• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixeljunk 1-4 trailer

Goldrusher

For the new page:

3561310599_ab35b36535.jpg

The lucky winner, picked from a hat of about 8 other people who voted for the same name, is Mario Paquet from Canada! We chose the name because: 1) it’s simple, 2) it describes the main thing you do in the game, and 3) it makes a great logo!

The other runner-up names were:

PixelJunk Depths - Thomas Ella
PixelJunk Atlantis - Takuhiro Hara
PixelJunk Caves - Chi Lo
PixelJunk Blaster - Edward Stumpfel
PixelJunk S.O.S! - Derrick Kross

The most popular name suggested by a long shot was PixelJunk Elements, but we decided that it didn’t capture the shooting side of the game well enough and at the worst people might think it was a game about the weather.

“Depths” almost became the chosen name but our producer at Sony Santa Monica, Deborah Mars, sounded like she had a lisp when she said it, so we dropped that one early on. We needed to choose a name everyone can enunciate. ;-)

Full article: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/25/pixeljunk-1-4-drumroll-please-…/

jmd494

Fail...stupid name...so generic.

Seriously, to anyone who doesn't know what this game is, "Shooter" is going to evoke soooooo the wrong image.

People are going to be picturing WWII and machine guns.

Ugh...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, it is technically their only game where you shoot, but really when looking at the trailer of this game, shooting was the last thing on my mind. I almost forgot that you actually do any shooting in it, that's how much more eye catching all the lava and water stuff was.

Atlantis was a really nice name for this actually. Brings an immediate mental image of water and destruction, which is what the trailer was all about.

Thats the fucking worst name out of all of them. Thats awful.

Why even bother having the contest if theyre going to settle for something utterly shit like "Shooter". Might as well have just called it PixelJunk Game.

Patches to rename their previous titles to PixelJunk Tower Defense and PixelJunk Plant-Based-Platformer on their way!

Haunted

wow, they actually took the worst possible choice? didn't expect that from q. those guys are usually at the top of their game.

Geo or Strata (my personal favourites), or hell, every single one of their runner-ups would have been far superior choices. boggles the mind.

eh whatever, I'll still get Pixeljunk 1-4 day 1.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Thats the fucking worst name out of all of them. Thats awful.

Why even bother having the contest if theyre going to settle for something utterly shit like "Shooter". Might as well have just called it PixelJunk Game.

Patches to rename their previous titles to PixelJunk Tower Defense and PixelJunk Plant-Based-Platformer on their way!

On my friend's ipod touch. I wish I knew how to quote your avatar :lol

Haunted said:
Eden > Racers > Monsters
Fuck no. Don't blatantly lie to this poor man.

Eden and Monsters are amazing games. Racers....not so much. There is a demo for Racers and Eden, not sure about Monsters though. Give them a spin.

EktorPR

Am I the only one happy with the name choice?

It's simple.

It states the main gameplay element of the game.

The logo makes it look as it has a deeper meaning to it...or maybe it's only me. :lol

DuckRacer

That's a ridiculously horrible name. :lol
Keikoku said:
So what is the best pixeljunk game ? I'm thinking about picking up Eden.
They all have demos, download them all since your opinion's going to be the best for you. I personally didn't like Racers or Eden, but I liked Monsters (not enough to buy it since I have other TD games to play). Other people's opinions are wildly different, though.

jmd494

EktorPR said:

It's simple.

It states the main gameplay element of the game.

The logo makes it look as it has a deeper meaning to it...or maybe it's only me. :lol
You know what else features the same "gamesplay element"? Killzone 2, Gears of War, Uncharted, and Megaman. None of them are called "Shooter" because that name is asinine.

Donos

maybe it was a (poor) marketing decision. Somebody who don't know anything about Pixeljunk games see's this in PSN and buy's it just because of the name.
Our luck that Eden wasn't named "Jumper" or something else.... but REALLY ??? shooter ?????? out the list this is by far the worst.

*Pixeljunk just shot themselves in the foot...*

Haunted

Everything would've been better. Hell, they could've called this Pixeljunk Vagina and they wouldn't have gotten that much negative feedback.

/PA reference

No_Style said:
I'm sure you meant to say that.
shagg_187 said:
Monster is awesome!!!!! Better than racers IMO
Blu_LED said:
Fuck no. Don't blatantly lie to this poor man.

Eden and Monsters are amazing games. Racers....not so much. There is a demo for Racers and Eden, not sure about Monsters though. Give them a spin.
Monsters is one of the worst fucking games I've ever played.
I fucking hate Tower Defense games with a passion, though, so I might be biased.
:p

Racers is neat, but no comparison to the Eden Experience™.

EktorPR said:
Yes, you are the only one. The name is bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
They could have called it Pixel Junk Baby Cave Spelunk and it would have been better. Shooter falls flat given how unimaginative it is.

abombb

Banned
The title is pretty good imo, becasue it's pretty straightforward and shows what you do in the game, shoot. Pixel Junk isn't known for over the top names anyway.

jmd494

Posted at PSBlog too:

They should really reconsider…but they won’t.

Because to them, all these posts sound like bitter tears.

But they’re not…the names really suck.

Just changed my RSVP in the "Pixeljunk 1-4 sells one million at launch!" to Not Attending on their Facebook page.

:lol
Fuck you, Q Games! My name was better!

I'll probably still end up buying it

Top Bottom