• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piranha Bytes' next game will be an RPG

-SD-

Banned
Everyone, act surprised.

tumblr_mqu4dtx6Yi1sdqk10o1_500.gif

Got confirmed by Michael Rüve of Piranha Bytes a few days ago: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/foru...ytes/page8?p=21642116&viewfull=1#post21642116

Michael Rüve said:
we are doing an RPG.

So, yeah, no surprise there, but will it be Risen 3, a new Gothic game (Gothic 5?) or perhaps even something else? There's that Risen 3 Steam database entry but on the other hand PB is back owning the Gothic intellectual property.

To be honest, I lost some faith in PB after Risen 2, but am still cautiously optimistic that the company will make at least one more truly great RPG. Something as fantastic as Gothic or Gothic 2: Night of the Raven would be nice, thank you very much.

EDIT: New info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83491481#post83491481

Almighty

Well that was unexpected. I was convinced they were going to try and get some of that sweet FPS pie this time.

I am hoping it's a new Gothic personally. Risen 2 was a disappointment, but I still have faith in them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gothic for sure, they didn't bought the IP for nothing.

Risen 2 sucked and bombed, I don't think Deep Silver (who own Risen ip) will put any money behind a sequel.

kadotsu

Banned
That would be nice. They should really branch out from the Stunlock Management Sims they are making currently.

DangerStepp

I cracked up at the thread title and OP.

Risen 2 was okay, it just didn't have enough steam in it to keep me going.

I can see the charm people find in it.

-SD-

Banned
New interview with PB's lead level designer: http://www.worldofgames.ro/sascha-henrichs-interview/

Some info bits regarding the upcoming RPG:

- it will be a "huge step forward not only in terms of visual quality but also in terms of variety" (than Risen 2, I think)
- landmass will probably be really big
- tech includes better navigation technique for NPCs, cloth animation and physically-based lighting solution.

Also: the Gothic series is most likely done. There will be no more Gothic games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Combat has always been PB's achilles heel, I'd love for them to try their hands at turn based combat.

Sentenza

I'm always interested in what PB does, even if they tend to be "hit and miss" with quality standards (to put it mildly).

On a side note, while a disappointing step back from the first chapter, I still found Risen 2 more enjoyable than most "mainstream" competing products in the same genre.

-SD-

Banned
Combat has always been PB's achilles heel, I'd love for them to try their hands at turn based combat.
Oh, well, I like Gothic 1/2 and Risen's combat very much. Once you get the hang of it, it's a great system in all of those three games. Gothic 3's and Risen 2's combat, on the other hand, is pretty much just button-mashing.

Turn-based combat? NoooooOOOooooooOOooOOOoooOOOOoOoOoOooOOOOoooooOoooo

Nikodemos

Pure real-time combat has pretty much always been crappy in RPGs. It tends to veer too quickly between boring h&s style [left-click/right-click with potion hotkeys] button mashing or overly convoluted pseudo-beat-em-up combo-wannabe. I'm happy devs are moving away from pure real-time.

Mentok

Banned
Is Risen 2 worth playing? Haven't tried it yet, but am a fan of pirates. I'm curious what the setting for their new rpg will be.

Kevtones

Risen 2 struck for me.

Loved the character progression despite the combat and it definitely got better as it went along. The move-set opened a bit but it still wasn't fluid. I kind of like it though - it hit my jank button.

Exploration wasn't as good, but it had a different vibe (in a good way). The whole 'going to a new island' thing was always pretty interesting. Loved the map in Risen though and playing Risen 2 made me wish it had more elevation (weird point to make but...) - Risen was GREAT for that.

Then again, I had fun with Arcania so fuck it.

Sentenza

Is Risen 2 worth playing? Haven't tried it yet, but am a fan of pirates. I'm curious what the setting for their new rpg will be.
The combat is beyond terrible, but anything else ranges from "passable/decent" to "almost good".

Top Bottom