• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitch the Metroid movie

I was inspired by this quote in the Brie Larson thread:

I think a great thread for the forum would be "Pitch the Metroid movie". Just the basic plot and idea you have for a movie.

So here's the thread. Pitch the Metroid movie:

Personally, what I'm about to describe is a fantasy best-case scenario for me and not at all what I would reasonably expect. I certainly don't expect any Metroid film will actually turn out like this. However what I would ideally like to see in a Metroid film adaptation would be:

Minimalist/environmental storytelling

The Metroid games are famous for conveying narrative subtly through environmental cues. Indeed, this is one of the main reasons that Other M and, to a lesser extent, Metroid Fusion were such controversial entries in the series: they eschewed that subtle storytelling in favour of a more expositional and dialogue-heavy narrative. A good Metroid film should respect what makes Metroid special and seek to convey mood, atmosphere and (where possible) narrative through set design, lighting and sound design. I'm not saying there should be no dialogue at all, but it should be used sparingly and only when necessary. I think it would be entirely possible to create a great film this way because it's been done before. I'm thinking of the German Kammerspielfilms of the 1920s (the most famous of which being FW Murnau's brilliant The Last Laugh in 1924) which avoided dialogue almost entirely in the belief that most of the meaning should come from the image. If it could be done with the limited technology of the 1920s it can certainly be done now. The problem is that it would take a very bold and confident team to pull it off and I just have no faith that Hollywood has it what it takes now. An indie studio producing a great Metroid film is also unlikely because you'd need great set design and decent sized budget to do it justice. Which brings me on to my second point...

It should be shot on film or high-resolution digital camera

A Metroid film that relies heavily on visuals needs to be visually striking and so you really want good equipment to capture it in the best possible light. I don't want any shitty upscales for my UHD Blu Ray Metroid release. Give me full-fat gorgeous native 4K with great HDR or GTFO.

Casting

I think the Brie Larson thread showed pretty conclusively that most people here do NOT want her cast as Samus. But who do we want? Prime Uma Thurman (think Kill Bill era) would have been great for me but she's probably too old now. Charlize Theron or Margot Robbie are decent shouts too. I think Margot Robbie maybe looks the part a bit more but Charlize Theron is probably a better actress.

Director

Ridley Scott or Christopher Nolan would be ideal.

Sound

I'd like some orchestral cinematic arrangements of a few classic tracks from the Metroid series to make it in. Lower Brinstar, Phenandra Drifts, the opening theme of Super Metroid etc.

What would you like to see from a Metroid film GAF?

The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby. The baby.

mcjmetroid

I just don't see a movie working. I love metroid.

BUT

It's a weird series in general. It's kinda in that grey area of... Ok it's kinda adultish but then it has giant brains as enemies and you're protagonist has a goofy yellow suit and you're fighting the " space pirates.

I would like to see an anime done of Metroid but I don't think even anime will treat Samus Right.

In other worlds unless you change the story of the games and expand it. I can't see it working.

I just don't see anything in metroid that would make a movie without upsetting a lot of people and it's not a big enough franchise to get a movie in the first place.

Again love metroid but nah

Tenaciousmo

Have the main character not speak during the whole movie, have it be in the Varia Suit, at the end of the movie, remove the helmet : Karl Urban. Shocker it was a guy the whole time.

Should've been made in late 80s / early 90s with
Linda Hamilton as Samus
Dolph Lundgren, Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton and Jeffrey Combs as supporting characters (Samus's bounty hunter crew) with some cool death scenes
Kareem Abdul-Jabar or Wilt Chemberlein as Ridley (costumed)
Directed by Paul Verhoeven

plip.plop

O08b7Jb.jpg

JonnyMP3

Have the main character not speak during the whole movie, have it be in the Varia Suit, at the end of the movie, remove the helmet : Karl Urban. Shocker it was a guy the whole time.
No!
Any film that has Karl Urban wearing a helmet, that does NOT include the word 'Dredd' in it, is illegal and should not be made.

Edit A Word

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
She used to be a he.

but the spacepirates abducted him and mutilated his private parts.

now xe hunts the galaxy for transphobic space pirates and fights for trans space people.

also big fat throbbing space dicks

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
d7c54gq-675c162c-7a22-4d2a-a5e1-ec5eacb6c71e.jpg

I was inspired from this artwork, I would use it as a initial plot for a movie.

During a long fight with the metroids, Samus and her ship are catapulted far far away from her galaxy left her almost dead floating in space near a blue planet called Earth. She is retrieved by military who want to study her, her technology, and especially her biology since she is strangely too much similar to earthlings, just more pale and taller (similar to Navi in Avatar since she lived in a planet with different gravity and conditions) Without her suit and her ship, she manage to escape and find some people who want to help her. But her enemies are coming to earth too, metroids and Ridley included...

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

watch the raid, it's pretty much indonesian dredd, without helmets.

Already watched that and the Raid 2.
Literally saw both The Raid and Dredd in the same month back in 2012. And yeah, despite both films more or less having the same plot, the way each film takes the same premise but with their own take was awesome.
One being a martial arts thriller and the other a sci-fi based action movie. Both were excellent.

Corderlain

Banned
There's already a perfect plot line for the metroid movie that's established in lore. Just give us what happened on the recon mission pre-Metroid Fusion.

Top Bottom