• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 PS4 details: 1080p, "smooth" framerate, ~PC in ultra setting, at E3

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
http://www.gamepur.com/news/14571-n...smooth-framerate-similar-pc-port-ultra-s.html
Sony Online Entertainment has confirmed that they will be showcasing Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 at E3 2014 and added that it will be available in playable form as well.

The information was shared by SOE in the latest episode of Higby. You can watch the recap of the episode below, skip to 7:30 where they start talking about it.
There's also information regarding at what resolution Planetside 2 runs at Playstation 4. The developer confirmed that its glorious 1080p with "SMOOTH" frame-rate (this could mean no 60 FPS as SOE would have said so if they have achieved it).

The developer also stated that Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 is like its running on PC at Ultra Setting.

The developer also stated that Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 is like its running on PC at Ultra Setting.

If this game only runs at 30fps this is simply not true.

KORNdoggy

you do know performance and graphical settings arn't the same thing right?

i can tell you right now if i cranked up the graphical setting on PS2 on my laptop i'd be getting a framerate between 2 and 5 FPS. lol

Where is the most important detail? THE RELEASE WINDOW!?!?!

This was supposed to be out months ago!

Give me a timeframe damn you! :)

Nzyme32

Key word here seems to be "like" its running at ultra. Pretty sure someone posted that there was a previous claim that it would be "better" than that, which seems unlikely when comparing even systems better speced than the ps4. When they say "smooth" frame rate, as long as its stable and in the 50s it should be fine. This game certainly benefits from high fps when the action kicks off

jabuseika

I can't wait to see what a 200+/Vehicles/Infantry/Airplanes fire fight looks like.

I remember my computer chugging whenever I entered a heavily contested area.

I can't wait to see what a 200+/Vehicles/Infantry/Airplanes fire fight looks like.

I jusr hope the performance level is maintained when the game's action gets heavy and chaotic.

Qassim

It's not like that anymore though, right? They released several significant performance and optimisation focused patches that in my experience significantly improved the performance. Although the game on Ultra now looks noticeably worse than it did when the game first came out.

IN&OUT

Banned
Awesome news. PS4 keeps delivering on all fronts.

This with Rumored project BEAST will steal a lot of my precious time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Key word here seems to be "like" its running at ultra. Pretty sure someone posted that there was a previous claim that it would be "better" than that, which seems unlikely when comparing even systems better speced than the ps4. When they say "smooth" frame rate, as long as its stable and in the 50s it should be fine. This game certainly benefits from high fps when the action kicks off

I strongly doubt that "smooth framerate" is referring to ~60fps.

JawzPause

I feel like "smooth" frame rate is being said a lot recently when developers can't quite reach 60fps. I'll be more than happy if it's locked 30fps if that's what he's saying.

Zeppeli

Banned
I feel like "smooth" frame rate is being said a lot recently when developers can't quite reach 60fps. I'll be more than happy if it's locked 30fps if that's what he's saying.

An MMO will never be locked. It will always dip under heavy action

K.Sabot

60 fps is almost always preferred, but I would understand if it wasn't in PS2.

Planetside's always been a logistics game over a twitch shooter. Maybe they do the new thing this gen and give us options in graphics department.

I tried PS2 on the PC, i wanted to like it, but it's a bit meh.

It's one of those "you gotta have a group, preferably friends" game. Nothing like rolling up on a siege in a maglev with 40 other heavy vehicles and flying vehicles.

Man

Really looking forward to this.
Sounds like SOE has done a great job porting the engine to the PS4 architecture.

How are people getting 60fps from smooth framerate?

It could possible mean it just runs at a smooth, constant framerate which could be 30fps.

I doubt it will be 60fps.

Edit: In context the smooth comment was offhanded. It was just used to show that the game was coming along. Right now they're optimizing it so I wouldn't expect it to run perfectly 60 yet. I imagine this will be unlocked but better that ISS and KZSF because of the lower graphics, particles, and effects,

All he said was that they had showed it off to the Cally branch of Sony, that it was in a full playable form, that they are on the UI perfection/ Optimization stage, and that players would get their first chance to play it at E3 and MLG. I also felt that he may have possibly implied a Beta of some type.

nkarafo

So let me get this straight, 30 FPS is considered "smooth frame rate" nowadays?

Oh boy, it's like PS1/N64 days again.

Y0j1mb0

What would be nice is if Sony @ E3 show Planetside 2 in playable form on PS4 and then say "Oh, by the way... you can download it right now at the store."

Goon Boon

Banned
A bit sad, but at least this is a game there's a PC version, unlike Driveclub, which will stick with 30fps until it's dead.

RulkezX

Well I couldn't maintain 60 with a 7970 in Ultra , so the PS4 has no chance.

The games not a twitch shooter anyway , 30fps would be fine.

Anyway, try to get into a active outfit. It changes up the whole game.

PS2 is one of the best games of all time in my book :)

Agreed , at it's best there is very little that comes close in terms of scale and epic moments.

nkarafo

OOT ran at 20fps. I wouldn't call that smooth. Anything 30fs and above will be smooth enough for me :).
That's exactly what i said. Back in the N64/PS1 days games struggled to run at 30fps and many were at 20s. So 30fps was considered smooth.

Yeah, because everything has been 60 FPS lately.
Just because the standards have dropped since the PS2/GC/XBOX generation it doesn't mean i will forget all the 60fps games and claim 30fps is smooth. Its just, "OK".

Pop

Planetside 2 looks gorgeous on PC at max settings. I get anywhere from 40+fps depending on what's going on. If they can achieve that on Ps4 then it will be amazing.

cripterion

30fps locked would be fine for me, on PC I still go from 129fps at times down to 34fps lol.

I'll get it on PS4 to play with some gaffers (I'm playing TR Cobalt and it is a pain) but I hope we can transfer everything we bought on console.

Top Bottom