• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 PS4 details: 1080p, "smooth" framerate, ~PC in ultra setting, at E3

nkarafo

Sounds like you need to just go play this on PC and move on. I have no idea what you were exoecting. Were you really expecting 60+ fps catering to MLG gamers?
No, i wasn't expecting anything really, i don't even know what game this is. I just saw a "smooth" frame rate posing on the title and then discovered the game is a first person shooter. I thought, well, that must mean 60fps.

But someone explained that this game was never smooth to begin with, even on PCs. Which is the only acceptable answer for me.

Get you to download and play the game. F2P game have adverts all the time. Do you think they say the game is crap, no they follow the same principles as most game advertising.?

Come on now.
My point is is that there's no real benefit to them bullshitting us. If the game runs terribly most people won't keep playing and they won't make any money whatsoever. It's not like a normal game where they've already locked you in after you've paid for it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't get your point. I'm sure the game will dip below 30fps at points due to sheer MMO whackiness - as it did on PC for me too - but if the game is capped at 30fps I'm sure it'll be hitting that the vast majority of the time if they allow enough overhead to account for dips (say, running at around ~40fps uncapped).

If they don't cap the framerate, then it'll be pretty horrible. I don't mind the uncapped framerate in FFXIV because the pace of the game and the style of input doesn't make the variability noticeable but it'd be very distracting in PS2 where your viewpoint is constantly changing.

My point is they touting high end setting (which will make the frame rate take a hit) while also deciding to cap the game at 30. It doesn't take much to realise that if they're chasing that high end setting in a game as variable as mmo that the frame will likely get pretty atrocious during the largest battles.

My point is is that there's no real benefit to them bullshitting us. If the game runs terribly most people won't keep playing and they won't make any money whatsoever. It's not like a normal game where they've already locked you in after you've paid for it.

Oh course there is. Have you never seen F2P ads basically lie? They do it more often than paid games.

Apath

Can't wait for this to come out. Wasn't the biggest fan of it on the PC, but then again my computer could only run it at low settings.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
No, i wasn't expecting anything really, i don't even know what game this is. I just saw a "smooth" frame rate posing on the title and then discovered the game is a first person shooter. I thought, well, that must mean 60fps.

But someone explained that this game was never smooth to begin with, even on PCs. Which is the only acceptable answer for me.
I played PS2 on PC pre-optimisation patch but 30fps was the only reasonable performance target for me there too. The scale is incomparable to any other game and it's one example where graphics are more important than framerate due to visibility. At lower settings you can't see distant units which puts you at a tremendous disadvantage.

Hellshy.

Key word here seems to be "like" its running at ultra. Pretty sure someone posted that there was a previous claim that it would be "better" than that, which seems unlikely when comparing even systems better speced than the ps4. When they say "smooth" frame rate, as long as its stable and in the 50s it should be fine. This game certainly benefits from high fps when the action kicks off

I remember them saiying it would be same as ultra settings not like ultra settings. I am pretty sure they never said better though

cripterion

Would also be interesting to see how the console crow reacts to 20€ priced weapons, or 9€ helmets (made by players nonetheless).
I know all this is optional but I seriously think they're going overboard with some of the prices and I'm an Auraxium member from the start.

I stopped playing PlanetSide 2 but recently hopped on to check out development and was pleasantly surprised to find a steady 60 fps even in large battles, whereas as before I was getting 20 to 30. They've definitely come a long way with optimization.

Blackthorn

My point is they touting high end setting (which will make the frame rate take a hit) while also deciding to cap the game at 30. It doesn't take much to realise that if they're chasing that high end setting in a game as variable as mmo that the frame will likely get pretty atrocious during the largest battles.
Ah, I see.

I'm staying optimistic and hoping they've optimised to keep large battles playable. It doesn't strike me as an unachievable goal but we'll see.

DryvBy

I'm sure there are plenty of people running at 30fps on PC.

I hate this idea that 30fps is not playable. 60fps doesn't equate to instant fun. I played Planetside 2 at 30fps until I upgraded my card a couple years ago. I still had fun.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I stopped playing PlanetSide 2 but recently hopped on to check out development and was pleasantly surprised to find a steady 60 fps even in large battles, whereas as before I was getting 20 to 30. They've definitely come a long way with optimization.

That certainly sounds like good news.

I still remain high sceptical because of the nature of mmo's and PS4 weak CPU. I hope it runs well, but I can't bring myself to believe it will. Not yet at least.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
They did a lot fps wise the game fly now with a 780 even in larger combat area. I like the hit registration but the animations are ruff, still it's free so I appreciate what they have done to optimize it on pc

Blackthorn

That certainly sounds like good news.

I still remain high sceptical because of the nature of mmo's and PS4 weak CPU. I hope it runs well, but I can't bring myself to believe it will. Not yet at least.
AFAIK, the optimisations were to increase multicore performance, which should be good news for the PS4.

Edit: Yup.

Bold One

I see now every single thread for a FPS for PS4 is destined to turn into a 60vs30 fps debacle.

For me personally, 30 fps is perfectly fine as long as it does not dip under it.

Will console game makers adapt to this need of the customers and implement an option in their games?

dem PC guyz need to justify those beefy rigs

Durante

I don't play it so I'm not sure, but was PS2 the game where they did an "optimization" patch which actually reduced the quality of some of the maximum settings?

Blackthorn

I don't play it so I'm not sure, but was PS2 the game where they did an "optimization" patch which actually reduced the quality of some of the maximum settings?
They patched out some of the more demanding (and superfluous) PhysX effects when I was playing pre-optimisation so it wouldn't surprise me.

stryke

Haven't touched PS2 in a long time, but I remember in one of their dev vids, one of the "optimisations" was reducing the number of unique assets.

No

They optimized the code so that it would run better on amd and multicore cpus. You can still control the low level settings

Qassim

To my eyes (and based of some of the things they were saying in the developer diaries about removing things that most people wouldn't notice) - it did reduce the quality of various settings. (Ultra before looked better than Ultra after).

BigDug13

I wonder if they're going to lock out some of the continents until the population gains a foothold kind of like they did on PC as they rolled it out? Since this doesn't have any crossplay with PC, it's going to suck if only a few hundred people are trying to play in a HUGE empty world unless they focus players while the population matures.

BigDug13

guessing by Smooth they mean 30fps

that or unlocked

but not 60fps

I'm hoping they mean smooth because if it was unlocked the framerate sits between 40-50 but dips to 30 during heavy action and they decided to just cap it at 30 for a smooth experience.

What I would hate to see is pushing the PS4 to "just" get to 30fps and during any heavy action, it dips into the low 20's or teens.

My god the whole 30/60 fps is beyond annoying now, Let it go and stop derailing threads into it, Locked 30 is perfectly acceptable if we get the eye candy, Console gamers i dont think are that trivial to care about 30/60fps..., Especially casuals who dont venture online.

As for PS2, Looks decent enough, Im hoping it is out before Destiny so i get a taste of what those types of games are like.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
My god the whole 30/60 fps is beyond annoying now, Let it go and stop derailing threads into it, Locked 30 is perfectly acceptable if we get the eye candy, Console gamers i dont think are that trivial to care about 30/60fps..., Especially casuals who dont venture online.

As for PS2, Looks decent enough, Im hoping it is out before Destiny so i get a taste of what those types of games are like.

no, console gamers who make fifty page threads over fractional resolution differences definitely aren't trivial enough to care about a game being twice as fluid and responsive.

reKon

Banned
have a feeling that this will end up being one of the biggest and most fun F2Ps titles for a while and I wouldn't be surprised if a new PS4 owner would be satisfied with this until games like Infamous hit that $30 mark

BigDug13

no, console gamers who make fifty page threads over fractional resolution differences definitely aren't trivial enough to care about a game being twice as fluid and responsive.

If this was a console war thread and one of the consoles was running this game at a lower setting, you'd have a point. But it's an exclusive game being chosen to run at 30fps because PC's even have trouble running it at 60fps.

Game is amazing on pc. Ps4 players should be very excited. The hype levels seem low unfortunately.

Mainly because this was supposed to be a launch title. Then a launch window title. Now six months later were being told it'll be playable in June at a conference but still no release date in site. Hard to be hyped about that.

Speaking of games that should've launched awhile ago. Where's my N++??

ghst

thanks for the laugh
If this was a console war thread and one of the consoles was running this game at a lower setting, you'd have a point. But it's an exclusive game being chosen to run at 30fps because PC's even have trouble running it at 60fps.

trouble at 60fps for my three year old midrange rig is 60FPS out in the open, dropping to 45 in some of the more crazy biodome fights. much better performance than i witnessed with battlefield MP on PS4, which is regularly toted as a 60fps game.

i'm sure the PS4 GPU could handle something similar at high settings, but i doubt that's the bottleneck here.

omonimo

Banned
trouble at 60fps for my three year old midrange rig is 60FPS out in the open, dropping to 45 in some of the more crazy biodome fights. much better performance than i witnessed with battlefield MP on PS4, which is regularly toted as a 60fps game.

i'm sure the PS4 GPU could handle something similar at high settings, but i doubt the bottleneck here is the GPU.

I'm not sure to understand. 45 fps issues on ps4 Battlefield are caused to the console fans because don't give a fuck about the difference between 30 & 60 fps? Seems you say so to me O_O

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm not sure to understand. 45 fps issues on ps4 Battlefield are caused to the console fans because don't give a fuck about the difference between 30 & 60 fps? Seems you say so to me O_O

please keep your dog away from your keyboard. thanks.

Majanew

Banned
Can't wait to check this game out.

I just hope the frame-rate is a solid 30. None of that terrible fluctuating nonsense.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Didn't expect 60fps from this at all.

As long as it looks close to PC ultra, this will be amazing.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
i wonder for smooth if they mean 40fps on average, 30 you can tell it is a little slower however around 40 thats when you can feel a difference

what did you say...?
anyways, sad that I can't play this game as it givew vicious motion sickness, headaches and nausea. :'(

Sure, while we are at it, lets dump down every other competitive game genre then. Just because not everyone is good at fighting games (for instance), lets just bump the graphics/resolution/unnecessary details, etc and make them run at 30fps too. Lets make every single game cater to the average Joe who only cares about nice still screenshots.

Man, the more you post the more you make it clear that you've never touched Planetside 2 or even know what it is and why it runs the way it does, what challenges that shit poses to devs who want to squeeze it onto the PS4. I don't disagree with what you believe the target for most games should be but Planetside 2 isn't most games, Planetside 2 is a competitive FPS packing a thousand or more players across a massive map with absolutely balls out fucking hectic battles. As someone who's played on and off over the years the fact that they can even hit a reliable framerate on the PS4 is something to be commended. If that's actually the case.

I'm more than fine calling 30fps 'smooth' if it's stable. It's not really 'standards dropping' when you consider what the game itself brings to the table.

Top Bottom