• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Game certainly has been getting better with each release. Still a lot of places they can improve, but its far and away my most played game for a reason.

MrBig

I'm guessing no one is playing this anymore?

I'm taking a break from this myself (plan to come back towards the end of this year), but I check in with the PS2 community often and its still quite present, mostly centralized to the r/planetside subreddit.

Mikey Jr.

I play daily and bought the highest level of membership as well.

Not a big community on here for this game, so I just talk about this game on reddit instead.

I'm guessing no one is playing this anymore?
Don't play anything else. Most shooters feel shallow and unimpressive after PS2. Best thing about this game is that there is no constant action. You have some down times in between the combat. It's also far more tactical than other shooters. In the beginning you just want to shoot people but later on it's cool to lead squads and get to see the bigger picture. Been playing since the beta, BR94 now and the only week I didn't at least play a few hours was when I was on holiday.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Started playing this a month or two ago. Connery VS, although I have alts on all 3 factions.

My main (that I haven't used in awhile...) is on Mattherson. Still holding out that they'll eventually allow some sort of mechanic to switch servers with characters.

cdyhybrid

My main (that I haven't used in awhile...) is on Mattherson. Still holding out that they'll eventually allow some sort of mechanic to switch servers with characters.

Would instantly kill the underpop factions on every server, though.

Which faction on Connery is the least stupid/terrible?

Lonestar

Started playing again, at least a little bit.

Seems like they finally are going to put lattice on Amerish:
Bg77gumCcAEIe8C.png:large

Lonestar

Lattice now on amerish. 1700 MB patch.

The Ascent has a sick ass cave area. Only area I've seen as I just got online

Damn, amerish is a totally different continent now

CoLaN

Amerish is now AMAZING. Wow.

It's a blast to play thanks to the new bases layouts and lattice, the changes are seriously huge.

mkenyon

Banned
For folks wanting to learn a bit about the game, a pal of mine is changing his stream up a bit to be more informational. Ask him some questions in chat and he'll explain it really well. Focuses on infantry combat as a lone wolf.

twitch.tv/kudochop

Been playing this recently and the game is awesome, shame the population balance means I always seem to be in the losing team. It really shows too.

Also why is there an update every fucking day? Am I doing something wrong?

cdyhybrid

Been playing this recently and the game is awesome, shame the population balance means I always seem to be in the losing team. It really shows too.

There's an update everyday because SOE sucks and breaks something every time they try to patch, so they have to apply another patch to fix stuff (which ends up breaking other things).

What server/faction are you playing?

They update the game weekly (usually in the mornings on Thursdays, PST time)

how bad is the population situation on mattherson?

It was pretty bad for a while. TR was horribly underpopped. VS and NC had about equal pops but NC had their heads so firmly stuck up their own ass they would regularly lose out to TR in alerts even when they had a good 5% or so server pop advantage. Things have normalized ever so slightly over the past couple weeks for some reason insofar as NC having won a few alerts and TR at least hitting 30% server pop. Not sure if its a trend towards normalization or of its just a two-week anomaly.

Azulsky

Its still just an average BR problem. TR still need the most help.

Many VS have maxed out vehicles and maxes they are simply a more versatile fighting force because of this.

There is a massive gulf between a vanilla vehicle and a fully certed one.

I have been playing on an NC character lately(about level 25) and it can be overwhelming but its mostly just extra challenging.

The BR difference is a problem, VS dominance did sort of coincide with the release of ZOE and gave the VS months to get fat with certs. But I think the bigger thing with the VS on Matherson is that have massive zerg outfits so they have a tendency to flood bases with people very quickly. Part of this is kind of a perversion of game mechanics. The redeploy option needs to be scaled back to prevent people from just redeploy hopping across continents. And squad beacons, frankly should be taken out of the game. Suiciding an ESF to drop a squad beacon is faster, safer, and easier than taking a Galaxy. Galaxies are still wildly underused in PS2 compared to PS1 because of how much easier and safer alternatives are.

...squad beacons, frankly should be taken out of the game. Suiciding an ESF to drop a squad beacon is faster, safer, and easier than taking a Galaxy. Galaxies are still wildly underused in PS2 compared to PS1 because of how much easier and safer alternatives are.

That's just flat out not true. Galaxies are still the best way to mass move troops (especially since you can now spawn directly into them) in most cases.

Sure, there are times where a squad beacon mossie is a better option but galaxies far outweigh it as an option.

We us galaxies constantly during our ops and to great affect.

moojito

I just started playing this game last week and am still in awe of the scale of it. Joined a game last night and it was night time on Indar and my side was trying to take the next base over. There must have been well over 100 combatants and the fight went on until daytime and was still going on when I logged out. Amazing stuff.

Zona

The BR difference is a problem, VS dominance did sort of coincide with the release of ZOE and gave the VS months to get fat with certs. But I think the bigger thing with the VS on Matherson is that have massive zerg outfits so they have a tendency to flood bases with people very quickly. Part of this is kind of a perversion of game mechanics. The redeploy option needs to be scaled back to prevent people from just redeploy hopping across continents. And squad beacons, frankly should be taken out of the game. Suiciding an ESF to drop a squad beacon is faster, safer, and easier than taking a Galaxy. Galaxies are still wildly underused in PS2 compared to PS1 because of how much easier and safer alternatives are.

I'm a platoon leader in one of those zerg outfits. We may just lack the prerequisite level of coordination for mass squad beacon drops, but we often use Galaxies. That and seeing four+ fully loaded DaPP Gals with attendant scythes is just a wonderful vision to behold.

Liberty4all

Banned

I haven't played for a LONG time but I do remember being one of the "commanders" that helped to solidify the redeploy drop in of multiple outfits/platoons strategy. It's still being used? I would have thought that would be nerfed out eons ago.

I'm a platoon leader in one of those zerg outfits. We may just lack the prerequisite level of coordination for mass squad beacon drops, but we often use Galaxies. That and seeing four+ fully loaded DaPP Gals with attendant scythes is just a wonderful vision to behold.

It is definitely more of a DA/GOTR thing from what I've seen. Usually when NC/TR are pushing a large base they'll use the spawn beacon to drop entire squads of medics to back-cap the satellite and spam res nades whenever we try to take it back. The addition of the revive time has reduced the effectiveness of this somewhat, which was a much welcomed change.

I haven't played for a LONG time but I do remember being one of the "commanders" that helped to solidify the redeploy drop in of multiple outfits/platoons strategy. It's still being used? I would have thought that would be nerfed out eons ago.

Dunno how long its been since you played, but originally when you did a "Redeploy" it gave you an option to actually drop pod on a base, which was wildly abused by The Enclave when they were still around. That was nerfed a while back, redeploy now just brings you back to the spawn screen, but this still gives you the ability to move a large number people quickly across the map. It can be frustrating to be taking a bade and having like a 60/40 pop advantage one minute, then the next minute the pop switches and you're being run out.

Liberty4all

Banned
It

Dunno how long its been since you played, but originally when you did a "Redeploy" it gave you an option to actually drop pod on a base, which was wildly abused by The Enclave when they were still around. That was nerfed a while back, redeploy now just brings you back to the spawn screen, but this still gives you the ability to move a large number people quickly across the map. It can be frustrating to be taking a bade and having like a 60/40 pop advantage one minute, then the next minute the pop switches and you're being run out.

yeah back when I played you could redeploy on a base. Nothing like having your whole faction drop on The Crown :)

Hey so how big is this game,I started the download and it was ~9GB but are the patches included with it?

My current PS2 folder is 13.6 GB

Keep in mind the "Steam" version is a bit out of date so the launcher may re-download some times up to the entire game when launched (Depending on how much has changed)

Zona

Then 13.6 gigs when it's all done installing. It's worth it in my opinion. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask them in the thread.

Zona

*Cough*
"Our plan as of right now is to get Hossin, continent locking, outfit recruitment & outfit base capture live with next week's update."

it's happening.gif

I fully expect the game to be so broken after the patch that any computer with it installed will simply fail to boot, but I'm still excited for this.

Lonestar

Sounds like a good time to drop back in, at least to see what we all wanted the game to be like about a year ago.

Woorloog

Banned
Eh, Hossin was supposed to be added this week? Sure ain't in the game after the patch...

Came back to this for some reason, guess i needed some multiplayer FPS.
Of course, i had forgotten my account name and password, so i went and made a new one (don't think i lost anything of value, except perhaps a scope for some weapon).
Playing on Cobalt on NC's side, Ferrofiber is my name there.

It seems the performance updates added to this game (there has been at least one after my previous try, and 64bit client) have done well for this game, i can now run solid 30fps (except the biggest battles, also i can get more but since above 30 is inconsistent, i figured capping it would be a good idea), with low graphics (at 80% render quality, because the game still doesn't have 720p resolution for some reason). As i've noted before, it looks ugly as sin but at least it is playable consistently now. On Indar. Gotta try Amerish tomorrow.

Sniping in this game is hellishly difficult, i wonder what i'm doing wrong. Sometimes i do get good streaks, but usually i can't hit anything.
Too bad there's no other class that has assault rifles, i don't like playing a Medic because i want to fight, not rez and heal people, and i can't play medic as a pure fighter with pure conscience. Besides, if i start healing, i run around only healing people, at least that's what happens in Battlefields for me.... I have to work toward that auto-scout rifle, other non-AR automatics are not accurate enough for my tastes.
And too bad Infiltrators lack anti-vehicle capabilities, but perhaps they would be too powerful if they did have such.

EDIT oh and i keep reading "Spawn Beacon" as "Spawn Bacon"

Top Bottom