• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster, New Details from the Dev Diaries. Public alpha release March 2016

Mik2121

That's the only video I've seen and the only one I'll see about this. It has more stuff than I already expected (rides and the hidden cheat code!).
This should make creating better themed parks quite a lot of fun! Wonder when will this release tomorrow. With the time difference, I hope they release during the morning or midday over there so I can grab it as soon as I get home from work.

While I can wait, I wonder when will the update for micromanagement come. Right now for the shops you just place them, and I assume that's the same for the rides, etc.. but I guess sometime down the line we'll be able to set prices and whatnot.

Pachimari

I have only seen that tutorial video from today, and the entrance video. And a stream last year. I need this alpha now.

Oh yeah, they need to add the possibility of setting prices.

ekim

Yeah without MM the game won't have any real appeal. I really hope omitting that stuff for this alpha doesn't mean it won't be in the final game.

Mikeside

Yeah without MM the game won't have any real appeal. I really hope omitting that stuff for this alpha doesn't mean it won't be in the final game.

No, it definitely doesn't mean that, but they'll want all the building customisation tools to be well in place before they develop all the micro-management etc

ekim

No, it definitely doesn't mean that, but they'll want all the building customisation tools to be well in place before they develop all the micro-management etc

I don't doubt you but do you have a source? Would love to read up on this. :)

Micromanagement and finances are the most important thing to me. I dont want another skylines where everything is about building nice cities

I love what im seeing, but i hope the micromanagement is just as good

Mikeside

just that everything they're saying is about it being a real simulation, so I don't expect they'll want to leave out the bare minimum of what we should expect

Ride settings, prices, details about vendors - all this stuff was in RCT3, so I'll be hugely surprised if they don't have it.

The only thing I'm worried about is that it doesn't really look possible to create a plaza with walkways - in RCT3, I really enjoyed making parks with big plaza-hubs on different themes with shops and rides sporadically placed around & plenty of scenery peppered in. I hope that's going to be possible again!

Gigarator

Well, I've been holding out of the early access until they spilled the beans on what would be in it, now that they have I've gone and taken the plunge. Very much looking forward to seeing what can be done with the creation tools and looking at the intricacies of the ride detail.

I'm so glad Frontier are making this, I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I've spent on RCT3 over the years but performance-wise that game was terrible once your parks got too big. Kinda hoping that won't be a stumbling block with this game too but time will tell.

Theres actually a video in the last page I posted with Jonny Watts talking about the management part of the game.

Is deeper than in RCT2 and 3, making scenery and ride decoration important for attracting more visitors. They also created a simulation tool that reads every ride, shop and piece of scenery to attract the guests, and of course make you win more money to build a better theme park.

The failure of management in RCT3 was because of how the AI of families and groups worked, they already resolved this problem from the start (was the first dev diary), so the typical management tools will work much better this time around. Full queues, people having food and souvenirs, etc...

ekim

Theres actually a video in the last page I posted with Jonny Watts talking about the management part of the game.

Is deeper than in RCT2 and 3, making scenery and ride decoration important for attracting more visitors. They also created a simulation tool that reads every ride, shop and piece of scenery to attract the guests, and of course make you win more money to build a better theme park.

The failure of management in RCT3 was because of how the AI of families and groups worked, they already resolved this problem from the start (was the first dev diary), so the typical management tools will work much better this time around. Full queues, people having food and souvenirs, etc...

I watched that video and I appreciate that approach but I love me some stats and being able to invest money into staff and manage all the prices.

I watched that video and I appreciate that approach but I love me some stats and being able to invest money into staff and manage all the prices.

Thats obviously also in the game. Its has always been a big part in the own older games, no way they are taking it out.

Theres staff, staff can be overworked (older RCTs didnt have that), you have to put prices in your food stalls and merchandise, that money goes to you to keep imporving your park.

We still dont know if they are going with the theme park pricing system, having only entrance price, with food and merchandise you will also need to pay, or they are giving the option, like in older RCTs, of having guest also having to pay for rides.

ekim

Thats obviously also in the game. Its has always been a big part in the own older games, no way they are taking it out.

Theres staff, staff can be overworked (older RCTs didnt have that), you have to put prices in your food stalls and merchandise, that money goes to you to keep imporving your park.

We still dont know if they are going with the theme park pricing system, having only entrance price, with food and merchandise you will also need to pay, or they are giving the option, like in older RCTs, of having guest also having to pay for rides.

That sounds more than good. :)

Edit: staff can be overworked? Cool

Fat Goron

HOW?

HOW.... I mean.... this game looks and feels like it has a much higher budget (and development time) than it could realistically have.....

I can't.

Top Bottom