Additional AR and Max HP
      • Prowling - Invisible (until attacks) and re-stealths if scoring a kill
      • Volatile - Explodes when defeated
  • New Community Pet - You all voted and the tallies are in! Nebula the Astral Bat is now available in game!
  • Recently Used Spells - Frequently used spells are now remembered and displayed in the UI, so searching through your high list of spells should be a little easier to manage.
Resolved Major Issues
  • Characters no longer get stuck in an endless animation loop when using certain abilities with Two-handed weapons.
  • AI Options for Ghost Animal Companions now work as expected.
  • Many older saves that were not working previously due to conversation bundles now load as expected.
  • Various frame-rate fixes for players that experience drops during extended play.
  • The Enchanting Menu does not display when the Crafting Menu is opened.
User Interface
  • Mod Manager displays correctly in the Options Menu.
  • The Producer's Sword shows up correctly for Mac Users.
  • Alcoholic Beverages no longer display missing strings.
  • Consumed resources for ships are displayed correctly.
  • Galawain timers fixed to the correct time in early sections of the game.
  • Adventurers in towns now show the correct data.
  • The conversation window is no longer obscured if opened with the ESC button during a dialog.
  • All interface layouts now display the UI notifications correctly.
  • TEMP text no longer displays for Magran's Challenge.
  • Menus no longer overlap in Ship Combat.
Quests
  • Director Castol has had his conversation fixed for typos.
Systems Updates
  • Full Attacks with recovery-based weapons and a firearm in offhand no longer have a 0 recovery time
  • Rods now deal the correct type of damage when attacking with them.
  • Attacking destructibles from stealth now properly removes stealth from the attacker.
  • Auto-Attack As Default Action toggle has been implemented to AI Behavior.
  • The Crookspur Vessel will no longer continuously attempt to engage retreating ships.
  • Druid Shift forms no longer crash the game when inventory items are moved.
Art & Visual Updates
  • Portraits display correct images when playing the game in Linux.
  • All Pets use the correct model that is expected.
  • Spiritual Weapon VFX now properly aligns with the model.
  • Orlans ears display correctly when wearing the Acorn Helm.
Miscellaneous
  • Data is no longer carried over from previous DLC playthroughs.
  • Performance no longer drops when viewing Spiritshift model forms in the Inventory Screen.
  • Crew member models no longer spawn at the same point simultaneously.
  • Ikiuq Crew member now displays his correct model in game.
  • Loading a save after a character dies in combat no longer results in an infinite load screen for Mac users.
  • The default text box displays in the selected language at launch.
  • Combat Log displays in the language selected when changed in game.

The Forgotten Sanctum DLC is now available as well as Patch 4.0 which includes 11 new subclasses. Likewise since this concludes the DLC, the console release has to be on the horizon now (and inevitable Game Pass release now that Microsoft owns Obsidian).

Patch Notes for 4.0.0

New Features

Ship Respawning - Ships will now respawn as captains are defeated on the world map to keep the seas interesting to traverse. Ships will not respawn for every captain defeated, but the seas will continue to be populated with ships of each faction.

• Ondra, Wael, & Woedica's Challenge - Three new exciting Challenges will be coming in with this patch:
  • Ondra - Storms on the world map are bigger, faster, and more frequent and Enemy Captains and crew about the ship are increased in rank and travel faster when chasing the player.
  • Wael - All numerical data for characters, spells, and items and more are hidden! This excludes Item Counts and Party Member Attributes, Skills, and Levels.
  • Woedica - All Per-Encounter and Class resources become Per-Rest, Party Health no longer regenerates outside of combat, and only "Prepared Meals" will recover injuries and Resources.
New Megabosses - Two new Megabosses can now be challenged in the game:

• Sigilmaster Auranic:
    • Briny Grotto
  • Dorudugan
    • Corroded Wasteland
New Subclasses - 11 new subclasses are being added to the game to add variety and allow for more interesting combinations!

• Tactician (Fighter)
    • Those who can rally their wit in the heat of battle are known as "Tacticians." These warriors see all forms of combat as only pieces moving in play. Frequently assuming leadership positions within a structured military, Tacticians weaponize cleverness and sharpen experience.
    • Bonus
Restore Discipline when successfully Interrupting an enemy action.

Gain Brilliant Tactician.

Penalty

Penetration and Accuracy is reduced when attacking a target that is not being attacked by an ally.

Gain Tactical Dilemma

• Furyshaper (Barbarian)
    • Furyshapers carry a burden of trauma in their past lives, suffering when those emotions inexplicably bleed into their current psyche. These rare individuals can manifest their emotions in a physical form, inflicting their rage, terror, or madness onto the world.
    • Bonus
Gain Shape Ward: Frenzy at Power Level 1.

Gain Shape Ward: Fear at Power Level 4.

Gain Shape Ward: Blood at Power Level 8.

Gain bonus Accuracy against spirits.

Penalty

If a Ward is destroyed, take immediate Raw Damage and a Power Level penalty until combat ends.

Will is reduced.

• Debonaire (Rogue)
    • As charming as they are devious, these rogues use cleverness and diplomacy to achieve their goals. Often acting only in self-interest, they have been known to contract high-society thefts, unveil scandals, or even perform the occasional white-glove assassination.
    • Bonus
Gain significant Hit to Crit against Charmed targets.

Gain Roguish Charm ability.

Gain Hit to Graze against attacks when not affected by any afflictions.

Penalty

Cannot Engage.

Gain Cowardice ability.

• Steel Garrote (Paladin)
    • The Steel Garrote is a feared paladin order dedicated to Woedica. They work with powerful individuals and business interest to hunt down those who violate contracts, especially if said contracts were endorsed by a priestess of the Exiled Queen. They were founded in the Aedyr Empire and are active throughout the region - branching out as far as the Dyrwood and the Vailian Republics.
    • Bonus
Heal for a portion of the damage dealt to afflicted targets.

Gain Garrote ability.

• Arcane Archer (Ranger)
    • A rare few find themselves gifted in both physical ability and the more cerebral, arcane talents. Arcane Archers are among those few, and apply their innate aptitude with magic by temporarily infusing spells into their projectiles. More commonly seen among traveling performers or during archery contests, these skilled individuals are both admired and reviled for their abilities.
    • Bonus
Imbue spell effects gain increased Accuracy from Arcana skill.

Gain Imbue: Missiles at Power Level 1.

Gain Imbue: Web at Power Level 3.

Gain Imbue: Fireball at Power Level 5.

Gain Imbue: Eora at Power Level 7.

Gain Imbue: Death at Power Level 9.

Penalty

Receive a penalty to Accuracy with attacks not of the following traits: Imbue, Elements, Fire, Frost, Acid, Electricity, and Spell.

Max health is reduced.

• Forbidden Fist (Monk)
    • Followers of cryptic teachings rooted in a dark past, these monks are among the few granted - or cursed - with knowledge of forbidden techniques. Their martial prowess was said to corrupt the very soul of the wielder. Believing that great and terrible events justify their use, these monks travel Eora weighing the balance between the purity of their soul and the necessity of conflict.
    • Bonus
Gain Wounds and Health when Hostile effects expire.

Gain Forbidden Fist ability.

Penalty

No longer gain Wounds from damage received.

• Bellower (Chanter)
    • Bellowers are often found in communities steeped in hardship, particularly among those that have experienced recent misfortune. Their tales better resemble a collections of ramblings and gibberish than coherent stories. Their name stems from the rare, violent, empassioned outbursts of fearsome magic.
    • Bonus
Invocations grant (and benefit from) a brief bonus to Power Level based on the number of held Phrases.

Penalty

Invocations consume all remaining Phrases.

Chant radius is reduced.

• Priest of Woedica (Priest)
    • Priests and Priestesses of the Exiled Queen express their faith as lawyers and judges in towns and urban centers. The most prominent among them have served as advisers in royal court. They are of particular importance in the Empire of Aedyr, where business contracts require their endorsement. Woedica's devotees are typically found in the upper classes, but any tradition-minded person who longs for a vanished past will find a place in her faith. "When Woedica takes back her throne" is a common saying amongst her followers, signifying a utopian future when society will be properly ordered once again, and she will take her rightful place as ruler of the gods.
    • Bonus
Automatically learn the following priest spells at new power levels:

1. Writ of Engagement

2. Spiritual Weapon

3. Writ of Consumption

4. Divine Terror

5. Writ of War

6. Pillar of Holy Fire

7. Writ of Sorcery

8. Hand of Weal and Woe

9. Writ of Mending

• Ancient (Druid)
    • Not all Ancients are venerable in form, but many have walked Eora for hundreds of years. Primal in nature, these zealots of Galawain tend to keep to themselves in forests and extreme environments, warding off would-be travelers and conjuring untamed magics.
    • Bonus
Gain bonus Power Level with Beast and Plant spells.

Automatically learn the following druid spells at new power levels:

1. Summon Sporelings

2. Hold Beasts

3. Wild Growth

4. Form of the Delemgan

5. Wall of Thorns

6. Venombloom

7. Call to the Primordials

8. Fire Stag

9. Aspect of Galawain

Penalty

Reduced defense against Veil-Piercing attacks.

Increased damage received from vessels.

• Blood Mage (Wizard)
    • Devoted to the belief that blood fuels the power of the soul, Blood Mages walk a painful and self-destructive path to arcane mastery. Though reputable animancers have discredited their beliefs, those few that have witnessed blood magic cannot deny that gratuitous self-harm can indeed preface unbelievable - often terrible - magical events.
    • Bonus
Gain Blood Sacrifice ability.

Gain passive health regeneration.

Penalty

Unable to use Empower.

All defenses against bloodied attackers are reduced.

• Psion (Cipher)
  • Psions are quite rare, often beginning as prodigal young minds that slowly unlock secrets deemed incomprehensible to even the wisest scholars. Their powers require intense meditation, but can allow them to manipulate the conscious mind or move objects with incredible force.
  • Bonus
Gain Soul Mind passive ability.

Gain Telekinetic Burst ability.

Penalty

Loses Soul Whip ability.

Receiving damage disables Soul Mind briefly.

Major Fixes & Updates

• Savegames with subdirectories in the zip no longer fail to load.
• If Beast of Winter is installed, you may now converse with Ydwin as you would a main companion.
• Summoned creatures now unsummon when their summoner is knocked out.
• The game will no longer return to the main menu after loading a save in particular scenes and exiting and re-entering that scene.
• Veteran Difficulty has been tuned to be slightly more difficult.

• Enemies now have +12% health, +8 accuracy, +1 penetration, +8 all defenses and +1 armor rating on Veteran difficulty.
Challenges

• God Challenges no longer disable mods or Berath's Blessings.
• New games will no longer have Challenges enabled if the player loaded a Challenge save before starting the new game.
• Berath's Challenge timer is no longer modified by hostile/beneficial duration multipliers.
• Berath's Challenge now delays 10 seconds until unconscious party members are killed (from 6 seconds).
• Slightly increased Vela's base defenses and the health she gains per level during Hylea's Challenge.
• Users can now use Slow-Mode while playing under the Magran's Challenge.

Quests

Spoiler

Text & VO

• More than 100 typos have been fixed.
• There are no longer errors in the conversation with Engari when Pallegina and Xoti are in the active party.
• Speaking to generic NPCs in the Sacred Stair no longer displays Missing String messages.
• Xoti's VO is no longer cut while talking with a lost soul.
• Dunnage Townsperson no longer produces two barks simultaneously.

Spoiler

Abilities

General

• Visage of Death's Herald (and its variants) can no longer be cast on self.
  • Hunter's Instincts has a proper stat block.
  • Boreal Dwarves' Hunter's Instinct effect now matches its description and grants a bonus vs Primordials and Wilders (not beasts).
  • Writ of War no longer turns off spell abilities.
Rogue

• Pernicious Cloud Base Penetration from 0 -> 7.
  • Debonair can no longer select Persistent Distraction.
  • Roguish Charm no longer applies inspirations if its Charm is resisted.
  • Enduring Shadows or Flurry of Blades no longer allow the player to get both Shadow Step and Shadowing Beyond.
Fighter

• Tactician only recovers resources when interrupting an ability being cast, not on all interrupts.
Paladin

• Garrote can no longer be used on Destructibles.
  • Garrote now ends when combat ends or the target is killed.
  • Garrote's base duration reduced from 8.0 sec to 6.0 sec.
  • Garrote can no longer be used on self.
  • Steel Garrote passive healing effect now only applies to weapon attacks.
Barbarian

• Furyshaper wards now properly increase in level based on the Barbarian's level.
Ranger

• Animal Companion Armor is now of the category "Light" (from Medium) - this only affects validation such as from "Charged Field".
  • Evasive Fire will no longer target destructibles.
  • Ranger's Strengthened Bond no longer becomes impossible to acquire in some situations.
  • Bonded Fury and Shadowed Hunters will now provide feedback that they are unavailable if the Ranger Animal Companion is unconscious.
  • Imbue Missiles scaling now provides additional projectiles in addition to default scaling.
  • Arcane Archer will no longer spam spells when using an AOE weapon.
Cipher

• Psion focus generation increases every odd power level.
Chanter

• Their Putrid Stench Wafts Across now uses the same targeting style as its base ability "White Wurms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead".
  • His Laughter Rang Through The Halls now pushes from the caster position rather than the target.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the base Cone effect from "Her Revenge Swept Across the Land" to bounce, not just the additional bolts.
  • Bellower power level bonus per phrase increased from 0.5 -> 1.
Priest

• Restore is no longer restricted to combat.
  • Eothas Incarnate summons now have weapons that use the same material as the models.
Monk

• Slog zones and other infinite hostile effects no longer trigger Forbidden Fist to gain wounds.
Druid

• Fire Stag's Self-Destruct ability is no longer named "Fire Stag".
  • Call to the Primordials now more clearly displays the number of summons.
Wizard

• Wall of Draining will now properly increase the duration of effects on the caster.
  • Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon will now correctly heal the caster for each affected enemy.
  • Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon will no longer cause characters to take damage extremely quickly after the caster unequips the grimoire it's in.
Items

• Thundercrack Pistol, Dragon's Dowry, and Frostseeker now have keywords for their respective elements on their attacks.
  • Thundercrack Pistol's Conductive Blast & Storm Rune Shot attacks now have the Electricity keyword.
  • Added minor delays to Essence Interrupter's effects to prevent it from invalidating on death mechanics.
  • Cleansing Flame and Chain Lightning Scrolls now use the "read scroll" animation.
  • Deltro's Cage (Shock Shield) is no longer a passive ability and it is now active.
  • Magran's Shield has the "Shield Engagement" mod now.
  • Scordeo's Edge Accuracy bonus can no longer be stacked higher than the number of times listed on its effect.
  • Multiple instances of the same item mod effect from The Red Hand should no longer infrequently appear as separate effects.
  • Description of Solitude effect has been updated to be more clear.
Spoilers

• Spoiler

Sound Effects

• Belranga's Consume ability has proper SFX.
• SFX have been added for the water pillar during Battle Royale.
• Rotghasts now have proper SFX when Combat Speed is set to low.
• Sheathing and unsheathing weapons triggers SFX.
• SFX have been added to the lightning strike during the play in A Tidy Performance.
• Defensive Roll trigger has SFX.

Visual Effects

• Soul vision VFX are not prematurely removed during conversation with Spirit Engari.
• Aexica has proper VFX when appearing to assist Whehami.
• Glowing eyes effect of the statue of Toamowhai properly fade out.

Misc

• Accuracy indicator on mouse-over now represents the chance to at least Graze, instead of at least Hit.
• Vatnir has casting voice and hit reactions.
• Hostile NPC Encounters in the Old City will not pull together when they shouldn't.
• Hostile NPC Encounters in the Engwithan Digsite will not pull together when they shouldn't.
• Examining a Soulbound item's detail page will no longer show that item's artwork in future item detail pages the player examines.
• A loading exception when clearing child effects from racial abilities, which prevented some saves from loading correctly, has been fixed.
• Food items are now classified as either ingredients or prepared meals.
• Daily Wages are no longer deducted multiple times when loading a game.
• When the player sells enchanted items that stack with ones the store already has, they will now receive the proper amount of money.
• Port stores no longer contain multiple infinite stacks of basic supplies.
• Watershaper's Robe character model no longer displays prominent neck seams.
• The ability bar has received some optimizations.
• Fixed an issue that would cause Strengthened Bond to become unavailable during level up.
• Characters that are engaged or engaging two or more enemies cannot be bumped by allies.
• Soulbound items can't have quality enchantments added manually, even when they're damaged in Abydon's challenge.
• The subclass abilities column in the Ability Tree will no longer permanently disappear after viewing a tree that didn't use it.
• New ship items can now be removed from the shopping cart in the Store UI.
• Updated bestiary sorting keyword on Body Affliction Resistance so it will now sort correctly.
• Eating Spoiled Food now lowers the crew's morale.
• Attacks that teleport the attacker to the target now properly receive accuracy from the attacker's Class.
• The player can now click to move closer to the edge of the revealed fog of war.
• DLC Deck of Many Things and Beast of Winter NPC's are no longer displaying empty stores or empty conversations with the player.
• Uncharted Island naming can no longer be closed by accident.
• If the player canceled the dialog for naming an uncharted island before this patch, they may access it again by entering and exiting the associated dungeon.
• Players can no longer duplicate morale rewards from ship combat using quicksaves.
• The 'Follow Camera' option works correctly on the World Map.
• Initial cutscene is not repeated after performing a save/load cycle during Battle Royale.
• Special Armor Ratings are now correctly displayed in the Bestiary.
• The door in the Eastern Cavern of Rimebound Temple now blends correctly with its surroundings.
• The combat with the bears in the Eastern Cavern of the Rimebound Temple will not start without Line of Sight.
• Conditionals for player responses in conversation with Beast of Winter have been updated.
• Portals in the Sunken Crown are now marked on the area map.
• King Wingauro's headdress no longer clips with the wall behind him.
• Responses in the dialogue with Menzzago now grant appropriate disposition points.
• Glossary links for the word "Nilkzenze" are now appearing correctly.
• Skill checks in the Kohatekana Expanse function correctly.
• The Inspect (question mark) button now works in the Grimoire UI.
• The game will show a useful error message when trying to upload a mod or exported character to the Steam Cloud if the user is out of space.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Interesting names.

This is the kind of game that needs a 500 page Prima guide. RIP Prima.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I am really looking forward to this on Console. I have so many hours into POE on both Xbox and PS4 it is by far one of, if not my favorite game. They have supported the first and now second game well with follow up content. I also would love a collector's edition Guide for this outlining all the equipment and spells and stats, but that sadly is not going to happen.

Last edited:

amigastar

Currently playing it. What stands out the most at first glance are the improved graphics. Game itself is also great.

Top Bottom