• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixeljunk 1-4 trailer

TTP said:
More info

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=97046

PixelJunk™ #4 (Working Title)

Publisher: Q-Games
Developer: Q-Games
Platform: Exclusive to the PLAYSTATION®3 Computer Entertainment System
Genre: Strategic Action Shooter
Players: Single-Player, Multiplayer (Specifics TBD)
Extras: Native 1080p, Trophies, PSP Remote Play, Video Recording with YouTube Upload
Rating: “RP” for Rating Pending

Released on the PlayStation Store: Summer 2009

The piloted craft is susceptible to extremes of heat, so the player must be careful about the craft's proximity to magma. If the craft becomes too hot, the player can regain a comfortable temperature by plunging into the nearest water source. Additionally, each stage presents a puzzle scenario for the player to solve in order to safely rescue as many survivors as possible. Both environmental elements and enemies, including Bosses, will attempt to hamper the player's progress.

FEATURES

* Distinctive Visuals and Music – Features several unique stages with stylishly designed graphics and original music.
* Fluid Dynamics and Effects – The dynamic rendition of water, magma and other substances is the visual centerpiece in PixelJunk #4.
* Stages as Puzzles – Players attempt to change the terrain and environment around them to progress. It often takes strategy, planning and old-fashioned trial and error to succeed.
* Online Rankings and YouTube Uploading – Share your scores and game footage with the world.
* Rumble Support – Feel the effects when the craft bumps into the cavern's walls.
* Remote Play – Supports Remote Play for the PSP system.
* Trophy Support – PixelJunk #4 will fully support PlayStation Trophies.

Impressions

In PixelJunk 1-4, you control a little ship and you're tasked with saving a bunch of little dudes in each section of a level. When they're all either saved or dead, you progress to the next section. Your ship is controlled with the left analog stick, and though you can move anywhere you want, you need to account for inertia as your ship will drift a little when you let go of the stick.

You have two abilities at your disposal. R1 fires a missile cannon while R2 uses a grappling hook. This grappling hook it what you'll use to save the little guys scattered around the levels. You can control its direction with the right stick (which also controls your aim for the cannon), though it can only fire in a downward direction. Grab a dude with it and he'll automatically be retracted into your ship and saved. Once you've killed or saved everyone, a metal gate will open up and you can progress to the next section.

There are a few enemies that you'll find in each area, like a tank-esque thing that clings to walls and fires at you, plant-like creatures that fire other missile-esque enemy units your way, and enemies that resemble bats that come digging out of the cave walls. None of them are overly tough, at least in the four or five sections that we were able to play, but they can certainly distract you from your bigger challenge. You can also shoot some of the rock in each section, though most of the cave is indestructible.

While that setup sounds simple, and it is, the cool part about the game is that the caves are filled with pockets of water and lava, and these two elements are what set up the puzzle aspects of the game. Each respond to their environment with fluid dynamics, so if you drop something into the water or take out a piece of a wall that was holding back some of the lava, it'll flow out and drain into other parts of the level in a natural manner. Water that hits lava will cool it into destructible rock, and if lava hits one of the little dudes, they're melted into ash, and I don't think they survive that. They can, however, survive under water as they're wearing hazard suits.

We're told that water and lava are only two of the elements that you'll find in the game, though Sony and Q-Games are keeping mum on what the others might be for now.

PixelJunk 1-4 is simple, but what I've played is quite fun. If Q-Games can manage to create interesting environmental puzzles throughout the game, it could be something really cool and unique in the end.

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013303776.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013312666.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013318994.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013323978.jpg

pixeljunk-1-4-20090428013328587.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/143/14308962/imgs_1.html

http://pixeljunk.jp/namingcontest/#

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EbsMtEv2CE

Gekko87

Slightly dissapointed that it kinda looks like eden but other then that well, I was actually smiling when I was watching it :D, that doesn't happen very often with game trailers.

Pixeljunk: Igneous
Pixeljunk: Convection
Pixeljunk: Grottoes
Pixeljunk: Caverns (duh)
Pixeljunk: Kilauea --> (Hawaiian for "oozing", or "spewing out")

I doubt I'll win...

RpgN

Gekko87 said:
Slightly dissapointed that it kinda looks like eden but other then that well, I was actually smiling when I was watching it :D, that doesn't happen very often with game trailers.

I agree the interface is less original this time and not a huge departure like PJM and E, but it's a PJ game!

REMOVE THAT FUCKING LOGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goddammit, i love these games, but that logo is getting me nerveous all the time.. it´s hurting my plasma. (yes, even when you dimm it down with that good for nothing option)

game looks awesome.

SickBoy

I hope they give the winner and runners up download codes for the game, too... T-shirt and credit would be nice, but the game itself would probably be a big plus.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
More info

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=97046

PixelJunk™ #4 (Working Title)

Publisher: Q-Games
Developer: Q-Games
Platform: Exclusive to the PLAYSTATION®3 Computer Entertainment System
Genre: Strategic Action Shooter
Players: Single-Player, Multiplayer (Specifics TBD)
Extras: Native 1080p, Trophies, PSP Remote Play, Video Recording with YouTube Upload
Rating: “RP” for Rating Pending

Released on the PlayStation Store: Summer 2009

The piloted craft is susceptible to extremes of heat, so the player must be careful about the craft's proximity to magma. If the craft becomes too hot, the player can regain a comfortable temperature by plunging into the nearest water source. Additionally, each stage presents a puzzle scenario for the player to solve in order to safely rescue as many survivors as possible. Both environmental elements and enemies, including Bosses, will attempt to hamper the player's progress.

FEATURES

* Distinctive Visuals and Music – Features several unique stages with stylishly designed graphics and original music.
* Fluid Dynamics and Effects – The dynamic rendition of water, magma and other substances is the visual centerpiece in PixelJunk #4.
* Stages as Puzzles – Players attempt to change the terrain and environment around them to progress. It often takes strategy, planning and old-fashioned trial and error to succeed.
* Online Rankings and YouTube Uploading – Share your scores and game footage with the world.
* Rumble Support – Feel the effects when the craft bumps into the cavern's walls.
* Remote Play – Supports Remote Play for the PSP system.
* Trophy Support – PixelJunk #4 will fully support PlayStation Trophies.

1.png

More pics at link

Dizzan

MINI Member
BeeDog said:
Looks bloody amazing, and best of all: I can't see a timer wooooooooOO!

Pixeljunk: shooter
Pixeljunk: mines
Pixeljunk:e
Pixeljunk: yard
Pixeljunk: turd
Pixeljunk: MVP

I passed on eden after I didnt click with the demo but mosters was cool and this looks great.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That looks sooo cool.

In the trailer though, I didn't see too much reason to solidify the magma? Asides from getting rid of magma that might overheat your craft?

Like, do survivors move? If so, does solidifying magma open up new routes for them to move across or ..? I'm not sure if I'm fully getting the point of that mechanic.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
That looks sooo cool.

In the trailer though, I didn't see too much reason to solidify the magma? Asides from getting rid of magma that might overheat your craft?

Like, do survivors move? If so, does solidifying magma open up new routes for them to move across or ..? I'm not sure if I'm fully getting the point of that mechanic.

Give them time and all will be explained. I assume.

mclem

It depends exactly how the controls pan out, but right now it looks like it's Gravitar/Thrust/Solar Jetman!

Okay, with a rather cool-looking water/magma mechanic, too.

Cautiously optimistic. The caution largely being because Thrust-like games often drive me crazy.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mclem said:
It depends exactly how the controls pan out, but right now it looks like it's Gravitar/Thrust/Solar Jetman!

Okay, with a rather cool-looking water/magma mechanic, too.

Cautiously optimistic. The caution largely being because Thrust-like games often drive me crazy.

My basic controls guess:

Rotate ship with left stick
Thrust with X
Fire with Square
Release "grappling hook" with right stick (a la Eden Encore Spider Controls)

Edit: actually I don't think gravity affects the ship too much.

haowan

Water looks like it's moving a bit slowly but that's probably for gameplay reasons. Lovely stuff, hope the shooting isn't too annoying; the controls seem to be dual-analogue so that is probably fine. Good going. Looking forward to it. Great fluids work too, must be nice to have the power of the PS3 to do this stuff :)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Obviously, day fucking one. It looks to be sort of like lemmings where you're cooling or getting rid of magma so NPCs can get to the exit/goal.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
sykoex said:
Obviously, day fucking one. It looks to be sort of like lemmings where you're cooling or getting rid of magma so NPCs can get to the exit/goal.

They seem to stand still and you pick them up with someking of grappling hook.

Tiktaalik

This looks really rad. It kinda seems extremely old school game in scope, like an Atari game. The way that it looks like you're picking up people while doing other tasks reminds me of Choplifter.

Top Bottom