• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

I see continent locking is going live, perhaps I'll install the new client
(and play after the next hotfix)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Patch notes
The notes in italic parentheses are additional information from your Community Manager and may not be representative of the intent of its preceding patch note.

New Continent! Hossin:

“------//// Deputy Director’s Journal, June 26th, 2859 ////--------

With some unfortunate losses, our mission to Hossin was a success. As expected, the swamp was totally devoid of any humans; NC or otherwise. We experienced some unforeseen setbacks after helplessly watching our pilot transferred into a Galaxy that spawned- and instantly exploded- into the unkempt overgrowth of the swamp. Without the resources to recalibrate the spawn matrix for the terminals, I made the decision to proceed to our given location on foot. Unfortunately, the Vanu apparently left their entire stock of proximity mines at every chokepoint leading up to the manual override for the Rebirth network. With two of us down from stomping on proxy mines, EOD Hud was mandatory in loadouts until we got out of the place.

Resetting the system was surprisingly uneventful finish. No big generator spooling up, massive explosions or anything of note. The Board contacted us moments afterwards confirming that Hossin’s Rebirth indicator was back online; mission successful. Just a quick redeploy after confirmation and Sigma Squad managed to finish our only a few hours into overtime.

The day was wrapped up with a pat on the back (verbal, of course) from my bosses and the beginning of a new chapter in Auraxis’ history. Witnessing the first actual deaths on Auraxis in nearly a decade was rough, but hopefully the loss of their lives was not in vain. When The Board activates the warpgates tomorrow morning, the NC can begin taking back what was once our home.

Alyss Rodriguez, Deputy Director, New Conglomerate”

Explore a brand new continent with over 80 new bases in a brand new biome.
This is an Early Expedition. Read about what that means in this post from Creative Director Matt Higby:

Continent Locking:
Continents can now be locked to a conquering empire in one of two ways:
Dominate the continent by owning at least 94% of the territory
Win an alert
When a continent locks, the conquering empire automatically captures all remaining regions on the continent
All players on the locked continent will be prompted to redeploy to another continent.
A maximum of 2 continents can be locked at any one time.
Whenever a continent is locked the oldest existing locked continent will automatically unlock.
A Continent Benefit is now only active while the continent is locked.
Continent Benefits have changed:
Amerish gives -50% Infantry Purchases (up from -10% Aerospace Purchases)
Esamir gives -50% Mechanized Purchases (up from -10% Mechanized Purchases)
Indar gives -50% Aerospace Purchases (up from -10% Infantry Purchases)
Hossin gives +25% XP (new) (It's almost like we want you to play there!)
To accommodate continent locking, Global Alerts have been removed from the game, meaning every alert is now specific to a continent
When a continent is unlocked the warpgates on that continent will rotate, and territory will be reset to a default starting configuration for each warpgate. (Tired of your warpgate location? Now you can fix it)
Warpgates will no longer rotate every other week and are now exclusively rotated via continent locking.

Outfits Recruiting:
Do you run an outfit? Looking for some new blood? List your outfit in the brand new recruiting system.
Are you looking to join an outfit? Want to meet some new friends? Find an outfit to join in the brand new recruiting system.
To list your outfit go to the outfit screen and there is a Manage Recruitment button.
To view recruiting outfits, go to the outfits button on the social tab. On the main page is a button to find an outfit.

Outfit Decals:
Your outfit can now select a decal to represent yourselves.
Purchase Infantry or Vehicle Outfit decals in their Depot categories for 100 SC or 250 Certs
Equip like a normal decal. If you’re in an outfit and the outfit has a decal selected, the decal will display as the selected decal. (How many times can we say decal? You'd be surprised!)
If you’re not in an outfit, the decal will not display. (So just join and stay in an outfit already)

Outfit Base Capture:
When your outfit captures a base your outfit’s decal will be displayed on the faction banners at the base, on the scoreboard, and on the map. (We got tired of some of you "marking" the map. Infantry are provided latrines).
An outfit is recognized as being the captors by being the highest scoring outfit during the base’s capture
For now, this score is simply the cumulative score of the outfit members that participated in the base capture (i.e. the scores that are displayed on the scoreboard). (If you are bad at math, just have everyone try harder ok?)

Misc:
The descriptions on the Medical Applicator now list the hotkeys required for healing and reviving. (Some of you were just mashing 5 keys and getting lucky).
Adjusted ranges of “Enter Vehicle” and “Equipment Terminal” interactions on Sunderer.
Change reduces overlap and is intended to reduce the chances of accidentally triggering the interaction you don’t want.
When the vehicle is deployed, you will need to get closer to the terminal and closer to the vehicle.
When the vehicle is undeployed there should be no change in the enter vehicle interaction.
A lattice link has been added between TI Alloys and Ceres Hydroponics on Indar.

Bug Fixes:
Desynch fix for multiple situations. (This should improve a number of issues some of you have been reporting but poor accuracy is still in your hands)
Fixed focus issues with the chat window after hitting escape.
Fixed an issue where thermal optics for the Dual-75 Duster were not set up like other belly guns.
The TR Honeycomb camo will now scale correctly.
Updated the descriptions for Liberator belly weapons to be more accurate with recent changes.
The unpurchasable magazine size certification should no longer appear for the Hyena Missile Launcher. (In this particular case, size didn't matter)
Camo will now apply correctly to the Bruiser Plating and Scrapper Vanguard attachments.
Kills caused by explosions will no longer grant double experience. (This doesn't mean you should stop doing it because come on...it's entertaining right?)
Equipping the Ammunition Package during a weapon reload will no longer skip the reload animation.
Adjusted the Ammunition Package so that it it less likely to continuously shake when thrown on uneven terrain. (See? You thought you were just really nervous.)
Fixed an issue where tank reverse turning speed would change when toggling the ‘Invert Reverse Steering for Tanks’ option. (We really can't make this stuff up....)

Woorloog

Banned
Hossin looks nice (as much as it can with low graphics, i have many old games that look much, much better than PS2 on low graphics) but it also requires more juice than the other continents. Not a big difference but enough.
Basically, i can't play there. Amerish was a map i couldn't play before either.
And with two continents locked out, my choices are, at the moment, Indar and Hossin, and Indar's population is very low on NC's side... and probably on all sides. This is on Cobalt.

Spazznid

Hossin looks nice (as much as it can with low graphics, i have many old games that look much, much better than PS2 on low graphics) but it also requires more juice than the other continents. Not a big difference but enough.
Basically, i can't play there. Amerish was a map i couldn't play before either.
And with two continents locked out, my choices are, at the moment, Indar and Hossin, and Indar's population is very low on NC's side... and probably on all sides. This is on Cobalt.

That's more of a problem with your computer than the game. While I agree that the engine is a bit of a hog, you can't expect everything to run smoothly on outdated hardware.

Woorloog

Banned
That's more of a problem with your computer than the game. While I agree that the engine is a bit of a hog, you can't expect everything to run smoothly on outdated hardware.

Ah but every other continent runs well enough (meaning some dips in bigger battles and otherwise smoothly), Hossin has drops even in smaller battles. Either the continent is still unoptimized, or its object count is simply so high (trees). Amerish used to ran like Hossin now for me.
I do have weak hardware for this game but when there's one place that's an issue...
GPU limited by the way, before the first performance update i was CPU limited more often than GPU limited.

EDIT of course, it is possible the battles were simply much bigger than i normally get elsewhere, given Hossin is so new. Will keep monitoring the situation.

So I just downloaded this after having tons of fun with Team Fortress 2. Wanted to see what other free to play FPSes there are on Steam. I'm gonna start it up tonight. The game looks really fun! And sort of what I think Destiny is going to look like?

I'm going to hop into this for the first time in a while. Are there any good guides or videos on recommended certs and weapons? I assume a ton has changed since I used to play a lot (over a year ago).

So I just downloaded this after having tons of fun with Team Fortress 2. Wanted to see what other free to play FPSes there are on Steam. I'm gonna start it up tonight. The game looks really fun! And sort of what I think Destiny is going to look like?

Solid walkthrough here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URIu143Si3w

I don't know much about Destiny, but other than the sci-fi setting, I would think they're almost completely different.

Zona

Welcome! The best analogy I can make is that the games a massive version of BF conquest mode + Territory control. My recommendation is to join a open squad once you figure out the controls. The ingame VOIP is decent so if you have a mic don't be afraid to use it to ask questions. I'm on Emerald VS if you want to shoot a friend request, Character name Zonas.

Mupod

Jesus I thought about jumping back into this game (last played in Jan 2013) but for some reason it runs like total ass now. I used to get great and very stable framerates even in huge battles with my 2500k/GTX580, but now I'm getting sub-20 in the spawn room even with settings turned down. And my 580 is significantly overclocked vs what it was when I last played (no, it's not overheating). What did they do to the game to make it run like this, I thought they were optimizing it as part of the PS4 plans?

edit: nevermind, noticed I had bad fps in everything, rebooted my PC and I'm getting 55-60 in planetside again. Still, was hoping the game would run significantly better after all the optimization promises they were making when I was still playing.

Mupod

Finally got my new SSD so I plopped this onto it and played for the first time since early January 2013. I'm completely terrible now but some things came back to me quickly. My character is BR64, mostly dirty money by terrorizing NC with my Magrider at the Crown during a big double XP event. I'm Vanu on Emerald, I don't know if I'm going to play some more but I might look for an outfit if I do.

Anyways, first thing I did was hop back into the Magrider. Doesn't feel too different. I noticed people recommending the Racer chassis but I always used Rival before and it's maxed. I still can't see why I'd want Racer over faster strafe and better hill climbing.

The only fight I participated in was the big boring one-sided zergfest I used to avoid, but I was just getting a handle on the controls so whatever. After killing some random dudes I died to some stuff I didn't recognize, which I believe may have been the engineer AV turret (which didn't exist in my day). My VPC cannon seems super weak and they TOTALLY changed the Saron...you'd think they would refund people if they fundamentally changed it to be effectively a different weapon.

Did they ever make both enhanced optics useful for vehicles? I have...uh...the green one on everything. I remember it being so essential that I basically held it down all the time.

As for infantry - not sure what I should take on a Vanu HA. Nanoweave and Resist Shield were no-brainers in my time, but it looks like Nano got refunded along with my vehicle acquisition timers. For weapons it looks like I was working on the SVA-88 when I stopped playing and it's almost at Auraxium. I have some other guns still, but I guess I'll need to try them out to figure out if I should upgrade them.

On the subject of upgrades I came back to see over 5000 certs and 5000sc, the latter was from a triple SC sale. It seems I bought a ton of 7 day boosts too. So I could probably kit myself out pretty well, I dunno if there's any bundles I should be looking at. I have the basic stuff that was important back in the day but it seems like MAXes got changed a bit so I'd maybe like to get some stuff for that.

Is Gaf still playing this game ? I was thinking about trying it. I heard the shooting is very satisfying, which is important to me. This leaves the other aspects of the game, which I've wanted to try for myself.

Menthuss

Is Gaf still playing this game ? I was thinking about trying it. I heard the shooting is very satisfying, which is important to me. This leaves the other aspects of the game, which I've wanted to try for myself.

Wanted to know the same thing. Played the game for quite a while but eventually just stopped. Want to get back into the game and being to play with fellow Gaffers would be great (I'm in Miller btw).

Didn't expect to see this thread bumped. But yeah, I still play almost every day (NC Emerald). Balance issues have made the past few weeks incredibly frustrating though.

Yep, still play this with my clan.

Mainly coasting while we wait for the construction system to come out, but it's STILL GOT IT. No other game like it.

Unless, of course, BF5 is 2143. EA can count me out on buying future BF games unless DICE LA takes over development, because I've got no idea what the hell's going on at DICE Sweden these past few years.

BTW. Any volunteers for a new OT once the Construction System is out? I'd do it, but I got juniored. Other MMOs get new OTs for major updates, I'd say Planetside is just as deserving.

Lonestar

I would like to get into this game again. Had a blast for the year or so I played it solidly. Any video on what this construction system is like?

Still remembered the game from before the Lattace system. Scarred Mesa Skydock or Bust.

Just popping back in, played on Indar for about hour-hour and a half or so. Construction seems interesting so far. I haven't really paid attention while it was in test, so I went in with no idea how it would work. But it seems like the generators that get deployed (called HIVES) generate points over time, and after you generate enough points you get a VP towards locking the continent. It looks like the further away from your warpgate the HIVE is, the better it is at generating points and each faction can have up to 5 HIVEs running at once.

The general perk of this whole thing is that I basically spent all my time fighting outside of a regular base. There was a pretty good fight in that empty space in the south cliff between Tarwich and the southeast warpgate.

I'll play more tonight to get a better feel of how it all works, but so far I'm liking what I see.

I think we need to get a thread up in the normal forum for this so people are made aware.

This thing is the Game-Changer Planetside 2 needed.

Lonestar

Just popping back in, played on Indar for about hour-hour and a half or so. Construction seems interesting so far. I haven't really paid attention while it was in test, so I went in with no idea how it would work. But it seems like the generators that get deployed (called HIVES) generate points over time, and after you generate enough points you get a VP towards locking the continent. It looks like the further away from your warpgate the HIVE is, the better it is at generating points and each faction can have up to 5 HIVEs running at once.

The general perk of this whole thing is that I basically spent all my time fighting outside of a regular base. There was a pretty good fight in that empty space in the south cliff between Tarwich and the southeast warpgate.

I'll play more tonight to get a better feel of how it all works, but so far I'm liking what I see.

Now this sounds like a good thing. You had to just randomly run into large platoons (with your own platoons) while in between outposts, to see some of that "regular terrain fighting" stuff.

They cut a handful of bases out of Indar and modified a bunch others. I don't think they touched the other continents, but it might behoove them to remove even more. I could see a future where its only the large bases, and then a handful of the towers/3-point outposts in-between.

Geist-

So I guess GAF is just not big on Planetside 2? I was hoping there would be a few people to help an veteran TR player get reacquainted with the game after a 2 year absence.

I wasn't even that big a fan of the game back then, but after coming upon some video about how the game had got some great updates for supporting DirectX 11 and smooth out the graphic so now a lot of people returned to the game, I figured I would give it a shoot again too. I still can't hit jack in the game but it might just be me. population seems pretty healthy from the few hours I played. I'll give it a little longer to see if it really connect. just thought I'll put a little PSA and bum the thread in case anyone is interested.

mcz117chief

I played it a ton a few years back but I guess I got burned out on it, I don't feel any urge to go back. The best times by far were with a clan I joined, playing solo feels super boring after experiencing organized play.

The best times by far were with a clan I joined, playing solo feels super boring after experiencing organized play.

that's definitely still true, especially in smaller engagements. I was just playing with a friend defending a small point and in comes this Galaxy that keeps dropping soldiers in a well coordinated manner and took over the whole place before we can really do much about it. I can really see how much better and smoother operation would be if you're in a clan and running together.

mcz117chief

that's definitely still true, especially in smaller engagements. I was just playing with a friend defending a small point and in comes this Galaxy that keeps dropping soldiers in a well coordinated manner and took over the whole place before we can really do much about it. I can really see how much better and smoother operation would be if you're in a clan and running together.
Yeah. Recently I started ARMA 3 with a clan. It is an amazing experience, I can hook you up if you want.

Yeah. Recently I started ARMA 3 with a clan. It is an amazing experience, I can hook you up if you want.
A **clan**?! People still play in clans? I mean, I know NeoGAF does community groups in games. But it’s been so long since I’ve seen a clan. I used to play with ClanAOD back in the day. They seem to be around still.

mcz117chief

A **clan**?! People still play in clans? I mean, I know NeoGAF does community groups in games. But it’s been so long since I’ve seen a clan. I used to play with ClanAOD back in the day. They seem to be around still.
Mil-sim group/clan/club/regiment whatever, but yes, especially in games like ARMA 3 they are common.

You know I have a rather beasty rig and prior to the big DirectX 11 patch I never stood well against some people in firefights. Now I feel like I'm doing better, my shots are on point, etc. PlanetSide 2 may actually make it back into my MP rotation.

Top Bottom