• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel-Art in video games, not just some squares.

PhaseJump

Banned
Looking at all the new 16 bit looking shit, hearing all the 8 NES stylized chiptune music.

tumblr_osai5abTcR1ve0mxgo2_250.gifv

Use the Genesis synth & SNES sample sounds if you must, but to go back to 8bit music is to be intentionally retarded.

Fuck those games. Fuck that era's music. Fuck yourselves for making this, indie devs. My ears can only bleed so much.

nikolino840

Is It possibile (or exist) an aaa pixel art?
I mean...I was seeing loot River.. and thinking of other games in pixel art I always see flaws .. or animations or artificial intelligence or the absence of voice in dialogues... I imagine that those who have little money pixel art is a very valid technique ... but who has a lot of money? Could Naughty dog make the ultimate pixel art game?

Holammer

Is It possibile (or exist) an aaa pixel art?
I mean...I was seeing loot River.. and thinking of other games in pixel art I always see flaws .. or animations or artificial intelligence or the absence of voice in dialogues... I imagine that those who have little money pixel art is a very valid technique ... but who has a lot of money? Could Naughty dog make the ultimate pixel art game?
tbh, I don't think there's a market for it. Maybe the SquareEnix faux pixel art stuff and other similar products may lead to a newfound appreciation to the style and grow the market again. For now it's kinda niche.

Main reason why it won't happen? You don't need that many people to make a decent pixel art game nowadays. The tools are so much better, what used to be a full price game in the 8 &16-bit days involved a fair bit of people, can now be done with what amounts to a small indie studio today.
If the market expands, sure! I'd love to see pixel art stuff with better budgets, but we'll never need 150M $ and 300 employees to do it.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Could Naughty dog make the ultimate pixel art game?
Can they even make proper pixel-art to begin with ?

Games in the past had smaller budget, that's for sure. Still, some were very ambitious, but for this to be possible, developers had to get rid of the ROM size constraint. If you start looking at games on 16 bits CD console, you will see some of the things you are looking for.

I am not an expert in PCE CD, but I know there are quite a few very ambitious RPGs on it. One comes to mind, and is called Anearth Fantasy Stories. And there are other games by Falcom.

On Mega-CD, where I have more knowledge, I can definitely tell you that Snatcher and Lunar Eternal Blue were very ambitious games, and true to the pixel-art style that we love. These games had voices, videos, great soundtrack, a lot of content and gorgeous pixel-art.

On Neo-Geo CD as well, you had some incredible works in the later years. Both Last Blade games, and KOF 99 had incredible pixel-art and fantastic soundtracks.

Moving in the 32 bits world, pixel-art started shifting to new techniques and often, it wasn't the same anymore. Many scanned textures and so on. The results were ugly, quite often.

Still some 32 bits games were true pixel-art of course. Also 32 bits consoles were most of the time a step-back in the audio department as well, abandoning the Redbook quality from 16 bits consoles.

You can take a look at Ecco the Dolphin on Mega-CD. This is a straight port from the MegaDrive game, so not necessarily very impressive in terms of content. However, the soundtrack is one of the most impressive we had back then. Incredible production value.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Looking at all the new 16 bit looking shit, hearing all the 8 NES stylized chiptune music.

Use the Genesis synth & SNES sample sounds if you must, but to go back to 8bit music is to be intentionally retarded.

Fuck those games. Fuck that era's music. Fuck yourselves for making this, indie devs. My ears can only bleed so much.

Holammer

This might get its own thread, but I think it's relevant to the theme of this one.
Digital Foundry's John Linneman had to make a video talking about Kikikaikai/pocky & rocky reshrined. It's a good example of the stuff I talked about #253. Very impressive graphics from such a small team.
The upcoming Souldiers (which was delayed to June btw) also seems to have a very small team behind it.

Ozzie666

This might get its own thread, but I think it's relevant to the theme of this one.
Digital Foundry's John Linneman had to make a video talking about Kikikaikai/pocky & rocky reshrined. It's a good example of the stuff I talked about #253. Very impressive graphics from such a small team.
The upcoming Souldiers (which was delayed to June btw) also seems to have a very small team behind it.

I really hope the game makes enough profit for the team to continue and live well. It's projects like this that make me smile, TMNT, etc. I still believe there is profits to be made on efforts like this, just not in the size big corporations care about anymore. The game looks beautiful and you can tell John has a connection with it. Reminded me of his Sor4 review, just oozing passion. Seems well deserved.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
As someone who is completely obsessed with tidying up and loves pixel-art this game seems like a match mad in heaven. It just feels so weird to buy a game like that. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I don't know...

Holammer

Early Access for Songs of Conquest was just launched. It's currently #1 top selling global on Steam, and what's not to like? It's a pixel art Heroes of Might and Magic III clone.
The first game developed by Swedish based Lavaportion (look at the NEEERDS!). Let's get real here, this is the result of market research and it's working! I'll get eventually.

Sophist

Early access of Retro Commander is now available on Steam for Free. Price will go up as more content is being added.

Why Early Access?​

“To obtain game-play feedbackin order to improve the game, e.g. balancing and feature requests. The campaign missions will need to be completed as well as the manual. Also, there is expected to be bugs.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?​

“About 4-12 months.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?​

“We plan to have the eventual bugs fixed, missing features added and the campaign missions completed. We also plan to add missing documentation such as how to do modding. We also plan to work on sound effects and music.

For the campaign missions and battle maps, we are planning to add the following:
  • Campaign Chapter 01: included with the game.
  • Campaign Chapter 02: 3 Missions (about 1 month to complete)
  • Campaign Chapter 03: 4 Missions (about 1 month to complete)
  • Campaign Chapter 04: 4 Missions (about 1 month to complete)
  • Campaign Chapter 05: 4 Missions (about 1 month to complete)
  • Campaign Chapter 06: 4 Missions (about 1 month to complete)
  • Campaign Chapter 07: 4 Missions (about 1 month to complete)
  • Campaign/more: depending on how well the campaign is received, we'll add more.
  • Battle Maps: there are currently 2 (we might add another one or two)
Be warned, the AIis rather weak at the moment. We plan to make it stronger before we leave EARLY ACCESS.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?​

“The following functionality is implemented:
  • A couple of scenarios for both single and multiplayer.
  • Chapter 01 of the story campaign is completed.
  • Core AI functionality with the AI being able to do rudimentary attack and defense.
  • Cross-platform multiplayer over LAN/internet including co-op team and clan games.
  • Troops including infantry, tanks, jets, helicopters, airships, warships, submarines and more.
  • Weapons including bullets, shell, laser, bombs and EMP stun. Also included are nuclear weapons including ICBMs.
  • Factions each with their own technologies including stealth, shields, portal, hover and drones.
  • Day-night cycles, rain, wind and solar flare activity.
  • Map editor and a central server to host and distribute player-modded maps.
  • High scores, playing statistics and multiplayer ELO-ranking.
  • Music and sound effects.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?​

“We plan to gradually raise the price as we ship new content and features.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?​

“Players are encouraged to post feature requests in the Steam Forums.”

Gameplay:

Holammer

A guy I follow on Twitter noted that Team Ladybug announced & shadow-dropped a new game. Like, right out of the blue.
Team Ladybug previously made two well received pixel art Metroidvania games, now they take a stab at horizontally scrolling schmups of the late 80's variety like R-type, Darius & Gradius (no bullet hell!).
No info could be found on console versions, but it sounds like a given, eventually. It's just so much easier to publish on Steam.

Con-Z-epT

A guy I follow on Twitter noted that Team Ladybug announced & shadow-dropped a new game. Like, right out of the blue.
Team Ladybug previously made two well received pixel art Metroidvania games, now they take a stab at horizontally scrolling schmups of the late 80's variety like R-type, Darius & Gradius (no bullet hell!).
No info could be found on console versions, but it sounds like a given, eventually. It's just so much easier to publish on Steam.

This looks super cool! Thanks for sharing!

Holammer

Souldiers was released a couple of days ago and I've played it for a bit. I knew the game was special after I tried the demo, that it looked like the pixel art from Square or Capcom games of old. Once I got further into the world I think it's safe to say it's *the* most beautiful pixel art ever and it's one of the finest Metroidvanias since SotN.
However, the difficulty is beyond brutal and makes Blasphemous look fair and balanced. So hard in fact, it's hurting the Steam user score which lies at 54% now (oof!). I'll just git gut, but you have been warned.

Here's some screenshots with Reshade injected for a CRT effect, using:
  • CRT_Royale
  • Vignette
  • CRTFrutbunn for scanlines at 427x240

676135605B8C226365C094C283DAC27CEEA61675

One extremely colorful scene from the town hub, look closer and you notice there's actually conservative use of color and dithering techniques are used to give the illusion of more (works well with CRT filter). Everything is animated with several frames, like the pink dog girl to the right watering flowers.

B69989ABED3E5DF46B0FF4B7005CAAC364C552C7

This is the artists showing off, leaves and grass are animated and moving with the wind, a screenshot cannot convey the effect. You'll just have to trust me.

A7C6B606E7461F17DF4F60884A86E21F651126DE

One of the vendors in town. The portraits might feel unnecessary, it's clearly a nod/homage to Wonderboy in Monster Land.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT YES.
I genuinely love 8 bit chiptune but DAMN if it isn't overdone today. Artists like Stinkbug, Coda and Yosuke Yasui are proof that if we let go of the NES shit and really expand to more unique forms of chiptune we can create some genuinely amazing tunes

BTW, if you want more non NES chiptune consider checking out Battle of the Bits

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
As someone who is completely obsessed with tidying up and loves pixel-art this game seems like a match mad in heaven. It just feels so weird to buy a game like that. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I don't know...

That game was very enjoyable, until the last level. Got a bit too busy and longer compared to the rest. Had to do that one in two parts.

Bartski

Gold Member

Meifumado is an action role-playing game set in a post-apocalyptic, immersive, open world inspired by Japan. It features an in-depth combat system and puts heavy focus on RPG elements allowing player to change the course of the story and its ending depending on the choices you make throughout the game.
The central conflict of the story is a war among several rival factions for control over a large island called Yamatai, that is left lying in ruins after the devastating global war. Player will get to choose a side and play a key role in shaping the future of the land of Yamatai and lives of its inhabitants.

FEATURES
  • Deep combat system offering multiple fighting styles, special attacks/abilities, sub-weapons and various weapon types.
  • Different non-combat skills: crafting, hunting, stealing.
  • Exploration of a vast, detailed open world ruined by a global war, consisting of many different kinds of locations divided into multiple metroidvania-structured levels; each with its unique environment and atmosphere.
  • Heavy focus on RPG elements: choices with consequences, multiple endings depending on player's actions, factions with their own ideologies, that player can join.
  • Story-driven side quests with multiple ways to complete.
  • Numerous side activities: guarding or raiding caravans, participation in fighting tournaments, gambling.
  • Highly detailed, beautiful pixel art with fluid animations.

Holammer

While grinding away in Souldiers and admiring the gorgeous pixel art, two neurons in my brain shacked up, and I got reminded of a promising MUGEN fangame called Card Sagas Wars that made some waves about 10-12 years ago. A bit of googling and yes, the artist orkimides/Alberto Hernández was involved with Souldiers.

Here's are two videos from the artists YT page, in GLORIOUS 240p. It looks like shit tbh, so don't watch it in fullscreen. I wonder if Youtube did something, re-compressed it? Either way, the specials are insane, especially the second video at 1:22. If he put in that effort on a fan game, no wonders the graphics are so sick in Souldiers.

Con-Z-epT

Got myself a new phone and while i was looking for something to play on it i remembered that i never played "Papers, Please". So i bought it.

Very fun game i must say. At first i was a bit confused on how to interrogate people but on the third day i got it down. Since it's expanding more and more from day to day i'm curious where this will take me. Overall this seems to be a perfect smartphone game from the visuals to the layout.

I also bought Dead Cells again. Played it already for hundreds of hours on PS4 and felt the urge to play it again. Just stumbled across it on the App Store and immediately bought it. A bit harder than on a controller but i'm getting used to it. There is not a lot to say that i haven't mentioned already. Wonderful game and now that i can play it on the go it's even more satisfying.

Holammer

Found something cool on WhatsOnSteam. Oita/Beppu Mystery Information Distorted Bamboo Lantern (straight translation), this game is is a visual novel/point and click adventure like ShadowGate on the NES, with art restricted in terms of palette and resolution to look like a proper Famicom title. This particular genre was a little bit more popular in Japan, so this is no doubt nostalgia fodder. The character designs are by Kiyokazu Arai and for some reason that's a big deal? After some research, turns out he was the box art/instruction book illustrator for Hokkaido Serial Killer Disappeared in Okhotsk, a game in the genre released on everything, Famicom, MSX & PC-98 compatibles between 1985-87.

4d51833f.jpg

The trailer on the publishers YT page looks more like an advertisement for Ōita prefecture and it's available for Switch & PC.
(Just as I was about to hit the post button it hit me that both of these games, new and old take place in the far north and south of Japan, coincidence? I think not!)

Holammer

Armored Lab Force VULVEHICLES? That's a strange name for a game, I feel like I'm being judged by Freud just thinking about it.
Developed by the Japanese dojin shmup developer Astro Port. They have a pretty impressive body of work with Satazius and Wolflame, but this is the *best* looking yet, with pixel art that would've been top notch back in the 90's.
Of course I had to buy it and it's pretty good. Sadly there's a bug/feature in fullscreen mode where the crisp pixel art turns into blurry anti-alised smudge. My usual ReShade setup perks it up and makes it acceptable to watch. Hopefully it'll be fixed.

CamHostage

A turbo kid game ? how did this happen lol. Game looks good I'll just leave this here though to explain my shock.

Ancient-bump, but this seemed the best place to refer people to an upcoming PC demo of the Turbo Kid game, playable on September 26. I didn't see a demo length or any info on if it's a close-to-the-end demo or an early demo (there's still no release date) but check that out in a few weeks as all the clips of this game I've seen have been fun.

hlm666

Ancient-bump, but this seemed the best place to refer people to an upcoming PC demo of the Turbo Kid game, playable on September 26. I didn't see a demo length or any info on if it's a close-to-the-end demo or an early demo (there's still no release date) but check that out in a few weeks as all the clips of this game I've seen have been fun.

Had completely forgotten about this so thanks, your a champ.

Holammer

Psychic 5 is getting a remaster for Switch in spring 2023. It's a '87 Jaleco arcade game and one which I remember enjoying. Developed by CRT Games, a South Korean developer and the guys behind the recent grotesque looking Snow Bros remake.
By the looks of it in the trailer, it includes the original arcade and a remastered version where you can switch between old glorious pixel art and pudgy highres vectors on the fly.

Via Niche Gamer

Holammer

Megaman'esque Super Alloy Ranger was just released on Steam and it's coming to Switch next year.
It's cheap so I had to buy it, just to support pixel art game development. I might even play it!
Edit: tried it and it's bloody brilliant! I'll just slap a CRT Reshade on it and continue.

Similarly Freedom Planet 2 just had a PC release ahead of console versions mid 2023. Despite the unmistakable whiff of Sonic OC designs, it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

Holammer

Shovel Knight Dig was just released on Steam, Switch & Apple Arcade. Developed by British based Nitrome.
Injected CRT shaders and tried it a little before posting here, it's just what I expected. Not too different from the original, but it focuses more on digging down vertically and it's a rogue-like now. What really sells it is the authentic megadrive style use of color & palette. Even the the music is suitably chippy and grabs a page from Climax's notesheet, you can almost hear passages from Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness & Landstalker in places.

58004D62F8E4C08B5E896E631134C0FB636886A8

As you dig down and collect gems a town hub on the topside develops with new characters and shops appearing. The stuff you expect from a rogue-like.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

After playing Dead Cells excessively on my new phone i went back and downloaded it again onto my PS5. Also bought the remaining DLC and with it the game twice now in its entirety. It is still a wonderful experience and i can stress enough how good it is on so many layers. Released in 2018 and still gets support.

52435169865_13e1a7e8cf_o.png

52435169815_b4f09a83fb_o.png

Fuz

Banned

Psychic 5 is getting a remaster for Switch in spring 2023. It's a '87 Jaleco arcade game and one which I remember enjoying. Developed by CRT Games, a South Korean developer and the guys behind the recent grotesque looking Snow Bros remake.
By the looks of it in the trailer, it includes the original arcade and a remastered version where you can switch between old glorious pixel art and pudgy highres vectors on the fly.

Via Niche Gamer

HOLY SHIT

One of my all-time favourite arcade games.

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm with you, brother. Pixel Art is amazing, and some of the most striking visuals can be achieved with it.

Here are some of my favorite's pixel art games of today.

The Messenger - Not just the visuals, but the amazing soundtrack and fun dialogs;
Celeste - Addictive gameplay, again great score and story;
Blasphemous - The pixel art combines wonderfully with the game aesthetics;
Katana Zero - Amazing concept and cool visuals, it is just perfect.

Holammer

Primal Light is made by Fat Gem (I believe a Polish studio) and is available for PC, Switch, and Xbox.

They also have a game coming next year called Dukes Up, which is more 8-bit style from the looks of it.

bOtb0XM.png

Let's put that on the wishlist.

Saw this megadrive style pixel art platformer today. By Brazilian developer JoyMasher, the guys behind Odallus, Oniken & Blazing Chrome. For PC, Playstation & Switch. Releases Jan 12th 2023.

Fuz

Banned

tv land you know nothing GIF by YoungerTV

Fuz

Banned

Primal Light is made by Fat Gem (I believe a Polish studio) and is available for PC, Switch, and Xbox.

P1UnyEf.gif

They also have a game coming next year called Dukes Up, which is more 8-bit style from the looks of it.

bOtb0XM.png

This looks great to me. Has a bit of Demon's Crest vibes.
Even this Dukes Up (kinda sorta reminds me of Bad Dudes, I know it's just me), where can I see more of it?

Last edited:

Holammer

Tried Gunlocked, it just got out of Early Access and it's a mashup of Vampire Survivors & vertical shoot 'em ups. Mechanically it's genuinely an evolutionary next step in the genre and I expect more games inspired by it.
Like VS it's dirt cheap and you don't fire manually, focusing on avoiding enemies and bullets. Instead you have sensor scans of varying types and other mechanics that lock on & fire bullets + upgrades that deal damage based on other conditions. Select upgrades correctly and you gain synergies.

The end result feeling like Rayforce & Power Strike fused with a rogue-like.

Holammer

Found this new game on WhatsOnSteam (released today). A pixel art platformer made by only two guys, a coder/artist and a musician. It's heavily inspired by games like Rastan, your typical 90's action platformers you saw in arcades, Amiga or 16 bit consoles. The bread and butter of the Megadrive.
There's some jank, but I was very impressed and I found myself enjoying it. What really blows my mind is that two people made it, back in the days a project on this scale would have required a team of a dozen or more.

Also grabbed this precision action platformer on the Steam sale, released in 2020, but I never heard of it and the graphics are very close to a quality Capcom title. Artists use a limited palette with dithering to get an authentic look. It's a far more mechanically polished and technically better game than Argol, but Argol was more charming.
Also available on Xbox & Switch.

Top Bottom