• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings

just wondering what the general consesus of the first Pilotwings is.

personally, this is my favorite flight simulator. the game has great style, super fantastic music. infact, i'll say it twice cause it's so good, super fantastic music. great controls, design, and just, well, really great everything.

i feel the game doesn't really get mentioned much, which is a shame cause it holds up against the best of the best on the system. easily one of the best games to come out of Nintendo. much better then the N64 one if you ask me. makes sense though, IRD is a much better developer than Paradigm.

i'd love to see a GBA port, but that doesn't seem likely. who knows, maybe when the Factor 5 developed GameCube one comes out. that is if Factor 5 is still developing it.

First one was fun, if a little too simplistic after going back to it after all these years. Sky Odyssey is still my favorite console flight game.

i'd also love to see the series hit the DS more than anything. although seeing it on Revolution would be pretty nuts. although flight controls on the touch screen might be pretty cool. could work out similar to the submarine tech demo at E3.

Docpan

The SNES game sucked.

Pilotwings 64 KICKED ASS! Little States was so much fun. I hope they make a third game someday.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Never played the original, sadly, but I did have great fun with Pilotwings 64. That was a great game to pop in when you didn't feel like playing videogames (of course, it had a very competent main game, too). I loved just flying around with Birdman and taking pictures.

A Pilotwings on the Revolution with photo-realistic landscapes would rule.

BeOnEdge

Banned
the snes game owns. the music is by far some of the best nintendo stuff ever. the hang glider theme is pure bliss.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The original with "ground-breaking Mode-7 technology!" deserves its classic status. It was the perfect launch title.

Pilotwings 64 did a fantastic job evolving the series. The crazy added mini-games and ground portion were terrific.

If a Pilotwings doesn't launch with Revolution, I'll be less likely to pick up the console on launch date.

GigaDrive

Banned
I loved both Pilotwings. they were the reasons I bought an SNES and a Nintendo 64 in the first place. if not for the two Pilotwings games, I might have never had an SNES or a N64.

most people don't know that Pilotwings was the first thing ever shown for the Super Famicom in mid 1989. back then it was called Dragonfly. this flight demo showed off the SFC's rotation, stretching and zooming abilities, later known as 'Mode 7'.

Dragonfly would eventually become known as 'Flight Club' and then finally, Pilotwings.

in 1995, Pilotwings 64 was shown for the Ultra 64. it looked amazing, the way GameFan discribed it. Almost like a highend flight simulator running on an SGI workstation. I loved this one too, even though it was very different from the original 16-Bit game. I bought a Japanese N64 with M64 and PW64 for like $640 in August 1996... I could have waited another 6 weeks for the U.S. release and saved over $300 but i couldnt wait!

Keio

For a Finer World
For me, Pilot Wings 64 is the most relaxing game ever. Flying the "birdman" around levels, just chilling out and exploring them. I spent hours and hours doing that when stressed out or just tired from work/studies. And it was perfect while intoxicated.

The only thing that comes even close is Monkey Jump in Super Monkey Ball.

If Pilotwings comes to "Revolution", it's a must have.

GigaDrive

Banned
thats one of the main reasons I loved PilotWings 64 so much, because it was such a relaxing experience.

can't wait to see what Factor 5 is doing for Pilotwings Revolution!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GigaDrive said:
thats one of the main reasons I loved PilotWings 64 so much, because it was such a relaxing experience.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
GigaDrive said:

Has it been absolutely confirmed that they are still working on the game for the Revolution? I remember IGN reported it, and I heard some things independently as well, but I haven't heard anything for a while.

I really hope they still are. IMO, they are a great developer to handle the series (with Nintendo's input, of course).

Keio

For a Finer World
I really hope they still are. IMO, they are a great developer to handle the series (with Nintendo's input, of course).

I think F5's techical brilliance plus their pretty good flying system are a good combination for the job.

As long as they don't try to put the gamer on foot...

A next gen Pilot Wings has to be a tech masterpiece. The relaxing style of play would be a huge draw for a wide audience, should the game present the best next gen environments at launch.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Keio said:
A next gen Pilot Wings has to be a tech masterpiece. The relaxing style of play would be a huge draw for a wide audience, should the game present the best next gen environments at launch.
Yeah, definitely. If nothing else, it's got to carry the legacy of the previous two games, which are known for their flashy demonstration of the graphics capabilities of Nintendo's latest hardware.

Top Bottom