• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitch some new game genres

I was wondering if there is a game like this, and if not, whether it'd be an interesting evolution/mode for the shooter genre.

my general mp ideas:

1:
(tactical?) squad based tps or fps, but the mode encourages you to stay together as a group via an "invisible" distance area. if a player of your squad strays too far they get a warning. their health slowly gets depleted and they start loosing squad perks if they get too far from the designated leader/each other. the leader can call in air strikes, which do little player damage so they arent OP, but they disorient the opposition and cause destruction. they can call in medevacs, so when a player is killed they radio in for the player to be airlifted out and air lifted back in (essentially a cool down respawn), but they parachute back in with some buffs, or able to shoot while parachuting giving an advantage.

2:
what if you take the battle royale concept, and make it an "endless" spawn/rounds, where once a certain amount of people have been killed, a new wave of players join the game from the outer edge of the map, and work their way inwards or to the designated control point. the players surviving from prior "rounds" could be rewarded/handicapped, given higher bounties etc.

I dont have much experience with mp, tactical shooters, or squad based games, so maybe something similar exists or this wouldnt be fun? but i think theyd make for some neat modes.

bonus:
bring back sRPGs with an adventure mode a la Shining Force.

I invented a game genre once or twice. You'd think I'd be drowning in the ladies, but alas, a good appreciation of a category of artistic composition marked by a distinctive style, form, or content is hard to find these days.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Life Sim Rougelike where you take one person through life micromanaging their actions while encountering randomly generated obstacles. HP Meters to take note of include: Happiness, Income, Fitness, and Health.

The average game will take 90 to 120 minutes. Start from age 13, ends at death. Players are ranked on metrics such as marriage, children, charitable contributions, inventions, and kills (the fewer the better, preferably 0)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
One of my favorite games of 2015 was Crypt of the Necrodancer which was a rhythm-roguelike. I'd love a sequel someday.

As far as a new genre mashup: rhythm-shmup. The closest we have is Dangun Feveron.

The specific timing of moves to keep a chain going or to dodge a mass of bullets feels similar to the pace of a rhythm game. Plus, both genres reward practice and memorization.

Top Bottom