• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinterest bans weight-loss ads

CAB_Life

There is medical evidence that Obesity is a "Major factor" in hospitalisation and death by Covid 19 (Yes, you can fact check this. Two seconds on Google will give you all you need).

If anything, the government should be ramping up healthy lifestyle ads.
We got one news day of stories on this data then the MSM went back to fearmongering and mask-shaming when obesity was a co-factor in 80% or so of all morbidities from Covid.

Fucking Clown World.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

From CNN of all places. You know if they are reporting it, the reality of it must be overwhelming. Anyone with a functioning brain already knew of the undue bodily-stress and complications that come from excess weight, of course.
It's a shame that we needed a new study to show what we've known forever.

-Minsc-

If it was ads for miracle pills and other snake oil, I’d say fine. But to ban anything else is a joke. Encouraging weight loss is not the toxic part of social media.

I am growing to despise the word “toxic”. Possibly the most overused term on the internet right now.
I'll just quote this since there's nothing else of real substance I can add.

manfestival

From CNN of all places. You know if they are reporting it, the reality of it must be overwhelming. Anyone with a functioning brain already knew of the undue bodily-stress and complications that come from excess weight, of course.
That is the biggest irony of all. CNN posting something that is counterintuitive to their objective.

Guess they are still stuck to be "bound by the science."

This is dumb. People sit around and look through Pinterest all the time and should be reminded that activity is good and being overweight can be in a persons control outside of some extreme medical issues.

Bring shame culture back and lets take care of this epidemic.

*Statement made by a fat ass working to loose weight.

Malakhov

Banned
Horrible timing to come up with it now where there are studies showing direct link between obesity/diabetes and higher risk of having a severe case of covid. People should be encouraged to try and stay healthy now more than ever.
This.

What was worth learning from this whole ordeal was to stop eating shit and start getting into shape

But people gained weight while eating chips at home and they now feel safe because they had their two shots, how pathetic.

Proud to say I've went from 210lbs to 180lbs since march 2020, ignore these idiots, start a diet and exercise

Last edited:

bitbydeath

We all know what awaits them.

tenor.gif

Or diabetes 🤷‍♂️

-Minsc-

This.

What was worth learning from this whole ordeal was to stop eating shit and start getting into shape

But people gained weight while eating chips at home and they now feel safe because they had their two shots, how pathetic.

Proud to say I've went from 210lbs to 180lbs since march 2020, ignore these idiots, start a diet and exercise
My tapeworms must be happy. I'm 6' and have a hard time hitting 145 lbs. Perhaps that decision to cut out things like pop and chips decades ago as a main part of my diet paid off. Fast food may be, at most, twice a week. By the end of the year I'm 40. Time to see if it all goes down hill.

Raven117

Gold Member

Humans since the dawn of time knew this.

Bragr

Banned
I think that’s what it was. Clickbait fitness junk that didn’t actually help from what I can remember.

Secondly, as someone who lost 110 pounds in the past year no amount of advertising works. That requires a moment of clarity about yourself for you to make any real change, the amount of body pain and money it takes to be fat didn’t outweigh feeling healthy and my cheapness.
Slapping around marketing regarding fat loss might not turn you on a dime, but if there one thing we should subconsciously manipulate people to think about, it's health.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Humans since the dawn of time knew this.
So true.

Even if a total lard ass has good blood pressure and cholesteral count etc..... even someone cant even go up and down the stairs without a hassle, or run a lap around a track without dying from aches and exhaustion you arent healthy.

There are exceptions. Some of those giant WWE guys like Rikishi are probably 400 lbs but can run around and do flips like they are half the weight, but those are rare.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
So true.

Even if a total lard ass has good blood pressure and cholesteral count etc..... even someone cant even go up and down the stairs without a hassle, or run a lap around a track with dying from aches and exhaustion you arent healthy.

There are exceptions. Some of those giant WWE guys like Rikishi are probably 400 lbs but can run around and do flips like they are half the weight, but those are rare.
Sure, there are always freaks of nature exceptions.

But otherwise, too much fat leads to blood pressure issues, cholesterol, and then the physical mechanics like weight on knees, angles, increased risk of breaking bones when falling. All that jazz.

Its not freakin rocket science. Humans have known this since the beginning.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

But otherwise, too much fat leads to blood pressure issues, cholesterol, and then the physical mechanics like weight on knees, angles, increased risk of breaking bones when falling. All that jazz.

Yup.

Problem with modern day people is they are so self absorbed into ego boosting and PR, they force themselves to say they are healthy even if they are fat and smoke and having trouble bending over to tie their shoelaces.

I'm fat myself. I'm a good 40 lbs overweight and my more athletic days during university are long gone. Bending over is tougher, there's no way I'd last playing multiple squash matches in a row anymore, but I'm not going to be an asshole and claim I'm still healthy. I'm basically just an office slob with a gut. If someone wants to analyze my looks, weight, internal health and athleticism and say I'm on the shit side, I agree. No need to ignore facts.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Yup.

Problem with modern day people is they are so self absorbed into ego boosting and PR, they force themselves to say they are healthy even if they are fat and smoke and having trouble bending over to tie their shoelaces.

I'm fat myself. I'm a good 40 lbs overweight and my more athletic days during university are long gone. Bending over is tougher, there's no way I'd last playing multiple squash matches in a row anymore, but I'm not going to be an asshole and claim I'm still healthy. I'm basically just an office slob with a gut. If someone wants to analyze my looks, weight, internal health and athleticism and say I'm on the shit side, I agree. No need to ignore facts.
Never to late my man. You can head on over to the Fitness Thread in community and get some inspiration if you feel like shedding a few lbs!

I was getting a little soft around the edge late last year (Covid...drinking too much wine because...well....what else are you going to do). Got after it this year, dropped 2 belt notches, and about 20 lbs give or take. Feeling pretty good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never to late my man. You can head on over to the Fitness Thread in community and get some inspiration if you feel like shedding a few lbs!

I was getting a little soft around the edge late last year (Covid...drinking too much wine because...well....what else are you going to do). Got after it this year, dropped 2 belt notches, and about 20 lbs give or take. Feeling pretty good.
I'm terrible. Im a big pop drinker. Always have been even as a kid as my dad used to buys cases of orange cplus and coke for the fam. I basically copied my dad as he was am office guy with a big gut too. He used to plow back the Labatt 50s too.

I've been trying to drink more bottled water more but not making dent. I decided to buy a Brita jug and some filters. As soon as my ~10 pops are done, I'm going to go on a water and milk only drinking attempt and see how much that moves the needle.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
My tapeworms must be happy. I'm 6' and have a hard time hitting 145 lbs. Perhaps that decision to cut out things like pop and chips decades ago as a main part of my diet paid off. Fast food may be, at most, twice a week. By the end of the year I'm 40. Time to see if it all goes down hill.
Hey, that's not true. I'm 41 now, I started eating better last year and exercising, I lost 30 pounds and haven't been felt good like this in a decade since I got my 2nd child. I've met a wonderful women who's in her 30s that makes me feel younger. It's like I'm being reborn and enjoying life for a second time after my divorce in 2017.

The thing is, if we hit our 40s and do nothing, then it goes downhill fast, I was on that slope. But we control our life, it doesn't have to.

Don't worry about it! :)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen a "This is healthy" or "Healthy/Beautiful at any size" with a fat dude depicted? Or is it only women who "benefit" from this movement?

Malakhov

Banned

This.

I live that, there is no denying, it's a brick in the face. When I'm 180+ pounds I have blood pressure and have to take meds for it. Once I exercise and lose weight, I don't even need the medication because then I have low blood pressure.

I've stopped my meds for two months now because I turned things around.

And like you said, we've known this for decades, eat better and move, humans were designed for this. We are not made to sit around all day at work and eat crap.

Raven117

Gold Member
I'm terrible. Im a big pop drinker. Always have been even as a kid as my dad used to buys cases of orange cplus and coke for the fam. I basically copied my dad as he was am office guy with a big gut too. He used to plow back the Labatt 50s too.

I've been trying to drink more bottled water more but not making dent. I decided to buy a Brita jug and some filters. As soon as my ~10 pops are done, I'm going to go on a water and milk only drinking attempt and see how much that moves the needle.
Soda/pop is pretty rough on the waistline as a beverage and not simply a little treat every once in awhile.

You try Le Croix or some of those other sparking waters? The fizz helps alot in trying to overcome the soda addiction.

Raven117

Gold Member
This.

I live that, there is no denying, it's a brick in the face. When I'm 180+ pounds I have blood pressure and have to take meds for it. Once I exercise and lose weight, I don't even need the medication because then I have low blood pressure.

I've stopped my meds for two months now because I turned things around.

And like you said, we've known this for decades, eat better and move, humans were designed for this. We are not made to sit around all day at work and eat crap.
Yup...it really is that simple.

Now, I understand there are medical issues that really do prevent weight loss, but, like gluten allergies, only a few people are actually effected by it and everyone else hops on the bandwagon. What a great excuse to not be healthy than say to yourself, being unhealthy is healthy.....

Malakhov

Banned
Yup...it really is that simple.

Now, I understand there are medical issues that really do prevent weight loss, but, like gluten allergies, only a few people are actually effected by it and everyone else hops on the bandwagon. What a great excuse to not be healthy than say to yourself, being unhealthy is healthy.....
It's going with the easy path, an excuse for not taking any actions since it's much harder and difficult path. Society has come to this, we blame others for our own problems, people have to accept it, and we don't have to change, it's pretty pathetic.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned

I was a big soda drinker, I know what it feels like.

What I did was switch to coca cola zero, I know people will tell you it's shit and it's bad but I started with that change. Then I started drinking natural flavored sparking water. Since you mentioned labbat 50, I assume you're in Quebec like me, so Ill mention the bubly brand.

At first it tastes like shit, it's nowhere near as sweet as soda, it doesn't taste like a soda nor like juice. But once you start drinking more of it while cutting soda, it tastes much more and I started to enjoy it

Going cold turkey on soda never worked for me, the craving comes back and then I went back for it. Start gradually, that's the only advice I can give from a personal experience.

Good luck with this!

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
It's going with the easy path, an excuse for not taking any actions since it's much harder and difficult path. Society has come to this, we blame others for our own problems, people have to accept it, and we don't have to change, it's pretty pathetic.
Yeah, you show me someone that doesn't take responsibility for their own health, the likelihood that they shun responsibility in other aspects of their life is very high. If you want to be heavier, thats fine. But own it. If someone says "yeah, I like being heavier, eating and drinking what I want, with no exercise, and that's the way I want to go out...," hey man, fair enough. We aren't making it out of this alive, so you do you. But don't lie to yourself.

Top Bottom