• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinterest bans weight-loss ads

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

"A 2020 study found that subjects with eating disorders in the U.S. were concerned over "exposure to toxic social media" related to COVID-19-related weight gain. Searches for phrases such as "body neutrality" and "stop body shaming quotes" are up more than five times since a year ago, Pinterest said."

Jesus Christmas. I don't even know where to begin. Morbid Obesity is in folks. Stop trying to be healthy.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If it was ads for miracle pills and other snake oil, I’d say fine. But to ban anything else is a joke. Encouraging weight loss is not the toxic part of social media.

I am growing to despise the word “toxic”. Possibly the most overused term on the internet right now.

dr_octagon

Banned
Homer Simpson Eating GIF

Blond

Banned
If it was ads for miracle pills and other snake oil, I’d say fine. But to ban anything else is a joke. Encouraging weight loss is not the toxic part of social media.

I am growing to despise the word “toxic”. Possibly the most overused term on the internet right now.
I think that’s what it was. Clickbait fitness junk that didn’t actually help from what I can remember.

Secondly, as someone who lost 110 pounds in the past year no amount of advertising works. That requires a moment of clarity about yourself for you to make any real change, the amount of body pain and money it takes to be fat didn’t outweigh feeling healthy and my cheapness.

Karmic Raze

I think that’s what it was. Clickbait fitness junk that didn’t actually help from what I can remember.

Secondly, as someone who lost 110 pounds in the past year no amount of advertising works. That requires a moment of clarity about yourself for you to make any real change, the amount of body pain and money it takes to be fat didn’t outweigh feeling healthy and my cheapness.
Congrats, dude. I lost 60 pounds last year myself. How did you go about losing so much? I hit a brick wall the last few months and can’t seem to lose any more.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I dont do pinterest so I dont know how wide of a net they are banning diets, gyms and sketchy pills, but as Soodanim said I agree. If a company wants to judge products advertising and cross off weird shit, thats ok in my books.

But if the net is wide and any copany is purposely trying to cross off healthy habits (working out, diets that work, lifestyle changes) thats going too far and just catering to whiners.

I'm overweight myself probably 40 lbs. Dont care. Jeans are tighter than my university days, bending over tougher, hell if I bang my shin on a my fucking wooden bedpost in the dark the bruise doesnt go away for ages. Who cares. Accept who you are and respect people promoting healthy stuff.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Congrats, dude. I lost 60 pounds last year myself. How did you go about losing so much? I hit a brick wall the last few months and can’t seem to lose any more.
For me it was just consistency and not stopping. Also, diet which is 90% of the work.

1. whole, non-processed, uncanned, unfrozen foods.

2. Logging everything

Logging everything you eat by weight will give you an idea of what you’re consuming everyday. When I started weighing my food vs just portion control is when I started seeing major changes. became less about cutting back and more about real change’s and being mindful of what I’m eating.

Also, more plant based meals! Not saying you have to go full veg/vegan but I’m sure the large amounts of fiber that come from it keeping my system clean helped a ton as well. I’m not talking about all those weird beyond and impossible meat shit, fuck that, there’s enough high protein/vitamin meals from actual plants, seitan and mushrooms (just my personal favorites) that I can’t honestly recommend that shit. Even fast food places say it’s too processed to be on the menu! Get creative with seitan, you can make it at home!

Arimer

It's so funny to me how society has decided being fat is some from of social issue instead of personal responsibility. We won't put the effort int to change it but we will put the effort in to change it to where if you make us face reality its a hate crime. I lost roughly 100 pounds a few years ago when i quit fooling myself and buckled down and fixed it. Keep a food log and face reality of what you're eating, that's a major first step.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
"A 2020 study found that subjects with eating disorders in the U.S. were concerned over "exposure to toxic social media" related to COVID-19-related weight gain. Searches for phrases such as "body neutrality" and "stop body shaming quotes" are up more than five times since a year ago, Pinterest said."

Jesus Christmas. I don't even know where to begin. Morbid Obesity is in folks. Stop trying to be healthy.
From a purely practical point of view - I don't care how it is in the US, you are obese and sick you pay higher healthcare premiums. But in Europe with state-run medical sector (which is most of the time really good, don't get me wrong) it kinda rubs me the wrong having to pay for people's bad life choices. Smokers at least contribute in part through the taxes on cigarettes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
From a purely practical point of view - I don't care how it is in the US, you are obese and sick you pay higher healthcare premiums. But in Europe with state-run medical sector (which is most of the time really good, don't get me wrong) it kinda rubs me the wrong having to pay for people's bad life choices. Smokers at least contribute in part through the taxes on cigarettes.
Yup. Thats the same view I have.

Canada is universal healthcare like most places, and irresponsible people using up medical care and costs come from smokers, alcoholics, drug users and any other weird shit, fine if you need medical care to stay alive thats fine.

But pay up something to comp the government (and taxpayers back). Anything. Even if its just a couple grand.

A guy accidentally breaking his leg gets covered, but still has to pay for crutches. But a guy doing a swan dive off a roof thinking he's superman is covered. Or a cocaine user gets covered in drug rehab. Figure that one out.

Now someone will say, they pay taxes so they should be covered. Well, I think reasonable people think it should be for reasonable things or out of control incidents. As opposed to over the top irresponsible things eating up more than fair share.

It should be no different than unemployment insurance payouts. It's meant to comp a person if they lost their job due to something out of their control (not at fault), and they are still putting in effort to get a job back. You dont get EI if you arent looking for a job in the meantime or it was your fault for getting fired.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Same. But you can always tax the shit out of junk food.
If you want a system that incentivize eating well, you should make healthy food cheaper than the rest.

It's definitevely not the case in the US, and while healthy food is cheaper in Europe, It's still not as cheap as junk food.
We do it for cigarettes and alcohol, why not sugar ? It kills you all the same. The dose make the poison.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Fat is normal but you have to trim it, not eating sugar and exercising seems to force fat and sweat out of you. It’s still shocking to me how poor people are also fat. That’s crazy.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Same. But you can always tax the shit out of junk food.
If you want a system that incentivize eating well, you should make healthy food cheaper than the rest.

It's definitevely not the case in the US, and while healthy food is cheaper in Europe, It's still not as cheap as junk food.
We do it for cigarettes and alcohol, why not sugar ? It kills you all the same. The dose make the poison.
That is true and I agree to that. Knowing France there is probably a lot of obscure extra charges on junk food (he have a A-E scale present on each product to denote its nutritional value), given that we still have (it was made clear because of Covid-19) approx. 15mln people (out of a population of 66mln) considered 'at risk' due to their health. Crazy numbers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fat is normal but you have to trim it, not eating sugar and exercising seems to force fat and sweat out of you. It’s still shocking to me how poor people are also fat. That’s crazy.
I think thats due to poor people:

- Not having money so they skew to 99 cents bags of chips and cheap junk food
- This goes for where they live and grocery stores nearby which skew to promoting junk food since they are a bargain store and not a high end food store
- Little sense of nutrition and dont give a shit
- Poor, so need a sense of gratification

For the same $1-2 worth of cheap chips, you can buy a small bag of apples. But looking at what people buy, the poor slobby looking people definitely skew to filling their cart with junk food and pop.

Last edited:

Outlier

The unfortunate truth of reality is that people learn best, from personal hardships.

Let them get unhealthy, suffer from the illness, and hope that if they survive they will learn the importance of keep themselves in check.

I think people lost the meaning behind "Check yourself, before you wreak yourself."

McCheese

Can you imagine if Instagram stopped allowing people to promote weight loss protein shakes? Every photo of a girl in leggings has a fucking protein shake bottle in shot somewhere, that shit is the raid shadow legends of social media.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This sucks because there are weight gain ads which use the browsing history of individuals to find susceptible people in order to convince them to go for fast food late at night or do other stupidly unhealthy things.

The advertising industry is a cancer. High level professionals in the space understand how powerful personalized ads are, and how unethical are the practices of the companies that employ these services.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

...Morbid Obesity is in folks. Stop trying to be healthy.
All right, I gotta give you that. That's pretty fucking hilarious.

But I'm glad they ban that shit. Now, were they ads from a non-profit or government agency actually trying to help people, I'm all for it. But hell, man, the same corporations backing these lose-weight companies are probably the same companies invested in propagating fast-food. Feed the cattle, then charge for help to lose weight, and keep 'em corralled walking in a fucking circle right back to Mickey De Fatass.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This sucks because there are weight gain ads which use the browsing history of individuals to find susceptible people in order to convince them to go for fast food late at night or do other stupidly unhealthy things.

The advertising industry is a cancer. High level professionals in the space understand how powerful personalized ads are, and how unethical are the practices of the companies that employ these services.
Totally. That's marketing.

Another hilarious thing is eco-friendly products.

These kinds of products have less chemicals in them. The cost of goods (COGS) is often lower than the normal shit. But due to perceived value and health sentiment, they cost more at stores. Thats because we charge more to sell to stores and stores jack it up with even higher margins than the mainstream stuff.

Health nuts actually believe it costs more due to magic science or better ingredients. Not true in all cases. Sometimes its as simple as getting rid of colourful dyes or scent, but the core product is the same as others and they slap on green packaging like it was made in a factory surrounded by a forest. But the sale cost is almost always more. lol

Last edited:

belmarduk

Isn’t Pinterest like Tumblr except the fat broads and horse-faced lesbians who use it tend to be a bit older? They’re just catering to their user base.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I was in china, eye drops were 75c. I got some today and they were $9. We’re screwed
Got to keep up that high cost standard of living through eternal price increases and profit chain profiteering for sake of making the numbers looking good.

When I did financials at one of my old companies, we'd sell cheap toys and trinkets to stores. The ballpark cost was this:

$10 Stores sells it to consumer
$5 Store cost to by from us
$2 Est. all in cost after everything, including the unit, overhead, office and warehouse staff, import duties etc....
$1 Unit cost of goods from Chinese contracted out factory (I saw it range from $0.90 cents to $1.20)
?? Who knows what their actual cost is to make it and sell to us for $1. But probably somewhere around 40-70 cents

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Got to keep up that high cost standard of living through eternal price increases and profit chain profiteering for sake of making the numbers looking good.

When I did financials at one of my old companies, we'd sell cheap toys and trinkets to stores. The ballpark cost was this:

$10 Stores sells it to consumer
$5 Store cost to by from us
$2 Est. all in cost after everything, including the unit, overhead, office and warehouse staff, import duties etc....
$1 Unit cost of goods from Chinese contracted out factory (I saw it range from $0.90 cents to $1.20)
?? Who knows what their actual cost is to make it and sell to us for $1. But probably somewhere around 40-70 cents

Chinese factories typically aim for 50% margin on non-electrical goods. For example a USB charging cable for your phone actual cost 25cents. Cables have a massive mark-up and I resent buying them outside of China.

CAB_Life

From CNN of all places. You know if they are reporting it, the reality of it must be overwhelming. Anyone with a functioning brain already knew of the undue bodily-stress and complications that come from excess weight, of course.

Top Bottom