• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Azulsky

They've released a video about Operation Make Faster Game

I didn't understand most of it but it was an interesting watch.

I can break down what they were saying in the chats with the programmers.

UI--> Looks like 2 guys were talking about the UI causing issues. Specifically it running checks for mouse input(Alt key) when the mouse wasnt even activated and it(Scaleform) generating shaders that seemed uneeded.

Packets--> They are creating a packet profiler that is basically looking at how you are receiving data. The network is probably the biggest thing causing PS2 to be a single threaded process as you are waiting for updates on the actions of possibly hundreds of entities many times a second.

Cache & Multicore --> Cache hit/miss is how well the code is optimized so that instructions will operate on data stored in your CPU cache rather than having a cache miss, which means that the memory page was not loaded in cache and you then have to pull the data from memory or god forbid secondary storage. This is why you get really good performance from SSD's and RAMDriving games like Planetside where suddenly a Galaxy appears and the game has to pull a texture from your hdd and push it to your GFX card. You get frame rate loss and you get game update delays. The multicore enhancements were just referring to how much stuff they can make your other cores do in parallel without being bottlenecked by the gameloop sequence. For instance you cant really very much sound stuff in parallel because you need to know from the game loop that someone fired a gun that created the sound.

Like the director said, its really hard to find time to break the bone and reset it when its a continuous game.

MrBig

PlanetSide 2 - Operation: Make Faster Game Ep. 2

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/quick-optimization-update.152487/
Hey all -

We've made some really great optimization progress in the last few weeks across several different areas of the game. Overall we're running faster across all our hardware test cases, in some cases with up to a 30% increase in framerate, and we're not even done yet. We know everyone here is anxious for news so we wanted to share some tentative dates of when we expect to have some of these efforts released to you guys.

Our current schedule has us completing the changes for our first major optimization patch on October 9th, as soon as possible after that we'll be patching things up to our Public Test server where we'll be running a few events and focus tests to make sure things are stable and performance increases are being realized. Assuming that our testing goes well our hope is to deploy the first major optimization patch on October 23rd.

As usual I have to caveat that dates can be slippery,
and while we'll make every effort to adhere to these dates, with engineering changes of the complexity and magnitude of those being undertaken by the team right now things can go wrong.

We will be posting a followup thread to talk about some of the specific changes we've made and results we've seen from them so far, but we wanted to get the news on the dates out to you all as quickly as we could!

I also wanted to thank each of you for your patience while we've made these changes. We know the delays to content additions has been tough, but, based on the results we're seeing internally already we think you will all agree that it has been well worth the wait.

See you on Auraxis!
-
Matthew Higby
Creative Director - Planetside 2

I hope they're still on track to deliver this on PS4 during the launch window. Could truly be a killer app for Sony. Just worried because we haven't seen gameplay yet.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I hope they're still on track to deliver this on PS4 during the launch window. Could truly be a killer app for Sony. Just worried because we haven't seen gameplay yet.
Guessing we wont get any footage till some of the optimizations are in place. Contrary to what Smedley said about the PC optimizations having zero to do with the PS4 version, the latest O:MFG episode included what appeared to be the initial internal meeting where Smed announced the priority shift and look which group was also part of the meeting:

GMHtWDG.png

I'm not expecting anything polished to be released this year considering they seem to have all hands on deck optimizing the game & engine this close to launch and we still haven't gotten any footage of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing some sort of "beta" launch in late Dec that improves considerably during the first year post launch. Something similar to the way CCP handled the Dust 514 launch.

Sarcasm

Whats the difference between say rank 85 dude and a rank 10?

Cause..I can hit them in the head few times where as they one shot me.

Whats the difference between say rank 85 dude and a rank 10?

Cause..I can hit them in the head few times where as they one shot me.
Playtime. But this is such a empty statement. Depending on the class, suit certification, faction weapon. The damage you do and incur will differ a lot.

So you think a 7950 could play this game on ultra settings at 1080p? I've got an I7920@4ghz but paired with a 4890. the 7950's are pretty cheap right now. Thinking of upgrading..or maybe I should wait.

Anton668

So you think a 7950 could play this game on ultra settings at 1080p? I've got an I7920@4ghz but paired with a 4890. the 7950's are pretty cheap right now. Thinking of upgrading..or maybe I should wait.

well, I have a I7 3770K/8Gb ram/7950 and I do rather well with most settings cranked up.

but remember, sometime soon™ there is going to be a large optimization patch so things SHOULD get even better

It'd be the i7-920 that is most likely going to hold you back. I got an i7-3770 @ 4.1Ghz and usually bounce between 30-40FPS during large fights.

But who knows what'll happen in two weeks when the OMFG patch goes out. Every time they talk about it they make it sound like they're getting good boosts.

MrBig

I used to run at 40-60 with rare drops to the 30s, with all the accompanying stuttering. Interested to see how this first step pans out but I still probably won't seriously pick up playing again until they've expanded the game beyond what is essentially a bunch of sites for spawn camping

Played a bit on the test server this morning. Definitely smoother. There was a Biolab fight going on, not an overwhelming population, but decent. On my i7-3770k and 7970 it was easily a good 10-15FPS higher than normal and GPU-bound the whole time. I'll have to play more this afternoon to see if the game visually looks any different.

One negative I guess is I don't like the new health/shield bars, just not a fan.

edit - With it being GPU-bound now it gives slightly more justification to me buying an R9-290x when they become available.

Zona

By Vanu my FPS is better with this update. My system is nothing to write home about and I push it for every ounce of pretty with this game but I seem to have gotten a 15-20FPS boost.

Optimization patch #1 is looking good for deployment tonight (4am PST).

So by tmrw morning (for the US at least) we should have Performance Update 1 on the live servers.

Judging by the performance I've seen on the PTS this is going to f'ing rock.

Huzzah! I had reformatted a week ago (long story, but I didn't need it to fix the problem I was having, but its nice to have a squeaky clean PC anyhow). And I have been waiting for this patch to drop to install the game fresh. I've been dabbling in Battlefield 4 for the past few days and I really have not been enjoying it

Huzzah! I had reformatted a week ago (long story, but I didn't need it to fix the problem I was having, but its nice to have a squeaky clean PC anyhow). And I have been waiting for this patch to drop to install the game fresh. I've been dabbling in Battlefield 4 for the past few days and I really have not been enjoying it
Same here, running like a dream on the new PC but I want to see how much more they can squeeze out of it with this optimization patch.

What don't you like about BF4? I thought about picking it up as my secondary FPS next to PS2 but I'm on the fence.

Same here, running like a dream on the new PC but I want to see how much more they can squeeze out of it with this optimization patch.

What don't you like about BF4? I thought about picking it up as my secondary FPS next to PS2 but I'm on the fence.
PS2 has better hit detection in a big cluster fuck of a biolab fight than BF4 in small skirmishes.

Patch notes https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/pu01-patch-notes-11-12.157453/

Performance

General:

Refactored game rendering to better utilize multiple CPU cores. The same has been done for UI rendering.
Optimized the CPU cost of some purely aesthetic physics objects
Added adaptive complexity levels for physics simulations based on current client performance
Disabled redundant physics processing between remotely-simulated vehicles
Improved simulations between complex compound shapes, primarily vehicles
Sound emitter optimization
Numerous optimizations have been done to remote character processing to reduce the cost of per-player processing.
We found that players getting in and out of vehicles was causing some performance issues. This has been addressed and is working as expected, now.
Audio asset clean-up
Added a frame rate smoothing option. (This is on by default and trust us, you probably want this. It will make your frame rate smoother and reduce spikes. Your FPS counter will show as lower overall, but that’s not a bad thing.)
Adjusted the default graphics settings. (If you push Reset to Default, it will set the graphics settings appropriate for your system.)

FX:
Vehicle debris pieces updated
All bullet impacts optimized

Animation:

Implemented new scatterblend node to provide more fluid third person movement and a performance improvement
Reorganized the networks to eliminate redundancies and reduce the overall network size
Created level of detail version of the third person network. This allows code to switch to less expensive version of the network based on how far away the player is from the camera. This provided our largest performance improvement at approximately a 50% improvement for network processor time.
Consolidated the number of active nodes and pass downs in the network. This simplified the network and insured that costly additive nodes were only active when they were necessary.
Removed state machines that could be replaced with blend trees. Blend trees are more efficient than state machines.

Art:

Optimization pass on First Person arms
Improved usage of textures on various vehicles
Optimization pass on Ace Tool and Ammo Pack

Memory:

Fixed several client crashes (We’re not done with these and should have more coming soon.)
Fixed a few client memory leaks (Not done here either. Still investigating some memory optimizations to help with crashes related to memory.)

UI:

Overhead indicator system overhauled for performance
The HUD, Centralized HUD, as well as the health and shield bars have been redesigned with a new look to increase performance
Fixed Scaleform garbage collection spikes
Optimizing UI advance processing
Faster communication between AS3 and C++/LUA
Faster subsequent map load times
Faster retrieval of localized strings
Platoon UI optimizations and polish
Player kill notification revamp
Kill spam notification revamp
Fixed various existing and potential memory leaks
UI HUD Updates:

Minimap optimizations: more logic in C++ e.g. alpha updates such as fading and blinking instead of AS3 tweening, throttling via time slicing, recon indicator updates, recon motion dart detects enemies properly on the minimap, fixed AMS exclusion radius not appearing properly, increased default zoom level
Compass optimizations: controlled directly from C++
Weapon info optimizations ( bullet count, reload warning, blinking etc )
Vitals optimizations and revamp ( health, shield, etc )
Facility info / squad list will show when minimap is expanded if screen height >= 1080
Fixed issue with sunderers not showing ‘gives ammo’ or ‘gives repair’ icon within 100m
Now show the HUD facility indicator when you are inside a region but outside of the facility radius
Fixed issues with HUD indicators blinking in when they first initialize
Optimized Indar:

Reduced ecosystem masks
Reduced polycount on most environment objects
Reduced occlusion calculations from most environment objects
Reduced texture usage on some environment objects
Removed redundant objects, replaced with visually similar ones
Adjusted LOD distances

Non Performance

Highlights:

No more double loading screens
Changed recommended server calculation to improve faction balance
AI turret should no longer shoot itself
AV turrets and their projectiles should no longer disappear in large fights
Numerous client focus and cursor fixes such as preventing windows from appearing above the client in full screen windowed mode and the Windows cursor appearing on loading
We’ve disabled GPU particles until further notice. (Due to some our optimizations, GPU particles don’t work quite right and we need to spend some time to fix them up.)

General:

All spawn timers are now the same at 15 seconds. Previously the spawn timers would scale based on location or type from 14-18 seconds, with the majority of spawns being at 18 seconds.
Squad deploy will no longer drop pod players into the center of a bases. It will instead spawn the player at the closest hard spawn point to the squad leader, which includes facility spawn points, deployed Sunderers, and squad spawn beacons
The Infiltrator’s recon dart will now send found enemies to the minimap of all allies in a 150m radius. Previously this tool had a range limit of 50 meters
Increased the drop speed of drop pods. They now accelerate as they approach the ground. Collision damage multiplier reduced to account for the higher pod velocity.
Reduced the horizontal movement speed of drop pods so they land closer to their origin points
Improved look of bullet hit impacts in low settings
Fix to sending tells across servers
Improved particle effects on vehicle deaths for TR and NC

World:

Amerish sky settings have been shifted 12 hours. If you don’t like the onset of evenings on Indar or Esamir, Amerish has bright sunny skies waiting for you
Indar lighting slightly darkend at dawn and dusk
Some outposts on Indar received minor gameplay adjustments.
Zurvan Amp Station has had its secondary spawn room removed and now resembles the other amp stations
Dahaka Amp Station now has gate shield generators
Indar Lattice Additions:

The Crown <-> Crossroads Watchtower
Vanu Archives <-> NS Secure Data Lab
Quartz Ridge Camp <-> Indar Comm Array
Ceres Hydroponics <-> Galaxy Solar Plant
Crimson Bluff Tower <-> NS Material Storage
Benson Construction <-> Alkali Shipping

UI:

We've renamed the Indar Warpgates to geographical names. So you will now see the "Indar Northern Warpgate" instead of the "Indar TR Warpgate"
The squad list now has icons for players inside MANA turrets or Drop Pods
The Flash and Harasser mini-map icons have been made more distinct from each other
Enemy vehicles will no longer show an occupancy count

Bug Fixes:

Fixed shotgun pellet count tooltip. Instead of saying, "The amount or pellets each time the shotgun fires" the tooltip now says, "Single-shot Pellet Count / Pellet Spread"
Added 1x sight for VS Eridani SX5G
Fixed an issue where Resupply and Repair Sunderer icons would not display when within 100 meters of the vehicle
Fixed an issue where The Smoke Screen Utility tooltip on the loadout menu has a different duration value than the cert rank for Sunderers
Fixed gravity lifts in the Frostbite Harbor spawn rooms to function correctly
The AV turrets at West Highlands Checkpoint should no longer be floating
Fixed floating turrets at West Highlands Checkpoint and The Stronghold
Removed erroneous painfields around Indar
Fixed an issue where the two projectiles would sometimes be visible when firing the Recon Detect Device when only one was fired
Fixed issue where lower ranks of Sunderer Proximity Repair could not repair Sunderers that had a higher rank equipped.
Depot Bundles and store items have had a pass to ensure correct faction usage is written in their descriptions
Fixed cases where the player’s corpse wasn’t removed from the world after declining a revive
Regions that cannot be captured will no longer show up as reinforcements or instant action spawn points
Removed the visibility cap on rockets and placed explosives. They should always show in heavy battles now
Players can no longer use the quick action menu to track enemy players
Fixed the player standing from crouch in third person when shot while holding certain items
Fixed the Striker not animating in first person after firing
Glass added to cockpit of Mosquito

Love all the technical details of the performance parts.

My issues primarily revolve around the spawn system. Basically, the game gives players too many spawn options and results in players popping up randomly across the map. It kills any "flow" to the battles, almost like pre-lattice PS2. There's a lot of bouncing around between empty points and a ton of being shot in the back because one lone guy magically turns into three guys with the squad spawn system and they all just swarm.

Rush is a little better, but the maps tend to be unbalanced and too many servers leave the ticket count at the default 75, which is far too small for 64-players.

Bunch of other little issues, like said above, netcode/hit detection is more unreliable than it should be. And I never liked how the gunplay changed from the high recoil/low COF in BF2 to the negligible recoil/higher COF in BF3/4. It leads to a lot more running and gunning and makes long range gunplay less viable (DMRs are particularly gimped).

Zona

Patch is out, servers are up, and after some hiccups of being stuck at 96% loading I managed to get in and run around. So very much smoother on my poor overworked system. The new interface is a little meh, but I'll gladly take it in exchange for the 15-20 more FPS they found me.

MrBig

My minimum FPS got raised with the PU1 patch, to around 45 instead of 30, and my average FPS is in the mid 50 range, but I hardly ever see it go above ~57, which is when I get GPU capped. Previously I would be able to keep 60 (framerate limited in ini) a lot of the time without hitting my GPU cap, with the same settings as I use currently, everything but Shadows and Textures on high, which are on medium and ultra, respectively, at 1440p. I wouldn't care so much about this if it didn't still lead to tearing and stuttering since I can't keep a solid 60 when it should be possible.

As I typed this I remembered that I removed my 670's OC for the BF4 beta due to the game not liking OCs, but that's only a 20Mhz increase.

Zona

They added a smoothing option that's turned on by default. It results in a bit lower fps on average but less sudden dips. It may be that.

Animal

Banned
I have never seen a developer communicate so openly and timely with its fans/users/customers.

Not only that but they have implemented features/fixes/changes in record time. We're not talking little things either. Full blown core game mechanics.

And now this optimization patch which is bringing in huge improvement in performance is just unbelievable. Yes yes I won't argue how some things should have never been coded in a certain way to begin with etc.

I just wanted to point out what a good feeling it is to see a developer like the Planetside 2 devs. There aren't many left like it.

Anton668

full disclosure:
<---- AT member

I've been taking a break from game while waiting for this patch(s) to come out, but far as I know, yes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Gone back ever few weeks for a day or 2, and AT always seems to have enough for 1-2 squads. Definitely down, but still around. Haven't made it to a Friday night, when it's supposed to be the largest amount showing up for Ops.

Have they talked about adding a Over-the-shoulder viewpoint option?
third person was problematic in ps1 because people used it to look through walls. over-the-shoulder fixes that.

Have they talked about adding a Over-the-shoulder viewpoint option?
third person was problematic in ps1 because people used it to look through walls. over-the-shoulder fixes that.

The chances of that are pretty much nil. It wasn't necessarily to look through walls, it was to look around corners, which you can still do to some even with over-the-shoulder.

Frankly, I don't like the idea of any third-person camera, I'd honestly wish they'd get rid of it for vehicles as well. But that also has a pretty much non-existent chance of happening.

Zona

The chances of that are pretty much nil. It wasn't necessarily to look through walls, it was to look around corners, which you can still do to some even with over-the-shoulder.

Frankly, I don't like the idea of any third-person camera, I'd honestly wish they'd get rid of it for vehicles as well. But that also has a pretty much non-existent chance of happening.

You will take away my third person Sunderer over my cold dead, rapidly disintegrating into nanites, body.

Woorloog

Banned
Does the game have proper 1280x720 resolution? Last time i played, it didn't and i had to do that via config.
16:9 display, and not enough power to run the game 1600x900 so i need 720 resolution, can't stand stretching or squishing.
Custom resolutions don't render the UI correctly IIRC though i don't recall having issues with it with custom resolution. But just in-case...

Is your actual display resolution 1280x720 or is it 1600x900? If its the later, don't both setting up a custom resolution. The "Render Quality" slider just alters the rendering resolution. I don't know what the actual percentage you'd want to set to make a 1600x900 to render at 1280x720, but you'd just want to mess with that slider. (Conversely, if you set Render Quality to something over 100% in the .ini file you're basically supersampling).

This is a better option than trying to set some custom resolution because in this way, the UI will still draw at the proper resolution for your monitor, but the 3D part of the game will render at a lower resolution.

MrBig

Is your actual display resolution 1280x720 or is it 1600x900? If its the later, don't both setting up a custom resolution. The "Render Quality" slider just alters the rendering resolution. I don't know what the actual percentage you'd want to set to make a 1600x900 to render at 1280x720, but you'd just want to mess with that slider. (Conversely, if you set Render Quality to something over 100% in the .ini file you're basically supersampling).

This is a better option than trying to set some custom resolution because in this way, the UI will still draw at the proper resolution for your monitor, but the 3D part of the game will render at a lower resolution.

Yeah, this would be the better way to go about it. The variable to render at 1280x720 from a native res of 1600x900 is "0.8", I believe. sqrt(1280x720)/(1600x900). You may like how display/gpu scales the image better than PS2 does, or you may like having the smaller sized/clearer UI.

The reason PS2 wouldn't show 1280x720 in its resolution dropdown is it's polling your monitor for a list of resolutions to show.

Woorloog

Banned
If the game polls my display for resos, how come it shows 768 (which isn't 16:9 aspect ratio), and others but not 720?

I'll try the render quality trick too.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, this is a surprise. The game runs rather well now, as long as i keep the graphics low at least.
Gotta do some more testing though.
How do i open the in-game frame rate meter, i don't remember anymore.

MrBig

If the game polls my display for resos, how come it shows 768 (which isn't 16:9 aspect ratio), and others but not 720?

I'll try the render quality trick too.
It would poll it for a list of explicitly supported resolutions, not necessarily just its native res. You should see the same resolutions listed in your driver control panel/windows. I've had issues where monitors store the wrong information and won't even tell windows their correct native res, so its not a perfect system, but at least it normally means people wont have to create custom resolutions.

Well, this is a surprise. The game runs rather well now, as long as i keep the graphics low at least.
Gotta do some more testing though.
How do i open the in-game frame rate meter, i don't remember anymore.

alt f

Woorloog

Banned
Windows definitely offers 720 resolution. Hell, the only one the game's missing (aside from 800x600) is 720... Weird.
Ah, well, 1600x900 with 80 percent rendering quality seems to be working fine. Need to tweak the setting though, even low shadows cause performance drops and the rendering distance for shadows is abysmal.
The game looks ugly as sin right with my settings but i doubt i can run the game with settings that make the game look good with this laptop.
Gotta wait for PS4 version. And PS4 for that matter.

Anyway, where (server and faction) do people play? EU timezone here, though lag to US servers ain't too bad IIRC. As long as precision isn't required, i'm more of a brute force player anyway.
Does GAF have any outfit or such?
Starting from zero in practice.

Also, gotta read the wikis, i'm badly out of the loop. Those jeep-things surprised me.

EDIT so, yeah. Good news: Not CPU limited so far. I reckon this may change for a big battle but still a big improvement. Bad news: Can't run the game above low settings really, aside from textures, so it looks really bad.

Top Bottom