• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: What will be more successful? Solo: a Star Wars Story or Thor: the Dark World

What will be more successful? Solo: a Star Wars Story or Thor: the Dark World

• Solo: a Star Wars Story

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Thor: the Dark World

Votes: 43 64.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lupingosei

Banned
Both movies have a similar score on RT: Thor 66% and Solo 69%

Thor made 645 million worldwide. Solo has to make at least 600 million to cover the costs.

China is already out for Solo. It will probably only contribute 10-15 million.

So who will win?

pramod

Banned
I wish I have the option to pay a few bucks just to see the parts with Lando, but otherwise pass.

Sapiens

69%? Glad the real reviews are starting to come in. All the shills who got early access made this out to seem like it was an A+.

It will make money, but I really don't think audiences are excited for a Han Solo impersonator. I'm not. Everything about it just seems very Ron Howard in his play it safe, workman mode.

I was looking forward to 23 Space Jump Street, but I guess Disney wanted a "classic."

solo because of nostalgia. I think RLM liked it for example. Or at least one person from RLM did.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think Solo will come out on top because of SW brand, but personally I haven’t heard anyone talk about wanting to see it in real life.

Lupingosei

Banned
If this does not incredibly well in the US, this might be the first Star Wars movie losing money. I just talked to a friend at a local theater and checked online and the late showings of Solo today are empty. It is a Star Wars movie, it is starting this weekend and theaters are empty.

BANGS

Banned
Honestly, Han Solo isn't even that great of a character. Not sure why people are all up in arms about an "imposter" when Han is just kinda cool, nothing really all that special... I feel like they're just afraid this kid will do it better...

But it's still star wars, idiots like me will still go see it because we're fans and can't help ourselves. Meanwhile superhero fatigue is setting in hard this year. I'm betting on Solo.

mrkgoo

I saw it last night.

Was kinda surprised at how empty the theatre was.

Overall I was a bit meh about it. It was competent is about all I can say. Didn't buy it was Han until near the end, although I think that deserves some credit.

Lando was fantastic and Chewie is a charm, because they actually felt kind of authentic (And I'm not a stickler for that sort of thing being that important).

Overall I just didn't really engage with the plot. I found some parts to be confusing, but ultimately I was left wonderingly why that story needed to be told.

Also couldn't shake the feeling that you know the outcome of the each charcters, and thus was just following the motions, and nearly all the other characters were boring as hell. The droid was great, however.

KINGMOKU

I passed on solo as soon as current political themes seemed to leak their way into the film. That may sound in poor taste but I started hearing buzz words(pansexual) leading up to release or during and just sighed and decided to stay home.

I want to escape from current societal themes and political jargon, not hear about it before I go see a space film from a galaxy far far away.

This is coming from someone who has an absurd collection of star wars collectibles from my childhood, and first run toys from the prequels.

It may also stem from the fact that I walked out of the last jedi(just garbage) before it finished. I never thought that would happen.

Of all the new films, I enjoyed rouge one the most. Brilliant performance from the lead actress.

Han Soylo is crashing the Millenial Falcon with no survivors.
My local IMAX (in Europe) has three reserved seats for Saturday's latest showing. Same showing of Rogue One played to a full audience, not only on Saturday but every night for at least two weeks.

pramod

Banned
What I don't understand is why with all the advances in de-aging CGI they couldn't have just cast Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams to reprise their roles.

I mean they already did a CGI Tarkin and Leia this would seem like the next logical step. Would it just be too expensive?

DiscoJer

I don't think either of them are box office draws though. Meanwhile Donald Glover just had a huge youtube hit and the doofus they got to play Han, well, I dunno.

But I never got the logic of the movie in the first place: Let's kill off a favorite character so we can then make a prequel movie with him, only using a different actor.

You want to make Han Solo a brand, then don't kill him off.

Last edited:

mrkgoo

So it's basically Rogue One... great...
Eh, I loved Rogue One, so I guess your mileage may vary.

What I don't understand is why with all the advances in de-aging CGI they couldn't have just cast Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams to reprise their roles.

I mean they already did a CGI Tarkin and Leia this would seem like the next logical step. Would it just be too expensive?

I imagine it's just a lot of effort. Not to mention Harrison Ford seemed to be pretty done with the character.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Obviously...

Easkofy.jpg

BANGS

Banned
Eh, I loved Rogue One, so I guess your mileage may vary.
Rogue One has a handful of good actions scenes and nothing else for me... and for a movie called Rogue One you'd think there'd be alot more dogfighting in it. It was such a disappointment to me, although the ending was great at least. All these awful characters are erased from existence while the real star wars character has a glorious action scene. But until that point it just felt like a cheesy generic war movie with a star wars skin...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I love the way that following Box Office performance has become a “Vegas Betting” kind of thing.

It actually seems ripe for legitimate betting considering people betting can have such little influence on the actual box office numbers and there’s clearly an audience of people who actively believe they can predict somethings performance.

Kadayi

Banned
I suspect from a legacy perspective Solo will do ok, however, whether it's profitable will really depend on the associated costs of the troubled production. If the talk is true that the budget was upward of $250 million plus the global marketing costs on top........it's going to need to do really well to make it into the black.

Last edited:
Han Soylo is crashing the Millenial Falcon with no survivors.
My local IMAX (in Europe) has three reserved seats for Saturday's latest showing. Same showing of Rogue One played to a full audience, not only on Saturday but every night for at least two weeks.

19 now. Fucking Dark Tower had more lmao. They had a disclaimer for that one as it wasn't mastered for IMAX, just ate Dunkirk's screen because of contracts... And it still did better on a Saturday night than Solo.

Alien Covenant played to a full house on a Sunday afternoon, most of it reserved in advance. At this time, Solo has 14 reservations.

kunonabi

Solo might not even make 100 million for the 4 day weekend domestically so Thor: TDW seems like a lock at this point.

OH-MyCar

I think Solo, just because of the relative strength of the Star Wars franchise to what Thor was at that time.

That said, the fact that we're even having this conversation is amazing. So I guess we're going to double down on a "nobody wants this movie" narrative rather than accept that more than just a handful of "racist/sexist internet trolls" outright hated TLJ? This is the first Star Wars since the first Ewoks movie I didn't catch on day 1 (nor 2, 3, 4... etc) and it's entirely due to the fact that I don't feel like giving Disney any more money after TLJ. If I truly loved TLJ and respected what Disney is doing with this franchise, they could've casted Pootie Tang as Han for all I care. After all, I grew up with the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I can handle multiple young actors pretending to be Harrison Ford.

Edit: #65 of all time!
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
My goodness has this film been shit on.

Easily the best out of the new movies. Easily. Felt very Star Wars. Funny, corny, great action and spectacle and a great setup for sequels. I went in expecting this to be terrible and it was a great star wars movie. Don’t get fooled by the hate. Last Jedi was a disappointment after force awakens though I’ll agree on that.

pramod

Banned
Rumors are leaking out that Solo will have a sub-100 Memorial Weekend.

What a disaster if true. Looks like The Last Jedi has really killed Star Wars.

Hissing Sid

Hey all, you know that beloved 80’s Star Wars movie character that we turned into a deadbeat and killed off recently?....

No, not Luke, the other one.

Yeah that’s right, Han.

....Well we’ve made this film about his younger days and cast Michael J Pollard in the starring role.

Please be excited.

Guys....?

Hey, Guys....?

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
This movie is a nuclear meltdown. I just checked and theaters today are almost empty. It is the Sunday after the launch and nobody is watching this movie.

If the actual numbers in the US are really half of what Disney projected and it crashes like it seems to do in Europe, this will send shockwaves to Hollywood unlike anything in the last few years.

I think I should change the poll to Ready Player One instead of Thor: the Dark World

The trailer for Solo was better than the entirety of episode 7 and 8. That's what I can say so far.

The Darth Vader scene at the end of Rogue One would be better as a movie than both TFA and TLJ, although I have a fondness for TFA minus perfect Rey who is stronger than every force sensitive, ever.

Rey beating Kylo Ren at the end of TFA was very off putting, but boy did the movie start strong! The Star Killer Base destroying planets lent to a strong movie with weak reasoning.

The Last Jedi was a fucking mess. One of the main reasons I threw money at this garbage was because I was insane for Snoke!
They tore him in half like a sandwich and cast him aside like mushy feces under a sweltering desert sun. I was livid.
They killed Luke and defecated on his legacy and now green milk is a meme that will always commemorate that.

Rey needed to doubt herself and figure things out and be trained. The movies lacked all of that. They didn't build her very well at all and it's a shame too, because I really do want to like her character.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don't get why you'd start releasing multiple movies of the same franchise per year. Wait a year between releases at minimum. You risk oversaturating the market.

Imagine if they got rid of Canto Bight entirely, as a scene and used the time to instead focus on Rey being TRAINED by Luke? That would have been great. But I guess that would be too cliche and make too much sense.

GoldenEye98 GoldenEye98
While Star Wars is a hot piece of money making property, even it can suffer from fatigue.
I'm very much interested in seeing how they will handle Episode IX. I don't plan to see it in theaters, though. Unless... Snoke returns or Luke somehow returns. Seeing as that is unlikely, I probably won't see it till it hits blu.

OH-MyCar

Rumors are leaking out that Solo will have a sub-100 Memorial Weekend.

What a disaster if true. Looks like The Last Jedi has really killed Star Wars.

"Let the past die! Kill it if you have to!". TLJ subverted our expectations yet again by going full meta.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm off all week and have MoviePass, so I could easily see this and not pay anything for it. I just don't feel that excited about it. TLJ was weak and this is coming a few month after. I feel it would have been better if they had more time between the movies.

Hissing Sid

Bet the peeps who paid for the merchandising rights for this are sweating.

Buh, buh it’s Star Wars! It prints Monay!!!

pramod

Banned
I don't think either of them are box office draws though. Meanwhile Donald Glover just had a huge youtube hit and the doofus they got to play Han, well, I dunno.

But I never got the logic of the movie in the first place: Let's kill off a favorite character so we can then make a prequel movie with him, only using a different actor.

You want to make Han Solo a brand, then don't kill him off.

I think you nailed it. I feel like Disney or whoever is in charge (Kathleen Kennedy?) is just making these SW movies with no care about what is actually IN these movies. On one hand you are making movies where you kill off or denigrate classic characters like Han and Luke while telling the SW fans to "let the past die", and on the other hand you are expecting them to hang on to the past and still be excited about these origin stories of those characters. What do you really want from us, Disney?

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

If you're an old fan really into the schadenfreude with this (like I am), these Reddit posts are a great place to lurk to get an insight to what a colossal ditch they've driven the franchise into in such a short time.

Potentially a lower worldwide gross than Warcraft. Goddamn.

Lower opening than JUST League. Will it beat Independence Day: Resurgence?

Now I sort of regret not watching history in cinemas, but it looks so boring...

I'm more interested in seeing Solo's final 10 minutes because I heard a certain Sith Lord makes an appearance within that time frame.

Edit: Thor: The Dark World smashes Solo for sure.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's kinda weird though for me because while I think they should have 1 year intervals between films to prevent Star Wars fatigue...it boggles my mind how superhero movies are still going strong for what seems to be a decade now. I think I have had fatigue of those since about 2012. While I enjoy some of them they are extremely formulaic imo and I don't see how people are not tiring of them..

mrkgoo

Spoiler-free, I'm just gonna say there are couple of trespasse to the characters of Han Solo in the new movie that I think are "there-was-no-father" immaculate conception/midichlorians explaining force sensitivity/"I hate sand" level cringe-worthy bad.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
My friend when describing Solo: “It’s fun. But it’s above-ground-pool fun. In other words, you wouldn’t buy a house for it.”

lol. What a crazy analogy. But it’s kinda true. The second act with the big chase scene (you know the one) was awesome. And then there’s the surprise character cameo that will go nowhere now that we know this movie bombed. And that is just NUTS to leave that plot thread hanging.

I don't think that cameo was for a sequel. In episode 4 Han says he saw many things in his travels but nothing to make him believe in the Force.

graffix13

I decided to boycott everything Lucasfilm after that trash that was TLJ. Happy to see others like me are making noise.

Fire KK and I will return. Until then, Star Wars is dead to me.

manfestival

It's kinda weird though for me because while I think they should have 1 year intervals between films to prevent Star Wars fatigue...it boggles my mind how superhero movies are still going strong for what seems to be a decade now. I think I have had fatigue of those since about 2012. While I enjoy some of them they are extremely formulaic imo and I don't see how people are not tiring of them..
they work kinda like comic books themselves. they are all intertwined but arent actually a major tie in till big events (avengers movies and civil war). Otherwise they are their own stories continued. Far more interesting than the star wars linear story telling

pramod

Banned
I think the MCU has changed the game. They've raised the bar so high when it comes to action, world and character building that Star Wars is having problems competing. I think gone are the days when Lucasfilm can just throw in a mediocre script with some decent set pieces and expect to make a billion dollars.

Top Bottom