• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

demolitio

I think it's finally time to redownload this after my HDD died. I need to look up all the changes that's occurred over the past 6 months.

MrBig

Hossin was just patched to test, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the servers down until tomorrow though.

0ruGglj.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
:lol, there's a Tree Fort base. In the South ("Hunters Blind" or something)

jPmkS2O5MCdzK.jpg

Got a look at that center of the map base. It's pretty insane. Tower Base, but with wall encampments all around, and it's got turrets out the ass. Might be 20+ turrets :lol

Lonestar

PS2 on PS4:

F2P and no Playstation Plus needed to play PS2 on PS4.
Cross Platform play is supported and you can play on the Vita on the go
The Mobile App will be supported for PS4.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't show any PS4 footage. Also shitty that they couldn't figure something out for linking the game back to PC/Station. The console version is gonna be stuck with crummy deals since they won't be offering Double/Triple Station Cash offers.

Looking back at the E3 chat they said a "big unveiling at SOE Live" yet they only showed 1 slide with nothing but text for 2 mins during the roadmap panel.... guess they're not ready to show it off yet.

Spruce

Neo Member
PS2 on PS4:

F2P and no Playstation Plus needed to play PS2 on PS4.
Cross Platform play is supported and you can play on the Vita on the go
The Mobile App will be supported for PS4.

Cross Platform play will be huge for this game. No more empty servers when they start to roll-out continent locking. Really happy about this one.

Killthee

it's not meant as PC & PS4 together. They are separate. That term is meant for the Vita Cross Play.

Yeah they keep using Cross Platform play incorrectly. They also used it during E3 to refer to Remote Play.

Lonestar

Yeah they keep using Cross Platform play incorrectly. They also used it during E3 to refer to Remote Play.

yeah, the note said Cross platform, and it means something else than their interpretation.

It all comes back to Keyboard/Mouse vs. Controller. Which really makes me think that PS4 won't support KB/M. Shameful that modern tech can't do something that simple.

Killthee

yeah, the note said Cross platform, and it means something else than their interpretation.

It all comes back to Keyboard/Mouse vs. Controller. Which really makes me think that PS4 won't support KB/M. Shameful that modern tech can't do something that simple.
I don't even think that's the major hurdle for it, it's the Station account linking and the patch delay due to certification that seems to be the sticking point.

DCUO was designed around a controller and built internally with cross platform servers, but when it came to figure out how to handle PSN-Station logistics they dropped the cross platform server support.

Eurogamer: To clarify: is DC Universe cross-platform - can PC gamers play with PS3 gamers?

John Smedley: Technically speaking it is. However, the servers are separated, and largely they're separated for business reasons. Practically speaking, on the PC, you have to have a Station Account. On the PlayStation 3 you have to have a PSN account. Things are separated mainly for those reasons. Actually, up until very recently, internally, everybody was playing on one sever together and it's actually quite fun.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...l-dc-universe-change-console-gaming-interview

demolitio

Holy shit. I got my SSD working again so now PS2 is installed and just needs to update!

So have any MAJOR gameplay overhauls been made since January to where there's more confrontations instead of each faction just easily owning a continent?

Lonestar

Holy shit. I got my SSD working again so now PS2 is installed and just needs to update!

So have any MAJOR gameplay overhauls been made since January to where there's more confrontations instead of each faction just easily owning a continent?

Hard to say.

There are more alerts and types of alerts, which are there to entice factions to fight over smaller areas (larger battles) Continents are gained and lost faster, as now you don't need to warpgate the other 2 factions to "cap/lock" the continent. Just need 75% of the territory. You lose the cap/lock if your faction drops to below 15% territory.

If you don't know what types of alerts there are, it's mostly territory involved. Either, cap the most amount of territory on a certain continent, or hold the most "main bases" on a continent, or all the continents. Alerts last 2 hours (Unless a dominating win is achieved, meaning a faction captures everything).

Finally got around to downloading the test server client, and running it off of a standard HD (instead of my main file on the SSD. Man, those loading screens are sloooow.

Hossin is very interesting, totally different than anything before. There just aren't many "wide open areas" for massive vehicle fights.

Interlink Facilities are interesting, and I want to know if they'll be added to the other 3 continents.

Hossin is pitch black DARK at night. Think they made this continent to make people cert flashlights :lol

The lattice system on Indar and Esamir have made strides in this regard. There's very little to no ghostcapping your way around a fight.

The Alert system also helps to shake things up and give fights more of a purpose. My only issue with Alerts is that sometimes they too heavily favor population, especially Alerts that span cross-continents like capturing all Biolabs or Amp Stations or whatever.

Azulsky

Hard to say.
Finally got around to downloading the test server client, and running it off of a standard HD (instead of my main file on the SSD. Man, those loading screens are sloooow.

I need to get me one of them Solid State Drives for my Desktop. I keep finding myself waiting. Might have to bite the bullet on this new Samsung series when it comes out in September.

As far as what you said about Hossin, isn't it incomplete? Perhaps when the exterior parts are added in there will be more vehicular zones.

Mikey Jr.

The alerts kinda blow in my opinion. There just just about capturing territory which is what we do on a regular basis anyways.

How about....

1. Rings (lets say 30) are placed through out a map. The only way to score points is for a sunderer to drive through the ring. As soon as it does, the ring disappears for that faction. The first faction to drive through all rings, wins, or whoever gets the most by the end. So you can choose to just spam sunderers, or you can spawn just a few, but protect them with air and tanks. You can do the exact same with a galaxy version.

2. King of the hill. Each second the hill is in your possession, is another point for your faction. A new hill spawns every 15 minutes in a random location.

3. Capture the flags. 3 faction specific flags are spawned on the ground level, with each faction flag near their warpgate. These 3 flags can ONLY be captured by infantry units. You can jump in and out of a tank, flash, etc., but they MUST be taken by an infantry unit. You have to bring the flag back to your base, and the only way a faction can bring their own flag back to their base is if an infantry doesn't touch it for 5 minutes.
Now, there are 3 air flags as well, that can ONLY be captured by ESF, libs, and galaxies. Creates a nice alert for pilots and soldiers. These flags keep spawning until the alert is done.

Azulsky

The Alerts that consist of hold all plants/stations/domes on x continent would be better if you had to actually hold them instead of the most overpopped faction grabbing them in the first 30 minutes of the alert.

But they said they where doing there big unveiling, no? have they at least said something
Everything that we learned at E3 they talked about again at SOE Live. There was supposed to be footage but I guess they bumped it. The game probably isn't ready to be shown working on the PS4 yet or something. Kinda strange.

Haven't played this game in awhile, I'm sure it's completely different. I cleared out a ton of my backlog this past month and have been meaning to get back into one of my few FPS jams. I'll probably be on later tonight after the imminent 20GB download worth of patches that I've missed out on.

Anyone NC on Mattherson looking to team up?

EDIT: Played some last night after an hour of downloading updates, and I can't really put my finger on why I've lost all interest in the game. I played a ton of it when it was first released, and last night I couldn't play for more than an hour before I was like "Yup, spawning on this Sunderer and fighting over the same choke points for an hour just isn't as fun as I had hoped.", or "I'm spawning in this base and I can't leave the protective barriers because there are dozens of enemies camped outside just waiting for anyone dumb enough to cross over for a split second."

Maybe I should give it another go tonight. Or maybe this game just isn't for me. I don't think playing an hour or so of this game is really enough to completely write it off.

Dina

Guys,

I am planning to return to Planetside 2. I haven't played since january of this year. I enjoyed playing heavies and lights the most, basically certed into tank fights and anti-tank infantry. I've just een TB's new video regarding returning to Planetside 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f9NkX_SLV4

What are other tips you guys can give me? What is important these days? What are the most important changes? What are the best few guns to cert into (Vanu)?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Just downloaded this and played for an hour last night. I joined the purple empire. I spawned and was thrown in the middle of like 30 people rushing a red base. We captured it and then went to the next base. Really cool. I earned about 10 certs.

What are the must have upgrades? I bought the armor upgrade for 1 cert.

Top Bottom