• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

The infiltrator is a mess still. Calling it an infiltrator is insulting. It's a sniper that can cloak, thats all it is atm. Theres also a fun bug where cloak stops working entirely.

If you look at all the patches that have come consistantly over the past few weeks, yes they are getting a lot done, but theres still an awful lot of bugs around and the metagame has changed so much over a month period.

In my opinion it could use at least another 3 months of dev time, but gotta make money now I suppose. Regardless, sad to say for me, given some of the design choices, it'll never quite be as magical as the first couple of years of the original. Instead of embracing it, they borrowed heavily from Battlefield 3. Not convinced that that'll lead to a bigger player base, but we'll see.

mr_nothin

Banned

They're basically doing a soft launch of the game. Polishing what's in the game right now for release and then adding more and more content & features as we go.

The infiltrator is a mess still. Calling it an infiltrator is insulting. It's a sniper that can cloak, thats all it is atm. Theres also a fun bug where cloak stops working entirely.

If you look at all the patches that have come consistantly over the past few weeks, yes they are getting a lot done, but theres still an awful lot of bugs around and the metagame has changed so much over a month period.

In my opinion it could use at least another 3 months of dev time, but gotta make money now I suppose. Regardless, sad to say for me, given some of the design choices, it'll never quite be as magical as the first couple of years of the original. Instead of embracing it, they borrowed heavily from Battlefield 3. Not convinced that that'll lead to a bigger player base, but we'll see.
I'm not getting what's being borrowed from BF3 specifically. The game plays nothing like BF3 to me.

Don't forgot to drop off those shots when you can :)

Will do!

MrBig

I know it's late, but I found I have 4 keys to give away in an email I missed after giving one away already in this thread. So if you're impatient, let me know and I'll send you a code if you're in time.

1 hour and 13 minutes left to play

Protein

Banned
So:

Vanu = Progressive Space Democrats

Terran = Space Republicans

Conglomerate = Freedom fighters

Am I doing it right?

vazel

Banned
So:

Vanu = Progressive Space Democrats

Terran = Space Republicans

Conglomerate = Freedom fighters

Am I doing it right?
The Vanu don't have a real world analogue. They want to turn everyone into cyborgs or something using alien technology. That's like Deus Ex transhumanism stuff.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This game looks damn good considering the scale and everything. Looking forward to release date.

AcridMeat

Banned
The Vanu don't have a real world analogue. They want to turn everyone into cyborgs or something using alien technology. That's like Deus Ex transhumanism stuff.
Which is why I picked them. Why do I care about two dumb factions mad at each other. I wanna embrace technology and evolve the race.

Wanted to play and find another 2gb update...man.

Staab

They suggest re downloading the retail client on the beta forums.
Says it could cause loading issues and some assets are no longer in use.

But as always, take it with a grain of salt, beta clients are usually quasi the same.

It was ordered to uninstall the beta client before downloading and installing the retail client. I'd link it, but the website has been converted into a giant countdown.

Was a PS noob a week ago but have put in a lot of time in the last few days, even bought the Alpha squad pack. Will be playing on the Australian server.

AcridMeat

Banned
How well does this game accomodate lone wolf playstyles?
Similar to a battlefield game I'd say. When fighting on a front if you take a strategic approach you can pick off people with snipers from a flank, or take out some small objectives in a base. You aren't going to win an objective single handed though.

SparkTR

Same here

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36735

How well does this game accomodate lone wolf playstyles?

You can be an infiltrator and snipe people from good vantage points. A great thing about this kind of open battlefield is you can approach a large (or small) battle from pretty much any direction and have lots of flexibility to move around without being noticed. Vehicles are also pretty great for this, flying or tanking alone is very effective.

Liberty4all

Banned
How many weapon and vehicle unlocks will 120 in station cash get me? I haven't been following how real cash purchases will work.

Prozel

Been pretty keen on playing this game. Skipped the beta since I want the best possible experience from the start, and my GPU hasn't arrived yet.

Speaking of the lonewolf playstyle, can you plant IED's/landmines in this game? I usually like playing as a lonewolf and I love setting up elaborate ied's in battlefield games

MrBig

Delete the PlanetSide 2 Beta file located here: C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games.
Finally, delete the file npsoeact.dll from this location: C:\Users\(Your Account)\AppData\LocalLow\Sony Online Entertainment.

The launcher will clean this up automatically when the launch version of it is released but if you want to delete it before hand you'll have to do it manually

How many weapon and vehicle unlocks will 120 in station cash get me? I haven't been following how real cash purchases will work.

The most expensive guns at launch are 750 SC, others 500 or 250 or whatever else. You'll be able to buy the whole initial arsenal and a lot of the launch cosmetics if you wanted to.

e: that is if you meant 120k SC. There's probably just a few cosmetic trinkets for <120 SC

Liberty4all

Banned
The launcher will clean this up automatically when the launch version of it is released but if you want to delete it before hand you'll have to do it manually

The most expensive guns at launch are 750 SC, others 500 or 250 or whatever else. You'll be able to buy the whole initial arsenal and a lot of the launch cosmetics if you wanted to.

e: that is if you meant 120k SC. There's probably just a few cosmetic trinkets for <120 SC

awesome. Yup 120k. Got 2 4 1 station cash in august so im set. Wanted to support the devs.

edit: actually I have 16100 in Station Cash. Guess I won't be getting the whole arsenal after all. Just the one that matters (Vanu).

Wes

venison crêpe
I wish I could uninstall (yes I've read the posts about it already) properly more than having to redownload a client.

Jhriad

I'll volunteer to form a TR outfit since we're already putting one together anyways. Hope to see some more familiar PS1 faces back once it's official. I'll be away for most of this coming week but I'll post information about who to contact to get into the outfit when we're clear on what server we're going to be playing on.

So here's my problem with the beta (or rather being new to PS)

It seems like it takes so long to unlock stuff through certs. I had played many hours of the beta but was still stuck with the original weapons because they cost shit_fuckload of certs.

Was I doing it wrong?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

It seems like it takes so long to unlock stuff through certs. I had played many hours of the beta but was still stuck with the original weapons because they cost shit_fuckload of certs.

Was I doing it wrong?

They were supposed to be speeding how quickly you get certs, not sure if they did, but I don't think it's going to change much. It's their way of getting you to spend money.

MrBig

Was I doing it wrong?

They're still working on expanding the things that awards XP/Certs, but atm it's just fine imo, you just have to participate and can't passively sit around soaking in experience like you could before. I got 200+ certs last night rolling in a platoon and capping a few facilities over the course of about 4 hours. The most expensive weapons in the game are currently 1000 cert points, so I could get one of those in just a couple days if I put more time into it. So the path is there for you to quickly get what you want, but if you feel that you don't want to put in any work or feel that you don't want to grind you can just buy it instantly.

So, we need to delete the beta install, or will it update into "full release"

You will have to download a new launcher program on release. It will handle the deletion of all the Beta stuff automatically.

Holy cow, the art is gorgeous. That blue alien landscape.....

g1rpb59q6ps34.jpg

How would a quad core amd cpu from a few years ago and a 5770 1gb hold up for this beast of a game? got 4gigs of ram

Top Bottom