• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel Junk Eden Thread of Spreading that Videogame Seed of Love

Its like I had to recalibrate some nether region of my 'game brain' to get used to the controls. But once it clicked, it utterly clicked and I was off flying away. Coolest digital release this year by an imperial mile.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay that was fucking CRAZY! Oh my GOD while I was on my fourth spectra, I was thinking "Okay this is the best game ever created, I'll never stop playing" and I TOTALLY FORGOT THAT IT WAS A DEMO :mad:

So when I completed it and it said "please purchase" I was like "WHAT THE FUCK?!".

God damnit, I am officially mind blown. I knew what was going on from start because of all the previews I've ready, I had no problems what so ever progressing. The graphics are mesmerizing, the soundtrack is probably the best PJ's ever done, the controls are flawless IMO and the overall presentation is just beyond anything else.

T5: Dark Resurrection was the best PSN game out there.
Now it's Eden, I'm fucking serious.

GOD DAMN.

EDIT: WHO cares about SCIV next week? WHO cares about WoW AV Weekend next week? I sure as hell don't, fuck everything. PJ, have my money. Twice! I'll buy it on two PSN accounts.

The Jer

Zeliard said:
Given how amazing both Monsters and especially Eden are, I'm really starting to wonder about Cars now, which I've never played. I know that was their first Pixeljunk game, but how can it possibly be that bad considering how good the other two are?
imo, the games seem very, very different from another. just because you're into one thing doesn't mean you're into another.

I played the demos for the other two PJ games didn't like them at all. It was very clear I wasn't interested in the games.

I will however be be buying Eden. The demo alone has convinced me that this is one of the best games I've played in a long, long time.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Zeliard said:
For those who have tried co-op, can it be somewhat bothersome as the 1UP guys made it seem, how if your friend falls the camera tracks them all the way down and your guy up top gets screwed? Does that happen often?

You get a 2 second warning when one of the guys goes off screen, eventually you learn to 'bail out' and jump down with your loser friend (or in my case girlfriend) if they miss a jump.

Slacker

Zeliard said:
Given how amazing both Monsters and especially Eden are, I'm really starting to wonder about Cars now, which I've never played. I know that was their first Pixeljunk game, but how can it possibly be that bad considering how good the other two are?
PJRacers is just so-so (although pretty decent with a group around the tee vee), but I bought it just to throw a couple more bucks at these guys. PixelJunk Monsters was just that damn good. :D And now Eden looks to be even better. :D

Zeliard

Q Games boils it all down to the essence of what downloadable titles should be: gorgeous, simple, fun, addictive, and then they take each of those aspects and put their own distinctive stamp on it. Fucking awesome developer.

Evander

"industry expert"
tanod said:
Difference between Sony/MS and Nintendo:

Nintendo often charges $50 for what you find on XBL and PSN for $10.

And Sony and MS charge $60 for EVERYTHING you'[ll find on the Wii for $50

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is quite stunning. It reminds me of N+ with not as much of a death penalty and a way cooler aesthetic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How do I mail Pixeljunk? I want to give them my credits, seriously. SERIOUSLY.

Evander

"industry expert"
Tenks said:
I don't recall seeing HD gaming on the Wii for $50

You really want to shit up a thread about such an awesome game with system wars.

All that I wanted to do was show that everything is relative, so let's drop it all.

dralla

Evander said:
And Sony and MS charge $60 for EVERYTHING you'[ll find on the Wii for $50

You don't find the quality of software [technically speaking] on the Wii as you do on the PS360.

Zeliard

The Jer said:
imo, the games seem very, very different from another. just because you're into one thing doesn't mean you're into another.

I played the demos for the other two PJ games didn't like them at all. It was very clear I wasn't interested in the games.

I will however be be buying Eden. The demo alone has convinced me that this is one of the best games I've played in a long, long time.

Slacker said:
PJRacers is just so-so (although pretty decent with a group around the tee vee), but I bought it just to throw a couple more bucks at these guys. PixelJunk Monsters was just that damn good. :D And now Eden looks to be even better. :D

I'll probably give the Cars demo a shot pretty soon. Q Games has certainly moved up quite a bit on my list of best developers out there. Monsters and Eden are so refreshing and great that it seems odd to me that Q Games would even be capable of a misstep when it comes to Pixeljunk titles. :p

tanod

when is my burrito
Y2Kev said:
This is quite stunning. It reminds me of N+ with not as much of a death penalty and a way cooler aesthetic.

After having recently purchased N+, I absolutely agree.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
shagg_187 said:
$50 Game. $10 720p/1080p + Better graphics + Better quality + Online gaming and the patches if required :p
Wait a second... why do PC games still cost $50?

:O

edit: The demo was awesome. Will buy.

Evander

"industry expert"
Are you guys really that insecure?

PixelJunk Eden is FuckAwesome, and instead of talking about that, you'd rather talk system wars?

I'm sorry I even validated tanod's comment by responding to it.

Let's talk about Eden, okay?

Yoshichan

Evander said:
Let's talk about Eden, okay?
Just a question I wondered while playing Eden, do you like fl0w more :)?

Evander

"industry expert"
Seiken said:

Honestly, I'm not sure at this point. I was questioning myself whether or not Eden has surpassed fl0w, in my heart.

I'll be sure to let everyone know the answer next week.

Yoshichan

Evander said:
Honestly, I'm not sure at this point. I was questioning myself whether or not Eden has surpassed fl0w, in my heart.

I'll be sure to let everyone know the answer next week.
Great! Looking forward to know, obviously it won't affect my opinion about the game but clearly it's hard to not think of fl0w when I see your avatar :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pixeljunk Racers is pretty good, not all that amazing, worth the money ONLY if you have a HDTV (it's impossible to play without one).

My friend and I had a blast with co-op. We were swinging with some amazing combos and then...SMACK, we hit each other and fall alllllll the way down. :lol :lol

Slacker

Seiken said:
When I was playing the demo I was thinking, "Hey this is like fl0w, except it's a game..."

chubigans said:
Pixeljunk Racers is pretty good, not all that amazing, worth the money ONLY if you have a HDTV (it's impossible to play without one).
Yeah that's the one thing to watch out for with PJ games. Monsters looks pretty rough on my SDTV too (hawt on my 22" 720p monitor though).

Evander

"industry expert"
Seiken said:
Great! Looking forward to know, obviously it won't affect my opinion about the game but clearly it's hard to not think of fl0w when I see your avatar :p

Even if it doesn't surpass flOw, it'll definitely be in second place.

bryehn

Durante said:
Demo was amazing, wish I could buy it already.

And please, if anyone else has problems reading the font in dark red then post, because it looks like I'm the only one :/

I do too a bit, mostly because the text is so thin.

Zeliard

chubigans said:

My friend and I had a blast with co-op. We were swinging with some amazing combos and then...SMACK, we hit each other and fall alllllll the way down. :lol :lol

Oh yeah, duh. Racers. I dunno why I kept calling it Cars. :( I guess it's because "Monsters" is just as simple and straightforward.

Yoshichan

Really, I'm having a hard time believing they're gonna make a better game than Eden for 1-4... though that's exactly what I said about Monsters so...

Evander

"industry expert"
Zeliard said:
Oh yeah, duh. Racers. I dunno why I kept calling it Cars. :( I guess it's because "Monsters" is just as simple and straightforward.

Or maybe Monsters just sticks you in a Pixar mindset. ;)

Agent X

I was seriously impressed with the demo!

It's reminiscent of flOw in not just the abstract art style, but also the fact that the controls have a slight learning curve to them, in a good way. Although the control scheme is simple, getting your onscreen persona to do what you want to do isn't immediately obvious...but after you play around for about 2 or 3 minutes, it'll "click" in your mind and you'll have a greater sense of understanding. After a couple more minutes, you aren't even thinking about the controls anymore, but rather you just do things.

This is really a creative game, and anyone who's got their PS3 connected to the Internet really ought to try it.

Yoshichan

h3ro said:
I want the soundtrack NOW.
Wow, speaking of that! I never tried if custom soundtrack worked for Eden, it worked on Monsters so it SHOULD work!

BobsRevenge

Seiken said:
Really, I'm having a hard time believing they're gonna make a better game than Eden for 1-4... though that's exactly what I said about Monsters so...
Is 1-4 PJDungeons or whatever?

These guys are awesome. PJMonsters is crazy good and Edin is a lot of fun too.

Zeliard

Evander said:
Or maybe Monsters just sticks you in a Pixar mindset. ;)

Not actually a terrible place to be. :p

Unless you're talking about A Bug's Life Pixar, in which case, them's fightin' words.

Yoshichan

BobsRevenge said:
Is 1-4 PJDungeons or whatever?

These guys are awesome. PJMonsters is crazy good and Edin is a lot of fun too.
Though I wonder when they're gonna make a "crazy" multiplayer game like Racers again... Monsters was singleplayer only and Eden seems to "calm" to be a great multiplayer game.

Dungeons doesn't seem to be multi either.

BobsRevenge

Seiken said:
Though I wonder when they're gonna make a "crazy" multiplayer game like Racers again... Monsters was singleplayer only and Eden seems to "calm" to be a great multiplayer game.

Dungeons doesn't seem to be multi either.
The co-op in Monsters is disgustingly awesome. I'm not good enough at the game just by myself to beat it! Me and my roommate played Monsters non-stop for like, two days. Good times.

Best demo of the year. Now to wait until SCEE release the game :(

I think flOw is better as a experience. In Eden you need to restart the garden if "time" is over, and then you remember that it's a game.

Evander

"industry expert"
PistolGrip said:
I thought u didnt have a PS3?

What the hell made you think that? I've had one since the end of January.

My PSN ID has been in my profile since the day I bought it.

I don't play favorites, man, I own basically everything.

Zeliard said:

pixeljunk racers is fanastic - other than the head-bangingly difficult single-player tournament, which you have to go through to unlock multiplayer modes. multiplayer is really fun though, again: a simple idea executed near perfectly. if you have someone to play against it's easily worth it. if not, chances are you'll still get a kick - it just might be a kick to your tv screen

edit: and the demo doesn't really give you an idea of all the fun, unique modes on offer in the full game. fireballs and death races are awesome

Yoshichan

BobsRevenge said:
The co-op in Monsters is disgustingly awesome. I'm not good enough at the game just by myself to beat it! Me and my roommate played Monsters non-stop for like, two days. Good times.
Totally forgot that it had coop support... no one wanted to play Monsters with me ;( Got all rainbows alone...

BobsRevenge

Seiken said:
Totally forgot that it had coop support... no one wanted to play Monsters with me ;( Got all rainbows alone...
Damn, that's hardcore. I'm nowhere near that good at the game. :lol

I can't even get past the first part of the expansion island without my roommate helping! I need to get back to college so I can get him to help me out again.

diss

Banned
I don't know if I find it as relaxing as some of you guys are making it out to be... Mostly I'm on the edge of my seat screaming "GRIP you motherfucker" as I miss a swaying branch by millimetres and go hurtling all the way to the ground. Still feeling my way around and getting the swing of things though.

I like it though. I like it a lot. It's so simple. Simple mechanics + techno beats + bright quirky HD art style = win.

Top Bottom